Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bogan King posted:

If you said Punch Drunk Love maybe you'd have a point but Happy Gilmore is just Sandler stuff that hadn't been run into the ground yet. Which is basically a nostalgia thing.

There was a point in Sandlers career where he realised that his backers would just hand him $80 million to make a movie and his audience would flock to cinemas to watch it regardless of what was on screen so he simply stopped making an effort and basically had working holidays with his buddies where they hosed around making a lovely film for a few weeks and walked away with millions of dollars in their pockets at the end. People do have a lot of nostalgia over his earlier films but there's also a massive amount of difference in the quality between, say, The Wedding Singer and Jack and Jill.

That pretty much came to an end when audiences decided they had enough of his poo poo and Jack and Jill and That's My Boy bombed. He tried to go back to the source with Blended (tiny budget, even got Barrymore back) but that didn't work either. He then tried to redefine himself as a wacky action hero in Pixels but that also didn't take so at that point he struck up a deal with Netflix (where ratings don't matter) and has been making films for them ever since.

Edit: I don't even like Sandler, how the gently caress do I know so much about his career

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:08 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

He's been somewhat of a cultural staple for 20+ years. It's hard not to know stuff about him.

I hate people that get really territorial over video game consoles. Maybe it made sense when we were kids and only had Nintendo and Sega but a 30 year-old person who ONLY plays Xbox or whatever is so weird. I invited you over to play Smash, don't be a jerk about it.

People who talk about their favorite sports teams as "we". You don't play for them. "We" didn't win anything. They, the team of highly trained athletes, won. Not you. You have a dad bod and are 5'6".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I hate people that get really territorial over video game consoles. Maybe it made sense when we were kids and only had Nintendo and Sega but a 30 year-old person who ONLY plays Xbox or whatever is so weird. I invited you over to play Smash, don't be a jerk about it.

Maybe he was doing the opposite of being a jerk about it and blamed the system instead of the game because Smash games are un-fun to play but he didn't want to bad-mouth your favourite game :mmmhmm:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Inzombiac posted:

People who talk about their favorite sports teams as "we". You don't play for them. "We" didn't win anything. They, the team of highly trained athletes, won. Not you. You have a dad bod and are 5'6".

Has anyone seen one of these people go "we lost"?

Usually it's "we won" or "they lost"

Inzombiac posted:

A carry over from being a child when parents only bought one console and if that happened to be a sega then you had no choice but to convince yourself that the non-sonic games were better than Zelda or Metroid.

It was kind of offensive how poo poo most of the Genesis games were. It's like they were games made for the 8-bit era but with 16 bit graphics. Most of them being simple games with no save function at all.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 06:02 on May 4, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Catberry posted:

Has anyone seen one of these people go "we lost"?

Usually it's "we won" or "they lost"

I have, once my brother starts talking about the Richmond Tigers (AFL), he can go on about it for hours, and has said "we lost" in the time I was still paying attention to him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I guess, to make this post more relevant, my personal Obnoxious thing is unwarranted elitism.

I'm not sure if it's a broken clock situation or just this site being somewhat elitist but there are a few old youtubers that I don't mind as much as most people seem to. I thought, for example, that despite his persona Darknessthecurse's old reviews had some merit (although his channel no longer exists) - his look at the Barney game that he did was somewhat fair - he considered it a good game for children, but didn't himself like it, because he was around 23 when he did that one. As he put it "I shouldn't like it. It would be really creepy if I did like it!"

