Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Not slow smoke directly but related; with my last brisket I bought from Costco (usda Prime) I cut off the point and then trimmed it to try as stew meat. Thawed and browned with some onions and S&P this morning and into the crockpot for ~3 1/2 hours on low. Added carrots and taters and let it go for another 4 hours and added other veggies (peas and carrots).

Oh mama the point of a prime brisket makes for some incredible beef stew. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not slow smoke directly but related; with my last brisket I bought from Costco (usda Prime) I cut off the point and then trimmed it to try as stew meat. Thawed and browned with some onions and S&P this morning and into the crockpot for ~3 1/2 hours on low. Added carrots and taters and let it go for another 4 hours and added other veggies (peas and carrots).

Oh mama the point of a prime brisket makes for some incredible beef stew. :swoon:

I was at the big salt lake costco today and they had prime and choice whole briskets and flats. I asked the guy what happens to the points from the flats (that cost about $5 more per pound for the trimmed flat). He pretty much told me that almost nobody wants that part so it usually gets trimmed and chopped up. :gonk:

The point is the best part. :ohdear:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What kind of barbarity is going on in Utah?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Mormonism?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I have seen a monkey show in Nuevo Laredo and they don't do that to meat so it can't be anything as tame as religion.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

I was at the big salt lake costco today and they had prime and choice whole briskets and flats. I asked the guy what happens to the points from the flats (that cost about $5 more per pound for the trimmed flat). He pretty much told me that almost nobody wants that part so it usually gets trimmed and chopped up. :gonk:

Another Salt lake local? :hf: That Costco is something to behold. I split between sandy and south Jordan because those are closest to me.

As the resident Mormon goon I can say that's not it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Another Salt lake local? :hf: That Costco is something to behold. I split between sandy and south Jordan because those are closest to me.

As the resident Mormon goon I can say that's not it.

SLC? Heavens no. I am a Heberite.

The SLC Costco is awesome, but it is the only one where you cannot find parking on a Sunday. I was born and raised catholic, so I take the opportunity to shop on Sundays, mainly the costco in Orem. One of my liberal Park City coworkers was looking for good brisket, hence the trip this AM to the SLC location.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You turned the point into STEW MEAT!?

Fog Tripper posted:

$5 more per pound or $5 a pound? Our Seattle Costco's do this as well. If they're basically throwing points away, I wonder if they'd sell them for the same price as the whole packer ($3/lb). I'd buy the gently caress out of points at that price. The only thing keeping me from buying brisket at this point is that I'm only cooking for 2 people and my wife doesn't like brisket much.

My local Albertsons (grocery store) had a shitload of corned beef points out yesterday for $1.99/lb. They're left over from St. Patrick's day (same May sell-by date as the ones I bought then). I already have a bunch of pastrami in the freezer, but I'll keep checking to see if they drop to $0.99/lb..

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

$5 more per pound or $5 a pound?

"Trimmed" flats were in the neighborhood of $7.75/lb and whole primes were $2.99/lb. If my wife had not told me to rein in the spending I would have gotten a whole prime. I came away with what I went for; pork belly. No doubt the whole primes will be there when I need it. They were truly untrimmed and was like a steel cable of fat running the lengths. Personally I cannot fathom why trimmed flats are so much more expensive, as I much prefer the points for flavor and ease of smoking/cooking.

Now I have to decide how to cure the belly.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 1, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

No Ragrets :cool:

The strangest thing about Costco flats vs packers is the flats are USDA Choice and the whole packers are Prime cuts. The prime has been around $3/lb for the last 7 or 8 months and the Choice flats have been as high as $9/lb but usually between $7-8.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I bought a 14.5 WSM a few weeks ago, and have only smoked chicken thighs on it because of time constraints. This past weekend I finally had some time to do a couple of pork butts. They went on at 5AM, and I decided to foil one at ~160 and leave the other one unfoiled as an experiment. As advertised, the foiled one hit 190 much faster, but had less crispy bark.

