Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Anyways atlus hasn't been hard to find since ps2 days. They even did a reprint for devil summoner and that game has to be their most niche one.

They've done continuous reprints of all their PS2 SMT games, you can still get most of them for around $20 or less (though they're still obviously cheaper on PSN).

I still remember when Nocturne was new and sold out everywhere and tracking to be a super expensive game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

soul nomad was pretty drat hard to find, also p3 was pretty expensive before a million copies of p3fes were $20 brand new

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Soul Nomad was NIS.

The only NIS game that I'm aware Atlus published was OG Disgaea, and that's because NIS didn't have an English branch at the time.

Edit: Well maybe only PS2 game anyway, I just remembered Rhapsody.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

To be fair, that's not Amazon. That's a third party seller selling items with prime shipping at a markup of 70 dollars.

I don't think Amazon even has any copies. A very easy search found another seller selling Odin sphere for 50 dollars with prime.

Anyways atlus hasn't been hard to find since ps2 days. They even did a reprint for devil summoner and that game has to be their most niche one.

That's not true at all. It was $30-$40 when I added it to my wish list and now it's $70. Amazon almost always has the best prices.

Nice try, GameStop Exec.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Franchescanado posted:

That's not true at all. It was $30-$40 when I added it to my wish list and now it's $70. Amazon almost always has the best prices.

Nice try, GameStop Exec.

Are you absolutely sure because there is no listing for the product actually being sold by Amazon. The one that's $70 right now is sold by a vendor called game-ware.

Also my statement would make Amazon look better because I bet normally if Amazon had it, it would be around that 40-50 that everyone else has.

Amazon has a really weird system where if something goes out of stock, they'll update you to the next best one, as long as it's prime.

The gently caress are you on?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I was talking about Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

edit: but you're right, it's the vendor game-ware.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey is that Little Nightmares game actually good?

I had a lot of fun with it. It's in the same vein as Limbo or Inside. Playthrough only took a few hours but it was a fun ride.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I saw that The Deer God is on console now and for a discount so why not and...uh...

I'm confused I ran to the right as far as I could, reached an area where I couldnt' jump high enough to proceed and then the game got mad, punished me in a weird way, and I still don't know how to proceed. I had to get eaten by a fox in order to get back to normal and I'm not sure what I did to deserve that.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I'm a fan of SRPGs and noticed the Record of Agarest games are on sale this week. Are they decent games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
loving no.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are those the ones where you need to do like crazy grinding for skill books or something

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusoge-agarest.htm

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I looked into them further and saw that they are full of idiot trash for animus. Thanks guys on helping me dodge that bullet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does Record of Agarest War have anything to do with Record of Lodoss War? That game was pretty great on the Dreamcast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than using some of the same words in the title nothing at all.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's some pretty distinct phrasing! How odd.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I'm pretty sure Agarest War Zero has without a doubt the most confusing and unnecessarily obscure character creation system of all time. Even worse is that you may not realize you completely hosed your character build for the next 20 hours minimum without a guide in front of you at all times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma posted:

That's some pretty distinct phrasing! How odd.

The Japanese titles both use the word senki (as does Heroic Legend of Arslan) which literally means 'war log/record' so it's just a fairly literal translation of that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's called Agarest: Generations of War in EU, so I'm sure the NA title is literally a play on Lodoss War.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Record" doesn't even sound good as part of a title, didn't "Record of Lodoss War" get rebranded as "Chronicles of the Lodoss War" for a time? I know that's what it's called in most other languages (e.g. French).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Annals regarding the lodoss conflict

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
An Oral History Of the Lodoss Battles And Their Repercussions Amongst Those Involved

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

An Oral History Of the Lodoss Battles And Their Repercussions Amongst Those Involved

Given the article linked earlier a out how grindy the game is, "An Anal History..." would be better.

Real hurthling! posted:

Annals regarding the lodoss conflict

See, this guy has the right idea.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 5, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I always found it funny because in Japan, the "senki" is used for a more literal context because Lodoss War's characters and story are literally a serialized let's play of someone's Sword World RPG (basically Japanese D&D in the 80s) campaign. The stilted "record of" makes sense for it because the novels/etc. were let's plays that got their start in Japanese tabletop RPG magazines the same way you'd see people's character builds and snippets of their characters' adventures, campaign ideas, etc. in Dragon Magazine and stuff in the US.