Also I've enjoyed some of College Humour's recent work, I feel they have a good grasp on escalation, like in the "How tall is Grant?" video where the varying relative heights of the cast were played off with extreme results, like tiny Grant sitting on Zak's shoulder, or Katie's legs filling the room in the next shot. The rapidfire composition complete with the surreal ending really worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXi_rvD6r10 (The final 40 seconds are irrelevant, part of a larger joke in which Mike Trapp killed Pat to stage a "True Crimes" documentary about his murder so he could make money off of it. Not so much an Arc but a "former sketch that is having ongoing consequences". The documentary was it's own sketch that they call back to sometimes with this narrative, and it's never more than a few seconds long, nowhere near Linkara levels of garbage)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:36 on May 4, 2017

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Goons pretty much collectively hate everything except Futurama and dogs. It's probably best if you try to ignore it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hence the conflicted bitching about an episode where a dog dies.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
When someone posts "DING DING DING"
Oh great, the leading authority on the issue has finally arrived to pick the correct opinion to settle this discussion. It's forums poster "Goblin Dick".

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Inzombiac posted:

This is a pedant's argument which annoys me as much as "sportsball" and stuff. Fans are a way bigger part of a sports club or team than individual players are -fans show up when the team is shite and playing away in the rain at 7pm on a Tuesday, fans pay the money for tickets to games and watch on TV and buy the merchandise, and generally they stick with the club much longer than any individual player. Not to mention that plenty of fans are members of the club, or even owners if there's a supporters' trust or something in place. It's absolutely "we."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's dumb to have that kind of loyalty to a team when they don't care about you whatsoever or the city they play in. Teams are happy to leave and go to Utah or whatever at a moment's notice. Team names changing from city to the corporate sponsor is inevitable. I can't wait for the Comcast Rams to beat the Time-Warner Bengals.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Corrode posted:

This is a pedant's argument which annoys me as much as "sportsball" and stuff. Fans are a way bigger part of a sports club or team than individual players are -fans show up when the team is shite and playing away in the rain at 7pm on a Tuesday, fans pay the money for tickets to games and watch on TV and buy the merchandise, and generally they stick with the club much longer than any individual player. Not to mention that plenty of fans are members of the club, or even owners if there's a supporters' trust or something in place. It's absolutely "we."
Why is it only sports then? Movie fans wait in the rain for midnight releases, show up when a sequel is shite, pay money for tickets and merchandise, and generally stick with movie series longer than any individual actor or director. They still don't say "we won the oscar" when the movie wins. Sometimes I will go see a band I like in concert even when they haven't made a new album in years and don't have much of a following any more but that doesn't mean I'm delusional enough to think I'm "part of" the band.

(My presumed answer is because is baked-in regionalism and the idea that athletes represent you is a big part of the marketing of sporting events, and playing to local rivalries sells tickets/merchandise/etc. Happy to hear your thoughts though.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS has a new favorite as of 16:49 on May 4, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mu Zeta posted:

It's dumb to have that kind of loyalty to a team when they don't care about you whatsoever or the city they play in. Teams are happy to leave and go to Utah or whatever at a moment's notice. Team names changing from city to the corporate sponsor is inevitable. I can't wait for the Comcast Rams to beat the Time-Warner Bengals.

This is only really true in professional American sports, and it's because of the way the leagues are set up. Franchising means American professional leagues have heavily restricted access to new entrants, which massively increases owner power. There's also far fewer teams than there are viable places for teams to exist, so a franchise owner can reasonably threaten to move the team to another city (e.g. to bully local authorities into providing funding for new stadiums). It's far less common outside of that context - American college or high school sports are closer in spirit to what English football or rugby are like, although still not exactly the same because they're obviously tied to schools/colleges and don't exist independently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Why is it only sports then? Movie fans wait in the rain for midnight releases, show up when a sequel is shite, pay money for tickets and merchandise, and generally stick with movie series longer than any individual actor or director. They still don't say "we won the oscar" when the movie wins. Sometimes I will go see a band I like in concert even when they haven't made a new album in years and don't have much of a following any more but that doesn't mean I'm delusional enough to think I'm "part of" the band.

(My presumed answer is because is baked-in regionalism and the idea that athletes represent you is a big part of the marketing of sporting events, and playing to local rivalries sells tickets/merchandise/etc. Happy to hear your thoughts though.)

My answer is going to be bound up in a lot of assumptions about English club football, so they might not be generally applicable although I think there's plenty of other parts of the world where the same things hold true.