6 hours into the smoke

after 14 hours, all done

Pulled. I like to use my hands to pull the meat into chunks and then use a dull cleaver to chop it up, easier than shredding and it ends up very similar

I like pulled pork sandwiches with potato buns and coleslaw on top, no BBQ sauce. Bush's baked beans on the side

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I bought a 14.5 WSM a few weeks ago, and have only smoked chicken thighs on it because of time constraints. This past weekend I finally had some time to do a couple of pork butts. They went on at 5AM, and I decided to foil one at ~160 and leave the other one unfoiled as an experiment. As advertised, the foiled one hit 190 much faster, but had less crispy bark.

6 hours into the smoke

after 14 hours, all done

Pulled. I like to use my hands to pull the meat into chunks and then use a dull cleaver to chop it up, easier than shredding and it ends up very similar

I like pulled pork sandwiches with potato buns and coleslaw on top, no BBQ sauce. Bush's baked beans on the side

Uh, beyond the bark can you report on the differences in both?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Fog Tripper posted:

Uh, beyond the bark can you report on the differences in both?

On the inside? I couldn't tell any differences at all, both meats were really moist and great. The main differences were cooking speed and bark

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I actually picked up a 14.5" WSM this week, and did a pork butt as my very first thing. Definitely going to need some practice holding temp.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I wonder if I can fit a piglet on my Hasty-Bake Legacy 131 if I take the head and legs off...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ugh, family is so impatient. I never get to just let poo poo smoke. Always having to finish in oven with Texas crutch because girls have bedtimes! And the temp isn't rising fast enough, and maybe you should have started at 4am instead of 6am.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

djfooboo posted:

maybe you should have started at 4am instead of 6am.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Assembled my smoker last night! Still need to season it and then smoke some stuff this weekend. :kimchi:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Ugh, family is so impatient. I never get to just let poo poo smoke. Always having to finish in oven with Texas crutch because girls have bedtimes! And the temp isn't rising fast enough, and maybe you should have started at 4am instead of 6am.

That's why I keep a journal. If I'm grilling anything I've grilled before it lets me see any details and cook times that I may have forgotten. I don't think I've ever grilled something that didn't take longer than what was listed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The OP is a little lacking. What is the general consensus on what smoker to buy as a newbie. Or what details do you need from me before you can make an appropriate suggestion?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I bought a masterwork 30 and haven't had issues. Its electric sure but it makes good food and works for me. Speaking of which is 3-2 for beef ribs good? Meaning three smoke then with sauce for the last two.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

djfooboo posted:

maybe you should have started at 4am instead of 6am.

This is the truth right here.

Anyway, I did Meathead's Rendezvous/Memphis-style hot grilled back ribs tonight with the vinegar mop, and though I overdid them a bit (expected them to have that same break during the bend test you get when smoking ribs), my testers said these were the best ribs they'd ever had... Better than anything I had ever smoked perfectly over the years. I don't know what the gently caress to think now. I used my Hasty-Bake Legacy 131 so I had the ribs about 24" from the coals and I used lump charcoal (Dragon's Breath) with no wood chunks.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
The majority of people like "fall off the bone" ribs. Others can sperg out about how those are "over done ribs" but that's what people like. As long as it's not mushy meat, who cares?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Worked from home, tossed 2 roaster chickens with thyme, and sage in their chicken hole in the smoker.. kids enjoyed the one.. going to take the second one for dinner tomorrow.. hope it's tasty.

That is all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Indolent Bastard posted:

The OP is a little lacking. What is the general consensus on what smoker to buy as a newbie. Or what details do you need from me before you can make an appropriate suggestion?

I just got mine this week and have yet to use it, but I'll walk you through my considerations. First, I read a shitload of articles on amazingribs.com as that guy had a lot of info on the different types, which he likes, differences, etc. Lots of info there to help you figure out what you want and what's important to you. Me, I wanted something simple that I could walk away from for hours at a time but was still pretty cheap and easy to use since I'm new to this. I chose a gas smoker as supposedly the flavor is better vs. electric (but some say not as good as charcoal, or at least different) and because of the simplicity and cost. I would figure out if you want pellet, gas, electric, or charcoal first then look into different models of that type. They all have their pros and cons and everybody in this thread will probably give you reasons to pick one type over another so it's a lot of personal preference. They all work so you can't really choose wrong.

