Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

Ah so NP is an efficiency rating. I get why you subtract FGA, not sure why you take out FTAs though. Are FTs not considered efficient?

Thanks for the writeup.

NP is the differential between points (production) and shooting attempts (efficiency). It's half production and half efficiency.

FTAs are usually a use of a possession. One FTA averages out to approximately .44 of a possession (one FGA). That's why the .44 multiplier is used. Over the course of a season a guy who shoots 95% from the line is making a LOT more out of the possession than a guy shooting 40%.

In 1972 Kareem scored 2,822 points while taking 2,019 FGAs and 732 FTAs: 2822 - 2019 - .44 * 732 = 480.92
Basically the greatest shooting NBA season before the 3P era.

That same year Fred Hilton scored 708 points while taking 795 FGAs and 122 FTAs: 708 - 795 - .44 * 122 = -140.68
The worst shooting of 1972.

RaySmuckles posted:

...he was just as integral to the spurs success over the last 15 years as anyone else.

Duncan, Ginobili and Robinson have put up much more dominant numbers than Parker ever did. Parker seems like the most replaceable out of that quartet.

zoux posted:

Zogo, or anyone, can you recommend me a good resource for understanding advanced stat metrics? I'd like to understand things like WS and NP better, and what (and how) they measure.

WS is covered here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm waiting for the BBQ chicken.

Brolander posted:

let's take the busiest and most interesting parts of the nba season and talk about boxing, nazis, and boxing nazis instead

who wants to talk about how good lebron james is, i could do it all day

I'd like to see Butterbean vs. LBJ in the ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJT99suKerg

tanglewood1420 posted:

I disagree with the premise of this article. Who doesn't want Warriors v Cavs III? (Other than Spurs, Rockets and Celtics fans) The last series was one of the greatest most entertaining championship series ever with the greatest game 7 in NBA history. Who doesn't want to see a rematch? Any other Eastern team would get absolutely walloped 4-0 or maybe 4-1.

e: I've just realised that what I wrote made no sense, because obviously the Rockets would replace the Warriors and not an East team. :downs: I guess the Warriors being in the finals is just so ingrained in my consciousness that I can't shake it.

I would like to see Spurs vs. Cavaliers in the ECF and Rockets vs. Warriors in the WCF.

Warriors vs. Cavs II started off with three embarrassing blowouts and then the league suspended Draymond. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Zogo posted:

Duncan, Ginobili and Robinson have put up much more dominant numbers than Parker ever did. Parker seems like the most replaceable out of that quartet.
Only Robinson put them up outside of their championship years, by coincidence.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Like the you people say, Ball has no clout. You can't sell a hyper premium shoe with an exciting college player who has a goofy face. He's not Kanye and he's not Lebron, and the product is nothing. That's embarrassing

https://twitter.com/Lavarbigballer/status/860278921396314112

I mean he has a point.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Aside from the flopping, Ginobli was an incredible player to watch who did things that no one else, except maybe Lebron and now James Harden, can do. His basketball imagination was infinite. Parker/Ginobli/Duncan are also a good example of how companies can create a spirit of camaraderie to get people to accept less pay, because they actually enjoy doing their job in the company's style and with the people they work with. That's why google has ball pits and poo poo like that

It's funny that they've launched at the nadir of the word 'baller' as well
If you described your car or shoes as baller I'd assume you were making a joke

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gortat gotta finish

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Celtics have PROVED THE HATERS WRONG by barely beating the Bulls after being dominated by them, due to Rajon Rondo and Jimmy Butler injuries and now they're playing the Wizards with every defensive frontcourt player hurt and no bench aside from Kelly Oubre Jr

I'm in a Shania Twain state, that don't impress me much. If they beat the Cavs then I'll take back what I said

Does he have to win the whole series or just take a few games off them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I think he was like 1 of 2 (modern) analytics guys in the entire front office

I'm excluding the guys who also probably got canned, who have been following their own systems since the 80s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHxhQm6ApI

Don't mock Joakim Noah :smith:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ERaewus_M

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

That Noah bit was the funniest part of the episode.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/860234184144461824

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dexo posted:

It would cost him more than a few dollars to make a small run of a shoe where he doesnt have deals amd contracts already like other companies do.

I mean I'm assuming they have a design since they have a model and then it's just a matter of manufacturing, which, isn't as expensive as people imagine (like unless you're trying to make them in the US or something) provided you're willing to do legwork. If this is really Lavar's business he can get it done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think he was like 1 of 2 (modern) analytics guys in the entire front office

I'm excluding the guys who also probably got canned, who have been following their own systems since the 80s

Yeah I'd be pretty amazed if those guys held on since they were Jim Buss's guys.

