Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gonna vote for Golgotha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm dumb and all these plans are too complicated for me so I'm just going to go with what I know in my heart to be true - that Anime is Blood Bad

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
I always wanted to be a lion tamer when i was a kid, sounds good to me!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
One more for Liontamer

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Golgotha

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Just caught up with the thread (20 hours or so, what a read/watch). Voting Liontamer.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Golgotha

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting is closed!

A damned close vote. If it was any closer than that we'd have done a run off. Thanks to everyone who submitted a mission, this was a big plate to fill and hopefully I don't gently caress it up!

:supaburn:

We'll see how it goes, but in the future I see us doing shorter strikes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hopefully bombing all those runways won't badly impede our ability to operate further north once the ground forces advance.

Hell, it's very possible the Free State will disintegrate on its own and we won't even be needed for that stage of the conflict.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

paragon1 posted:

Hopefully bombing all those runways won't badly impede our ability to operate further north once the ground forces advance.

Hell, it's very possible the Free State will disintegrate on its own and we won't even be needed for that stage of the conflict.

The dictator needs to get to Cabinda for that, and the Angolan Navy is kind of a joke.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They can cease to be a coherent entity/run out of Kickstarter money even if the Dictator hasn't reoccupied every square inch of their land. From what little we know it sounds like they're wavering on the edge already, another good cracking or two and they'll all be running back to their vape shops, summer homes, and College Republican clubs.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Are you implying I made a bad investment building a Polo Ralph Lauren store in Malange?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Crazycryodude posted:

They can cease to be a coherent entity/run out of Kickstarter money even if the Dictator hasn't reoccupied every square inch of their land. From what little we know it sounds like they're wavering on the edge already, another good cracking or two and they'll all be running back to their vape shops, summer homes, and College Republican clubs.

Yeah if they run out of money then they can't afford mercenaries anymore. Though that is less likely now they've taken a mine.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The eyes of the world are upon us :ohdear:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Is... is that monkey groping the reporter?

What happens in Angola stays in Angola, I guess.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crazycryodude posted:

Is... is that monkey groping the reporter?

What happens in Angola stays in Angola, I guess.

Dont kinkshame :colbert:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Loel posted:

The eyes of the world are upon us :ohdear:

Somebody paint "HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS" on a Paveway, kthx

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Neophyte posted:

Somebody paint "HEY 'YALL WATCH THIS" on a Paveway clusterbomb, kthx

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Cathode Raymond posted:

I know the Iris is way shorter range but the hit rate is much better and we might want to consider it for some missions.

It would be better to specify a custom WRA so that our F-4s get a little closer before letting loose. If we're not up against people with active homers (and, so far, we seem to have faced opponents wielding mostly SARH weaponry), we can also get away with telling them to fire 1 instead of 2 at most contacts, since they'll be forced to either fly straight into the missile and die or evade and spoil their shot once your aircraft is outside their radar's field of regard.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whelp. Here's hoping the teams striking at the airports don't miss too badly.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Now for the mission briefing :neckbeard:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Honestly I'm just excited to hear Bac have to pronounce all the names in that plan.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Wait, why are they sandbagging in Luanda before our op? I think we may have a leak. :tinfoil:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

power crystals posted:

Honestly I'm just excited to hear Bac have to pronounce all the names in that plan.

There are only two Japanese names in that plan, and I gave him pronunciation guides in the script, so SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

God, you come up with a plan and all these people can talk about is the callsigns...

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Davin Valkri posted:

There are only two Japanese names in that plan, and I gave him pronunciation guides in the script, so SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

God, you come up with a plan and all these people can talk about is the callsigns...

Well now that's just cheating :v:

I am actually amused on some level watching the naming patterns people come up with for their plans' elements (Wrestlemania still #1 in that department) since everybody seems to have their own go-to source of those things.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Davin Valkri posted:

I kind of hope there's a moment where he reads out the name, then pauses and mutters "who the gently caress came up with these names anyway..."

power crystals posted:

I am actually amused on some level watching the naming patterns people come up with for their plans' elements (Wrestlemania still #1 in that department) since everybody seems to have their own go-to source of those things.

