Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kid Fenris posted:

I assume you've played Capcom's Alien vs. Predator and Konami’s Aliens in the arcade, then.

How about Aliens for the MSX and Famicom Disk System?

The best part of Aliens FDS is a tie between the doorrrrrrssssss :magical: and this wonderful thing:

(Don't forget part 2 and part 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

I'm taking a 12 hour flight next Wednesday, what are some good cheap gameboy games to bring? I found my old GB pocket but don't have any games. And my 3ds lasts like 15 minutes between charges.

I prefer lighter things such as puzzle games for my portable black and white systems. Flipull's not a bad pick there. There's a spin-off of Solomon's Key called Solomon's Club. The Real Ghostbusters is the fourth Crazy Castle game making it a decent puzzle platformer (it's a Mickey Mouse game in Japan and a Garfield game in Europe because the Crazy Castle series is crazy). And there's always the Game and Watch Galleries.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

I'm taking a 12 hour flight next Wednesday, what are some good cheap gameboy games to bring? I found my old GB pocket but don't have any games. And my 3ds lasts like 15 minutes between charges.

Mario's picross

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rock My Socks! posted:

I played a ton of Mario Tennis on game boy, it's got some very satisfying volley speed. If you care for tennis games at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh game boy not GBC. Mario Land is great but i don't know how expensive it is.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Rock My Socks! posted:

Heiankyo Alien is a cool little game and always seems to be super cheap. Same thing with Kwirk.

Wario Land, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Land 2 are essentials that are still surprisingly reasonable in price.

Adventure Island II (Solid port of NES Adventure Island 3), Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Mole Mania are personal favorites of mine.

Honestly, at a glance most original Game Boy games seem to be pretty immune to the effects of the Retro Gaming bubble, with some notable exceptions like the Mega Man games and Kid Dracula.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is a very fun game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Wario Land 2 is the best game on the Game Boy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Yes, no.

I'm the type of guy for whom gameplay>anything else, and with a loop as satisfying as Doom's, the game never wore out its welcome.
I think Doom 2016 could have used some more new stuff in the later parts of the game, to mix things up. As things stand, there are no new non-boss monsters introduced after the Cyber-Mancubus in level 8 of 13. One or two more monsters would have made the latter parts of the game even better.

MinibarMatchman posted:

idk what hosed up futuristic tech ArcSys uses to create Guilty Gear Xrd but I hope everyone learns it or steals it
There's not really any unique or crazy tech behind Xrd. It's just clever usage of Unreal Engine 3 features with some custom shaders to help the character artists hand-tweak the shading effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
My 3DO collection:

The Need for Speed
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Ballz 3D
Zhadnost
Kakinoki Shogi
Trip'd

Still gotta recap the drat thing. It's kind of a bitch to disassemble and I don't have a soldering iron yet.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Adventure Island II (Solid port of NES Adventure Island 3), Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Mole Mania are personal favorites of mine.

Mole Mania is great. That game is criminally overlooked. It's the Miyamoto game no-one ever talks about.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Discount Viscount posted:

I almost bought two of those 3DO Capcom Soldier controllers back when you could still place international orders with Surugaya. You can't remap the controls for SSF2 Turbo to work right with the more common 3DO 6-button controller, and—taking a quick peek at eBay—$170 just isn't worth it to have something worth playing besides CPU Bach and a burned copy of Lucienne's Quest.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 5, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shadow Hog posted:

I will say, though, as far as "3DO games that got superior ports to other consoles" goes, its copy of Need for Speed remains the only one with the X-Man. Whether his absence is part of what makes other versions superior, or his presence makes the 3DO version the one to get, I'll leave up to everyone else.
The X-Man is just one of the reasons why the 3DO version of The Need for Speed is the best one. :colbert: (sadly I only own the Japanese Over Drivin' version, which cut out the X-Man scenes)

