Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eegah gets mentioned a lot, I can't recall if it's in a good way or bad. I Accuse my Parents is classic morality film one, similar vein to a lot of the shorts but as a full movie. Sidehackers is... um... needs to be seen to be believed.

E: the ones on Netflix are a "greatest most infamous hits" collection, so if you don't like one feel free to skip around. They weren't arranged in any particular order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

For reasons I cannot possibly fathom, The Starfighters has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe I just really like mid-air refueling or Bob Dornan?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bruceski posted:

Eegah gets mentioned a lot, I can't recall if it's in a good way or bad. I Accuse my Parents is classic morality film one, similar vein to a lot of the shorts but as a full movie. Sidehackers is... um... needs to be seen to be believed.

E: the ones on Netflix are a "greatest most infamous hits" collection, so if you don't like one feel free to skip around. They weren't arranged in any particular order.

Eegah is where we get "Watch out for snakes!" A teenage girl shaves a thousand-year-old inarticulate caveman while her father watches. The protagonist is more Archie than Archie and that's not a good thing. Eegah is a pretty amazing episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

There's a mini-documentary on Manos called Hotel Torgo that interviews the only member of the cast and crew that's still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKdz7BEXDA

Torgo killed himself shortly after the movie was made :(

Isn't the "All the members of the cast have died or disappered" thing at the beginning of this super misleading? The person who plays the little girl has talked about it a ton.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

howe_sam posted:

For reasons I cannot possibly fathom, The Starfighters has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe I just really like mid-air refueling or Bob Dornan?

Starfighters and Skydivers are two of my favorite episodes, there's just so much dumb, boring, sweaty nonsense happening that produces amazing riffing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bicyclops posted:

Isn't the "All the members of the cast have died or disappered" thing at the beginning of this super misleading? The person who plays the little girl has talked about it a ton.

Yeah I just responded to this the other day. That documentary is old and has a lot of inaccuracies in it. The little girl, the mom, and until a few months ago the Master himself are all very much alive.

Torgo did indeed kill himself after battling some internal demons, tho. :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Yeah I just responded to this the other day. That documentary is old and has a lot of inaccuracies in it. The little girl, the mom, and until a few months ago the Master himself are all very much alive.

I had to stop watching it once the extremely hyped up guy they were interviewing, who sounds a little like Dr. Teeth, starting trying to describe the different underwear the women were wearing with his very best word picture. :stare:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If you have Hulu there are 40 more episodes available. Not to mention the episodes on Shout Factory's YouTube channel.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Has anyone mentioned that Joel, Jonah, and Baron did a Comedy Bang Bang episode not too long ago?

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/strea-hemoth/

Joel maybe doesn't "get" the format, but he plays along well. It was interesting to hear him name Jim Mallon as the main obstacle to a revival, if only briefly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is such a classic episode in large part because the film, on its own, is loving hilarious and not really "bad" the way that say Manos is "bad" (where bad means more "boring/incoherent" than anything)

oh my god no. wizards 2 was dog poo poo

i think what bothered me so much about it was just how little everyone involved cared

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fezz posted:

If you have Hulu there are 40 more episodes available. Not to mention the episodes on Shout Factory's YouTube channel.

That more than anything might get me to finally get a Hulu subscription

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Eegah is where we get "Watch out for snakes!" A teenage girl shaves a thousand-year-old inarticulate caveman while her father watches. The protagonist is more Archie than Archie and that's not a good thing. Eegah is a pretty amazing episode.

Eegah was the first classic episode I saw (back when the DVD came out) and I've watched it more than any other episode except for The Final Sacrifice.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

drrockso20 posted:

That more than anything might get me to finally get a Hulu subscription

Eh, get Amazon prime instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

duz posted:

Eh, get Amazon prime instead.

Already have it, alongside Netflix, Crunchyroll, Shudder, Funimation, and Boomerang, so overall I have a plethora of streaming options

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Just now watching Yongary. I love that lizard. he's like if Godzilla just didn't give a poo poo and half assed every act of destruction he committed.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm not sure if I have a single favorite MST3K episode, but if I did, it would probably be Eegah.

Roxy: WHEEEE! WHEEEE!
Servo: STOP SAYING "WHEE"! NOBODY SAYS "WHEE"!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drrockso20 posted:

Already have it, alongside Netflix, Crunchyroll, Shudder, Funimation, and Boomerang, so overall I have a plethora of streaming options

Look into Pluto TV, too. It's free and has dedicated channels to both MST and Rifftrax.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mokinokaro posted:

Watch Space Mutiny and Werewolf. They're classics.

Edit: Pumaman, Future War and Time Chasers are up there as well.

Add Jack Frost to the list.

Do not watch Future War under any circumstance, even being held at gunpoint. You've been warned.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ballz posted:

Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always. Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Do not watch Future War under any circumstance, even being held at gunpoint. You've been warned.

What if you enjoy large gentlemen, box factories, cyborg Randy Johnson, Brain Guy in High School, and aren't picky that it's not the future and there's no war?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Future War is amazing and I will fight anyone who challenges me in a box factory.