I think the fundamental difference between sports clubs and "media," to use a very broad-brush term, is that the former are permanent institutions and the latter tend to be products/individual artworks depending on point of view. My football club has existed since the 19th century, it has more continuous history than a large number of countries. Let's say that like me you grow up from age 4 as a supporter - over the span of your life it's likely that you'll see hundreds of players pass through, and thousands of other staff you never know exist. The only common linkage is the club. If a band changed the singer, then the guitarist, then the drummer, and so on until none of the original members are left, there's a good question over whether the band still exists. Bands that do try and carry on despite changing a lot (the Sugababes and All Saints come to mind) usually get dismissed as being fake or end up as jokes, whereas no-one would say Manchester United weren't the same club because there's different players now than there were 10 years ago. Also, as I said before, fans are often paid-up members or actual owners of the club, which is an unlikely position for a film unless you're a shareholder in Disney or something (or a producer I guess).

I'd also say that movies or a new album or whatever are "events" in a way that sports are not. If a film is massively commercially successful it might get a sequel every 2-3 years. People will turn out to see it, some of them more than once, and maybe buy the Blu-Ray and re-watch it, but apart from very small children or severe autists it'd be pretty unusual for someone to watch the same film every Saturday, for years on end. That's normal behaviour for sports, which have a much more continuous existence.

A lot of it is just "because." One of the big issues in English football right now is wealthy individuals or investment groups buying clubs and then loving them up in some way. A lot of these people view the club the same way as any other asset they've bought - they exchanged money for it therefore it's their property. This is true in a technical sense but not true in the real world where fans have very proprietary feelings about their clubs. I don't think the same would be true of a film franchise - like no-one who was well into Marvel films is going to feel like Disney buying them means they don't "own" it any more. On the other hand, lots of gamers are pretty proprietary about the games they're fans of - when CA recently announced the second Total War: Warhammer, there were people all over their Facebook going on about how they were abandoning their "real fans" who were "owed" what they wanted i.e. a new historical game. Fandoms in general are trying to recreate that same feeling of belonging that sports teams take for granted, and you can see this in marketing like in Facebook ads for ONLY REAL STAR WARS FANS or whatever.

I guess all of the above is another way to say "yes, it's tribalism and it's true because we feel it is." On the other hand, people like the op are almost always sneering nerds who're determined to "well actually" to invalidate how people feel and I don't think that's better.

Out of curiosity - for people who feel like it's inappropriate to say "we" about a sports team, is there anything bigger than yourself that you do feel like you belong to? Your church, your political party, your university or company?

Living Image has a new favorite as of 20:33 on May 4, 2017

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Corrode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I love this sketch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Corrode posted:

That argument doesn't hold up in an environment where the sports fan is talking to people who don't follow sports.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Inzombiac posted:

That argument doesn't hold up in an environment where the sports fan is talking to people who don't follow sports.

It means "we" the collective group of fans, not "we" the people in the conversation. If I was telling my friend about a game my team was involved in I would say "we won" or "we lost" and that would not include him because he was not there and is not a fan of the team. Was this actually not something you understood before?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

What is it with sports people being so sensitive when they discover people don't like sports or have some minor criticism of it, like dam I don't care for sports but I get to hear it take over the news radio 15 mins every hour, it takes up time on the news on the tv and millions in public money goes to it but I just shrug and move on, somebody has a minor rant online about being sick of hearing about sports and it's a flurry of people complaining about hearing their sport called handegg.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It has nothing to do with people not liking sports and everything to do with people being insufferable dorks about it. It's the hurf durf sportsball bullshit, the "don't say 'we' if you're not actually on the team" nerdsplaining, the "why would you want to watch someone else play a game" disingenuous garbage. Because it's entertaining to watch people do something that they're good at!

