Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

The final moments of Inside were great. There's little narrative structure to the game but as vignettes of individual moments it's perfect. And if Little Nightmares keeps upping the ante then I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well.

It does indeed, the last area is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last part of Inside was bad because it was dumb schlock after a mostly tense and atmospheric first 9/10th of the game. It's the part where a horror movie goes bad because they show too much of the monster.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the black husserl posted:

The ending to INSIDE was masterful. Had me on the loving floor. I know a lot of gamers didn't like it because a lot of gamers are completely unfamiliar with abstraction or ambiguity and they also tend to hate things they're unfamiliar with.
I'm going to give you a swirlie

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The last part of Inside was bad because it was dumb schlock after a mostly tense and atmospheric first 9/10th of the game. It's the part where a horror movie goes bad because they show too much of the monster.

I disagree. It's the climactic payoff in every horror movie where poo poo hits the fan. You've spent 80 minutes in suspense, now it's time for the action payoff. It's the alien queen in Aliens, the big orgy blob in Slither, all the monsters being released in Cabin in the Woods, etc.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't think I've ever smiled as hard at a game than in the last twenty minutes of Inside. It was so goddamn good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I always considered the end of INSIDE cathartic. You spent the last couple of hours sneaking and desperately trying to stay alive. Now you're going to smash up all their poo poo and no one can stop you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

I disagree. It's the climactic payoff in every horror movie where poo poo hits the fan. You've spent 80 minutes in suspense, now it's time for the action payoff. It's the alien queen in Aliens, the big orgy blob in Slither, all the monsters being released in Cabin in the Woods, etc.

Those are are different styles of horror though, a better analogy would be when Pyramid Head rips someone's skin off in the up to then pretty decent Silent Hill movie.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are are different styles of horror though, a better analogy would be when Pyramid Head rips someone's skin off in the up to then pretty decent Silent Hill movie.

The important thing to me in a horror/suspense film is the release in the end. You've spent the majority of your time running, hiding, being vulnerable but now the tables are turned. Your reward for being careful is paid off with wanton destruction. It's not a sudden burst of action to break the tension, it's the climax leading up to the end.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Some people find 'the hero kills all the bad guys and escapes' kinda hackneyed even if you do it in a different way than usual.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Some people find 'the hero kills all the bad guys and escapes' kinda hackneyed even if you do it in a different way than usual.

The protagonist doesn't necessarily have to escape (and you can't really say Inside was a happy ending), but endings with no resolution or payoff are the most boring poo poo. The stinger at the end like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street are fun. Night of the Living Dead's somber rear end ending is really poignant. poo poo like Texas Chainsaw Massacre's prequel is straight garbage. It makes the 90 minutes leading up to the end pointless.

I'm glad I read those Outlast 2 spoilers because hoo boy does that series have every single one of my narrative pet peeves wrapped with a neat bow.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"The protagonists do the proper thing to defeat the threat, you actually see the threat get defeated, and then it inexplicably pops up again at the last second to kill everyone because gently caress you" is my least favorite thing in horror and reminds me of all the awful early 2000's generic B-movie attempts that end exactly like that

I'd rather have nothing

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah I'm absolutely not arguing for bullshit twist endings, I just don't like the sudden "protagonist gets power" moments that occur in Little Nightmares and Inside as much as I would if the protagonists kept using their wits and stuff.
I know it's thematically appropriate for LN but I just find it a bit out of place in the "cute thing in scary black and white world" subgenre

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Was that supposed to be the protagonist "winning" at the end of INSIDE? It was positive in a sense, but pyrrhic as all hell. I took it to mean he weakened the security on the Crime Against All Creation/Katamari enough to free it, at which point it absorbed him and went on a furious rampage, spending the last of its energy on revenge as it died in the same agony it lived. The thing struck me as a terrible gestalt, not the protagonist's rad new biomech.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if we're talking about silent hill movies, The Void is the most Silent Hill-like film and people should watch it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Was that supposed to be the protagonist "winning" at the end of INSIDE? It was positive in a sense, but pyrrhic as all hell. I took it to mean he weakened the security on the Crime Against All Creation/Katamari enough to free it, at which point it absorbed him and went on a furious rampage, spending the last of its energy on revenge as it died in the same agony it lived. The thing struck me as a terrible gestalt, not the protagonist's rad new biomech.

The way I always took it was after the last encounter with the Drowned Girl, you're basically playing as the flesh-blob remotely controlling the kid's corpse to free it and get it out of the station. So in that respect, it is a victory, it's just that the game covertly switches protagonists from the scared little boy to an agonized lump of agglomerated brain-meat.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Bogart posted:

Yup, that's why, because you're the refined elite of gaming, congratulations, the black husserl. Truly, nobody can compare to you, the arbiter of taste. Oh, Braid? Goes wonderful with a Chianti. This pretension gets us nowhere.

Come on dude, everybody knows the ideal pairing for Braid is a Malbec.

I played Little Nightmares and it was good but felt exactly like playing a photocopy of INSIDE, with all the diminishing returns you'd imagine. I feel bad for Tarsus if they weren't seriously influenced by Playdead because they got scooped.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oxxidation posted:

The way I always took it was after the last encounter with the Drowned Girl, you're basically playing as the flesh-blob remotely controlling the kid's corpse to free it and get it out of the station. So in that respect, it is a victory, it's just that the game covertly switches protagonists from the scared little boy to an agonized lump of agglomerated brain-meat.

The alternate ending establishes that the boy is always an avatar of the blob monster. And it makes sense, considering the game starts in the forest where most of the slave clones are grown and harvested. Once the boy loosens its restraints enough to escape, I figure the blob absorbed him so as to no longer have to split its attention. Or it might have done it reflexively as a consequence of being an abomination of science. Either way, you're always playing as the blob monster, just in the body of a boy for most of the game.

