Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the deal with the game raising image contrast every time you fight a mimic? Like every time I get into a fight with a mimic, somehow everything gets darker and results in mimics blending into literally any surface.
Is that a game mechanic or an unfortunate visual effect or what? I cannot see what I'm fighting.

EDIT: Also jesus loving christ, the "objective updated" sound isn't supposed to startle the player more often that god drat enemies. Why is it so freaking loud and sudden?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with the game raising image contrast every time you fight a mimic? Like every time I get into a fight with a mimic, somehow everything gets darker and results in mimics blending into literally any surface.
Is that a game mechanic or an unfortunate visual effect or what? I cannot see what I'm fighting.

EDIT: Also jesus loving christ, the "objective updated" sound isn't supposed to startle the player more often that god drat enemies. Why is it so freaking loud and sudden?

There's a status condition thing in the game, one of which is fear and countered with booze. I suspect the weird graphical thing around mimics is that condition.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Valatar posted:

There's a status condition thing in the game, one of which is fear and countered with booze. I suspect the weird graphical thing around mimics is that condition.

That would make sense. I need to keep an eye on my status bar.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hm, so far this game seems to be really good. Basically it's the true System Shock spiritual sequel that Bioshock pretended to be, as far as I can tell

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Valatar posted:

fear countered with booze
drat, they finally made an accurate depiction of alcoholism in gaming form.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
First review is out, or at least the only one I can find. No idea how reputable this publication is but they gave it a 9/10.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Just got the Research-Camera-except-it-has-a-silly-name and yeah, this game is alright. It's not as good as system shock 1-2 or bioshock 1-2, but it's a acceptable knock-off imitator with a story that goes in fits and starts.

Edit: With the worst hacking minigame ever. Forgot that part. Jesus I hate this hacking minigame.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 4, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Valatar posted:

lol this is great

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know where I get my preorder shotgun?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I went into this completely blind and I love it. Literally the only thing I knew was that it had mimics, not more. Day 2 was a nice surprise! And the gloo gun owns!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

First review is out, or at least the only one I can find. No idea how reputable this publication is but they gave it a 9/10.

Considering they never sent out review copies, they have either got a broken street dated version or just made a review based off of the demo and pre release footage. I'd guess the latter based off of the content of the review as there is nothing of substance there, just to be "the first" for page impressions.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 4, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a Nerf Crossbow in this game. Game is good.

It does zero damage, but you can use it to hit buttons and stuff, and the ammo can be recovered.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any news on PC performance yet?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Anyone bought this thing on PS4 have news on the input lag? I don't think my pc can handle this with only a 2.8GHz processor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

Solid? My rig is several years old and I'm having no problems running on a mix of medium/high setting.

i5 3.30GHz
GTX 760
8 gigs of ram

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know where I get my preorder shotgun?

There's a big storage locker in your officer. Just on the right as you come in the door, next to a potted plant.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 4, 2017

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm happy the deus ex stand by of getting heavy lifting and throwing objects at monsters still works.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
How is the combat? I'm still worried about fighting squiggly headcrabs. I'd rather plant my wrench into a humanoid skull. Being a System Shock / Bioshock - like, I'm not expecting anything great, but I don't want it to feel annoying either.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's awesome with a mouse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a big storage locker in your officer. Just on the right as you come in the door, next to a potted plant.

I assume it opens a bit later into the game? Because when I first got to my office there was to prompt to interact with that locker.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

fadam posted:

Pretty good. Was poo poo before I upgraded the AMD drivers but now I'm getting a solid 60 with everything on high with my 290 + i5 4590.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd say combat is functional. About on par for games of this sort.

Whatever control issues people were having they don't appear to be present for kb/mouse.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd say combat is functional. About on par for games of this sort.

Whatever control issues people were having they don't appear to be present for kb/mouse.

I think the input lag issues were specific to PS4, I didn't have any problems on Xbone. The UI is clearly designed for PC though and the experience is not great on console. Definitely a PC game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The combat was extra good until the point where you get an actual gun.

I accidentally took the longest possible route to the Pistol and had to fight a whole bunch of Phantoms using nothing but the wrech, gloo gun and tazer and it was pretty loving great.
There are a whole bunch of environmental hazards you can exploit, especially with the gloo gun which lets you make them stay put while you're setting up some exploding canisters or rupturing toxic pipes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I assume it opens a bit later into the game? Because when I first got to my office there was to prompt to interact with that locker.

Nope, it opened the first time I went to my office. Maybe check to see that your pre-order DLC is showing up in steam?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

for anyone who doesn't care about spoilers or whatever, DraQu is streaming his Nightmare playthrough right now https://www.twitch.tv/draqu_

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this review contains the inaccurate information that the game is made by bethesda but everything else checks out
http://www.clickhole.com/video/prey-perfect-game-propping-open-your-door-so-your--5994

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

6% downloaded at 2.2MB/s. Ung.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reading pretty good impressions on this game. even the lovely forums that complained about the demo are saying they love it so far. I think I'll have to pick this up tomorrow

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

I think the input lag issues were specific to PS4, I didn't have any problems on Xbone. The UI is clearly designed for PC though and the experience is not great on console. Definitely a PC game.

And I know this is going to sound super lovely, but for once I'm glad this is the case.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm downloading it, I'll probably play it tomorrow.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I've been playing it for a while now, just got the research camera, overall it's very good. It feels like what Bioshock should have been, and on higher difficulties it's hard as hell and you actually have to play smart instead of just facetanking everything.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just found out Morgan is from Austin, Texas. Starting to become a trend [with main characters] I've notice what with a lot of software developers moving there recently.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do you get into the italian doctor's secret stash box? you see him put something in there on the video and you can see the box itself under the raised platform but there's no prompt or anything to open

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OK I'm really thinking Arkane love the original Deus Ex.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

OK I'm really thinking Arkane love the original Deus Ex.

Arkane's co-founder and Dishonored 1/2 director, Harvey Smith, was one of the main designers of the original Deus Ex

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

Arkane's co-founder and Dishonored 1/2 director, Harvey Smith, was one of the main designers of the original Deus Ex

This explains a lot.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MinibarMatchman posted:

:prepop: I've been playing that game since around 2006 and didn't put it together. That certainly explains it.
Man, I would love a Deus Ex remaster in this engine.

I've only just started and set the FOV to be 100 using the .cfg file. (PC)
Here it is again for reference

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg

Edit cl_hfov to be the value you want.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 5, 2017

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Can anyone tell me how much trouble I'm going to have with a 2.8Ghz processor instead of the 3.1 in the requirements? RAM and 3d card ect are all good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if anyone has the PS4 version, has anything major been changed from the demo i.e. music beats, aiming controls, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I've only just started and set the FOV to be 100 using the .cfg file. (PC)
Here it is again for reference

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg

Edit cl_hfov to be the value you want.
After saving I set the file to be read only, not sure if the game would otherwise modify it.

For some reason there is no such file in my folder. I've tried reinstalling, deleting saves, etc etc. There is a Profile and a SaveGames folder but no cfg.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 5, 2017