Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Taear posted:

I'm surprised they still haven't removed the techs that give you more sectors. Who uses the maximum amount of sectors ever?

I wish they'd move megastructures out of fortress/etc. Until I read about it in the forum I had no idea they were locked there and wondered why I never got to see them!

I've started using more sectors, up to my limit. Creating smaller sectors with a few planets and a specialization seems to work better than a few large sectors on balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nessin posted:

I've started using more sectors, up to my limit. Creating smaller sectors with a few planets and a specialization seems to work better than a few large sectors on balanced.
I make my sectors based around appealing hyperlane arrangements.

This patch kind of put the last nail in the "unity is for building tall" coffin.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Here's what I would love to see done with military stations as a turtle defense lover(:spergin: below):

- Remove all military stations except for one.
- Remove modules(mines, snares, debuffs) from the military platform.
- Add orbital "hub" station.
-- Only 1 hub per system
-- Not attackable until all platforms are destroyed.
-- Takes some influence per month.
-- All military platforms are built in a radius around it.
-- This contains the modules removed from military stations.
-- Can be upgraded for more module slots.

- Maintenance and energy costs for each platform added to the hub grows exponentially.
- Snares can be added to adjacent systems 2 snares per hub snare module added(plus the current system). Causes fleets FTL drives to malfunction and warp them to the hub the snare is attached to.
- Add AI "Defense Power" measurement in diplomacy screen.

Now you have Military stations that are viable all game long. If it needs extra balancing you can add a "defense capacity" that upgrades alongside naval capacity. If it still needs balanced, add a "bunker buster" weapon for each category that does lots of damage to platforms and hubs. Then you could have a fleet dedicated to just smashing in military hubs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

Removing the Symbol of Unity is annoying. I'd always start a new colony with one of those and a monument. Now I have even less to do as far as buildings go until the planet reaches 5 pop. I guess I can build more basic labs.

I'm actually glad that thing is gone. I always felt pressured to use it to not fall behind in unity, but the normal, upgradeable monument is so much better there's actually no reason to ever use the Symbol of Unity. Now it will never annoy me again with its presence!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Benagain posted:

I thought that just applied to rulers? You no longer get the happiness boost from the charismatic ruler trait, it just applies to negotiations.

The charismatic ruler trait is -25% (?) edict cost and maybe some other stuff, I don't think it gives you happiness though. Champion of the people is the only ruler trait that gives happiness, isn't it? What's apparently getting changed is the charismatic species trait, which used to give +1% for all xenos on the same planet per pop of the charismatic species and +15 relations to everyone if your ruler was of that species. That's being changed to +25 and the happiness effect removed.

They should probably rename either the ruler or species trait...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Not a fan of the change to the Enigmatic Fortress reward. The techs I most cared about were the power plant and the shields, kinda sucks rear end that it'll be a random change to get one of those, let alone if I get stuck with some other lame-o poo poo tech I never used.

Yeah, getting either of the two module techs will feel like a waste for all of the investment required to complete the chain.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libluini posted:

I'm actually glad that thing is gone. I always felt pressured to use it to not fall behind in unity, but the normal, upgradeable monument is so much better there's actually no reason to ever use the Symbol of Unity. Now it will never annoy me again with its presence!

You could build both before. So a direct comparison to the monument doesn't seem very relevant.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

You could build both before. So a direct comparison to the monument doesn't seem very relevant.

And I did, until I realized I liked having one more free tile more. Then the monument won every time. If you value your planet tiles high enough, the direct comparison becomse very relevant.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libluini posted:

And I did, until I realized I liked having one more free tile more. Then the monument won every time. If you value your planet tiles high enough, the direct comparison becomse very relevant.

For a brand new colony, it felt (to me) like it was usually more worth it to build both until you get access to buildings that are actually worth building. I absolutely hate the parts of Stellaris where I'm sitting on my hands waiting for things to tick over, and the part where I'm waiting for a colony to reach 5 pop is one of those. I understand that it's good to have newly-established colonies not produce much for a while to balance expansion and I agree with that, but it's just so boring in its current execution (in particular how the "basic" buildings interact with the first-tier).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, getting either of the two module techs will feel like a waste for all of the investment required to complete the chain.

To be fair, it was massively overpowered before, and both modules are very handy. All you need to finish it is 50 credits and Dark Matter anyway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

quote:

* Share the Burden edict is no longer possible for synthetic empires

I'm feeling personally attacked right now, and

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Thanks for describing the feelings I couldn't find words for

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

When in doubt either go for "a slap in the face" or "an outrage".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

To be fair, it was massively overpowered before, and both modules are very handy. All you need to finish it is 50 credits and Dark Matter anyway.