I read a shitload of reviews on the one that I eventually bought and my only surprise was how massive the drat thing was when it got here. In the end I'll probably have spent about $3-400 in my setup, so it's nothing special.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Like Larrymer said there is no clear answer. You have to weigh all kinds of things. I like the MES because it is set and forget and relatively cheap but it has flaws (doesn't get super hot, etc) so you have to do a lot of good vs bad deciding.

Or you can get something now and start smoking, then use that to figure out what you really want and buy something different later. I have a 40" MES which I love but will eventually get something to compliment it when I want more hands on smoking with higher temps. I won't get rid of the MES when I do though. Last night I threw some salmon in it while I worked out for a couple hours and when I was done so was it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Buy a Broil King Keg and an iQ temperature control/stoker.

You're welcome.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trastion posted:

Like Larrymer said there is no clear answer. You have to weigh all kinds of things. I like the MES because it is set and forget and relatively cheap but it has flaws (doesn't get super hot, etc) so you have to do a lot of good vs bad deciding.

Or you can get something now and start smoking, then use that to figure out what you really want and buy something different later. I have a 40" MES which I love but will eventually get something to compliment it when I want more hands on smoking with higher temps. I won't get rid of the MES when I do though. Last night I threw some salmon in it while I worked out for a couple hours and when I was done so was it.

I love my mes for easy smoking, worked from home yesterday, went to the store on lunch and got 2 fresh chickens and poultry herbs, and then tossed them in the smoker and had dinner for 2 days all set up.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I also love my MES40 and it's brainless easy to smoke lots of stuff at once and get it done consistently and on a predictable timeframe. The only thing I'd say, is you don't want an MES if you don't have another grill for high heat stuff.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Just received my BBQGuru DX2 in the mail and I plan on using it tonight for an overnight smoke. Anyone who has one have any suggestions for me? Or is it as simple as follow the instructions and everything will be fiiiiine.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Does bacon count as slow smoking?
Got sick of not being able to find decent maple bacon, so this is part of the belly I bought at the mega costco this past weekend. 3 slabs in the cure and waiting 7 days before it hits the smoker.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Does bacon count as slow smoking?
Got sick of not being able to find decent maple bacon, so this is part of the belly I bought at the mega costco this past weekend. 3 slabs in the cure and waiting 7 days before it hits the smoker.

This is cool. Let us know how it turns out.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've done Canadian bacon with this recipe and it comes out a lot better and smokier than any packaged one I've done. Can't figure out how to slice it evenly though; tried by hand and with a mandolin.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RisqueBarber posted:

This is cool. Let us know how it turns out.

Before I smoke it I need to figure out what type of wood to use. The obvious choice being maple, but the maple flavor SHOULD be coming from the actual maple syrup that is in the cure. That recipe doesn't even involve smoking. Should I go with Hickory for the smoke or maple for a more subdued smoke?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

snyprmag posted:

I've done Canadian bacon with this recipe and it comes out a lot better and smokier than any packaged one I've done. Can't figure out how to slice it evenly though; tried by hand and with a mandolin.

Try slightly freezing it before slicing. Not solid but let it firm up a bit. Though I do cut sliced frozen bacon up into smaller pieces when it is solid too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

Before I smoke it I need to figure out what type of wood to use. The obvious choice being maple, but the maple flavor SHOULD be coming from the actual maple syrup that is in the cure. That recipe doesn't even involve smoking. Should I go with Hickory for the smoke or maple for a more subdued smoke?

In my experience, maple syrup in the cure is enough to give a good maple flavor. Apple wood is good for bacon. Hickory is good too, but can easily get overwhelming on bacon IMO.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you are okay with charcoal I highly recommend a WSM. Not only is it pretty easy to use but it's a great smoker beyond "for beginners" and you may never move onto another type or brand

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In my experience, maple syrup in the cure is enough to give a good maple flavor. Apple wood is good for bacon. Hickory is good too, but can easily get overwhelming on bacon IMO.

Yeah that was my fear with the hickory.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hickory is always the right choice for pork. Just use one chunk and let it get down to a thin blue stream of smoke before the meat goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why not just use a mix of apple AND hickory?