I don't have a real good read on the drowned girl but my theory was always that they want people to stay with them, and tend to drown them in circumstances where they can't be revived. That's why if they grab you in any other part of the game you die, but in that one particular place they're able to bring you back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've always taken the alternate ending to be metacommentary on the nature of "control" in video games and not as a part of the plot itself. It's a lot neater that way.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think what happened in the alt ending is not a sign the boy was always controlled by the blob thing. After the boy drowns, his behaviour subtly changes. He barely responds to things happening around him from the on which hints that things have changed internally. If the blob was always pulling strings this doesn't make sense.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That says to me that boy was a puppet the whole time, but at the beginning still alive. It's just when he drowns, he dies, and after that it's Blobbinus forcing motor function through dead limbs .

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mindblast, seems like you're thinking of the normal ending. But the secret ending suggests that the boy was remote controlled all along, by a system connected to the blob facility.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh I know the ending you're referring to. It's not the normal one and the game only has two endings to begin with :)(I think? :tinfoil:). I just figured there was more than one force trying to remote control things, due to the difference in the details. Many ways you can interpret that, I guess. Another interpretation of the secret ending that I've seen floating around is that we, the players, are the ones getting disconnected from the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We are the blob.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I really liked Little Nightmares, I just wish they'd done more with the premise of the Maw because the setting has so much potential.

Along with gluttony, masks seem to be a running design element. Every character has their face covered in some way, even the Chef, although it's easier to see on the website render than in game. Not that it has much of a deeper meaning behind it though, I just thought it was a nice touch.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bogart posted:

That says to me that boy was a puppet the whole time, but at the beginning still alive. It's just when he drowns, he dies, and after that it's Blobbinus forcing motor function through dead limbs .

Are you guys talking about limbo or inside ? I absolutely loved limbo, should I play inside ?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Inside improves on Limbo in just about every way possible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are you guys talking about limbo or inside ? I absolutely loved limbo, should I play inside ?

If you liked Limbo then don't read this black text, go buy the game. You can finish it in an evening.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up Little Nightmares and man that was good but super short, especially the last two chapters which just seemed rush you through them. Really wish there was more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I sincerely hope that all of you survival horror fans are playing Prey because god drat is it good. Not incredibly horror-ible, but certainly one of the better Survival Horror games mechanically.

It's System Shock 3. Rock it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it's System Shock without the horror coat of paint or something? The game doesn't seem like horror to me, but a lot of people are comparing it to System/Bioshock but both of those games are straight up horror and the biggest draw for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If you were scared at any point during Bioshock you should be careful to not stand up too fast or eat too quickly, otherwise your heart might give out.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you were scared at any point during Bioshock you should be careful to not stand up too fast or eat too quickly, otherwise your heart might give out.

To be fair it did have some scary bits early on in the medical plaza before you find the shotgun. After that it's just action tho.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fort frolic certainly had some horror to it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Horror is about tension, Bioshock and System Shock have a ton of that. No one said they were scared during Bioshock.

Except for the mannequin part, gently caress that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The thing with system shock 3 (calling it prey was a big mistake Bethesda!) is that anything small can be an enemy in disguise and that includes pick me ups. It will even have the same ui prompts, except the options are crossed out. While I am sure some are scripted, a ton of them are dynamic. It could easily have felt cheap but they do have tells that give them away(like finding two ashtrays next to eachother, or an odd # of items in a way that doesn't look right).

I guess it's more tense than horror but yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Horror is about tension, Bioshock and System Shock have a ton of that. No one said they were scared during Bioshock.

Except for the mannequin part, gently caress that.

Be careful not to overfill balloons then, sounds like that would be too intense for you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mindblast posted:

The thing with system shock 3 (calling it prey was a big mistake Bethesda!) is that anything small can be an enemy in disguise and that includes pick me ups. It will even have the same ui prompts, except the options are crossed out. While I am sure some are scripted, a ton of them are dynamic. It could easily have felt cheap but they do have tells that give them away(like finding two ashtrays next to eachother, or an odd # of items in a way that doesn't look right).

I guess it's more tense than horror but yeah.

The Mimics are incredible, and they love to run away and hide after getting caught. Some players have even mentioned that Mimics will notice if you're compulsively whacking everything in a room and run away when your back is turned. It's pretty common to see a Mimic escape into a dead end, and then you come around the corner and have to try and figure out which object is fake. Sometimes it's easy (like a second overturned trash can next to one in the corner), and sometimes it's a fifth piece of crumpled paper on the ground.

There's also a huge amount of emails and audio logs. Not only is every corpse named, each computer is also assigned to a distinctive person so you may come across the same emails several times (either from an email blast sent to a group of people or finding one of the people who sent an email to another guy and seeing what they sent). Everything is connected in a natural way that makes it feel like an authentic living space instead of just labs and machinery. There are posters and books everywhere to provide a further sense of authenticity to the world.

And just like System Shock and Deus Ex before it, the game is hard. It takes from the late 90s RPGs more than anything else in that it's very easy to be killed an hour into the game on Medium difficulty and you have a limited inventory that forces you to figure out what you really need.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Be careful not to overfill balloons then, sounds like that would be too intense for you

You know that joke wasn't funny the last time you made it right

System Shock 1/2 was creepy as gently caress in it's weird low-res silent enemy way and Bioshock was at least as much of a horror game as Dead Space

But don't drive too fast or you'll have a heart attack!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

You're not out. Remember that diorama? It even included the light beam.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Heh, bet you guys can't handle HORROR like ME (turns on marble hornets)