Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think Lamps knows what ascetics means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think lamps still thinks he's posting in Icelandic and nobody told him this conversation is in English yet

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

They abstain from worldly pleasures, practically universally as a form of religious devotion.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
man imagine being this stupid and not even knowing it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They abstain from worldly pleasures, practically universally as a form of religious devotion.

So you don't

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He seems to be trying to give you a smart-rear end answer because you seemingly mispelled "aesthetics" for "ascetics" but since he's such an amazingly humorless dullard it didn't come across

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I do, that was close to the dictionary definition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So you looked at the dictionary definition and still managed to gently caress it up.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I like how the perspective + the rounded wall make the monument look small, like a rock garden

It is. The monument is in the house. It's a tribute the dad formed with ropes upon ropes of his spent ALPHA jizz-- spurted, dried and shaped. And every day, he marches his daughter out to the backyard to Witness the monument, and then delivers unto her a sermon of how her destiny is of the feminine purpose-- to stay chaste and untouched until such time as an Alpha selects her for breeding.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So you looked at the dictionary definition and still managed to gently caress it up.

No, I looked it up afterwards.

lornekates posted:

It is. The monument is in the house. It's a tribute the dad formed with ropes upon ropes of his spent ALPHA jizz-- spurted, dried and shaped. And every day, he marches his daughter out to the backyard to Witness the monument, and then delivers unto her a sermon of how her destiny is of the feminine purpose-- to stay chaste and untouched until such time as an Alpha selects her for breeding.

Is that you, avshalom?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alaois posted:

He seems to be trying to give you a smart-rear end answer because you seemingly mispelled "aesthetics" for "ascetics" but since he's such an amazingly humorless dullard it didn't come across

Well I misspelled and got auto corrected but yeah.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

quote:

Figure a basic hosting plan, $20/month, will get you 1TB of transfer. Well, the Suicide Squad and the Art of Editing video is 2.9GB, so that's going to be a little over 330 hits per month before you're out of data. 330 hits being in the realm of "I'm glad your Nintendo channel is doing well, sweetie, now please take out the garbage" you're not really sustainable. Okay, crunch the video more. 50% more compression. Well, it's all linear, 1.45GB is only 660 hits worth of traffic. 90% compression: 3,300 hits, and it looks like rear end because this is 90% compression of an already compressed format. Now, granted that's a consumer plan, but think of how many orders of magnitude more efficient the numbers need to be in order for it to serve even a single moderately popular channel, let alone an industrial video platform.

At the moment competition is doomed by expectations. As Bad Wolf noted, small companies simply can't do it without a plan of "skate for a year, then sell to someone bigger." Individuals can't become self-sufficient. You'd end up going back in time, serving videos no longer than 5 minutes and no higher resolution than 480p.

Yup. I looked into something like this when working on Phelous' site, and when the Blipocalypse was looming. Your numbers are pretty much spot on. Even going for pro-sumer account only brings that cost down by ~25%. Unless you got into MASSIVE data storage-- where you're basically running a CDN-- the price doesn't drop much. And even then, you're at a level where you could be spending tens-of-thousands a month just to stay afloat. That level is meant for either a large business, or if you are a reseller.

If you're a reseller, you're basically trying to make your money renting the service to other content producers who are willing to drop in the hundreds-per-month for hosting. MAYBE that will be more realistic when Youtube revenue is $0, and Patreon revenue is 3x living costs.

The only hosted-service of that sort I know if is Hagantube (http://hagantube.diamandahagan.com/). If I recall, it's run from Mexico (to subvert US copyright DCMA), and is run by Diamanda's titlecard artist (or a fan adjacent to her titlecard artist). I have no idea what the economics of it are-- how much is paid for vs. fan provided. It hosts all her content as a backup for Youtube (for when Youtube goes apefuck via contentID/DMCA/advertiser friendly bullshit).

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

cat doter posted:

your stupidly ideology makes your posts nigh unreadable and you don't seem to have a problem with it

Unreadable, yeah! At least my stuff is UNINTELLIGIBLE, meaning you can still read it (just not understand it).

I AM TEH BETTER ONE!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

lornekates posted:

Unreadable, yeah! At least my stuff is UNINTELLIGIBLE, meaning you can still read it (just not understand it).