Disclaimer: I'm not a butthurt sports fan, I'm actually a giant nerd who plays Overwatch but the whole nerd circlejerk thing of making a huge show of how much you don't care about sports is obnoxious and fits into this thread. I don't give a poo poo if you don't enjoy the same hobbies as someone else, just don't be a loving jackass about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: :gas:

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It has nothing to do with people not liking sports and everything to do with people being insufferable dorks about it. It's the hurf durf sportsball bullshit, the "don't say 'we' if you're not actually on the team" nerdsplaining, the "why would you want to watch someone else play a game" disingenuous garbage. Because it's entertaining to watch people do something that they're good at!

Disclaimer: I'm not a butthurt sports fan, I'm actually a giant nerd who plays Overwatch but the whole nerd circlejerk thing of making a huge show of how much you don't care about sports is obnoxious and fits into this thread. I don't give a poo poo if you don't enjoy the same hobbies as someone else, just don't be a loving jackass about it.

Yea I agree with you on that, the mitchell and webb skit is pretty funny but if you get upset over that in real life it's taking things slightly too far.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Basically this:

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

A 30 year-old comfortable with wasting a couple of hours a week on casual solo gaming to unwind - and who doesn't perceive the blinding allure of another console, isn't the problem here friend. He's probably past wanting to get sucked into your vortex of mario kart XVIII, or whatever ground-breaking poo poo these games deliver for 10 year-olds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also inviting someone over just so you can play one specific game you want to play is something only a complete dork would do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tarantula posted:

Yea I agree with you on that, the mitchell and webb skit is pretty funny but if you get upset over that in real life it's taking things slightly too far.

Even the sketch makes it clear that sportsballers are insufferable dicks - they don't bother trying to make him seem reasonable at first, they just launch straight into full-bore David Mitchell ranting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Even the sketch makes it clear that sportsballers are insufferable dicks - they don't bother trying to make him seem reasonable at first, they just launch straight into full-bore David Mitchell ranting.

lol the first time around I clicked and saw the title and who it was and thought it was the other Mitchel & Webb football sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
OLTTPDTMYUA: People who leave all their poo poo lying around in the hallway or somewhere where everyone else has to step over it or go the long way around, and every time you step over it they apologise. Don't loving keep saying sorry, if you were actually genuinely penitent you would have moved your poo poo the first time you realised it was inconveniencing others. :argh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm always really, really disappointed when someone won't watch [x] movie because it's subtitled. Hot drat, what a way to exclude some excellent films.

And on the subject of not being able to get anyone to see it because of an actor, I recently realized none of my friends have seen or are willing to see Raising Arizona because Cage is a meme at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The coen brothers made him work before it was cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I'm always really, really disappointed when someone won't watch [x] movie because it's subtitled. Hot drat, what a way to exclude some excellent films.

And on the subject of not being able to get anyone to see it because of an actor, I recently realized none of my friends have seen or are willing to see Raising Arizona because Cage is a meme at this point.

Sub-titles are literally the best because you can eat loud snacks and still follow the dialogue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

There's two distinct things here though. "Sportsball" is just "I don't like or understand this therefore it's dumb". The "we" thing is separate. I get liking sports. I get liking particular athletes (or combinations of athletes). I even get wanting your own country's team to win (although I think it's dumb for different reasons). But if you follow a sport like football (any version as long as its within a single country) and you stick with a single team because you think of that team as a distinct thing unto itself that persists across time, you're a loving idiot. The Bombers or the Patriots or Arsenal are just brands. You may as well be cheering for Unilever or Hewlett-Packard. And if you associate yourself so closely with a brand that you feel like you've achieved something when the athletes they sponsor do well (regardless of who those athletes currently are)... what the gently caress?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sub-titles are literally the best because you can eat loud snacks and still follow the dialogue.
Also if you're at my parents house and trying to watch something on their godawful lovely television you can actually follow the dialogue without turning the volume up way too loud.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

My city has branded itself over the last few years after its airport code for literally everything. Every hashtag pertaining to the city has the code in it. Every festival or event is named after it now. Businesses are naming themselves with the code. It's got to be even more pervasive than LAX at this point. The city is practically being renamed. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be on the greeting signs on the city boundaries.