The Saturn and PS1 ports are all right, but they tried to turn the game into more of an arcade racer and changed the handling to fit that style (never played the PC ports, but they apparently did the same thing -- yes, ports, there were two). It's certainly not awful or anything, but NFS was originally designed as more of a driving game rather than a racing game, with a handling model that was as accurate a simulation as you could reasonably have on a console game in 1994. To me it basically feels like a more realistic version of OutRun, and I absolutely love that. Yes, the ports run much smoother (the original runs at about 15 fps at all times, but you can use an emulator to at least get to 30) and have more content, but the original 3DO release is easily my preferred version and my favorite game in the entire series.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Rollersnake posted:

I almost bought two of those 3DO Capcom Soldier controllers back when you could still order place international orders with Surugaya. You can't remap the controls for SSF2 Turbo to work right with the more common 3DO 6-button controller, and—taking a quick peek at eBay—$170 just isn't worth it to have something worth playing besides CPU Bach and a burned copy of Lucienne's Quest.

Yeah, the second copy of Super Turbo I got came with one of those other six-buttons and it's hilarious/infuriating that Pause is where MP should be and the game has no control config (unlike the SNES SFII ports.) I got lucky and found a reasonable eBay auction for 2 Soldier pads however many years ago and got those.

(Said second copy of Super Turbo also appears to be the French-Canadien release, based on the French manual with the original "X" main art for the game. IIRC there was some weird bug with the game music not playing/cutting off on the matchup screen or something.)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Incoming: pictures of a cool-as-gently caress crayon-melting project my wife did for me.

The finished product:

Once we get a few LED strips for the interior of the shadowbox, we're planning on lighting it up like you see above. It looks better in person.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 5, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:chloe:

The NES classic I bitched about came in and learning it's easy to open up and upload any game just made this thing a beautiful addition.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

CDi:
uhhh the zeldas, ironically?

3DO:
Way of the Warrior, ironically?
...Zhadnost?

Laser Lords :colbert:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Rock My Socks! posted:

donkey kong 94

best game on the system hands down

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zand posted:

donkey kong 94

best game on the system hands down

i'd also elect the final fantasy legend series, and ff adventure. and Link's Awakening if you never played it before.

Assuming you have a black and white Game Boy, it doesn't make a difference if you get Link's Awakening vanilla or DX, although the DX will have extra NPC's chastising you for not having Nintendo's latest toy (the GB Color) and you won't be able to play through a bonus dungeon in it unless you play it on a GB Color. As far as actual gameplay (item location, mainline dungeon layout etc.) the games are identical.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 5, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dragon Warrior Monsters is the poo poo. Kinda doubt it's cheap though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dr. Dos posted:

Official Crash Bandicoot Aku Aku shirt gives a canon spelling to what that mask yells when collected

:siren: OODIBIGAH :siren:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/changes-mens-graphic-print-t-shirt?ID=4626604&CategoryID=30423

Oh I can totally hear it now :) A years long nightmare is finally over.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

:chloe:

The NES classic I bitched about came in and learning it's easy to open up and upload any game just made this thing a beautiful addition.

Unless you have a mac.
:smith:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

how anyone can leave out Zombie Dinos from Planet Zeltoid is beyond me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rock My Socks! posted:

Qix is a great time waster imo.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks for all the advise everyone; I went to a local shop during my lunch break at work and picked up Wario Land II, Heiankyo Alien and Tennis for about $25. Hopefully the battery save in WLII still works (though I'm hopeful as my much older copy of Link's Awakening still saves fine 25 years later).

I played through Super Mario Land a few years ago...not sure how to feel about that one. It's not a bad game per se, but after playing 'real' Mario games for so many years the way that Mario handles just seems really off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Qix is a great time waster imo.

That's kind of a fun topic that's nicely tangential here: what are the good arcade ports to the Game Boy?

I recall Space Invaders having a surprisingly good version with a second version of the game hidden inside it for when you play on the Super Game Boy. And I've heard Elevator Action on the system isn't bad. What else is there?

Rock My Socks! posted:

I played through Super Mario Land a few years ago...not sure how to feel about that one. It's not a bad game per se, but after playing 'real' Mario games for so many years the way that Mario handles just seems really off.