I AM TEH BETTER ONE!

shut up

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CharlestheHammer posted:

You use them on bonfires to make the surrounding area automatically go to NG+. They're good for farming items, and speedrunners use it four times on The Rotten to skip most of the game

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Unfortunately the TGWTG slow decline into irrelevancy is a boring and routine shifting of interests. The only "puzzle" to be put together is that Doug and Rob are not, and never cared to be, businessmen, and Michaud is a controlling dick who isn't very good at his job.

Yes, but "boring and routine" doesn't prevent a topic from being efficient conspiracy fuel. That's what worries me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is it time to :gas: the thread?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Okay, I won't reply to you.

edit: too late

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

buddy that time was a year and a half ago

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's more just time to ban Lamps

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

At this point this thread is more of a quarantine for all the Alaois and BotL shitposts. Draws them like flies to poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

At this point this thread is more of a quarantine for all the Alaois and BotL shitposts. Draws them like flies to poo poo.

who are you

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Do not even ask posted:

You know people keep using this logic to justify lovely places on SA, and it just reminds me of the Always Sunny episode where Mac and Dennis get a house in the suburbs, and they don't know where to put their trash so they just throw it in a room in the house and continually buy more air fresheners to keep it tolerable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know people keep using this logic to justify lovely places on SA, and it just reminds me of the Always Sunny episode where Mac and Dennis get a house in the suburbs, and they don't know where to put their trash so they just throw it in a room in the house and continually buy more air fresheners to keep it tolerable.

it's also fuckin stupid because this forum used to actually force people to only post in specific forums as a quarantine, it was called "training" and it hasn't been done in at least 5 years

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

ACTUAL CONTENT

Jenny Nicholson posted a Beauty and the Beast review a few days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AquBLpXh8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

:yeah:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Every time someone mentions Beauty & Beast I hold out a faint hope that they're just seguing to talk about Cocteau.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny Nicholson has a clever delivery. I imagine she could edit something fancier together if she wanted.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anita Sarkeesian is starting a new series. She's starting out by examining whitewashing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just realized that I spent the whole episode waiting to see Charlton Heston as a mexican in Touch of Evil and was disappointed that she skipped it. Is this what the video game series felt like to people who care about video games?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I once heard Fem Frequency is kind of like Feminism 101

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ContraPoints said something about Laci Green that seems relevant: not everything is for you. She's talking to young naifs and it's not her fault that you happen to be a jaded old pervert.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mGHeCAJOs
HBomb new video on Yooka Laylee

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tabbed, that should be interesting!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I guess that's the last time they'll call him the British Jim Sterling!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man it seems more and more people are starting to bring up Gex ever since Chip did that charity drive

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jack Gladney posted:

I just realized that I spent the whole episode waiting to see Charlton Heston as a mexican in Touch of Evil and was disappointed that she skipped it. Is this what the video game series felt like to people who care about video games?

There wasn't a single mention of the Blackwell games that I recall, and that is the most disappointing thing about the series.

achillesforever6 posted:

Man it seems more and more people are starting to bring up Gex ever since Chip did that charity drive

Maybe this is a sign I know way too much about video games, but I'm confused as to why HBomb's Gex footage is of the American version.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Did she talk about all the racist makeup bullshit Rita Hayworth had to go through?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hbomb's video on Yooka Laylee was good. Still haven't actually played it but the diversity of opinions is nice :)

Max Wilco posted:

There wasn't a single mention of the Blackwell games that I recall, and that is the most disappointing thing about the series.

What's the deal with the Blackwell games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Augus posted:

What's the deal with the Blackwell games?

It's a series of adventure games about a woman who becomes a medium and helps ghosts pass on to the afterlife. I've played all the games, and it seems like the kind of thing FemFreq would praise.

Regardless, they're all really well-written adventure games (as is most of the made or released by Wadjet Eye). To me, it's a series that I think outshines a lot of the classic Sierra and LucasArts adventure games, and in the case of the protagonist (Rosangela Blackwell), it was a character whose personality I found to be really relatable regardless of gender.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/blackwell-legacy/

• Locked thread