Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Uh-huh. Good luck with that.

An example of a power that would be completely impracticable and unable to be implemented, but will probably waste a good billion pound worth of public spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

spectralent posted:

Brian Cox, Prime Minister would be something to see. I have no idea what his policies are but it'd be nice to have someone not completely scientifically illiterate running things for a change.
I was going to say that this is as bad as the idea that Mark Zuckerberg would make a good President, but theres such a lack of any kind of competence in British politics that at this point I'm pretty sure that a just about anyone could do the job as well as May or any other MP for that matter.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Probably going to be having fewer MPs than at any point since 1935.

The whole 'woe is me, Corbyn failed, I wish I'd voted for Yvette Cooper' bit is a perfect example of why the left never gets anywhere. Corbyn was always unlikely to push through to a shock victory, his job was to change the direction of Labour. And if the polls are to be believed he's actually getting similar numbers of votes to Ed Milliband but is on track to do much worse because of UKIP being totally absorbed by the Tories. I can't really think of an electoral strategy that would have prevented that.

Once the GE is out of the way the next battle will become who leads the Labour party next. If you give your vote to someone like Cooper, or if you fail to vote, you can kiss goodbye to the 'one member one vote' scheme and democracy within the party will die forever. Is that what you want to happen?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

ukle posted:

Better article on this on the reg :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/uk_bulk_surveillance_powers_draft/

If it goes through it would stop almost all significant mobile app development happening in the UK, and could well result in some big names moving various software development out of the UK. Unfortunately it will go through as Glorious Leader has been wanting it for years.
I don't quite understand the leap to saying it makes end-to-end encryption by messaging apps (and e.g. VPNs) illegal.

The document says that it applies to telecommunications operators (i.e. ISPs and the phone network providers), and obliges them to provide the means to:
to remove any electronic protection applied by or on behalf of the telecommunications operator to the data.

I'm not clear whether the encryption provided by e.g. WhatsApp falls under this category - WhatsApp (which I presume doesn't count as a "telecoms operator") doesn't have a relation with the telecoms operator, and its encryption is not provided "on their behalf". Further, even if it does fall within the "on behalf of" category, I can't see how the telecoms operators could even implement the obligation unless they end up obliged to install spyware on the phones themselves that read the messages before they are encrypted? Similarly, the encryption provided by a commercial VPN company is not done "on behalf of the telecoms operator", and how do you oblige e.g. a foreign company?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

spectralent posted:

Brian Cox, Prime Minister would be something to see. I have no idea what his policies are but it'd be nice to have someone not completely scientifically illiterate running things for a change.
He'd replace PMQs with everyone sitting round a campfire in some remote desert staring wistfully into space

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm going to say it lads.

The next parliamentary election result will really suck.

A very hot take I know.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not sure what all the high emotion is for - last night's result has been on the cards for months.

This is the natural consequence of having Jeremy Corbyn as leader. People do not want to vote for a party lead by him.

June will be even worse.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ewan posted:

I don't quite understand the leap to saying it makes end-to-end encryption by messaging apps (and e.g. VPNs) illegal.

The document says that it applies to telecommunications operators (i.e. ISPs and the phone network providers), and obliges them to provide the means to:
to remove any electronic protection applied by or on behalf of the telecommunications operator to the data.

I'm not clear whether the encryption provided by e.g. WhatsApp falls under this category - WhatsApp (which I presume doesn't count as a "telecoms operator") doesn't have a relation with the telecoms operator, and its encryption is not provided "on their behalf". Further, even if it does fall within the "on behalf of" category, I can't see how the telecoms operators could even implement the obligation unless they end up obliged to install spyware on the phones themselves that read the messages before they are encrypted? Similarly, the encryption provided by a commercial VPN company is not done "on behalf of the telecoms operator", and how do you oblige e.g. a foreign company?
It says " including" ISPs and telcos, not just them. Later on it talks about communications "platforms", which would include WhatsApp etc.

It also says:

quote:

"provide and maintain the capability to disclose, where practicable, the content of communications or secondary data in an intelligible form and to remove electronic protection applied by or on behalf of the telecommunications operator to the communications or data."
" where practicable " seems like a possible get-out clause...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WMain00 posted:

An example of a power that would be completely impracticable and unable to be implemented, but will probably waste a good billion pound worth of public spending.
And therefore is almost certainly going to be passed as law, implemented in as shoddy a way as possible, and the arrest of a man with a beard for carrying a grapefruit spoon within a mile of Westminster while having some unencrypted text messages complaining about the government will be trumpeted as a resounding achievement for the act, before it is quietly forgotten by everyone except the IT contractors whose pockets it lined.

Millions for spies, but not one penny for scroungers.

