Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'd be very surprised if some of the best/fastest aren't actually the sprinters and spent domestiques who have to bomb the descents to catch back on to the peloton to make the time cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I'd be very surprised if some of the best/fastest aren't actually the sprinters and spent domestiques who have to bomb the descents to catch back on to the peloton to make the time cut.

It was a pointless thing because the people who go downhill the fastest are never on tv.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I kind of wanna see one of the GTs propose an all downhill TT now. At least then the bitching would be justifiable

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Smirr posted:

I kind of wanna see one of the GTs propose an all downhill TT now. At least then the bitching would be justifiable
Would have to be a non-UCI event... maybe "Red Bull's Internal Decapitation". Just brainstorming.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

It already exists in some form, racers wear padding and full face helmets.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Smirr posted:

This actually happened in the '87 Giro, stage 1b basically the descent of the Poggio into San Remo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nScZ7EjVGHI

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Pocket posted:

The Secret Pro had an interesting piece about downhills in the Gruppetto and avoiding the broom wagon.

quote:

SQUABBLES IN THE GRUPPETTO

Stage 9 in the Pyrenees was such a hard stage, everyone was just hosed. We hit that Category 2 climb [Côte de la Comella], and there was more gruppetto than normal. Fabian Cancellara [Trek-Segafredo] was there, it was his first time in the gruppetto at this Tour, and of course he wants to control it. He was telling everyone “just slow down,” and it was like, dude, we don’t have that much time. We have 37 minutes to get to the finish. We can’t slow down. Then he wants to speed up, and then he’s going too hard.

Then Matti Breschel [Cannondale-Drapac] comes up to him and told him “Slow down, you idiot, we don’t need to go this hard.” This is in the last 5km, and we had 20 minutes, so we knew we were good. And Cancellara still wants to be a hero on the front. Breschel just exploded, threw his bottle on the ground, then threw his glasses. I’ve never seen Breschel like that.

Bernie Eisel and Rohan Dennis [BMC Racing] also had a bit of fight in the gruppetto. Bernie was yelling “We’re going too fast, we’re going too fast,” and Rohan yelled back “I’m only doing 320 watts!” followed by some back and forth. Everyone is tired, everyone is hosed from the race, tempers are very short. It was just one of those days, just super hard, we had nearly 80 guys in the gruppetto.

The thing with the gruppetto, when you are facing the time cut, you have to know when to ride. All of a sudden you get these guys who are never in the gruppetto, and they want to stamp on the pedals at the wrong time.

What you normally do is climb a little bit easier, to keep everyone in check, and then crush the downhills and you crush the valleys. You get rolling and you pick up some time, you stay together uphill, and then nail the downhills. But these guys weren’t doing that, they were trying to do the opposite, and it was breaking up the group. It was just strange, maybe they were frustrated, being there in the gruppetto with sprinters and domestiques.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/07/the-secret-pro-at-the-2016-tour-de-france-sky-is-conserving-cav-is-back-and-squabbles-in-the-gruppetto/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-two-bardiani-csf-riders-positive-in-out-of-competition-control/

quote:

Stefano Pirazzi and Nicola Ruffoni of Bardiani CSF have returned positive tests in out-of-competition doping controls, the UCI confirmed Thursday. Both riders were slated to start the Giro d'Italia, which sets out from Sardinia on Friday.

Bardiani might not even be allowed to start because its 2 riders which means an automatic suspension for at least 15 days.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Growth hormones. Recreational growth hormones?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
How do people in Australia watch the Giro d'Italia now that SBS don't have the rights?

Is Foxtel the only way to get Eurosport here? I will never sign up or pay money for that.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Ragazzi, its that time again so here's a nice Giro preview link. There's lots of tasty names and stages in there.

My hot takes are:

1. Quintana's insanely boring and I hope Nibali eats his lunch.

2. I'll be cheering for Sunweb's Phil Bauhaus to win all the sprints because he's named Phil Bauhaus.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/preview-guide-2017-giro-ditalia/

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
my Giro fantasy squad is named 'da bob jungelsist massiv'

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I have such a boner for the stelvio this year. Brutal.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bunch of really tight corners in these last 10 km

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

holy poo poo

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lol

https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/860524851102187520

:sweep: German engineering does it again

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
that was fun as heck, nice job sprint nerds

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
My favorite type of finish, lmao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Leadout man just looking really confused as he rode off the front lmao.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Sky left viviani at home, he must be pissed

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Planned my working day around watching and ended up missing the finish :sigh:

That was fun, the amount of confused leadouts after that corner was great

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Apparently he's been an utter oval office to a staff member so we'll see if he races for them again.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Viviana has not been using racial slurs so no one wants him around.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I hear they've got a good courier if they need to get him to the Giro quickly.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Bahrain going for the downhill jersey here. Good poo poo

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao Katvsha you dumbasses

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

impromptu team time trial

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They did well there

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

what the gently caress was up with that camera work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did he unclip there?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Greipel in pink, lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
mods rename me Caleb Ewan Tiny Fist

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Translation - "Gaviria played to Ewan until climb out you the foot pedal." :spain:

https://twitter.com/_ivancastillo_/status/860886105473916928

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Smirr posted:

Greipel in pink, lol

Can't wait.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lotto_Soudal/status/860890052225904641

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
pretty in pink

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
50km/h gusting head/cross winds soon!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I hope so, as whilst very pretty there ain't much going on

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lotto on the front. They love a good echelon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh HELL yeah, there are new cringey Alpecin ads, at least on German TV. John Degenkolb shampooing his hair while on his bike

wait, if Alpecin now sponsor Katusha, then.. maybe it was someone else