Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So really it's the culmination of western technological advancement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The hard part is cocking the PIAT initially. Reloading it isn't too hard assuming it doesn't malfunction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The really hard part with any complicated equipment in field conditions is making it not malfunction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno if the piat counts as complicated given that it's a mortar where the firing pin is spring loaded.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gnoman posted:

particularly late war, once use of the VT radar fuse was authorized against infantry

:stare: Wait, what?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Makes for really convenient airburst barrages.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

When an HE shell hits the ground and explodes, most of the destructive force is wasted, as the fragments go uselessly into the ground. The first method of solving this was a time fuse, but small differences in the flight time of each given shell meant that this was still suboptimal even with very precise fuses, as the shell would still burst too low (spreading all the fragments in a fairly small area, minimizing how widely they can do damage) or too high (spreading the fragments so widely that they do little damage). Using a radar proximity fuse (which was named Variable Time or VT during the war as a disinformation measure), you can set your shells to explode at exactly the right distance from the ground. By doing so, your shells do the maximum possible amount of damage to infantry - massively higher than was done before. Anglo-American research projects perfected the shell fairly early in the war, but it was immediately highly classified and restricted to naval and Home Island air defense use for most of the war out of fear that the Germans would capture a dud and copy it. When this prohibition was lifted, and it was used against infantry, even hardened German troops found the result to be particularly horrific.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I couldn't picture wtf a 1940s era radar proximity fuse would look like so here's a manual

https://maritime.org/doc/vtfuze/index.htm

Apparently the thing is mostly washers:

Digging the washer that is followed by a supporting washer

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
To be real, the efficacy of American artillery goes well beyond their technological advancements. American fire control was absolutely top-notch throughout the war, and it enabled poo poo like Mortain i.e., single US battalions holding off entire Panzer divisions through liberal usage of divisional and corps level artillery assets.

Even in the early war, American artillery was the standout arm in a pretty green-rear end army. Kasserine Pass was the direct consequence of fumbled armour and infantry operations, but the Axis counterattack was severely limited by dug-in artillery crews.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The main problem the Germans had wasn't lack of knowledge, it was lack of raw materials, lack of industry, and lack of time.

Lack of raw materials limits your options for designs. It might mean you are stuck unable to build enough radios. Or it might mean that you don't have enough Tungsten to produce special AP rounds, which means you need to jam larger guns into your next generation of tanks to get the same penetrating effect, which means the turret ring has to be bigger, which means your tank has to be bigger, hey presto your Panther is now 50 tons hope you didn't want manoeuvrability.

Insufficient industry is obvious - you have to pick and choose what you are going to build.

Insufficient time is probably the biggest one - the Western Allies effectively get to spend 3 years picking and choosing where they fight while putting together the tools they want to liberate Europe at their own pace. The Germans on the other hand find themselves in a race from the start of Barbarossa to bring the war to a conclusion, and every tank, plane, and weapon system they have in development from then on is compromised in some way or another by the desperate need to get something to the front line that will provide a qualitative advantage.

Pile Nazi incompetence and corruption on top of all that and it isn't surprising the Germans struggled to leverage their scientific knowledge into wartime technology.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

To be real, the efficacy of American artillery goes well beyond their technological advancements. American fire control was absolutely top-notch throughout the war, and it enabled poo poo like Mortain i.e., single US battalions holding off entire Panzer divisions through liberal usage of divisional and corps level artillery assets.

Even in the early war, American artillery was the standout arm in a pretty green-rear end army. Kasserine Pass was the direct consequence of fumbled armour and infantry operations, but the Axis counterattack was severely limited by dug-in artillery crews.

Was that down to training, equipment or doctrine?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Posted today from the Swedish museum Livrustkammaren in Stockholm. Which you should go visit if you're around.

Dunno if Hey Gal is still around but Gars is best 30YW dude.

:sweden:

(still catching up on the old thread)
oh FOR gently caress'S SAKE

edit: did you ever hear the Tragedy of Wallenstein? I thought not. It's not a story the anti-Imperialists would tell you...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 5, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fangz posted:

Makes for really convenient airburst barrages.

Ah, indeed airbursting is pretty sensible, for whatever reason I was imagining guns direct firing at individual people for some reason, which seemed like just an absurd level of overkill.

A random factoid from wikipedia I encountered while trying to see how small a calibre munition proximity fuzes were actually used on:

quote:

A minor problem encountered by the British was that the fuses were sensitive enough to detonate the shell if it passed too close to a seagull and a number of seagull "kills" were recorded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine if Nelson was alive today he'd sit in Trafalgar with a Bofors gun shooting at pigeons all day.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OwlFancier posted:

I imagine if Nelson was alive today he'd sit in Trafalgar with a Bofors gun shooting at pigeons all day.