It's really idiotic how the internet caretrolled about the Lakers "not having analytic guys" a few years ago. Like clearly they knew what they were doing, you don't draft guys in the late second or sign guys for minimum contracts who routinely end up being major contributors if you aren't doing something right, like unless people think the Lakers were getting lucky nearly every single time for 30 years.

Johnson is the actual analytic skeptic so the idiots who think he's coming in to modernize the team seem to yet again be wrong.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

I mean I'm assuming they have a design since they have a model and then it's just a matter of manufacturing, which, isn't as expensive as people imagine (like unless you're trying to make them in the US or something) provided you're willing to do legwork. If this is really Lavar's business he can get it done.

Hell, New Balance sells shoes for 70 and 80 bucks that are made in the US so even that isn't where most of the cost comes from. End of the day, all the price on shoes is for the label.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

haha see it's a funny joke because kids are both overcharged when buying and underpaid when making shoes shaq produces this beautiful layered comedy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Brolander posted:

who wants to talk about how good lebron james is, i could do it all day

I heard some serious LeBron James hot takery this week on a (non-sports) podcast and it was really weird, like seeing a segregated drinking fountain, it felt like I had time travelled to 2007.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Aside from the flopping, Ginobli was an incredible player to watch who did things that no one else, except maybe Lebron and now James Harden, can do. His basketball imagination was infinite. Parker/Ginobli/Duncan are also a good example of how companies can create a spirit of camaraderie to get people to accept less pay, because they actually enjoy doing their job in the company's style and with the people they work with. That's why google has ball pits and poo poo like that

It's funny that they've launched at the nadir of the word 'baller' as well
If you described your car or shoes as baller I'd assume you were making a joke
What are your thoughts on HBO's Ballers?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chunkles posted:

I heard some serious LeBron James hot takery this week on a (non-sports) podcast and it was really weird, like seeing a segregated drinking fountain, it felt like I had time travelled to 2007.

go on

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

basically, LeBron James is a big baby who would rather pass than take the last shot of a game, or so this Celtics fan believed

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

segregated drinking fountain ... like I had time travelled to 2007.

geez is texas really that backwards

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

You guys, I mean that LeBron hot takes were last relevant in 2007.

I only see like max five or six segregated drinking fountains here per week

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The thing I will never forget about Tony Parker is how his crappier younger brother TJ player played at Northwestern, showed up with Tony rapping in French after he won a Finals MVP, and was involved in this newspaper article

quote:

According to an arrest report, police pulled T.J. Parker over after he made an illegal U-turn near a Jack in the Box restaurant by the intersection of W. Bitters Road and Embassy Row.

He told police he drank three or four shots and two beers at the Bitter End, a bar on the city's North Side, celebrating a birthday with a woman he had hired to work at Nueve Lounge, a new club co-owned by his older brother, the report states.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if LaVar would consider blowing Lonzo's first year of NBA money on a Super Bowl add for BBB.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

R.D. Mangles posted:

The thing I will never forget about Tony Parker is how his crappier younger brother TJ player played at Northwestern, showed up with Tony rapping in French after he won a Finals MVP, and was involved in this newspaper article

I always wondered if they actually pull people over for doing a U turn there. I just drive the extra 20 feet to do a uturn on Embassy Row instead of on Bitters. No idea on the legality of doing a U turn there, but there's no sign.

Thanks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What are your thoughts on HBO's Ballers?

It's not a comedy but not really a drama, has the rock playing a role that goes against absolutely everything he's good at (being a funny clever bully who's confused by people being less than good than him) by playing the straight man to Rob Cordry, who has to play his role somewhat subdued to make the Rock seem less bland, and it's just a mess. It's a real loving mess. Here's a cameo from a marble mouthed pro athlete. Oh the athlete is embarrassing Rob Cordry. That's what I'm interested in, a rich man with no charisma humiliating our underdog co-protagonist. It's a very poor attempt to bring back the male demographic, like Bill Simmons's show. And helped drag the word ballers even further out of the teen dictionary

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Nice

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

haha see it's a funny joke because kids are both overcharged when buying and underpaid when making shoes shaq produces this beautiful layered comedy

:capitalism:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Scotty shall be back in the conference finals

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

morestuff posted:

