Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Losing to one card in limited is a feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
So here's what might be an odd question - do any of you know of any write ups or (even better) videos of rotisserie drafts? I know Shotgun Lotus did their Vintage Rotisserie Drafts a few years ago, and those were super fun to watch. Have other people streamed/filmed such? Googling mostly turns up nothing, or just articles explaining what the format is, so I was wondering if anyone has watched/read write ups of such drafts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

(I consider the . . . red trial to be nearly as hard to beat)
"This sorcery-speed removal is too good."
– The MTG Thread, 2017

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 4, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I remember the last time we had a 5 mana 4/4 flyer with haste.

Red was good then. People complained.

Coincidence????????????????

I think it's in a fine position for constructed.

What's weird is the lack of counter play. As mentioned before, you can't even have it shoot itself due to the "an opponent controls" clause. Or clone it and kill the original due to the no dragon cause. For limited, the only dragon so far is actually Glorybringer.

If they'd put it as "target creature without flying" that'd be really good and still allow blocking. If they had the damage happen after combat, okay (but likely difficult to word). They could have had it deal damage equal to its power, allowing counter play in the form of Stinging Shot and Numbing Wraps while allowing it to be boosted by buffs.

Add to this that there's only 3 fliers that survives the firebreathing and those are Kefnet the Mindful, Glyph Keeper, and Seraph of the Sun. Kefnet is really conditional for limited, Glyph Keeper is a huge bomb in its own right, and Seraph costs 7 in a 15-16 land format.

Again, I enjoy Amonkhet. I think it's got a lot to offer, and drafting it is genuinely a blast. I'm glad that cards like Glorybringer exist. It's simply frustrating that Glorybringer exists as printed because it will act as a lottery. It's a card you have to pick. If it's P1P1 you're now in red. If it's P3P1 and you're not in red you have to hate draft it because it's that powerful.

Out of 2 drafts and the prerelease, I'm 8-2 for matches, and 100% of the matches I've lost were from Glorybringer hitting the table. One of those drafts I had Glorybringer and all three of us agreed it's ridiculous on your side. It feels like drafting monoblue faeries back in Lorwyn but with less thinking.

Wow I've typed way too many words over this dragon.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Jenx posted:

So here's what might be an odd question - do any of you know of any write ups or (even better) videos of rotisserie drafts? I know Shotgun Lotus did their Vintage Rotisserie Drafts a few years ago, and those were super fun to watch. Have other people streamed/filmed such? Googling mostly turns up nothing, or just articles explaining what the format is, so I was wondering if anyone has watched/read write ups of such drafts.

I don't have any material for you, but I just wanted to echo that that VRD was the coolest thing in magic in a long time.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

clamiam45 posted:

I don't have any material for you, but I just wanted to echo that that VRD was the coolest thing in magic in a long time.

I did find this thing when digging around in Google, however there are no videos on their twitch channel, and their YouTube channel only has the old drafts from 2 years ago. So I've no idea what the deal is with them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Siivola posted:

Could you give a tl;dr?

Cycling being as ubiquitous as it is leads to less variance, which leads to games feeling repetitive sooner. This also extends to deckbuilding as the usual costs associated with a certain archetype are diminished. Even aggro slanted decks can afford a copy of the cycling wurm. On the opposite spectrum, you don't need to be all in aggro to run a threaten anymore.

Marshall in particular doesn't like that high risk high reward cards lose their normally significant downsides, because it takes away from the challenge of deck building and leads to unsatisfying losses (you usually lose to threaten less often because it's a bad card in most situations). Same goes for answer cards being main deckable. He doesn't like losing his sandwurm convergence game 1 to a cycling disenchant.

I haven't finished the episode yet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those... Sound like positive things? "Oh no my bomb card got answered" is pretty :qq: a complaint.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Quality article from Brad Nelson http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35053_Dont-Play-Their-Game.html (not engaging in "paywall/decklists to sell cards" etc, etc .. we all know)

Maybe I am slow or this just impressed me as I am working on this exact problem for Saturday, but I thought it was a good article.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's an 8 mana card. It's not an auto include and requires building your deck a certain way to get the pay off.

That said, that was the complaint that resonated with me the least, even if I agree it's a problem.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It's an 8 mana card. It's not an auto include and requires building your deck a certain way to get the pay off.

That said, that was the complaint that resonated with me the least, even if I agree it's a problem.