In between bouts of discovering the world of tinder and casual sex.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm down with Big Gay Nelson and his antiaircraft love gun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He'd really be one of those guys who identifies themselves as pansexual but lets be honest, Horatio Nelson will bugger almost anything but a Hedgehog.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

oh FOR gently caress'S SAKE

edit: did you ever hear the Tragedy of Wallenstein? I thought not. It's not a story the anti-Imperialists would tell you...

I should probably read up some more from the other side but OTOH i can recommend everything period centric from Peter Englund (and also everything else he's written).

He's good at bringing up the small stories in all the craziness.

Karl X, then a duke, hooked up with the rest of the guys at the siege of Prague and apparently got a personal letter telling him that the treaty had been signed in Osnabruck and Munster. So what do you do? You go out and tell your guys to push harder because you know that soon enough the official mail will come through and you have a day or two to actually take the city. Never got over the river but he did try.

Also everything Lennart Torstenson.

Fun times.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i say this as someone who prefers imperialists, but torstensson owned

ed: torstenssowns

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Today I was reading a book about the operations leading up to and including the attack on Berlin, and I was surprised to learn that White Russians were apparently involved in defending the city. Sure, it was in all likelihood a tiny contingent, but I'd thought that by that point any White Russian units were long gone. And I also found it interesting that the Red Army replenished their units with Soviet POWs freed from prisons. It's also grimly amusing that even at that late stage you still have a fair bit of backbiting and power plays going on among the German higher ups.

Of course this book was written in 2005 so perhaps there's more to it than we knew at the time.

Tangentially, can anyone tell me what the difference was between "shock" and regular Soviet formations and their role? It seems like it boils down to "higher allocation of artillery" (and later became an honourary title with no special significance) but I've got a feeling that there's more to it than that.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 5, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Was that down to training, equipment or doctrine?

All three were in play. I don't know anything about training for artillery grunts, but the guys involved in fire control are all officers anyways, the gunners just moved shells and adjusted dials. Fire requests were at first limited to Field Observer officers, but during the war the army started to train all infantry officers and all members of Field Observer teams to make proper fire requests.

The US was helped moreso by how much equipment they had than the specs of their guns/radios/shells. They were the only military that could afford to have radios all the way down to the platoon level, though I don't really know about the British. They were also producing/shipping enough shells that even platoon-level fire missions were permissable. For contrast, look to the Soviets, who organized artillery as army-level assets, and hoarded up ammunition primarily for massive preparatory barrages.

In most WWII militaries, artillery fire was left up to the FO, and nobody else. An FO on the scene would look over their target, make some calculations, then call in the fire order and wait for the shells. Missions were left up to their discretion, meaning that anything outside of their view was going to be neglected. If the FO was knocked out, artillery wasn't available. These were well trained people, but the calculations were complicated and they took time. Time delay of artillery fire was variable, but usually on the order of 10 minutes. This wasn't a problem while defending, because you can pre-sight target areas and table the fire orders somewhere, but it made offensive artillery support awkward.

Nazi Germany was actually one of these countries, as their artillery arm had been neglected during their '30s buildup. This is basically how WWI artillery operated.

US fire control was centralized in the artillery battalion. Fire requests could be made by anybody, but the battalion had the final control over gun direction. At the battalion, the Fire Control Center would look over ordnance survey maps, and using preconfigured instruments and tables, quickly work out within 3 minutes how to direct their batteries. The FCC was linked up to divisional and corps level artillery assets as well, and could call guns from miles away on single targets, throughout the entire day. A favoured practice was "Time-on-target" missions, which called for all guns in a mission to fire at specific times to account for shell travel time. The effect was a devastating synchronized barrage, which the Germans learned to despise.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
^Fire Direction Center*

During WW1, the Battery Commander was expected to direct the fire of his battery; he even had the "Battery Commander Scope" to help him observe and adjust rounds. For large-scale plans, preplanned and unobserved fires were possible thanks to advancements in gunnery to enable registration and the use of maps and photos. Counterbattery was possible utilizing sound ranging equipment and techniques. By WW2, the battery commander was expected to stay with the battery and the FO concept came about for observing fires. The FDC concept enabled the gunnery to be conducted in relative safety behind the lines, allowing the FO to stay mobile and respond rapidly up front with the infantry.

