Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, but you wouldn't be doing that for democracy, you'd be doing that to sow dissent and create chaos. Once those mutants had thrown off their oppressive overlords, it would immediately turn into an episode of the Twilight Zone, where the strongest mutants/three-armed mutants/less ugly mutants become the new rulers and oppress the other muties in a cruel parody of their previous existence.

And you'll just laugh and laugh and laugh...

Until the four armed mutants show up and ruin everything, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, but you wouldn't be doing that for democracy, you'd be doing that to sow dissent and create chaos. Once those mutants had thrown off their oppressive overlords, it would immediately turn into an episode of the Twilight Zone, where the strongest mutants/three-armed mutants/less ugly mutants become the new rulers and oppress the other muties in a cruel parody of their previous existence.

And you'll just laugh and laugh and laugh...

“All mutants are equal, but some mutants are more equal than others.”

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

"Three arms good! Two arms bad!"

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
All worth it, I'd say! And all going according to plan, too...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Welp, pulled the trigger on battlefleet gothic armada.

Is the DLC any good?

Never played the game, but 15 bucks sounds fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The DLC is races only, which might be nice if there was a multiplayer community or you're really into skirmishing. The Tau are fun.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just saw a video on youtube about "Roo-booty Gillyman" waking up and making super space marines???

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Imperial propaganda is so strong, it has managed to transcend the bounds of its fictional world and convinced real life people that democracy is weak and fascism is necessary to maintain the status quo, it's amazing. GW writers are really good at this!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

berzerkmonkey posted:

You're in luck because it's on sale for 60% off on Steam until May 5th.

10,000 years of separation from everything that makes a person human will do that to you. Also, they had a poor start anyway, what with thinking "the flesh is weak" and all.

Oh thank you for this! I'll be buying it on Friday when I get paid!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

pubic works project posted:

Oh thank you for this! I'll be buying it on Friday when I get paid!

lol @ paying with actually disposable and available funds...how unamerican :smuggo:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

lol @ paying with actually disposable and available funds...how unamerican :smuggo:

Yeah I know :(

My wife has an iron grip on the money because she knows me so well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cythereal posted:

Congratulations, you've picked up on a running theme of the Imperium of Man. Part of Perturabo's bitterness is that he's a strong believer in democracy, and the Imperium in general and Emperor in particular has no time for that poo poo.

Don't be an rear end, I've been into 40k since the early 90s, I've noticed the themes. :v: The dialogue of the Hands doesn't even try to hide it, and it's explicitly contrasted by having a Salamander there with completely opposite views.

Also; Iron HANDS, not Iron WARRIORS. Who are very much not into democracy and very much into strength above all things, and also replacing the weak flesh.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In fairness part of the identity of the Iron Hands is also from their primary getting killed. What might have been an honest desire for self improvement has morphed into a desire to escape the pain of flesh and the memory of failure. Had he been more mechanical perhaps Ferrus wouldn't have died? Perhaps they wouldn't feel so lovely? Also they're filled with a mixture of self loathing and self pity they channel into disdain for those weaker than them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm tentatively considering picking up Battlefleet Gothic Armada but the reviews are making me question if it's worth it? I guess for the single player alone it is, but if I'm looking for any kind of multiplayer it sounds like the community has up and dumped the game due to lack of support. Is this right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AndyElusive posted:

I'm tentatively considering picking up Battlefleet Gothic Armada but the reviews are making me question if it's worth it? I guess for the single player alone it is, but if I'm looking for any kind of multiplayer it sounds like the community has up and dumped the game due to lack of support. Is this right?

Pretty much, but I'm sure there's a BFG thread in Games somewhere, so there may still be a goon community playing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AndyElusive posted:

It's a great game, and you can do multiplayer against bots as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AndyElusive posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Best Warhammer strategy game out there. It's brilliant.

The multiplayer is just more straight battles, which you can do against the AI. It's a shame the community is dead because it makes a lot of the mindgames stuff impossible (e.g. Tzeentch favour stuff) but its still a brilliant game.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

There's a 60% Steam sale on it right now, so it's not a bad time to grab it. I got it cause I figure I'll get $15 worth of entertainment out of the singleplayer.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is the best RTS game of the last 5 years. Probably longer.

Buy it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well that's all the convincing I needed. I won't be home for a few weeks to play it anyways but I snagged it while the sale is in effect.