They've learned from the "oops" that was the Lost in the Woods g2 deck. Which, don't get me wrong, siding into that deck at prereleases was hilarious. Without cycling answers they couldn't print an enchantment that says "you lose" to a fair spread of limited decks.

Also cycling should be evergreen. Anyone complaining about cycling being a mechanic is already wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Siivola posted:

Those... Sound like positive things? "Oh no my bomb card got answered" is pretty :qq: a complaint.

His point is that putting a narrow/conditional card in your deck (disenchant, plummet, trumpet blast, threaten, force spike, etc) is a risk and that deck building decisions should have consequences. But with cycling, those same cards (forsake the worldly, stinging shot, pursue glory, limits of solidarity, censor, etc) can be in your deck without consequence. You can put the "wrong" card in your deck and not get punished for it.

On top of that, he argues that those cards existing makes game 1s higher in variance because your build around enchantment gets dunked on by a main deck Forsake the Worldly that would never be there if it didn't have cycling and now you don't even have a game plan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Also cycling should be evergreen.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Good answers should be evergreen.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

clamiam45 posted:

Good answers should be evergreen.

look at this guy who wants green to have everything :rolleyes:

clearly, good answers should be everred

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Btw, mono black and b/w zombies is a real deck. The budgest b/w version without relentless and lily is what I would play if I was to suggest a deck to someone. The pushes are the only expensive card that is basically mandatory.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

Btw, mono black and b/w zombies is a real deck. The budgest b/w version without relentless and lily is what I would play if I was to suggest a deck to someone. The pushes are the only expensive card that is basically mandatory.

Yeah I've bought up most of the zombie stuff since it was all relatively cheap (besides Relentless Dead and Lili cause I'm not about to spend that on those cards) and it's pretty fun too.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Owen and Cuneo are stream mtg puzzlequest for some reason now.

https://www.twitch.tv/pantheonmagic

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

Can you share a list? I like having a cheap deck for when a friend wants to come join.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bugsy posted:

Owen and Cuneo are stream mtg puzzlequest for some reason now.

https://www.twitch.tv/pantheonmagic

~Sponsored Content~

https://d3go.com/teampuzzlequest-and-teamd3go/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

His point is that putting a narrow/conditional card in your deck (disenchant, plummet, trumpet blast, threaten, force spike, etc) is a risk and that deck building decisions should have consequences. But with cycling, those same cards (forsake the worldly, stinging shot, pursue glory, limits of solidarity, censor, etc) can be in your deck without consequence. You can put the "wrong" card in your deck and not get punished for it.

On top of that, he argues that those cards existing makes game 1s higher in variance because your build around enchantment gets dunked on by a main deck Forsake the Worldly that would never be there if it didn't have cycling and now you don't even have a game plan.
I realize I'm arguing by proxy but this sounds like a bullshit nonsense argument, to be honest. I mean what, conditional answers should always ever be bad because Plummet was bad? Hot take: There should be more good versions of bad cards.

And what the gently caress does "variance" even mean any more? Because I'm pretty sure "wah wah my deck got blown out because I didn't think anyone would actually maindeck hate for it" is not that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maindeckable hate is a good thing because it stops game 1's from being impossible blowouts

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Variance is "I didn't expect a thing and then the thing happened and I lost." Playing to your outs is "I didn't expect a thing and then the thing happened and I won."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Can you share a list? I like having a cheap deck for when a friend wants to come join.

I will put together a list later today. Both have small pros and cons. I am playing mono black because 24 swamps is just a thing of beauty.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I talked to some TCG (not magic) designers about cycling being evergreen and their argument against was basically there's an implicit cost to putting words on cards and that cost outweighed the value for most players because most players don't want to cycle their cool card and so don't look at it as upside. I don't know that I buy this because part of that cost seems to be that it's not evergreen, and I don't know why you couldn't just stick it on various narrow answers, but there you go.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

oh no, trap cards arent actually traps and I have to actually evaluate them instead of ignoring a bunch of chaff in every pack :cry:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

oh no, trap cards arent actually traps and I have to actually evaluate them instead of ignoring a bunch of chaff in every pack :cry:

You don't understand. You can destroy an artifact OR a land! But this other card that is the same card but you can also cycle it away when it's not needed is bad because who would want to get rid of this awesome spell?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

black potus posted:

I talked to some TCG (not magic) designers about cycling being evergreen and their argument against was basically there's an implicit cost to putting words on cards and that cost outweighed the value for most players because most players don't want to cycle their cool card and so don't look at it as upside. I don't know that I buy this because part of that cost seems to be that it's not evergreen, and I don't know why you couldn't just stick it on various narrow answers, but there you go.