The Miles Plumlee trade made some sense because it qualified Charlotte for the larger Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception instead of the Room Mid-Level Exception but I've stopped saying that out loud to people

What about the next 3 years of that horrible contract.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's not a comedy but not really a drama, has the rock playing a role that goes against absolutely everything he's good at (being a funny clever bully who's confused by people being less than good than him) by playing the straight man to Rob Cordry, who has to play his role somewhat subdued to make the Rock seem less bland, and it's just a mess. It's a real loving mess. Here's a cameo from a marble mouthed pro athlete. Oh the athlete is embarrassing Rob Cordry. That's what I'm interested in, a rich man with no charisma humiliating our underdog co-protagonist. It's a very poor attempt to bring back the male demographic, like Bill Simmons's show. And helped drag the word ballers even further out of the teen dictionary

Elizabeth Warren is a huge Ballers fan. She wrote about it in her book.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ballers is terrible but I always end up watching while I'm doing some other work on the computer. And I get that the Rock 's character is charismatic and kind and decent but all evidence on the show demonstrates he should not be investing other people's money. The cameos are also lame, like late Entourage lame.

Oh and Olynyk is a bitch and an embarrassment to Canadians

BWV fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 5, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Yeah I'd be pretty amazed if those guys held on since they were Jim Buss's guys.

It's really idiotic how the internet caretrolled about the Lakers "not having analytic guys" a few years ago. Like clearly they knew what they were doing, you don't draft guys in the late second or sign guys for minimum contracts who routinely end up being major contributors if you aren't doing something right, like unless people think the Lakers were getting lucky nearly every single time for 30 years.

Johnson is the actual analytic skeptic so the idiots who think he's coming in to modernize the team seem to yet again be wrong.

Me and all of the Lakers fans at work are all super afraid that Magic is gonna draft Ball over Fultz if he has the chance

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hollering

Dejan Bimble posted:

Like the you people say, Ball has no clout. You can't sell a hyper premium shoe with an exciting college player who has a goofy face. He's not Kanye and he's not Lebron, and the product is nothing. That's embarrassing

He's trying to establish a brand by establishing a brand. He's like the sportsdad equivalent of a sketchy club promoter except he's got even dumber shoes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Elizabeth Warren is a huge Ballers fan. She wrote about it in her book.

https://twitter.com/nsilverberg/status/859206843935014913

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I actually have a ballers podcast and my friend owns ballerspodcast.com. We went to the collision conference last year and went to Shane Battier's Q and A and asked him if he was going to be ballers. He said he hadnt been asked yet.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 5, 2017

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Just wanted to check in to tell the people who whine about Nazi punching to kiss my Jewish rear end. The people who advocate for genocide don't have "points" worth debating, and if you would shove me and other people into an oven if given half a chance I firmly advocate for you to be punched, maimed, and whatever else is necessary to ensure you never speak again. To those who insist on the "moral high ground", keep your sniveling bullshit liberalism far away from me, please.

Charles Barkley is a moron for giving him airtime not because punching Nazis is bad but because there is no value to to "I think Jews and black folks should be ethnically cleansed" "Well, I disagree".

I mean the Holocaust really sucked but at least the Nazis had free speech right

Back to basketball: maybe it's terrible asset management but the Raptors need to trade DeRozan and let everyone else walk. This team, even with a new coach, is what it is and the complexion of it won't change as long as DeMar is around. I love the guy, but no. Trade him to the Lakers.

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 5, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
No one here is saying they have points to debate. You don't need to listen to them or to change their hearts, or to engage in debate. But if you punch them they get to go on TV, so stop telling people to do that. The experiment has clear results, since being punched Richard Spencer has gotten to spread his message more than ever before. It doesn't stop a thing.

Of course Barkley will give him airtime because people who get attention get more attention. Advocating random violence is creating a platform for them. Stop giving them that favor if you don't want them spreading their message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
He was LITERALLY BEING INTERVIEWED, ON CAMERA, WHEN HE GOT PUNCHED. And somehow it's the punching that is expanding his profile?

Richard Spencer was all over the news before the punch. He had a fawning profile in Mother Jones. He was not hurting for exposure before this. He was roundly mocked for it, and it was great. He's become a punchline - no pun intended - as the white supremacist who got his face bashed in and has been threatened and/or physically assaulted when he's been in public, including having to leave a white power rally because he was scared. This is a good thing.

His message is being spread by the President of the United loving States. Don't worry, it's the message and the platform are out there regardless of whether he gets punched or not.

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 5, 2017

• Locked thread