Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So is there any use to the Scrap Paper rewarded after doing the weekly Scavenger Hunt? And are the devs just trolling us by making them non-stackable so that they take up a progressively larger portion of my inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I feel like it's a little bit of a troll but I'm still storing them for now.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Sorry for knocking you out of the bar fight, Blondi!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Hey guys,

I need a bit of advice on the shop, VIP, etc.

I'm approaching level 70 on Osrandir (yes, I'm that slow - it took me 10 years to get a 68% speed mount). I'm just done with Mirkwood sans the raids, and breadcrumbed to Dunland + the start of Vol2, Book 3. I'm chasing dunadain all over the place.

What I really want to get at - there's a sale on Questpacks at the moment. I'm not VIP at the moment, and I don't own Helm's Deep yet.

What would you recommend me to get? I'm mostly in for the sightseeing, hence why I level so slowly.

I have 1250 Lotro points saved up, that I sorta just wanted to splurge on more inventory space, but figured I might want to get a Questpack or two. So what are the essential areas to come?

I can buy:
March of the King, Black Gate, East Gondor, Far Anorien, Wildermore, Great River, West Gondor, Central Gondor, Old Anorien
(Angmar),( Enedwaith), (North Downs)

Lars fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 2, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Stuff you've passed by now: Angmar, Enedwaith & North Downs.

North Downs is kinda redundant. I like Angmar, other hate it. I dislike Enedwaith, others seem to like it. Buy whatever you want for your next alt.

You're currently in Dunland. Most people agree that Rise of Isengard was a crappy expansion. Skip buying it and just do the epic.

Most people like Great River. Get it.

You've completely left out the Riders of Rohan & Helm's Deep expansions. RoR has some alright aspects to it, but it's overall mediocre and not all that necessary to own if you can level past it with other content.

Avoid buying Wildermore at all costs. Seriously. If they did an honest poll of Lotro players for "worst region in this game" Wildermore would win by a landslide. Which leads me to:

Helm's Deep. The worst expansion in Lotro. Unfortunately, they gated 2 Class Trait Points behind it's content, so you have to buy it or you're gimped. They also decided that the Epic Quest line isn't free in Helm's Deep. Everything about HD sucks, including the fact that they made it a necessary purchase. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to buy it.

HD's main "feature" is a new system called Epic Battles where your character doesn't fight as they normally do, but does poo poo like set up barriers and give orders. Orcs run right by you, and it feels extremely unnatural and unsatisfying if you bother trying to fight them. Most people despise Epic Battles. I run each of them a single time because they're always Epic Book quests, but I won't ever endure them beyond that. There's a small minority of people that actually seem to like them, and will defend them with a bunch of bullshit like "they're fun in groups" or "they're fun after you've run them a bunch and have 50 engineer points". Ignore those people. It's literally Stockholm Syndrome talking.

After Helm's Deep is Fangorn. Like Wildermore & HD, it's a complete let down. Don't buy it. The Epic line is okay there, but it's nothing more than a pointless rep grind beyond that.

After Fangorn is Paths of the Dead. Another complete let down. I'm still pissed that we didn't get any group content for that.

You've obviously noticed a pattern here: Wildermore, Helm's Deep, Fangorn, etc. all suck really badly. This was the darkest period in Lotro's development. Get through it as quickly and as cheaply as possible. But don't despair: You are about to emerge into the sunlight of the Kingdom of Gondor.

I really like Western Gondor. It's stylistically a departure from Rohan, and it's obvious that Turbine turned a corner in their development at that point, because the questing is better here. It's a country under siege, and it feels epic. I say buy it.

Central Gondor is a continuation of Western Gondor. It's not as good, but not bad either. This one's up to you.

Old Anorien includes Minas Tirith. For that alone, you must purchase it. I have to warn you, MT has so much architecture that even good computers will occasionally crash because of it. Older PCs will crash a lot there. There are also two REALLY poorly designed quest lines in MT. Forlong's Feast is almost literally insulting to players.

Far Anorien is a lot like Central Gondor, except it includes a forest full of Pukel Men(sp?) that you quest for. Even if I'm not doing a good job of selling you on the individual regions of Gondor, keep in mind that all of it is still better than the utter poo poo from the HD era...Except for that Forlong's Feast quest in MT.

I haven't played past the stuff I've covered here, so I can't really comment. I know that the next region has Picking Flowers as an end game activity(yes, really), and that surprisingly, people didn't seem to enjoy that very much. Go figure.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 2, 2017

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

To piggyback a little on the discussion, I'm not sure what (if any) questpacks are worth having at level 80+ if I have Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep already. Aside from Far Anorien for the current endgame stuff, am I gonna run into any level ranges without any content to run without them?

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Machado de Assis posted:

To piggyback a little on the discussion, I'm not sure what (if any) questpacks are worth having at level 80+ if I have Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep already. Aside from Far Anorien for the current endgame stuff, am I gonna run into any level ranges without any content to run without them?