Here are a few examples:

I'm 3 hours north in Edmonton and our city code - YEG - sounds like something you would say if you got sewage in your mouth, or a deviant sex act. But god drat if it's not everywhere too. YEGFest, YEGReads, YEGEats, YEGDeals. It's obnoxious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I'm mixed on this. I went to University of Tennessee and played a sport there, and when watching the football/basketball/baseball (lol like that's ever on TV)/whatever team, I say "we" won/lost, etc. I grew up in Tampa and am a huge Bucs fan, but when referring to them I say "they" won/lost. Same with the Braves, except I just grew up a fan, not in Atlanta.

I'd really like your approval on this before I continue doing it.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The one thing worse than sportsball arseholes are single-sports warriors. Most of my friends are football fans, but one guy is a rugby fan and will gatecrash any conversation about football to tell us how much better and more manly rugby is and how he, by extension, is better as manlier for watching rugby and not football, which is bad and not manly at all.

We are in a large group, there are people here you can talk to about stuff that isn't football. Shut the gently caress up.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Tiggum posted:

There's two distinct things here though. "Sportsball" is just "I don't like or understand this therefore it's dumb". The "we" thing is separate. I get liking sports. I get liking particular athletes (or combinations of athletes). I even get wanting your own country's team to win (although I think it's dumb for different reasons). But if you follow a sport like football (any version as long as its within a single country) and you stick with a single team because you think of that team as a distinct thing unto itself that persists across time, you're a loving idiot. The Bombers or the Patriots or Arsenal are just brands. You may as well be cheering for Unilever or Hewlett-Packard. And if you associate yourself so closely with a brand that you feel like you've achieved something when the athletes they sponsor do well (regardless of who those athletes currently are)... what the gently caress?

Also if you're at my parents house and trying to watch something on their godawful lovely television you can actually follow the dialogue without turning the volume up way too loud.

Whenever the Olympics are on, most people refer to the "Countries" as "us" or "we". People like to represent their Cities just as much as their Countries. Team USA or Team GB are just as much, or even moreso brands than any other sports league team especially with the branding and hype building up inbetween events.

With the "Sportsball talk" thats also a good point because I don't think that the majority of people watching the Olympics know what the gently caress is going on most of the time, but they'll still jump at the opportunity to exclaim their Country is best at X sport the first chance they get

Unless you're referring to Glory hunters that just pick *team* from *sport* just because they win all the time or they like the colour of their shirts, then yeah gently caress those guys.

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 20:41 on May 5, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Following teams that consistently display mastery of their discipline is a lot more appealing to me than following teams because their corporate headquarters is in my region.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm mixed on this. I went to University of Tennessee and played a sport there, and when watching the football/basketball/baseball (lol like that's ever on TV)/whatever team, I say "we" won/lost, etc. I grew up in Tampa and am a huge Bucs fan, but when referring to them I say "they" won/lost. Same with the Braves, except I just grew up a fan, not in Atlanta.

I'd really like your approval on this before I continue doing it.

I give a pass to people that actually played on that team, even if it was a while ago.
My dad played for his college baseball team and watches them on TV sometimes. He refers to them as "we" sometimes and it's less annoying because he was on that team for four years.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Oh hey someone posted an image.

I'M THE GUY IN THE HAT

I'M THE FAT GUY

I'M THE BOOKS ON THE SHELF

I'M THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR

I'M THsdgdfhsdhasdqdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Following teams that consistently display mastery of their discipline is a lot more appealing to me than following teams because their corporate headquarters is in my region.

Thats cool too but I like thing.

Obnoxious - Americans that proudly latch onto heritage that has literally nothing to do with them like the "Irish and Scottish" . Even worse are the ones that claim 25% French, 25% Italian etc and can barely speak English. No. You're American and your EU "family" doesn't want you anywhere near them.

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 22:47 on May 5, 2017

• Locked thread