Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

I have short legs as a guy and I have to mentally tack on $10 or so to every pair of pants I buy because I have to get them hemmed up at those Dry-cleaners that do some simple alterations an inch and a half because pretty much nowhere carries stuff under 30 in length which is a bit annoying.

Learn to do it yourself. Get a decent sewing machine, a thread kit, and Tailor's chalk.

Assuming you already have an iron with a steam function and an ironing board, that's everything you need.

It will take a little time to get it good enough but once you do: you can alter 4 or 5 pairs in a couple of hours.

It also helps if you buy the shortest inseam you can find and a tapered leg so you don't have floods. Though, you get good enough you can take in the legs, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Another customer segment that B&M stores have traditionally ignored and online retailers are gradually going "oh wait, there's money on the table here."

A little on the pricey side but this brand is specifically for 26-30" inseams Peter Manning NYC

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm interested... can you put your pitch in the form of a children's book?

you...you can't just reference it without posting that BWM gold.

I only have the wait till we're tenure version of the picture :(

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

incoherent posted:

you...you can't just reference it without posting that BWM gold.

I only have the wait till we're tenure version of the picture :(
Just Wait 'Til We're Diamond: An MLM Picture Book

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 5, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah my bad I was going to swing at that setup but I got distracted by roommate stuff.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

paragon1 posted:

Can I interest you in becoming a sales rep for some great health and diet products? We'll show you how to build your own team, and you'll have your own business before you know it. I hope you'll consider this as you really seem like a Diamond tier entrepreneur.

The big one right now (mlm scam wise) is essential oils. These guys:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiP7NX50NfTAhUPg34KHVZkDVoYABAAGgJwYw&sig=AOD64_1Qb2f-HZ4Dnvcm2KRlS4bXSsvswA&adurl=&q=
They're dug in like a tick into the stay at home tech wives and Mormons up here around Seattle east side suburbs.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, I didn't mean "nostalgia" exactly, I just thought it was interesting that the women spoke about how when they were looking for patterns of Disney stuff, they felt connected to other women who were looking for the Disney tights, because they had shared the same memories.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
Leggings are the worst clothing trend in ever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

paragon1 posted:

Lularoe advertises their pyramid scheme on the radio now, they've really hit the big time.

Can anyone go further into why big box retail has just been so completely annihilated on the electronics front?

The combination of the horribly quick development pace of technology often out-moding several hundred dollar pieces of tech within months, the over-saturation of large stores trying to sell everything - and thus always being too ineffective to compete with specialty stores or the internet and thus shrinkage of their game or electronic booths if not outright disappearance from the likes of Sams Club; and the weird shelf life of video game and their prices depending on what you mean by electronics. If you also meant appliances, replace Best Buy/Amazon with Home Depot/Lowe's. Over the course of the 90s -00s and the death of Circuit City, electronics have proved themselves to be a front that you either have to dedicate yourself to or you're going to get hosed by it when a newer, flashier store sells them better than you.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Crabtree posted:

The combination of the horribly quick development pace of technology often out-moding several hundred dollar pieces of tech within months,

Price deflation https://imgur.com/a/mW9VW

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

They're fine for the people who realize they're not pants, they're a base layer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Do you have any charts for the prices of phones throughout the years and more "hip" electronics along with prices for computer components? Because DVDs and Blu-rays have become redundant or antiquated to personal streaming devices or huge flat screen TV sets/consoles with them built in like how they made VHS.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Crabtree posted:

Do you have any charts for the prices of phones throughout the years and more "hip" electronics along with prices for computer components? Because DVDs and Blu-rays have become redundant or antiquated to personal streaming devices or huge flat screen TV sets/consoles with them built in like how they made VHS.

I don't but the general tend is towards ever steeper curves most especially in electronics. That was the textbook example illustrating the trend. I may have some aggregate graphs showing the compression in product life cycles. Could take a bit to find them.

Basically product life cycles are shorter across the board in nearly all categories. The things firms sell, they make less money on more quickly than in the past.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Leggings are great under a dress, esp if they're workout leggings with pockets. Dress + pockets? Hell yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think of myself as a prude, but I am a little weirded out by the trend in yoga pants so tight that they're technically vaginal suppositories as well as articles of clothing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Leggings are great under a dress, esp if they're workout leggings with pockets. Dress + pockets? Hell yes.

Leggings with pockets?! Dogs and cats living together as friends?!