West Gondor rules, Central Gondor has a few rep factions with barter items that you can trade for a special class-specific essence that you'll want later. West and Central together run you from 95-100, and you'll likely hit the level cap by the time you start questing in Minas Tirith.

It's worth noting that the current "endgame" is The Wastes, even though Far Anorien is the first set of 100-105 content they released.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just read an article this morning previewing the Mordor expansion and that got me hyped as gently caress. Finally new character models? Hell yes. It seems like a lot of things Turbine said they could never do with their lack of developers is starting to get done with Standing Stone.

I can say for sure I'll be preordering the Mordor expansion. I'm starting to run out of things to do in WoW and will probably take a break for a couple months, perfect time to return to LOTRO. I couldn't even remember how long I've been gone, but I figured out that I quit when Overwatch came out. Almost a year. What are the new regions that have been released since then? I think I'll be overwhelmed for a week or two with trying to get back into the game.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ruffz posted:

What are the new regions that have been released since then? I think I'll be overwhelmed for a week or two with trying to get back into the game.
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Patches

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I remember not wanting to pay the 1995 TP for Far Anorien last year because half of that price was for instances I'd never run. Is Far Anorien actually worth buying? I just bought the latest quest pack for North Ithilien hoping that would be enough to get me to 105.

edit: looks like this quest pack I bought might be full of only level 105 quests. There's gotta be something else I could do to get 5 levels right? I haven't played since level 100 was the cap, and I'm not sure what 100 quests I might still have available. This is an area where WoW shines.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Far Anorien is the 100-105 content, yes. If you weren't at the level cap through the earlier parts of Gondor I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to get to at least 103-104 from that, but not sure.

If you kept up with the Epic while playing the easy way to figure out where the quests are is to check your deeds to find out what the last epic book you did was. Then go to the place where you get the next epic quest and you should find everything else.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 4, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

At the price of the Far Anorien quest pack I might as well just go VIP for a month. I just blew the last of my funbux on the newer quest pack.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 4, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Played 30 minutes or so of this on a trial account way back in the day, decided to check it out again. Currently running a Champion around Archet and killing bandits and boars and having a pretty good time. :unsmith:

In the game as Aestrin if anyone wants to throw me an invite to the goonkin.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
105 level quests should be doable at 100. The Wastes might be a little rough tho.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Skirmish scavenger quest Year 4 A good old skirmish, requires you to purchase 4 Skirmishes at 195 points each barring sales. Kinda lame... no game content had ever been gated in such a way before. I bought them having the points lying around but yeah.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Might as well join up with some goons - can someone toss me an invite? Character name is Legellen. I actually still have the 6 CD's this game came on when it came out - lost my old characters sometime but got interested enough to come back casually.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

Might as well join up with some goons - can someone toss me an invite? Character name is Legellen. I actually still have the 6 CD's this game came on when it came out - lost my old characters sometime but got interested enough to come back casually.

No MMO just deletes characters for inactivity/no good reason if the game is still running. Did you:
Play on EU servers run by Codemasters? If so, you may have failed to voluntarily migrate your account info over to Turbine per EU law. If that's the case, then yes, your toons are dead.
Simply forget which server you played on? We had server consolidation 2 years ago and you can transfer your old toons off of your dead server onto existing servers for free. If you played on NA servers, log into each one to see if you have toons sitting there.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Brave New World posted:

No MMO just deletes characters for inactivity/no good reason if the game is still running. Did you:
Play on EU servers run by Codemasters? If so, you may have failed to voluntarily migrate your account info over to Turbine per EU law. If that's the case, then yes, your toons are dead.
Simply forget which server you played on? We had server consolidation 2 years ago and you can transfer your old toons off of your dead server onto existing servers for free. If you played on NA servers, log into each one to see if you have toons sitting there.

Or c) forgot/can't access the old account info. It's not like he said he actually installed it from those CDs with the code...

(I did this one with my FFXI info once upon a time)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-10-0

These are getting kind of long which is good, loads of community events included even though most of us ignore them. Includes the sale info too though, storage and inventory is the current one.

Remember you've got I believe 3? days left for regular anniversary events, quests, and bartering. After that it's just two months of the 10 years of lotro memory egg hunt quests, so if you have any spare anniversary tokens make sure to turn them into dragon kites to use or sell later.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 5, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Don't you just turn them into those barter people for those kits that allow you to convert them into other kinds of tokens?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I'm level 103 and just finished central gondor and ran out of funbux - looks like next is

East Gondor 800
Old Anorien 800
Far Anorien 2k
March of the King 800
Black Gate 800

If I do EG/OA and skip far anorien to do the latter two first will the plot be wrecked? Feels like doing the 105 content first and man I'm so sick of Rohan-related things after spending 4 years there.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xiw posted:

I'm level 103 and just finished central gondor and ran out of funbux - looks like next is

East Gondor 800
Old Anorien 800
Far Anorien 2k
March of the King 800
Black Gate 800

If I do EG/OA and skip far anorien to do the latter two first will the plot be wrecked? Feels like doing the 105 content first and man I'm so sick of Rohan-related things after spending 4 years there.