The first time I played Mario Land back when it came out, I beat it. It's way too simple, the levels are simultaneously long and boring while the game itself is too short, and the bounce ball just isn't an interesting power up. It's not my least favorite Mario platformer, but it's close.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 5, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rock My Socks! posted:

Thanks for all the advise everyone; I went to a local shop during my lunch break at work and picked up Wario Land II, Heiankyo Alien and Tennis for about $25. Hopefully the battery save in WLII still works (though I'm hopeful as my much older copy of Link's Awakening still saves fine 25 years later).

Not that I'm going to discourage you from buying games for old consoles, but you should replace your 3DS battery some time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is it difficult to replace the battery in a 3DS?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's extremely easy if you have a small screwdriver.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

And you can get replacement batteries directly from their store for ~$15.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I am a day too late but Final Fantasy Legend 1 was made to be finished in 8 hours or so. And you can probably clear Dragon Quest 1 GB in like, 5. So those two back-to-back would be perfect for your situation.

RPGs are the best portable games, IMO (as long as you can save anywhere). Also turn-based strategy.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Star Man posted:

Not that I'm going to discourage you from buying games for old consoles, but you should replace your 3DS battery some time.

Is short battery life not normal? My N3DS is brand new (got it on black friday 2016).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rock My Socks! posted:

Is short battery life not normal? My N3DS is brand new (got it on black friday 2016).

If all you're getting is 15 minutes that's definitely not normal, you should be getting something more in line with 4-5 hours.

That said, the 3DS does drain when in sleep mode somewhat, so if it's "charging while resting, unplugging, and then days later I'm only getting 15 minutes" that's normal, turn your 3DS off completely when not in use.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I am a day too late but Final Fantasy Legend 1 was made to be finished in 8 hours or so.
Huh, I should probably give that a run at some point, then. Picked up it, Legend 2 and Adventure last month (as well as FFII/FFIII for SNES - i.e., FFIV and FFVI). Would've gotten FF Legend 3 too, if Gamestop had any in stock on their site at the time of ordering...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So the SNES CD prototype officially works now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIfPuziJ-0

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

univbee posted:

If all you're getting is 15 minutes that's definitely not normal, you should be getting something more in line with 4-5 hours.

That said, the 3DS does drain when in sleep mode somewhat, so if it's "charging while resting, unplugging, and then days later I'm only getting 15 minutes" that's normal, turn your 3DS off completely when not in use.

Ugh that was an odd typo. It lasts about 2 hours, not 15 minutes. Still seems pretty short for a modern handheld, though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

That's kind of a fun topic that's nicely tangential here: what are the good arcade ports to the Game Boy?

I recall Space Invaders having a surprisingly good version with a second version of the game hidden inside it for when you play on the Super Game Boy. And I've heard Elevator Action on the system isn't bad. What else is there?

Dig Dug, Lock 'n Chase, and Avenging Spirit all come to mind.

Takara's fighting game ports aren't often thought of as "good" but they're among the few games to use the Super Game Boy in clever/appealing ways.

Might be the best version of Battle Arena Toshinden! :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rock My Socks! posted:

Ugh that was an odd typo. It lasts about 2 hours, not 15 minutes. Still seems pretty short for a modern handheld, though.

That is an odd typo, but 2 hours also seems short if it's a true 2 hours.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

SwissCM posted:

Capcom's AvP was everywhere back in the day, I think about 3 places in my area had it in rotation.

It's one of my favorite arcade games, and I'd own whatever system hosted a home version: 32X, Jaguar, 3DO, PC-FX, Playdia, Pippin. It wouldn't matter.

Sadly, no console port of Capcom's AvP came around. A 32X version was rumored, but I doubt it got far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I ordered a handful of repros on aliexpress. Alien Soldier, Pulseman and God Medicine. It was pretty impulsive, but at 5 bucks a pop, I couldn't resist.

• Locked thread