Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was expecting SOMEONE other than Kayden, but I had no idea who. Just some scary fucker we recognized to show how reckless and dangerous Helix/Felicity's actions were that they didn't even double check they were releasing the right prisoner.

The path they went was less interesting in the short term but I'll give it a pass since it seemed to be designed to keep Helix/Kayden open to future story stuff. And mostly I'm just glad that side plot is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I will take a competent but bland Felicity hacker storyline over relationship melodrama Felicity any day of the week. Twice on sundays.

Seriously though, this whole season has been 100% relationship angst free. Even if they lean hard on oliver and felicity as they approach the finish line, I'm okay with it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Not to mention she has a much more justifiable position this time around then she did she she was all "How dare you not tell me you had a child after mother of said child told you she'd never let you see the kid ever again if you did tell anyone!!"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I will take a competent but bland Felicity hacker storyline over relationship melodrama Felicity any day of the week. Twice on sundays.

Seriously though, this whole season has been 100% relationship angst free. Even if they lean hard on oliver and felicity as they approach the finish line, I'm okay with it.
Last episode was more like putting a bow on the Helix storyline which will feed into next season in some fashion, and Felicity basically took point in that plot arc, so of course she should feature prominently in it. I honestly had no qualms about what happened last week.

And this week is almost like a bottle-ish? episode, which throws Oliver and Felicity together and basically forces them to talk about relationship drama? Sounds iffy on paper but I'll wait for the execution of it. Might not be too bad if you have the rest of the season to go by.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sober posted:

And this week is almost like a bottle-ish? episode, which throws Oliver and Felicity together and basically forces them to talk about relationship drama? Sounds iffy on paper but I'll wait for the execution of it. Might not be too bad if you have the rest of the season to go by.

Me and STAC were discussing this before and I am a bit worried about it if it indeed goes that way. The Olicity poo poo has been at a good level this entire season (as in almost 0). Why gently caress it up now....*grumble*

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I just got around watching the last episode, and I have to say that the technobabble is getting offensively stupid. I know its comicbook show and Felicity is still seen as important character, but could it be please toned down a little?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xarn posted:

I just got around watching the last episode, and I have to say that the technobabble is getting offensively stupid. I know its comicbook show and Felicity is still seen as important character, but could it be please toned down a little?

They'll get on that just as soon as they've reversed the negative power couplings. :techno:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Personally I love that on a show that has resurrection pools, a dude who built a flying/shrinking suit, a boxing glove arrow, and once shot down a helicopter with an arrow in the middle of a city and just walked away and yet they can still annoy people with good old fashioned hacker gibberish.

There's a kind of beauty to it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

They'll get on that just as soon as they've reversed the negative power couplings. :techno:

You fool! You'll reverse the polarity of the neutron flow! :stonk:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Getting caught up and its nice that they are still doing the weird flashpoint changes, in this case everyone caring about the Maximum Force arcade game. Barry you have a lot to answer for.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

STAC Goat posted:

Personally I love that on a show that has resurrection pools, a dude who built a flying/shrinking suit, a boxing glove arrow, and once shot down a helicopter with an arrow in the middle of a city and just walked away and yet they can still annoy people with good old fashioned hacker gibberish.

To me its about whether it feels like they are trying to make it seem plausible. Resurrection pool? Whatever, just magic. Shrinking robosuit? Whatever, magic technology. "Hacker" gibberish? Look, its magic anyway, just don't try to explain it like if it wasn't. :shrug:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Love that Argus put miniguns and a laser grid to guard a lock that needs 2 keys (that would take 24 hours to hack) on... a plain old shipping container. If you could hack the guns and the grid you could have saved yourself the effort of getting the keys and just brought a cutting torch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was an Argus super cell that's just disguised as a shipping container.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Or a crowbar.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

There's basically an uncanny valley for fiction like for human features. For an example from Agents of Shield: mutants with superpowers, a portal to the other side of the galaxy, a wasteland moon with surprisingly edible wildlife, that's all fine. But jump forward a month and the stranded person's cell phone battery is still strong enough to record video? That horks people off.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

man, they should have used magic to cure Felicity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Isn't running an internal combustion engine in an enclosed space like that a really bad idea?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

lol Chase Home Alone'd the poo poo out of this place.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

lol showing off Rickards' abs while pretending she's unathletic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nooneofconsequence posted:

lol showing off Rickards' abs while pretending she's unathletic.

Yea, she is crazy swole. I actually like how they showed she actually does work out in her spare time. It was in the episode with her mom , it was clearly after she had finished working out.

I also really like when they put her in clothes that aren't super tight high fashion micro dresses. She's dressed like shes on Sex In The City.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This was a really good episode. I almost missed the Prometheus Chord but then it came back in at the very end, next week should be good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like new Black Canary. So far it seems like the only things about her are that she's competent and likable. I hope they connect her more to the show, right now she could go back to her own planet at any point and it wouldn't change much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was much less painful than I expected it to be.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm still miffed that they decided to bring back the stupidest plot point ever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really like new Black Canary. So far it seems like the only things about her are that she's competent and likable. I hope they connect her more to the show, right now she could go back to her own planet at any point and it wouldn't change much.

It helps that there's very little drama around her, unlike everyone else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Felicity admits she's wrong? I like an episode that's almost 100% Oliver/Felicity interpersonal strife? What loving planet is this? :stare:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Chokes McGee posted:

Felicity admits she's wrong? I like an episode that's almost 100% Oliver/Felicity interpersonal strife? What loving planet is this? :stare:

She really doesn't understand why she was wrong, though. She thinks it was because of trust issues, when it was really because Oliver didn't want to chance screwing up whatever semblance of a relationship he would have with the child he just found out he had. She just walked away because she made it about herself.