I don't think I've ever used the +tracking module. It's a tough sell over a Shield capacitor or one of the %-based HP boosters.

I do sometimes use the Evasion one on Corvettes. Now that the dampener is properly restricted to stations I'm not sure how much I'll ever use it either.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hadn't played in a while and didn't realize if different members of a Federation call for the liberation of different worlds and occupy them separately during a war, the resulting post-war nation that gets formed will actually be split into separate nations. So the xenophobic autocrats just got split into democratic spiritualist and royal pacifists, and I am foreseeing troubles in their future.

It's also funny being in a Federation with a bunch of peaceful, xenophile nations who then aggressively push liberation/recruitment campaigns against the surrounding empires. The actual war-hungry Empires aren't getting in this much conquering. Think I can kind of see Star Trek's Federation/Borg comparison, your neighbours start one-by-one turning into shiny, happy republics holding hands. Someone pour me a root beer.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

Now that the dampener is properly restricted to stations I'm not sure how much I'll ever use it either.

Ah, that's where they went. I was wondering why I never saw them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Xae posted:

When in doubt either go for "a slap in the face" or "an outrage".

Turning into a robot Paradox robbed me of my ability to feel human

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

canepazzo posted:

* Boosted the damage output, shield hit points and hull points of military stations and frontier outposts substantially

Wonder how much is "substantially", and if it kills the early game rush.

Really the early game rush will never die; even if you can't take their planet, you can still stop neighbours from settling more and blow up all their mining stations, which is good for crippling the competition.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Truga posted:

Thanks for describing the feelings I couldn't find words for

If only we could share this burden

Strategic Tea posted:

Turning into a robot Paradox robbed me of my ability to feel human distribute the computational workload of computing "feelings" across a network of my peers

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They didn't fix the bug letting you erase gaia worlds with a ringworld. I mean, by the time you can do that now it's entirely pointless as you should be able to trounce a FE, but still.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

For a brand new colony, it felt (to me) like it was usually more worth it to build both until you get access to buildings that are actually worth building. I absolutely hate the parts of Stellaris where I'm sitting on my hands waiting for things to tick over, and the part where I'm waiting for a colony to reach 5 pop is one of those. I understand that it's good to have newly-established colonies not produce much for a while to balance expansion and I agree with that, but it's just so boring in its current execution (in particular how the "basic" buildings interact with the first-tier).

Ah, yeah that could be annoying. With my playstyle, that's never a problem since I mostly concentrate on exploring and building up my space infrastructure. Around the point I bother with what my planets are doing, there are already tons of things to build. (Also, I always use robots as soon as possible, so if there is nothing to build on a planet, I just start growing a robot or two instead.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MadJackal posted:

Ah, that's where they went. I was wondering why I never saw them.

They actually didn't appear on stations either in 1.5 for some reason, and the 1.6 patch notes say they're straight-up getting removed from the game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's no mention in those patch notes of making governing ethics attraction actually do something. That's a little worrisome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turning all the happiness buildings into unity buildings is weird, it's not like unity has long term utility, and if you just hand it out to everyone what's the point in it being a separate resource?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

Turning all the happiness buildings into unity buildings is weird, it's not like unity has long term utility, and if you just hand it out to everyone what's the point in it being a separate resource?

Yeah a few of those I'd only build for the happiness, the unity was just a bonus.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Migration's bugged, right? I've got a few migration treaties now but no one's immigrated yet, just emigrated out.

Also I remember thinking the nomad trait was pretty eh except now my people keep moving off of buildings I need without telling me. Just built a bunch of armies on a world with a military academy only to learn all the instructors had up and moved to space-elf land days before the training had begun.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

OwlFancier posted:

They are adding in more mechanics that increase unity requirements, but I think the real reason was right now getting to 100% happiness for every pop was stupid easy. In most of my 1.5 games, I can get even suppressed faction members to be near 100%.

There's not much else those buildings can do besides increase unity, since poo poo like migration attraction or ethics attraction is garbage 90% of the time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Happiness should increase official ethic drift or something too. It's just so slow and painful and often totally unfruitful trying to shift the ethos balance of your empire. It reminds me of the worst aspects of Victoria 2 where you're totally hands off and just waiting for the generational churn to maybe eventually shift things in the direction you've been desperately pushing but are unsure if it's actually doing anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will Fanatic Xenophobe plus Materialist be a valid option for Fanatical Purifiers? I wanna get my Necron on and cover the galaxy with killbots.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

quote:

* Hive Minds can now choose to eat titanic life

Shocked no one mentioned this.

C'mere Godzilla! :chef:

quote:

* Spiritualist Fallen Empires are no longer upset by colonizing tomb worlds, as this caused issues with various event chains and was inconsistent when they would not be upset over terraforming them

Also, I guess Spirtualist FEs learned to not hate the worm.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 4, 2017

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010
Another update pushed for my ground combat replacement mod.