Big issues for German artillery in WW2 included heavier pieces with limited prime movers (heavily reliance on horses throughout the war), neglect of artillery doctrine because it was believed that speed and mobility would make up for the loss of firepower, and low industrial prioritization (tanks and wonder weapons are much flashier), and the very way they organized their forces and conducted C2 of those forces.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

This isn't to say that the Garand is perfect. It's got a kind of retarded system for bedding it into the stock which, combined with the big, open, rotating bolt that ejects brass straight up, makes it a real bastard to either accurize or mount a scope on. All of the attempts to make a Garand sniper rifle were really unsatisfactory. Hell, the drawbacks that the Garand had are all part of the reason why the M14 was in turn such a lackluster rifle when it comes to making a target gun. Both the Garand and M14 are also a lot more susceptible to getting jammed up by mud and other poo poo getting into the receiver via the cutout behind the bolt than either the German or Soviet guns.

You've probably seen this so it's more for the people who don't watch this channel, but one of the guns InRangeTV mud tested was the Garand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6J5m4_Is_s

It doesn't even fire the chambered round because mud goes straight into the cutout at the rear of the receiver and blocks the firing pin from being struck, and they need to thoroughly clean the gun to even eject the clip. Even when they're careful not to get mud in there, the operating rod having an open track on the side of the rifle makes it ridiculously easy to prevent the gun from firing as soon as it gets gunked up.

They mud and sand tested the M14 as well (specifically an M1A in a Troy stock) and it had the same issues. Every single time they did the sand test, where they just blew sand from a mound next to the gun into the receiver as the shooter fired, the M14 jammed immediately and needed cleaning.

Ironically, the only guns with a 100% reliability rate (firing every single round flawlessly) in the mud test were the AR-15, Luger, and CETME-L. The tight tolerances that are claimed to result in the AR-15 being easy to jam actually seal the gun from the elements and prevent mud and gunk from getting inside even if you smear it all over the bolt with the dust cover open.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Okay, so, I've had it claimed that heavy tanks in close-quarters with infantry, before the bazooka, didn't care and would be able to drive off without incident. This seems like complete bullshit to me, given that incidents of infantry who're been unable to maintain a defensive line against tanks and are forced to try and gently caress them up with mines, grenades, or molotovs show up all over the place on the eastern front. I mean, gently caress, even wikipedia seems to think close assault is a valid way of destroying tanks if you're SOL on anything else. Do I have this completely wrong?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two cents on Nazi aircraft:

The He 219 was excellent as a night fighter. It is overshadowed admittedly by the Mosquito, which was better, but then the Mosquito was one of the war's best aircraft. Doesn't mean the He 219 was bad.

The Mosquito, too, is a fast bomber that actually worked as a fast bomber (and a night fighter, recon aircraft, long range maritime fighter, etc.) The Pe-2 is another good example of a fast bomber/all rounder that was really good at its job.

The Bf 110 did find niches it was in fact good at even if it was not a very good day fighter. The Bf 110 and the Ju 88, after all, decimated the RAF in their attempt to level Berlin.

If we're talking about good aircraft the Germans had, the Ju 290 was quite good as well. There weren't many of them, but hey.

Also the Fw 189: very good recon aircraft that showed a hell of a lot of flexibility.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

Okay, so, I've had it claimed that heavy tanks in close-quarters with infantry, before the bazooka, didn't care and would be able to drive off without incident. This seems like complete bullshit to me, given that incidents of infantry who're been unable to maintain a defensive line against tanks and are forced to try and gently caress them up with mines, grenades, or molotovs show up all over the place on the eastern front. I mean, gently caress, even wikipedia seems to think close assault is a valid way of destroying tanks if you're SOL on anything else. Do I have this completely wrong?

Depends on the tank and depends on whether it has infantry support. A tank with infantry against enemies who have no anti armour weapons is very useful because if anyone starts poo poo with you you can direct serious firepower at them, and improvised AT weapons are kind of a point blank affair. A tank with infantry against enemies carrying AT weapons is probably the first target. Part of the point of dedicated AT is that it's supposed to be more effective and it works out to about 100 yards with a bit of luck. The thing about thrown AT weapons is unless you nearly run over the enemy, you probably can just drive off if someone comes at you with them, you're probably somewhat faster than a guy with a bomb.

Also, like, a Panzer 4 is different to say, a Heavy Churchill which is designed for infantry support and is armed and armoured appropriately, both are good to have but one of them is designed to be a massive brick with a big fuckoff HE cannon on the top for giving infantry extra oomph where they need it, and isn't a huge amount of use in other roles. So it's going to have infantry with it a lot of the time, whereas a medium tank might conceivably be used without infantry support and thus may be more vulnerable to ambush as tanks have kind of poor visibility.

Though that said I still wouldn't want to do it because a lot of tanks have hull mounted MGs on them and they also often come with little gun ports for the crew to shoot out of. Not super effectively but, like, a tank is still a heavily armored bunker full of angry men with guns. Not something you'd approach lightly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 5, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Depends on the tank and depends on whether it has infantry support. A tank with infantry against enemies who have no anti armour weapons is very useful because if anyone starts poo poo with you you can direct serious firepower at them, and improvised AT weapons are kind of a point blank affair. A tank with infantry against enemies carrying AT weapons is probably the first target. Part of the point of dedicated AT is that it's supposed to be more effective and it works out to about 100 yards with a bit of luck. The thing about thrown AT weapons is unless you nearly run over the enemy, you probably can just drive off if someone comes at you with them, you're probably somewhat faster than a guy with a bomb.