Zephro posted:

He'd replace PMQs with everyone sitting round a campfire in some remote desert staring wistfully into space
I'd vote for that as long as they stayed there.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

Except this suggestion is written by people who know less than nothing about the technology, so it's just going to end up like that 'draw a red line' skit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

HJB posted:

That's May for you. I prefer this one:

God she looks prime-ministerial.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Seems like a good showing for Labour in Bristol though, someone earlier said that the Tories were winning there which was a bit :wtf:. If the Tories could win in Bristol they probably could most places.

E: Oh wait gently caress I went on local Twitter and they did win. What the hell you Bristol folks

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 5, 2017

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Ewan posted:

The definitions are here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/25/section/261/enacted

A 'telecommunications operator' is defined as somebody who "offers or provides a telecommunications service to persons in the United Kingdom". And a "Telecommunications service" is defined as "any service that consists in the provision of access to, and of facilities for making use of, any telecommunication system". And a "Telecommunication system" is defined as "a system that exists for the purpose of facilitating the transmission of communications by any means involving the use of electrical or electromagnetic energy".

I guess this rules out using homing pigeons

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Private Speech posted:

I'm going to say it lads.

The next parliamentary election result will really suck.

A very hot take I know.

I think the big difference will be turnout - people usually get out in bigger numbers for the GE which is good for Labour & the Lib Dems compared to the current round of locals.

Unfortunately that's going to be an uphill battle considering that the Tories are energised while the left and the liberals are feeling pretty demoralised. Going to be very interesting to see what both parties can do with their record memberships and whether that can actually get people out to vote for the GE.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

The whole 'woe is me, Corbyn failed, I wish I'd voted for Yvette Cooper' bit is a perfect example of why the left never gets anywhere.

gently caress off you disingenuous oval office, no where have I said I wished I voted for Yvette Cooper.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mike_Blackley/status/860436199634333696

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

give these people a darwin award

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

They'll always run into the fundamental problem that a magic government–only backdoor into encryption just isn't possible. I assume we'll eventually end up in a situation similar to the PSA, where they implement a total ban on encryption of any kind but then grudgingly allow exceptions for approved banks and online shops. I'm already excited to see somebody in court for having a misconfigured router sending garbled data that the Daily Mail claims could be CUNNING TERRORIST CODES

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

Seems like a good showing for Labour in Bristol though, someone earlier said that the Tories were winning there which was a bit :wtf:. If the Tories could win in Bristol South they probably could most places.
The Tories won the West of England metro mayoralty (which covers Bristol), with Labour coming second and the Lib Dems third. I don't think there were any other council elections in Bristol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dispatch_async posted:

The definitions are here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/25/section/261/enacted

A 'telecommunications operator' is defined as somebody who "offers or provides a telecommunications service to persons in the United Kingdom". And a "Telecommunications service" is defined as "any service that consists in the provision of access to, and of facilities for making use of, any telecommunication system". And a "Telecommunication system" is defined as "a system that exists for the purpose of facilitating the transmission of communications by any means involving the use of electrical or electromagnetic energy".

I guess this rules out using homing pigeons
Don't forget 'data' includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic).

I imagine their definition of 'barber' is part of the reason that all of them have huge hipster beards now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Tories won the West of England metro mayoralty (which covers Bristol), with Labour coming second and the Lib Dems third. I don't think there were any other council elections in Bristol.

Yeah that's the one I meant. I know the rural parts are conservative, but still

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 5, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there a breakdown of vote share as a percentage?

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure what all the high emotion is for - last night's result has been on the cards for months.

This is the natural consequence of having Jeremy Corbyn as leader. People do not want to vote for a party lead by him.

June will be even worse.

I understand your need to repeat "I told you so" ad nauseum. Can you just assume we have all heard it as many time as you think we should, and move onto, maybe a different topic?

It's just you seem like some sort of twitter spambot who has three stock phrases that are put into a Markov bot and repeat back anytime anyone speaks about politics ever. And the thread was infinitely more readable during your 48hour probation, as every topic didn't get steered by yourself into "CORBYNBAD".

FFS give it a rest. We know things are poo poo already.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the big difference will be turnout - people usually get out in bigger numbers for the GE which is good for Labour & the Lib Dems compared to the current round of locals.

Unfortunately that's going to be an uphill battle considering that the Tories are energised while the left and the liberals are feeling pretty demoralised. Going to be very interesting to see what both parties can do with their record memberships and whether that can actually get people out to vote for the GE.

YouGov's historical analysis is that if similar local-into-general election periods are an indication, June will be much worse than today.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

June will be even worse.

You're gloating over electoral outcomes that are going to cause people to die. gently caress off.

Or do you really think local government shifts like this are just like a different sports team winning a game?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

StoicFnord posted:

I understand your need to repeat "I told you so" ad nauseum. Can you just assume we have all heard it as many time as you think we should, and move onto, maybe a different topic?

