Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

if it finishes I will, probably no point otherwise

Awesome, thanks. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

instants, interrupts, and mana sources

Ah yeah, this is what I remember. Looks like it's been out of the rules for awhile now and the stack thing is in place.

In any case I still don't know how to play regular normal card games, but have no problem with fiddly nitpicky rpg rules.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you really wanna get complicated about timing, look at yugioh:

Simple, no? Except there are conditions for when all sorts of cards can be activated,

The most notorious of which would be steps of the battle phase, especially damage calculation,

Only certain types of cards/effects can be activated in the damage step! And that's not to mention all the unofficial substeps listed here

And if that wasn't a pain enough, you have to know that cards worded "When....you can..." can miss timing, but cards worded "If...you can..." DO NOT, the semantics decided by the conjunctions used on effects, listed here, but note, "Do A, then do B" =/= "Do A, also do B" =/= "Do A, and if you do, do B" =/= "Do A and B", and that these can stack.

And lastly, if a bunch of trigger/flip effects activate at the same time to start a chain, the beginning of that chain becomes a special chain called SEGOC (Same effects go on chain), which links together the effects in order of 1. Turn player's mandatory effects 2. Non-turn player's mandatory effects 3. Turn player's optional effects 4. Non-turn player's optional effects, but then note, this resolves backwards, so 4>3>2>1.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a kitten posted:

Ah yeah, this is what I remember. Looks like it's been out of the rules for awhile now and the stack thing is in place.

In any case I still don't know how to play regular normal card games, but have no problem with fiddly nitpicky rpg rules.
cards were always resolved on a stack, they just got rid of the distinction between instant/interrupt speed

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy crap those Yu-Gi-Oh rules.

I think we called it a batch back in the day, idfk though, it's been ages. Looks like they really tried to iron poo poo out when 6th edition came out.

Last time I bought and played magic was Ice Age.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but the batch was still resolved like a stack, last card played was the first resolved. what 6e changed was put interrupts on the same stack as instants rather than getting resolved with priority, and applying damage at the time the spell resolves rather than adding it up and applying it all at once at the end of the batch

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

That's almost exactly how MtG works, which makes sense considering that's what Yu-Gi-Oh was ripping off. MtG is just worded a lot better/more unambiguously(well, it is now anyway)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aha.

And even though I don't play it anymore, I think it's cool that magic is still a thing after all this time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

Aha.

And even though I don't play it anymore, I think it's cool that magic is still a thing after all this time.

It was cool playing it when I was like 5 and then being able to get back into it when I was in high school.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

cute

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

same

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I like how the devil is all "I didn't even have to do poo poo :smugbert:"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AnoHito posted:

It probably doesn't make you feel any better to know that they changed the rules enough over time for all of that knowledge to be completely worthless instead of mostly worthless.

Making combat damage not use the stack anymore was an affront to basic human decency.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Making combat damage not use the stack anymore was an affront to basic human decency.
yeah let me bring a fuckin pencil and paper to my wizard poker game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't understand anything you nerds are talking about.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

an actual dog posted:

I don't understand anything you nerds are talking about.

Here, this will help.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That's by the Bonnouji lady right? I should read that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

an actual dog posted:

That's by the Bonnouji lady right? I should read that.

yes, and yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mirin's microwave

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

yes, and very yes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

That's almost exactly how MtG works, which makes sense considering that's what Yu-Gi-Oh was ripping off. MtG is just worded a lot better/more unambiguously(well, it is now anyway)

The hilarious thing is, this is their PSCT (Problem solving card text), which they began implementing standard like half a decade ago. Before yugioh was a logistical nightmare and individual judges would rule cards differently.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

take it easy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

https://youtu.be/mIjZE4kcg_Q

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are kairosoft games any different than they were like three years ago and if so whats the best one

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

are kairosoft games any different than they were like three years ago and if so whats the best one
their paid games are still the same stuff pretty much, but now they make a lot of bad f2p games that are like kairosoft games + gacha

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4iFaPdN5tM

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wore a pair of shoes today that I haven't worn for several months and it has felt weird all day. Habituation is weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gayrosoft

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

homeless snail posted:

their paid games are still the same stuff pretty much, but now they make a lot of bad f2p games that are like kairosoft games + gacha

hmm so no big advancements in kairo technology eh? dommage

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Must progress always come only through conflict?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

day 6 of listening to the spaghetti sauce song and I have decided to declare it song of the yaer.

runner up is that part of the other spaghetti sauce song where napolitan is like 「ねぇ、ナポリタンとあたし、どっちが好き?」 but no other part.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Watched the first 2 Symphogear OVAs. They're very good and kind of make me want to see a show that's just "Hidamari Sketch but with The Symphogears." They are very good for Chris.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://technology.inquirer.net/61919/look-penguin-finds-anime-waifu-in-japanese-zoo

"" posted:

Just when you thought that admiration for fictional anime characters were limited to anime fans, you’ll be surprised to know that a penguin has found an anime girlfriend of his own.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Golden week is winding down, so wind down with the 2nd qurterfinal battle of wheelwars in 1 hour @10PM Eastern: Battle Programmer Shirase vs Gallery Fake...
https://wheel.snail.moe/
https://cytu.be/r/wheelofanime

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Krile has cute hair under her cute hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ouhanas/status/859985252122374144

• Locked thread