I don't want to derail the thread but while on the topic of Warhammer games, I noticed Vermintide is 66% off. Worth it?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yes. Still a decent community and rat murdering is super fun. It's a genuinely interesting variation on left 4 dead

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The BFG game needed a true turn based mode. I know there was "strategic mode" or whatever but I really wanted it to be more like the table top and let me decide my dang turns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So this is pretty awesome: https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/the-helsreach-animation/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

This is, hands down, the best teaser/commercial for 40K ever. GW needs to give this guy all their money immediately.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I noticed there's a preorder page for the next Black Legion book, should be awesome.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Yea I'd like to get into the head of a black legion traitor who was a Luna wolf

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I know that a lot of peeps on here hate Space Hulk: Deathwing, but I still want to play it. Has there been a console release date yet?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

pubic works project posted:

I know that a lot of peeps on here hate Space Hulk: Deathwing, but I still want to play it. Has there been a console release date yet?

People hate it? It could use more levels, but I think it's pretty cool.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That is absolutely amazing, but Helbrecht's voice...uh...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That is absolutely amazing, but Helbrecht's voice...uh...

Yeah, they make some weird choices for character voices.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Meridian posted:

People hate it? It could use more levels, but I think it's pretty cool.

It launched waaay too early and had pretty severe technical problems. They've been patching the performance and bugs for months.

They're teasing an "enhanced edition" that will be free for PC and the launch version for consoles that adds some more stuff.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

MrNemo posted:

In fairness part of the identity of the Iron Hands is also from their primary getting killed. What might have been an honest desire for self improvement has morphed into a desire to escape the pain of flesh and the memory of failure. Had he been more mechanical perhaps Ferrus wouldn't have died? Perhaps they wouldn't feel so lovely? Also they're filled with a mixture of self loathing and self pity they channel into disdain for those weaker than them.

Moreover, shortly before his death, Ferrus was outright telling his inner circle that he's concerned with the over-dependence and obsession with machines/bionics within his legion, and once this whole Great Crusade thing wraps up he's planning to sit everyone down and steer them towards embracing the virtues of their fleshy humanity, which is the basis of all mankind has accomplished, and they need to appreciate more.

Whoops!

If he'd had that talk before getting decapitated, the Iron Hands might've been the most stable and healthy-minded chapter in 40k, save for possibly the Ultramarines.

AndyElusive posted:

Seriously, the singleplayer campaign is seriously worth it; it's got a lot of twists and turns, and the story and game mechanics really makes you feel the intense pressure of barely being able to keep everything from collapsing in the sector that the Gothic War was in the fluff. Plus the voice actors are awesome, you really feel the IMPERIUM flowing through them, and feel like an important part of it during a legendary time. Probably the most engaging campaign experience I've felt in a 40k game, alongside DoW2.

I haven't even touched multiplayer, I just want mini-campaigns like that for the other races.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Xae posted:

It launched waaay too early and had pretty severe technical problems. They've been patching the performance and bugs for months.

They're teasing an "enhanced edition" that will be free for PC and the launch version for consoles that adds some more stuff.

I picked it up recently and it's in good shape, but yeah, I did hear it had a really bad launch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

For a Source Filmmaker video that is incredibly well done. Adding the chicken scratch overlay helps deepen the shadows and obscure the textures on the actual models into something more painterly and less CG marionettes. And I loved how he referenced the Yarrick picture of him triumphantly holding up the power klaw.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, they make some weird choices for character voices.

It's the same voice he used for Angron in Betrayer. A bit weird, yes. For Angron it worked because he is a grim, ragged bastard. I expected Helbrecht to be a it more stately.

Then again, it must be hard to keep coming up with dozens of new voices for different angry fighterbros all the time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they didn't all have British accents

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wish they didn't all have British accents

But don't you know? British accents make 40K authentic! That's why Paul Dobson, a Canadian, is no longer the voice of Gabriel Angelos! It's more authentic!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can see why British might irritate you what with it being the assumed default accent of most of the GW writers etc, but why would them all having the same accent be a bad thing?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arquinsiel posted:

I can see why British might irritate you what with it being the assumed default accent of most of the GW writers etc, but why would them all having the same accent be a bad thing?

Because the characters in Warhammer 40k come from a billion different worlds with wildly variant cultures? Guys who grew up on planets like Chogoris or Prospero where the native language is wildly different from Gothic shouldn't sound like dudes from Ultramar.

And whenever the British voice actors try to do a different accent for the Minotaurs or whatever, it just sounds really weird and racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wait how do the Minotaurs sound. I need to know.