Ever seen any of the Combat Mission threads? People love making silly names for location purposes (though for some weird reason Pokemon is always the most popular pattern from what I've seen)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dr. Snark posted:

Ever seen any of the Combat Mission threads? People love making silly names for location purposes (though for some weird reason Pokemon is always the most popular pattern from what I've seen)

There's two reasons for this:

1) Place names, callsigns, operation names, and other things in military planning are inevitably based on the culture, pop and otherwise, of the military in question. The generation currently graduating from West Point or going through Basic Training will probably be more familiar with Pokemon and football teams than, say, defunct cars and car brands.

2) Pokemon names are fairly distinct from each other, and there's a wide variety of ways you can sort them. There's very little chance of confusing, say, Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, and Starly on the radio.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Little worry about overlap with real names of places, organizations, people, or equipment with Pokémon as well.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm not sure we should be cheering for the Dictator dismantling the Free State. One, it makes him stronger, and unlike Team Reddit he has some idea how to take advantage of the territory, infrastructure and funds. Two, it means we don't get to bomb them.

And we all know a Royal Rumble is a ton of fun, yeah.

power crystals posted:

Golgotha or Liontamer, it don't really make a drat, because you cannot beat Wrestlemania 13 in callsigns, and that's the bottom line, because Thunderlips said so!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Added Space posted:

Wait, why are they sandbagging in Luanda before our op? I think we may have a leak. :tinfoil:

Because the Free State already bombed it once?

Also I feel that news coverage was rather biased. 'The Shadow of Liberalism?' we've established the end goal is a Social Democratic Angola, here.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
If you're interested in what actual callsigns are used, here are some actual military callsigns:

http://monitoringtimes.com/MilitaryCallsignList-APR09.pdf
http://www.udxf.nl/MCL.pdf

And the individual callsigns of pilots (really just nicknames, but don't tell a fighter pilot that to his face).

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Luckily, we got to choose our own callsigns, but I think we should do what real fighter pilots do and have a Callsign Night. Pick callsigns for new goons, pick new callsigns for old goons, etc.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Operation Golgotha has been approved, Hired Goons!

Briefing at 0600.

https://soundcloud.com/user-626960519/operation-golgotha-1
https://youtu.be/Om56tZTAvnc

e: fixed!

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 5, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

Nutsbe (added: 28 Jun 2014)
Last name Chaffin...think about it

quote:

Paps (added: 28 Sep 2015)
Poor guys last name was Speer. Great fighter pilot

quote:

Love Handle (added: 10 Jul 2014)
My friends father got his call sign because his friends decided to hide a condom under his pillow. After getting B*****d at by the DI for thirty minutes, he was forced to put the condom on the handle or grip of every gun he fired.

:lol:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Golgotha has been approved, Hired Goons!

Briefing at 0600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rIVpos78I

Briefing music http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...ame=Hired+Goons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, I'm kicking myself because I came up with a new pilot/callsign inspired by the pilot naming conventions. I kinda picked Pike as a shout-out to HEY GAIL's lovable Landsknechts. Oh well, I'll keep it in my back pocket if Pike gets shot down.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Callsign night sounds like it would be pretty fun, actually.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I've only just learned this thread exists, and goddamn I am excited for this op. :munch:

Crazycryodude posted:

I was in a campaign where we did just that- everyone had to share their characters backstory, the more colourful the better, and their wingmates would pick their callsign. It was good times.

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 5, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

I agree. I'd make a Google spreadsheet that people can edit. Put everyone's SA name and current callsign on the sheet.

Then let people add callsign suggestions for other goons. Goons can vote on the ones they like the best. And after the votes are tallied, people have a new callsign!

Since it is a little extra hassle, Yooper can choose to add them to the game or not. Maybe only have them apply when we got to the next theater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bacarruda posted:

I agree. I'd make a Google spreadsheet that people can edit. Put everyone's SA name and current callsign on the sheet.

Then let people add callsign suggestions for other goons. Goons can vote on the ones they like the best. And after the votes are tallied, people have a new callsign!

Since it is a little extra hassle, Yooper can choose to add them to the game or not. Maybe only have them apply when we got to the next theater?

If we want to make up 'real' names/backstories for our pilots, would those be included instead? Mayb just like one sentence stuff like 'former airline pilot' or 'discharged from UAE Air Force for buzzing skyscrapers'.

Because I think I have a pretty good one for my next pilot if Pike bites the dust...then again, aiming for a specific callsign is just asking for trouble, I guess.