Don't do this if you care at all about plot. OA and FA are the packs that cover the Siege of Minas Tirith. Maybe consider going VIP for a month instead?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

extra stout posted:

Remember you've got I believe 3? days left for regular anniversary events, quests, and bartering. After that it's just two months of the 10 years of lotro memory egg hunt quests, so if you have any spare anniversary tokens make sure to turn them into dragon kites to use or sell later.

I don't understand, the kite barterer will disapear ?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I don't understand, the kite barterer will disapear ?

They haven't posted that specifically but the main event is over on the 8th, typically at 3 am on the 9th technically, so I imagine nothing would be left except the NPCs who give and turn in the year quests like Waldo, and the scrolls hanging from the tree etc. If they're nice and leave in some barter NPCs that'd be cool, but don't count on it.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I have not played this in years, came back and boosted my hunter to 95. Name is Leashya. Can I get Invite ? ... also how does this all work again ?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I probably haven't collected enough tokens to stuff my bank full of a dragon kite retirement scheme.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I probably haven't collected enough tokens to stuff my bank full of a dragon kite retirement scheme.

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks; what is the value of the dragon kites?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Stonewalljack posted:

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks; what is the value of the dragon kites?

I've seen selling offer for 100 gold in trade and world chat. Doesn't mean they sold at that price.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ok so I am now lvl 16 on a elf minstrel called Lulzwe

requesting invite :)

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Mr. Pickles posted:

Ok so I am now lvl 16 on a elf minstrel called Lulzwe

requesting invite :)

Hello, fellow new player! I am a level 18 captain. We should do a dungeon.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

holy poo poo that we should

add me as Lulzwe and drop me a msg when u see me online. I'm EU so the timezone's kinda hosed but I guess we'll manage

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-11

The new beacon is out, loads of guides for the remaining anniversary year quests, mention of sales (stat tomes etc 20% off, only really important to end game players), and the coupon code is HAPPYTREE for a "Terebinthe Tree" for your house's yard, it's some kind of big bush and I don't know where they named it because that isn't Sindarin

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

extra stout posted:

the coupon code is HAPPYTREE for a "Terebinthe Tree" for your house's yard, it's some kind of big bush and I don't know where they named it because that isn't Sindarin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_terebinthus

quote:

The word "terebinth" is used (at least in some translations) for a tree mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures (or Old Testament), where the Hebrew word "elah" (plural "elim") is used. This probably refers to Pistacia palaestina which is common in the area. The Latin name is underlain by the Ancient Greek name τερέβινθος, which, in turn, is underlain by a pre-Greek Pelasgian word, marked by the characteristic consonant complex νθ.

(Nerding out about linguistics is a vital part of the Tolkien experience)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jalapeno_dude posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_terebinthus

(Nerding out about linguistics is a vital part of the Tolkien experience)

Thanks, not found in my region but interesting. Now I've got to check if Tolkien ever referenced it or if they just decided to throw a real species in there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

He used to smoke that tree. :smaug:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Will the upcoming expansion be available in the Store for points or do they usually only put the expansions in there later? Have they said anything regarding that?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Will the upcoming expansion be available in the Store for points or do they usually only put the expansions in there later? Have they said anything regarding that?

They're still mostly working on Mordor and mostly not supposed to reveal anything yet but I remember during the anniversary stream they mentioned something about pre-orders coming soon. For Rohan and Gondor they offered the base expansions for I believe $39.99, then I think both premium and deluxe editions at $50/60. Sometimes the pre-purchase fancy edition items are actually super useful and not just cosmetic. Going off the top of my head here but I think all expansions since points have been buyable with points, not sure if they do a delay. It's usually a shitload of points and unless you have a lifetime account it's best to order directly from their website or Steam, if they have their Steam store pages all fixed by then. Which they should, I think it's been on the list and they're fixing it before Mordor.

All those words and no clear answer yet, sorry!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

the pubs ingame have been yapping about a "new High-Elf npc race" to be introduced in the expansion.

I just hope they don't add any playable race with that name, cause it would suck quite hard.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

the pubs ingame have been yapping about a "new High-Elf npc race" to be introduced in the expansion.

I just hope they don't add any playable race with that name, cause it would suck quite hard.

Have I got some bad news for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

just did the google search, nothing is decided yet as it seems

I mean I created my minstrel to be a goddamn "high elf" already, why would they do this to me. Galadriel even referred to my toon as "her own kin" in the mothershitting cinematic.

I could go bitching for a few hundred words more, but you get it