It's just you seem like some sort of twitter spambot who has three stock phrases that are put into a Markov bot and repeat back anytime anyone speaks about politics ever. And the thread was infinitely more readable during your 48hour probation, as every topic didn't get steered by yourself into "CORBYNBAD".

FFS give it a rest. We know things are poo poo already.

lol you want to 'move on' from the election results haven't even finished being counted?

But yes, I was right about Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

You're gloating over electoral outcomes that are going to cause people to die. gently caress off.

Or do you really think local government shifts like this are just like a different sports team winning a game?

People who support Corbyn are causing people to die because they're taking away the centre left alternative to the Tory party.

This is your fault.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That's wild. Wonder how many seats they pick up on Glasgow City Council. They had just the one until yesterday.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

Yeah that's the one I meant. I know the rural parts are conservative, but still

I'm emotionally invested I went to uni there
The Conservative candidate explicitly pitched himself to rural voters, saying they needed a counterbalance to the Labour mayor of Bristol to ensure that Bristol didn't receive all the goodies while the rural parts of the region were ignored.

Pissflaps posted:

Is there a breakdown of vote share as a percentage?
For the West of England mayoralty or across the elections? There won't be one for the elections as a whole because the full results aren't yet in.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Tories seem to be picking up apathetic or changed votes from Labours demise, particularly in heartlands of Labour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

People who support Corbyn are causing people to die because they're taking away the centre left alternative to the Tory party.

This is your fault.

The other three candidates in the leadership contest supported austerity policies and welfare cuts that almost drove my brother to suicide. This isn't about ideological purity, this is about basic survival.

Again, gently caress off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress off you disingenuous oval office, no where have I said I wished I voted for Yvette Cooper.

forkboy84 posted:

I voted for Corbyn on the basis that he'd reform the Labour Party to ensure the membership have a bigger say. He's not delivered. Not sure how long we can afford to wait and see if he'll finally get round to it.

Yvette Cooper would have been a poor leader who'd refuse to tackle the Tories but we'd not be set for annual leadership elections and Labour wouldn't have a leader with next to no PLP support. Which is a thing that matters unfortunately.

Sorry, you implied it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMain00 posted:

The Tories seem to be picking up apathetic or changed votes from Labours demise, particularly in heartlands of Labour.

In Scotland it's slightly different. They are picking up votes from concerned union supporters, as the Tories have essentially set themselves out as the Union Party, a position Labour used to own for themselves. But Scottish Labour have been in disarray for at least a decade. It's complicated to go into the reasons why, it's not solely about the independence debate.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

That's wild. Wonder how many seats they pick up on Glasgow City Council. They had just the one until yesterday.

how many balustrades are there in the council building, who knows they may finally achieve a 1:1 balustrade/dickhead with a flag ratio

e: oh no i had a look on google, there's like thirty of the fuckers, the council flag wars will not be won yet

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

This is your fault.

This is the stupidest thing you've ever written.

E: In this thread.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Sorry, you implied it.

No I didn't. I'd never vote for Yvette Cooper.

I don't know how many more times I need to say "extra-parliamentary route to socialism" in this thread before you & the fellow Corbyn fanatics (but mainly you in fairness) stop painting everyone who thinks Corbyn has done a poo poo job as wanting Labour to support a centrist party.

Angepain posted:

how many balustrades are there in the council building, who knows they may finally achieve a 1:1 balustrade/dickhead with a flag ratio

e: oh no i had a look on google, there's like thirty of the fuckers, the council flag wars will not be won yet

Recently found out he's married to dodgy Nat Natalie McGarry.

Also, he's a total penis.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

In Scotland it's slightly different. They are picking up votes from concerned union supporters, as the Tories have essentially set themselves out as the Union Party, a position Labour used to own for themselves. But Scottish Labour have been in disarray for at least a decade. It's complicated to go into the reasons why, it's not solely about the independence debate.

True and it's not helped that council based voting in Scotland has always been very complicated.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

This is your fault.

Go feed somewhere else Tory dickhead.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

No I didn't. I'd never vote for Yvette Cooper.

I don't know how many more times I need to say "extra-parliamentary route to socialism" in this thread before you & the fellow Corbyn fanatics (but mainly you in fairness) stop painting everyone who thinks Corbyn has done a poo poo job as wanting Labour to support a centrist party.

What are you doing to help make an extra-parlimentary route to socialism happen any time soon? If it seemed like a realistic prospect I'd love to get involved.

In the meantime if you don't want to be considered as someone who'd prefer Yvette Cooper in charge maybe you shouldn't post stuff about how at least Yvette Cooper would have the support of the PLP? Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

This is the stupidest thing you've ever written.

E: In this thread.

It's a fact.

Corbyn guarantees Tory electoral success.

• Locked thread