But hey, it's progress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show doesn't acknowledge that part of it though. No matter how much Oliver's decision made sense to the viewer, the show portrays it as the wrong one.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

You know, a show having two actors from another show is perfectly normal, but a show having 2 actors very specifically from the Governor's 3-episode Season 4 arc in The Walking Dead is a funny coincidence.

And yes, really liked this episode. It dug into the characters, and had a strong cliffhanger.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I remember posting something like this when the episode aired, and being a little pissed I was taking Felicity's side, but here it is: She didn't break up with him because he didn't tell her about his son, she broke up with him because he didn't even THINK about discussing it with her when he decided he needed to keep his son far away. He's spent 4 years keeping secrets and not telling his team the whole truth, and even after promising to have no more secrets and accept her as part of his life, he still doesn't see her as a confidant, someone that he should be sharing personal decisions with. That one incident was just further proof to her that Oliver isn't going to change, and he's not going to be able to let her into his life the way she needs him to.

I dunno, it was frustrating to watch, but I don't blame her for cutting it off - I feel like that came to a head fairly realistically. When you've been hurt by someone, just hearing that they have reasons doesn't completely make the bad feelings go away.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phenotype posted:

I remember posting something like this when the episode aired, and being a little pissed I was taking Felicity's side, but here it is: She didn't break up with him because he didn't tell her about his son, she broke up with him because he didn't even THINK about discussing it with her when he decided he needed to keep his son far away. He's spent 4 years keeping secrets and not telling his team the whole truth, and even after promising to have no more secrets and accept her as part of his life, he still doesn't see her as a confidant, someone that he should be sharing personal decisions with. That one incident was just further proof to her that Oliver isn't going to change, and he's not going to be able to let her into his life the way she needs him to.

I dunno, it was frustrating to watch, but I don't blame her for cutting it off - I feel like that came to a head fairly realistically. When you've been hurt by someone, just hearing that they have reasons doesn't completely make the bad feelings go away.

It actually really surprised me they both admitted to doing wrong things and misunderstanding each other. It was like two actual adults reasoning things out! :3:

(they still suck as a couple though when the gently caress are we getting Dinah in here)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

whoever makes the next thread better include felicity failing a tthe salmon ladder gif in it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a super fan of Mister Terrific I was so weirdly excited when Curtis got his third T-Sphere finally!

Seriously, I'm probably the only one but this season has all been amazing to me just for the season long small bit a time transformation into the Mister Terrific I remember and love.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Super disappointed that the climax didn't hinge on Felicity being able to do a chin-up. The set up was right there and everything!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Super disappointed that the climax didn't hinge on Felicity being able to do a chin-up. The set up was right there and everything!

That was definitely what I expected from all the ladder stuff at the end.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

STAC Goat posted:

As a super fan of Mister Terrific I was so weirdly excited when Curtis got his third T-Sphere finally!

Seriously, I'm probably the only one but this season has all been amazing to me just for the season long small bit a time transformation into the Mister Terrific I remember and love.

I don't have any knowledge of his comic book namesake, but I liked the arc of him not being naturally awesome at crimefighting despite being an athlete, and instead finding out that his biggest strength was in using his mind and producing awesome crimefighting tech.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I like that idea too, but it's hard to even believe Curtis was an olympic athlete given how much of a bumbling fool they've made him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd hardly categorize him as a "bumbling fool." It just turns out that jumping off roofs and street fighting aren't olympic events. The skills shouldn't translate at all. The only thing being an athlete guarantees is that Curtis is in shape and not just a desk jockey.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

STAC Goat posted:

I'd hardly categorize him as a "bumbling fool." It just turns out that jumping off roofs and street fighting aren't olympic events. The skills shouldn't translate at all. The only thing being an athlete guarantees is that Curtis is in shape and not just a desk jockey.

Exactly!

Doing parkour/archery/MMA against armed criminals isn't something anyone can do.

Like I posted before, Ollie's "five years of hell" works as an explanation for his skill, because it's so extreme and you don't really have many real life comparisons to someone who has been through such an ordeal and lived to tell. Sara has a similar backstory with the mystical and magic-using League of Assassins training her for five years. Dinah is a metahuman with super-screams, ragman has magical rags.

Laurel, Roy, Rene and Thea, on the other hand, just found out they wanted to fight. Thea had a short vacation being trained by her father, Laurel had some self-defence training from some ex-vigilante, the other two just woke up one day and found out that "hey, I bet I could kick some rear end if I started fighting criminals instead of becoming one".

So it was pretty refreshing (and realistic) to have an actual athlete NOT be a natural at street fighting and parkour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I think generally they've done a passable job hand waving away the quick learning curve of the Oliver's sidekicks. Rene and Diggle have military training, Dinah has police training, Laurel did the Wildcat and Nyssa training, Roy was into parkour, Thea took her training vacation, and to some extent or another all besides Diggle have had struggles and some roadbumps. But ultimately they all learn quicker than really makes sense because you can't send everyone off to years of hardcore training and we want super heroes.

So yeah, it was nice to see Curtis just not take to it despite being in shape, athletic, and working hard for a change of pace. And made for a nice story for him finding a different way to be a hero that he's uniquely qualified for.

Plus I guess you could argue that people like Rene, Dinah, and Roy were already doing reckless, dangerous vigilante stuff before Oliver got ahold of them and if they didn't have a basic acumen for it they would have just died or been arrested before he even knew who they were.

• Locked thread