I wear a lot of black dresses with leggings/tights; it's convenient as heck.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Xibanya posted:

But then I don't get to see your legs...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

WrenP-Complete posted:

Leggings with pockets?! Dogs and cats living together as friends?!

I wear a lot of black dresses with leggings/tights; it's convenient as heck.

esp because leggings are much more durable than tights so it makes a dress even more cozy for something like a music festival. I like wearing dresses all the time and I fuckin' love the legging craze for this reason.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Wow, how incredible that you feel safe enough to express such a sexist opinion.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The greatest thing ever posted in the BWM thread :allears:

MLMs should be banned.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

and that's why they're in fact the best trend :quagmire:

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wow, how incredible that you feel safe enough to express such a sexist opinion.

How dare people enjoy looking at legs!!!! For shameeeee. Be a good Christian and hide your lust by loving underage rentboys at the local motel 8!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

How dare people enjoy looking at legs!!!! For shameeeee. Be a good Christian and hide your lust by loving underage rentboys at the local motel 8!!!

Women are people.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Dude gently caress off you are skeeving the gently caress out of this thread.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

It's not about looking at legs or enjoyment of them. It's about your sense of entitlement to women's bodies, such that you complain about women wearing tights affecting your view.

I'm not a Christian. Nor do I have sex with underage people. I have stayed at motels in the past. :shrug:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's not about looking at legs or enjoyment of them. It's about your sense of entitlement to women's bodies, such that you complain about women wearing tights affecting your view.

I'm not a Christian. Nor do I have sex with underage people. I have stayed at motels in the past. :shrug:

No you see, only men exist because only men are people. Anyone talking about women's legs is doing so solely from the perspective of consumption. Women are things men use.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

No you see, only men exist because only men are people. Anyone talking about women's legs is doing so solely from the perspective of consumption. Women are things men use.

Oh drat, I forgot! Thanks for the reminder! <3

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Women are people.

No they are objects created by the Lord for our enjoyment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Whatever happened to putting effort into trolling?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Love it when someone tries to backpedal a sincerely held belief into sarcasm. It's like trying to own yourself via Poe's law.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Maybe God is bisexual.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mozi posted:

Maybe God is bisexual.

Well, Zeus was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_(mythology)

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Love it when someone tries to backpedal a sincerely held belief into sarcasm. It's like trying to own yourself via Poe's law.

I assume you've never been to a night club.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

I assume you've never been to a night club.

Lotta The_Donald meetups at 1OAK, are there

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So BiLo holdings rejiggered it's organization and renamed to Southeastern Grocery about two years ago. I'm being told that now all employees lower than department head are now being made part time. Sounds like they are pushing as many employees off health insurance as they can.

Edit: still haven't found that graph.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 6, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is way off the topic of the thread but how would you actually ban MLMs in the USA? What laws at the federal or state level would make a difference?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

So BiLo holdings rejiggered it's organization and renamed to Southeastern Grocery about two years ago. I'm being told that now all employees lower than department head are now being made part time. Sounds like they are pushing as many employees off health insurance as they can.

Edit: still haven't found that graph.

Seems to be happening a lot lately: https://arstechnica.com/features/2017/04/the-secret-lives-of-google-raters/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is way off the topic of the thread but how would you actually ban MLMs in the USA? What laws at the federal or state level would make a difference?
Require any business that uses the 'downline'/'upline' pattern to report how much money it takes in from "independent distributors" vs actual customers, and ban those whose percentage of the former is too high.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Crabtree posted:

The combination of the horribly quick development pace of technology often out-moding several hundred dollar pieces of tech within months, the over-saturation of large stores trying to sell everything - and thus always being too ineffective to compete with specialty stores or the internet and thus shrinkage of their game or electronic booths if not outright disappearance from the likes of Sams Club; and the weird shelf life of video game and their prices depending on what you mean by electronics. If you also meant appliances, replace Best Buy/Amazon with Home Depot/Lowe's. Over the course of the 90s -00s and the death of Circuit City, electronics have proved themselves to be a front that you either have to dedicate yourself to or you're going to get hosed by it when a newer, flashier store sells them better than you.

I'd also add that electronics are ideal for shipping because they're usually compact but high cost making online competition particularly effective (and this was true before Amazon went crazy building logistics/shipping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't consider it off-topic, since this thread has just mutated to cover all sorts of retail practices.

My own answer is that probably the best way, rather than passing new laws, is that most MLMs have enough shady stuff going on at the margins that if the government wanted to prosecute, they could. And it would only take one or two cases, even ones that are settled out of court, to discourage MLMs.