Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I appreciate this reply. RIP Brian Glover, you were a wonderful bastard.

Alien 3 has the dopest slate of fugly British character actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
One of the UK's leading agencies for casting extras is called "Ugly Models."

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that appearing in the background of police stations or soap opera pubs was the best meal ticket for London's overly-ravaged thesps.

Getting eviscerated by a toothy monster whilst trapped within a lovely factory full of scumbags? Pfff, tha's just anovva day on estate, innit bruv?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I saw Varys from Game of Thrones in it too. He's one of the last to die actually.

Honestly re-watching, I do like the cast of characters. All awful people, but kind of endearing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I saw Varys from Game of Thrones in it too. He's one of the last to die actually.

I don't think he's in it, unless you can point out someone I'm missing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, it really irks me when some write off the supporting cast as 'nameless' casualties, because all of them are really compelling, and Fincher's direction is remarkably accomplished for a freshman effort. The fact that I literally don't know who half of them are most of the time is a feature, not a bug.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

I don't think he's in it, unless you can point out someone I'm missing.

A guy looks just like him. He gets yelled at by Ripley not to close the piston.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ynohtna posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that appearing in the background of police stations or soap opera pubs was the best meal ticket for London's overly-ravaged thesps.

Getting eviscerated by a toothy monster whilst trapped within a lovely factory full of scumbags? Pfff, tha's just anovva day on estate, innit bruv?

I will say that 1992 Charles Dance could get it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Newww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJQSUwcHEs

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will say that 1992 Charles Dance could get it.

Oh yeah.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

A guy looks just like him. He gets yelled at by Ripley not to close the piston.
You're thinking of Niall Buggy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ynohtna posted:

This is like how 95% of non-famous broadway actors living in NYC from 1990-2010 appear in at least one episode of some permutation of Law and Order.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Is there even an alien covenant movie? Or just a series of commercials and features?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Alien: Covenant is less an Alien prequel and more an Alien concept.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zeris posted:

Is there even an alien covenant movie? Or just a series of commercials and features?
It will be a series of clips recanted from a drooling baseman dweller.

I do live in a basement if you're asking. But not my parents'.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Movies 123 minutes long so probably seen 1/5 already. Assuming "the last supper" and "the crossing" are in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They aren't.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CDHiggs posted:

"No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me."

--David Fincher on Alien 3

This quote from Fincher is even better:

“My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie. I told her never to talk to Max again.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SUNKOS posted:

“My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie. I told her never to talk to Max again.”

That quote is so great. Fincher is definitely aware of the typical kind of person who claims Fight Club as their favorite movie. Just another movie in a long line of them that have become very popular as a result of so many people missing the point.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Basebf555 posted:

That quote is so great. Fincher is definitely aware of the typical kind of person who claims Fight Club as their favorite movie. Just another movie in a long line of them that have become very popular as a result of so many people missing the point.

Whether or not the novel is read as romanticizing or criticizing fascism, patriarchy, feminism, terrorism, existentialism and/or violence seems to depend entirely upon the reader. Its real claim to notability is that it captured the zeitgeist of the time, at least for men, and this has stuck with a whole bunch of them regardless of how much thought they have given to what the book or movie is trying to say.

I do happen to enjoy the subtext of "if you would just speak to the woman like a normal person none of this poo poo would have happened", but if you are implying that everyone is wrong to like the movie for its dark and shocking visuals you need to get over yourself. We're here enjoying the Alien franchise after all.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 4, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

What if Max loved Fight Club because of what the film had to say? I don't love Fight Club that much. it's alright.

But Alien 3 is better.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Has new fangled 3D printing/prototyping technology. Makes small parts for already dated guns that are in the armory of WY 'most expnesive' ship :psyduck:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 is better [than Fight Club]

I wouldn't go that far, but it's about as good as The Game and better than Gone Girl or Panic Room (Dragon Tattoo too, obviously, but that one doesn't even really rate).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

I do happen to enjoy the subtext of "if you would just speak to the woman like a normal person none of this poo poo would have happened", but if you are implying that everyone is wrong to like the movie for its dark and shocking visuals you need to get over yourself. We're here enjoying the Alien franchise after all.

Its a good movie, maybe even a very good movie. But favorite movie? Seems like a red flag to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's about as good as The Game and better than Gone Girl or Panic Room (Dragon Tattoo too, obviously, but that one doesn't even really rate).

Gone Girl is so very good. I do like Dragon Tattoo a lot, but it's honestly purely for the aesthetic and the characters. Roony Mara was pretty great I thought. But the story was completely boring. However, I could watch unboxing videos by David Fincher and be completely engrossed in them so, hey.

Also, my goddness I forgot how insane that one death scene is in Gone Girl.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Zodiac is by far his best film, I don't think its even close.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

For sure.

CelticPredator posted:

Gone Girl is so very good.

Oh yeah I'm not shittalking Gone Girl, apart from Dragon Tattoo I love pretty much everything by Fincher (never saw Ben Button).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

for me its a toss-up between this and the social network, which i was thoroughly surprised by

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no, sorry. I was just talking about how good Gone Girl was.

Benjamin Button is very not good. It's sappy in a way that doesn't work at all with Fincher's aesthetic. It's cold as poo poo, but tries to have a ton of heart and in the end it's like...uh, alright.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My favorite Fincher joint is still Panic Room.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe this matters to you guys, maybe it doesn't, but according to someone going to the Alien Day thing in London, they confirmed that the Alien is 100% CGI and the only practical elements were used to get a gage on how it looks and not much else.

I'm neutral about it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe this matters to you guys, maybe it doesn't, but according to someone going to the Alien Day thing in London, they confirmed that the Alien is 100% CGI and the only practical elements were used to get a gage on how it looks and not much else.

I'm neutral about it.

Wasn't that the case with the Deacon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The decon was a rod puppet, but it might have been painted over(I know the last shot is CGI). I don't remember the making of too well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just care how it looks, the result, not the method. The problem is pure CG usually looks worse than good practical effects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I just care how it looks, the result, not the method. The problem is pure CG usually looks worse than good practical effects.

If its on the same level as the Planet of the Apes films, it could be great though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

My favorite Fincher joint is still Panic Room.

That's my least favorite of the good ones but it's still very good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The decon was a rod puppet, but it might have been painted over(I know the last shot is CGI). I don't remember the making of too well.

It was a rod puppet for reference only. The final creature was also CG. That's the process for most good creature effects these days.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baronjutter posted:

I'm taking a minute to appreciate that this is being posted in the Alien 3 thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Computahs are very good for helping compositing practical effects in a way that doesn't look terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

yeah but he just made the drat thing, he can't be trusted to have a solid opinion on it

I've been reading cined so long on honestly can't react to this.

Out of confusion