I fixed a couple of bugs with the useless planetary defense modifier on a spaceport module and one that stopped primitives from being invaded.

I've added a few new manpower events too. Your manpower can now rise up to +3 on its own (or +4 for Militarists, +5 for Fanatic Militarists.) Each positive level of manpower gives -10 unrest, so this will help with the unrest issues someone mentioned earlier with large slave planets. If your manpower is negative, then in addition to the recovery over time event I've also added new events that instantly add 3 manpower in exchange for something else (like lowered energy production for hiring mercs or reduced happiness for implementing drafts). Pacifists, Egalitarians, and Hive Minds can also get good events by staying at peace and maintaining positive manpower.

I've also added in more Siegebreak events - ones for Militarists and Pacifists. Among them, Militarists can blow up an uninhabited moon orbiting the planet as a show of strength. Situational, but has a very high chance of success. The Pacifists, if they have level 4 shield tech and a large sum of energy and minerals, can erect a shield around a planet to remove it from the war entirely. A few years later, whoever controls the system the shielded planet is in gets a special project to open it up with a number of different outcomes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mazz posted:

They are adding in more mechanics that increase unity requirements, but I think the real reason was right now getting to 100% happiness for every pop was stupid easy. In most of my 1.5 games, I can get even suppressed faction members to be near 100%.

There's not much else those buildings can do besides increase unity, since poo poo like migration attraction or ethics attraction is garbage 90% of the time.

You can primarily do that with traditions and policies though, not with unique buildings. Of all the things to make into useless unity buildings it should not be the unique buildings.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, aside from the outright bug fixes, a lot of the changes made sound pretty questionable.

If they really wanted to make unity a tall thing, they'd make the colony penalty multiplicative rather than additive.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like the Hive Mind buffs in the patch notes. For those who've played around with Hive Minds, how exactly do techs that buff Faction influence gain work for them? Like Living State for example. Do they just not do anything, or do they convert into flat Influence boosts for Hive Minds?

Lacking means to obtain Influence seems like a potential problem for Hive Minds if not.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
They don't, and it is.

Not that influence makes much sense for a hive mind to begin with. Maybe you can abstract it as mental focus or something...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Hive Mind might be an entire species lashed to a single will, but it turns out that will is actually kinda indecisive and noncommittal. Needs to keep writing up to-do lists and rewarding itself for achieving grown-up civilization goals like annexing a neighbouring world or doing laundry. When you're tapped out on influence it just means the Hive Mind is busy emailing "me_irl" memes back and forth to itself that are just portraits of every individual drone.

There needs to be a Rick & Morty inspired event chain where your entire civilization gets into an unhealthy relationship with a neighbouring Empire's science vessel captain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, aside from the outright bug fixes, a lot of the changes made sound pretty questionable.

If they really wanted to make unity a tall thing, they'd make the colony penalty multiplicative rather than additive.
I did some math and graphs after my kneejerk reaction and it looks like unity -> tall may work a bit better now, but at a terrible* price. Will do a proper write up later once I'm back at my pc and have double checked my work.

*probably an exaggeration

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

If years of stacking modifiers in paradox games for crazy outcomes have taught me anything, it's that Paradox have a deep-seated aversion to multiplicative percentages.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think I've hosed the Worm-in-waiting chain which is really annoying if I have, since it's the first time it's come up for me in an ironman game.

When I found the Messenger and researched it, they told me that it might be someone who has been changed from my species. I had three options but they were all to just kill my scientist and since that happened I've had nothing. I have built both of the shiny buildings you get given. Am I buggered or do I just wait? It's been quite a while.

A bit frustrating if it is broken because this game has seen no precursor artifacts whatsoever and also my Cult chain got suddenly broken half way through too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Taear posted:

I think I've hosed the Worm-in-waiting chain which is really annoying if I have, since it's the first time it's come up for me in an ironman game.

When I found the Messenger and researched it, they told me that it might be someone who has been changed from my species. I had three options but they were all to just kill my scientist and since that happened I've had nothing. I have built both of the shiny buildings you get given. Am I buggered or do I just wait? It's been quite a while.

A bit frustrating if it is broken because this game has seen no precursor artifacts whatsoever and also my Cult chain got suddenly broken half way through too!

I don't know what the full chain is but there is a piece of it missing at some point which will prevent you from completing the quest anyway. In one game I got far enough in to turn my race of gorilla scientists in to a race of murder horses and then spent decades fixing their ethics since I couldn't finish the chain and 'fix' them properly. This should be fixed for 1.6 apparently.

• Locked thread