All of the classic episodes on Netflix are solid picks for a newbie except Catalina Caper. That one's a snooze.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, Catalina Caper's not one of my favorites from Season 2, except for it being the episode where Kevin Murphy really made the Tom Servo character his own. Also that episode was a much bigger deal back in the tape trading days because it was the first one they stopped airing due to no longer having the rights to the film. Now it's just another so-so episode with a good Tom Servo song.

Wild Rebels, Pod People, and Eegah would be my picks for the best introductory episode, but I don't think any of those are on Netflix right now. But because I started watching during the Joel years, I feel like your first episode must be a Joel episode, and I'd say go with I Accuse My Parents from what they have available, even though the film is kind of atypical for MST3K.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 5, 2017

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really like Catalina Caper but it also was incredibly hard to get as a trade back in the day, I think the rights expired very shortly after the episode aired. And it contains the immortal line, "There's a promising young artist hopped up on goofballs" when Little Richard is moseying through "At The Party."

Went to see the Mads riffing tonight. They dealt with a ton of technical difficulties, but they were introduced by the actress who played Debbie in Manos, whi evidently lives near Portland. She told a couple of fun stories, I guess she has a book about the experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Starfighters made me legitimately angry at a film. It is something that I can't understand. I have no idea who it was made for. It's so boring. Nothing happens!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

precision posted:

The Starfighters made me legitimately angry at a film. It is something that I can't understand. I have no idea who it was made for. It's so boring. Nothing happens!

The episode is one of my favourites, combo of the skits all hitting for 6 and the airforce / pilot jokes (being a massive combat aircraft nerd helps) Refueling jokes all work, including them realising they've used all of them halfway through the movie

But gently caress ever watching that movie on its own. Its Manos tier except backed by the Pentagon

EDIT- Essential-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 5, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I've got a soft spot for Catalina Caper cause I've got family who live on Catalina Island, and I used to visit it all the time(if you ever have the chance you should, it's a gorgeous little place), a part of me wants to try and organize a theatrical showing of MST3K version of Catalina Caper over at the island's theater someday, although I imagine it'd take a fair amount of work to set up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starfighters has one of my favorite riffs, when the new guys first show up their commander asks where they're from and Mike's angry "Russia?" always makes me laugh.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It just dawned on me that I've never seen Starfighters, and have been confusing that episode with Skydivers for years. I need to remedy this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 5, 2017

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I just realized that Starfighters was probably the Top Gun of its day. They probably made that joke in the episode. I'm sure they had USAF recruitment booths in the lobby of the theaters it was shown.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 5, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I'm not sure if I have a single favorite MST3K episode, but if I did, it would probably be Eegah.

Roxy: WHEEEE! WHEEEE!
Servo: STOP SAYING "WHEE"! NOBODY SAYS "WHEE"!

WELCOME TO THE CRYPT! WE'VE DUG SOMETHING UP FOR YOU. WHY NOT STAY AND WATCH DREAM ON - IT'S THE BREAST SHOW ON TV

kill me

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Eegah had one of my top 5 riffs, but it's not a quote and explaining it kills it, so I can never just drop it into conversation. It's when the dad's waving at the helicopter, but the camera angle has his hand above the blades, so the bots start making the sound of chopping flesh and screaming.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Goons, I'm going to rewatch an episode of the new season which should I go for??

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I just realized that Starfighters was probably the Top Gun of its day. They probably made that joke in the episode. I'm sure they had USAF recruitment booths in the lobby of the theaters it was shown.

I feel like it probably wasn't shown in theaters. It was basically an ad for the plane dressed up like a movie.

In the episode guide from years ago, they also mentioned trying to figure out who it was intended for, and figured maybe it was shown as like, on-base entertainment or something. That seems to be about the most likely explanation.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The Ape of Naples posted:

Dr. Forrester- "Top Gun, this aint."

They used their references in Invasion USA , another favorite of mine. Worth it for the final radio broadcast with Servo humming the national anthem.

Managed to horrify a friend with the Date With Your Family short too, reminded her too much of her family (since disowned)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Went to see the Mads riffing tonight. They dealt with a ton of technical difficulties, but they were introduced by the actress who played Debbie in Manos, who evidently lives near Portland. She told a couple of fun stories, I guess she has a book about the experience.

I think everybody lives near Portland, but nobody expects it. That sort of comment seems to come up a lot.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Starfighters gave us the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus, which alone makes it worth it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gaz2k21 posted:

Goons, I'm going to rewatch an episode of the new season which should I go for??

Cry Wilderness. It can only get better on repeat viewings.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
My all time favorite is Pod people. The run with Trumpy walking down the line of caged animals and Trace doing his 'potatoes' bit wth that voice is the moment I fell in love with the show. Also the first episode I got to watch all the way through. We never had Comedy Central when I was a kid, and I just barely got sci-fi channel right before the 10th season started. So my early exposure was to the first set of VHS tapes they put out.

Space Mutiny is a close second.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

duz posted:

Cry Wilderness. It can only get better on repeat viewings.

"Bang!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm a pretty new MST3K viewer (I watched an episode on Turkey Day and then a few more when they came to Netflix with my partner) and this new series is incredible. I kind of felt like I didn't quite get the older episodes I'd watched, it just wasn't really clicking. I'm so sold on the new stuff, though. So many good funny jokes and poo poo. Starcrash was horrible though, just unwatchably bad. Next up is the Hercules one, that should be cool.