There are plenty of other things that use it both before and after that get a more appropriate translation of senki for what's going on, like Arsland Senki being Heroic Legend of Arslan in the US, etc. With those Agarest games, "Alecrast" is a major island in Sword World's setting - In Japan the game's title is an irreverent pun on Lodoss War's all the way through. But for the US version they just know their prime audience and went with a super literal translation even though it sounds dumb as hell in English without knowing Lodoss War's context.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting, thanks!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neo Rasa posted:

I always found it funny because in Japan, the "senki" is used for a more literal context because Lodoss War's characters and story are literally a serialized let's play of someone's Sword World RPG (basically Japanese D&D in the 80s) campaign. The stilted "record of" makes sense for it because the novels/etc. were let's plays that got their start in Japanese tabletop RPG magazines the same way you'd see people's character builds and snippets of their characters' adventures, campaign ideas, etc. in Dragon Magazine and stuff in the US.

There are plenty of other things that use it both before and after that get a more appropriate translation of senki for what's going on, like Arsland Senki being Heroic Legend of Arslan in the US, etc. With those Agarest games, "Alecrast" is a major island in Sword World's setting - In Japan the game's title is an irreverent pun on Lodoss War's all the way through. But for the US version they just know their prime audience and went with a super literal translation even though it sounds dumb as hell in English without knowing Lodoss War's context.

Considering Agarest was handled in the US by Aksys, who does really good localization work, I'd venture to guess that they knew the pun and went with it.

e: In fact, I'd say that Ghostlight actually went more literal by keeping the original title's structure and translating Senki into whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember talking about it briefly with someone from Aksys at a conference like seven years ago at a conference or something but stupidly can't actually remember anything useful about this, but I go the impression it was just done to be literal for the US version though. It'd be loving awesome if anyone else on earth remembers classic Sword World geography, I think it'd be pretty niche even in Japan.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lodoss_war.mdb

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lodoss_war.mdb

I still have one of these somewhere (I didn't pay for it, I got it from a friend who ran an Anime business for free when it wouldn't see). Like 320x288 Cinepak at 15 fps or some poo poo, with the bottom 48 pixels being a black bar for the subtitles to go in.

Anime couldn't goddamn wait to get onto an optical disc, not even long enough for DVD to be released.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 5, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

I still have one of these somewhere (I didn't pay for it, I got it from a friend who ran an Anime business for free when it wouldn't see). Like 320x288 Cinepak at 15 fps or some poo poo, with the bottom 48 pixels being a black bar for the subtitles to go in.

Anime couldn't goddamn wait to get onto an optical disc, not even long enough for DVD to be released.

Fresh my from closet of misfit things:

$1 each on clearance from a CompUSA after the push for these failed. Note that they support Windows 3.1...

I actually think I have a few more of them somewhere, but I don't think it's any great loss to the world if I don't turn them up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I almost forgot Anime used to be called Japanimation

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Fresh my from closet of misfit things:

$1 each on clearance from a CompUSA after the push for these failed. Note that they support Windows 3.1...

I actually think I have a few more of them somewhere, but I don't think it's any great loss to the world if I don't turn them up.

I have some of these too, albeit not in Anime form. I have a Saturday Night Live Eddie Murphy collection, and MORTAL KOMBAT.

Also on rethinking I think the resolution was actually a quarter of what I remember for that RoLW disc, 160x144

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lakbay posted:

I almost forgot Anime used to be called Japanimation

It didn't :colbert:

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'd love to cap those animes for tumblr; the resolution all blown out and speckled with off-color pixels. Would make some nice garbage gifs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'd love to cap those animes for tumblr; the resolution all blown out and speckled with off-color pixels. Would make some nice garbage gifs.

they are essentially full-length garbage gifs with dithering and stuff

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Did they come with their own proprietary players? Sorry for taking dealtalk WAY off course but I've never seen the things before.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Let me tell you about Best Buy and Suncoast in the 90s

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what is that, 2 eps per cd? both dominion tank polices had only 10 eps put together by that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did tumblr ever increase their gif size limits