Also, like, a Panzer 4 is different to say, a Heavy Churchill which is designed for infantry support and is armed and armoured appropriately, both are good to have but one of them is designed to be a massive brick with a big fuckoff HE cannon on the top for giving infantry extra oomph where they need it, and isn't a huge amount of use in other roles.

Yeah, this is specifically arguing about the implausibility of heavy tanks operating without infantry support attacking infantry without purpose-made AT weapons in close combat. My feeling is that's a drat stupid thing to do because that's just begging for the infantry to chuck a bunch of grenades on the engine deck or molotovs down the hatch or whatever they can grab quickest at the time, whereas apparently that never happens and tanks are more or less invulnerable unless you've got a bazooka or a panzerfaust or whatever. The range here is very short and the tank is very isolated. I'll grant not pleasant for the infantry, either, but it seems like a real dumb-rear end move for the tank to make.

Didn't some tiger IIs get knocked out by infantry with some of these kinds of shenanigans in west pomerania?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be... a bit silly to send tanks in unescorted into dense terrain populated by infantry yes, not least because the infantry will probably just avoid the tanks if they can't kill them. Sure the tanks can push the infantry off perhaps but then you've just got tanks sitting in the middle of nowhere surrounded by the enemy who are probably mobilizing to blow them up. They're not just going to sit twiddling their thumbs wondering what to do about the tanks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 5, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only place I can see tanks without infantry support working out in any degree are large mostly empty plains.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Not even there. Anti-tank foxholes are a pretty universal solution: dig a tiny hole for one man that's impossible to see from a tank, the tank drives over it, the guy gets up and flings a grenade onto the tank's engine deck.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
If you need examples of what happens when you send tanks places and don't screen with infantry look no further than practically any place Russian export tanks have been used against their own people in the middle east ever.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hell, the drawbacks that the Garand had are all part of the reason why the M14 was in turn such a lackluster rifle when it comes to making a target gun.

I'm a little surprised to hear that, didn't the Marines convert a bunch of M14s into DMRs?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EggsAisle posted:

I'm a little surprised to hear that, didn't the Marines convert a bunch of M14s into DMRs?

M14s are a bastard to accurize. There's a great article about it that I'm hoping a TFR regular has on tap. Once sccurized they need a lot of babysitting to stay that way.

The only reason you see marines using them in that role in Afghanistan is due to concerns about reaching out to range with 556. Its really not a great platform for that work

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not even there. Anti-tank foxholes are a pretty universal solution: dig a tiny hole for one man that's impossible to see from a tank, the tank drives over it, the guy gets up and flings a grenade onto the tank's engine deck.

Doesn't that rely on the track driving directly over your tiny foxhole? You'd need a lot of people if you're trying to cover somewhere with wide open approaches (like a plain).

In city fighting is it practical for tanks to just drive through buildings that get in their way? Or is there to much risk of the building collapsing and pinning the tank under the rubble?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

your average infantry company has a lot more dudes than a tank battalion has vehicles. You can afford to spread the gently caress out.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Cyrano4747 posted:

M14s are a bastard to accurize. There's a great article about it that I'm hoping a TFR regular has on tap. Once sccurized they need a lot of babysitting to stay that way.

The only reason you see marines using them in that role in Afghanistan is due to concerns about reaching out to range with 556. Its really not a great platform for that work

Huh. Why go to all the trouble, then? Was it something like "we needed something semi-auto, full-size rifle cartridge, not too big" and there was nothing else available?

If you find that article, I'd be grateful if you posted the link.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

More or less. I'll see if I can dig it up. Phone posting ATM

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ah hah googled it up. Well either it or one that quotes heavily the one I remember reading. Good enough

http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Really the largest issue is how the gun beds into the stock. The Garand has the same issue. Take it apart too much and you fuckthe bedding which fucks accuracy. It also has issues with how the hand guards interact with the barrel. This isn't great in a 1930s iron sighted battle rifle with an accuracy acceptance of about 5 MOA but you can live with it, doubly so if it's a reliable semi auto in a world of bolt actions. For a sniper rifle though it's a poo poo situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ah hah googled it up. Well either it or one that quotes heavily the one I remember reading. Good enough

http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/
Well I know now that if I get around to converting an airsoft M-14 into an Imperial Guard Long-Lasgun that I have the best possible excuse for being poo poo with it :v: