Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glazier posted:

I almost never see Rosie, do you mean that old factory poster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NCElsbjeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Posting video rather than pics, sure, but I always appreciate a badass gramma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dANsqfqwRXQ

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Let's get this thread back on track.

Audie Murphy

I only know this guy because they used his name as a cheat code in Medal of Honor games.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Jeremy_X posted:

Nothing like reading the MSHA fatalgrams looking for the first haul truck crushing another vehicle parked in one of the huge blind spots those things have of the year. Almost always a supervisor of some sort doing the parking.

If you are able to park near one in such a way that that's possible it's a failure of the site safety system... but also a victory for Darwin

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqj6F00NJk8
Japanese students successfully gestate a chicken egg without the shell.

Now, you may think this isn't badass, to which I say "go gently caress yourself that's awesome".

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
No need to be predefensive imo. That's badass as heck

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Learning is def badass.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Google maps just got it's first photosphere from the summit of Mt. Everest.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@27....00!8i3500?hl=en

Here's the one from K2

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...6.5151001?hl=en

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Slugnoid posted:

Send it to Ja Rule as an idea for next year.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

No need to be predefensive imo. That's badass as heck

Fair point. The first response from my friends/family was "that's so cruel and gross! Why would they do that?" which set my hackles up for posting it here I guess.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Roro posted:

Fair point. The first response from my friends/family was "that's so cruel and gross! Why would they do that?" which set my hackles up for posting it here I guess.

nah friend :byoscience: is cool as gently caress

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Roro posted:

Tell them that hundreds of thousands of chickens die every day to become meat, but not this chicken. This chicken was born and became a science chicken.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cnut
May 3, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Roro posted:

Now, you may think this isn't badass, to which I say "go gently caress yourself that's awesome".

If anyone is in San Francisco, they should go to the Exploratorium. They have replicated this with 4 embryos you can see in a case. They're all in various stages of development (rotating cast) and there's a magnifying glass.

You can see the beating hearts :black101:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Roro posted:

Does it effect the development of the chicken? I mean are there any physical abnormalities from this type of gestation?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Does it effect the development of the chicken? I mean are there any physical abnormalities from this type of gestation?

The chick at the end seemed to be perfectly healthy, but my uni subscription has passed so I wouldn't be able to access any articles to see what kinds of side effects would be possible/likely with this method of gestation.

cnut
May 3, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Samovar posted:

No. (I think that's part of what the stretching of the plastic helps to prevent)
(But it's a little more involved than the schoolkid video makes it look)

Here's the study.

Still cool.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Slugnoid posted:

Here's the one from K2

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...6.5151001?hl=en

Strangely, doesn't feel very high when presented like this. Get the (totally wrong) impression I could stroll down to that glacier valley in like two hours or so.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Reposted from the OSHA thread

cnut
May 3, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Parkingtigers posted:

Strangely, doesn't feel very high when presented like this. Get the (totally wrong) impression I could stroll down to that glacier valley in like two hours or so.

This false sense of scale is what leads to many people needing to be rescued when they visit mountainous areas. They think they will just take a nice stroll over to that mountain and end up running out of water and lost because it was way farther than they thought it was.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Madkal posted:

I remember hearing ages ago that if you are in the ocean and a lightening storm happens go deep until you get to shore. Something to do with the lightening only hitting the top of the water and not really going deep. Of course you can also drown yourself to make sure you don't get hit.

ya it spreads across the top because lightning takes the path of least resistance

its why you're better off being struck by lightning when you're soaking wet, too. (theoretically, don't bet on lightning it is its own beast) lightning will sort of encase your skin if you're wet, so all the water on you will be vaporized and leave you relatively unscathed. it will explode your clothes off though because the steam expands so violently but you will be alright apart from some burns here and there

even if its a superbolt!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Holy poo poo !

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TRIPLE KILL :black101:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
There's a reason they're called Kingfishers.

Probably been pissing off amateur fly fishermen for decades.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

If you are able to park near one in such a way that that's possible it's a failure of the site safety system... but also a victory for Darwin

Agreed but it happens way more than it should. Getting trained by an ex-MSHA inspector was interesting and frightening.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's about time the organized protests against Greenpeace started

#RESIST

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Azhais posted:

It's about time the organized protests against Greenpeace started

#RESIST

Looks like France has an excuse to sink the rest of their ships now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nazi bad asses have historically not been the kindest to France so I can understand the protest but I'm pretty sure they're all dead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So why is that person actually a Nazi. Like, I see a ton of crap about how terrible they are, but very little explaining it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

poptart_fairy posted:

So why is that person actually a Nazi. Like, I see a ton of crap about how terrible they are, but very little explaining it.

Marine Le Pen

quote:

Le Pen’s message is in many ways reminiscent of that of other far-right populists in Europe: She wants to pull France out of the European Union, NATO, and the euro common currency market. She wants to close the French borders to immigration — legal as well as undocumented — and direct the bulk of government-funded welfare programs (including schools and medical treatment) toward French citizens. She speaks of the threat of “Islamic fundamentalism” and calls the election a “choice of civilization.” France, for Le Pen, is for the French.

To that end she is also, distinctly, French: She extols the virtues of militant secularism that has defined the French state since the early 20th century, and has proposed banning all religious headwear — including the Muslim hijab, the Jewish kippah, and the Sikh turban — in public spaces.

"What is at stake in this election,” she announced at her opening campaign event in Lyon back in February, “is whether France can still be a free nation. The divide is no longer between the left and right, but between patriots and globalists!"

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/4/21/15358708/marine-le-pen-french-elections-far-right-front-national

not full hitler no, but very nationalist with some serious xenophobic under and overtones

(not the best source i'll admit, but :effort: and its reasonably accurate)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, that clarifies it a little bit then. Seeing Nazi thrown around so commonly has made it seem pretty limp now, so :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah, that clarifies it a little bit then. Seeing Nazi thrown around so commonly has made it seem pretty limp now, so :v:

people use nazi a bit too readily these days, however borderline extreme nationalism really is not a good sign for anywhere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure sure, no disagreement there, just wasn't sure if this specific example was someone who is genuinely reprehensible, or had "just" said something racist and been blown up to full Hitler.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Putting it in simpler terms: Marine le Pen occupies the same position on the political compass as Hitler, said she wanted to strip citizenship from French Jews, and has denied French involvement in the Holocaust. And that's before you get into the membership of Front Nationale, where you can't throw a rock in a meeting of the inner circle without hitting someone who has expressed admiration for Hitler and it bouncing off to hit another one. It's absolutely not hyperbolic to describe her as a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jedit posted:

Putting it in simpler terms: Marine le Pen occupies the same position on the political compass as Hitler, said she wanted to strip citizenship from French Jews, and has denied French involvement in the Holocaust. And that's before you get into the membership of Front Nationale, where you can't throw a rock in a meeting of the inner circle without hitting someone who has expressed admiration for Hitler and it bouncing off to hit another one. It's absolutely not hyperbolic to describe her as a Nazi.

well put.