I can fully understand this, I know casual players that would never see cycling on a 5 mana creature they pull turn 2 with screw a good thing, it would just be feel bads when they have to discard a "good card"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

I actually do agree with this point because the idea of a card being cool because you have the option of throwing it away if you don't need it is a bit of a silly concept. It also tends to result in the non-cycling mode of the card being weakened so the card ends up less exciting than it might've been developed without cycling.

On the other hand gently caress it it makes the game so much better

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 5, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

You don't have to evaluate them at all. You just stuff em in your deck and if they're not immediately useful you cycle them.

:byodood: Letting me put cards in my deck for no reason is good game play!!!!!!!!!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

You don't have to evaluate them at all. You just stuff em in your deck and if they're not immediately useful you cycle them.

:byodood: Letting me put cards in my deck for no reason is good game play!!!!!!!!!

action in your deck is a limited resource and cycling is a very real cost. put too much nonsense in your deck and you'll end up flooding out

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm very grateful for cycling in the 30-card sealed league that starts with three packs. It saved me from playing two of those life gain shrines.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

action in your deck is a limited resource and cycling is a very real cost. put too much nonsense in your deck and you'll end up flooding out

Play less land, it works itself out. :proof:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Seriously. There's still a cost to including situational cyclers in your deck, unless you're playing the cycling-matters decks. Playing less lands doesn't really work out well either. This is a format with powerful aggressive strategies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

little munchkin posted:

LSV made the point that because of cycling he'd actually regularly play 14, 15 lands if not for the fact that he'd get color screwed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Playing 15 land and relying on cycling to hit your land drops is a stupid trap of a strategy in this format and will get you killed vs a lot of decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I used the hypergeometric calculator right, on the draw you're 7% less likely (83% v 90%) to hit your 3rd land drop with 15 lands instead of 17, w/o factoring in cycling. On the play it's worse (10% difference).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PJOmega posted:

If I was playing on a budget, this is probably what I would play.

Deck: Budget zombies

//Lands
24 Swamp

//Spells
4 Dark Salvation
4 Fatal Push
2 Grasp of Darkness
4 Liliana's Mastery

//Creatures
4 Cryptbreaker
4 Diregraf Colossus
2 Doomed Dissenter
4 Dread Wanderer
4 Lord of the Accursed
4 Metallic Mimic

Display deck statistics

And upgraded, more expensive version would probably be this. (Basically the list I have, plus or minus a few sideboard cards. Stolen from today's 5-0)

Deck: Mono Black Zombies

//Main
4 Cryptbreaker
4 Dark Salvation
4 Diregraf Colossus
4 Dread Wanderer
3 Fatal Push
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Liliana's Mastery
2 Lord of the Accursed
4 Metallic Mimic
4 Relentless Dead
22 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey

//Sideboard
3 Dispossess
1 Fatal Push
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Lay Bare the Heart
2 Never // Return
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 To the Slaughter

Display deck statistics

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Scry is more than enough for being the evergreen draw smoothing mechanic. WotC just refuses to use it on more than a couple nonblue cards each set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

Scry is more than enough for being the evergreen draw smoothing mechanic. WotC just refuses to use it on more than a couple nonblue cards each set.

They actually refuse to use it on more than a couple cards each set period while also slanting towards the higher rarities. In addition, yes, the vast majority are blue.
BFZ has 5 cards with scry, 3 at unc and 2 at rare
OGW has 3 cards with scry, 1 at common and 2 at rare
SOI has 2 cards with scry, 1 at rare and 1 at mythic
EMN has 1 card with scry, at unc
KLD has 10 cards with scry, 4 at common, 5 at uncommon, and 1 at mythic
AER has 4 cards with scry, 2 at common, 1 at uncommon, and 1 at rare
AKH has 3 cards with scry, 1 at rare and 2 at mythic(although tbf there's cycling in the set)
Total: 7 Commons, 12 Uncommons, 7 Rares, 4 Mythics across 7 sets.

Color distribution: 1 W, 14 U, 3 B, 1 G, 1 UG, 1 WB, 1 UB, 1 UR, 1 BG, 1 RW, 3 Colorless(counting Glassblower's Puzzleknot and Watchful Automaton as blue)

Basically it's only really performed a role as a limited smoothing mechanic in Kaladesh itself at best. I'm not sure why it shows up so infrequently, but I'd guess that wotc wants a higher level of randomness in the game than we do.