Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I am 100% convinced, based on this thread because I don't actually watch their stuff anymore, that they have spent the last 5 months doing nothing but working on a cafeteria scene. I hope somebody does a supercut some day of the like dozen hours of footage they have of developers and artists describing the intense levels of effort people have put into getting this weak-rear end shot of spacemen eating some food, instead of doing anything remotely related to flying or fighting. At this point half of SQ42 better take place around the god drat lunch table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

The British equivalent was a Kirby; stainless steel motherfucker. They'd come out and demonstrate how dirty your poo poo is after you'd run the old electrolux over things by using filter paper in the lower trap.

Incredibly well-made to the extent where a family bought one and handed it around, obviating the need to buy any more. Later versions tended towards poo poo as the company concentrated more on sales than quality.

Similar arc for Dyson now.

Has he looked on the returns from gold?

Have 2 Kirby's from the 1970's as my parents bought one for themselves and my grandparents. Ended up with both and they still work and still do a better job of cleaning the carpet than any of the newer vacuums I've tried.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
All this talk of vacuums and home products; I really feel we've been domesticated. When do we all move in together, thread?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I rather enjoy Star Trek Online, apart from some of the ground combat, so I was curious if Derek had actually been in touch with them. It was easy to find out via the 2nd result of a simple Google search...
It seems he had, though this was long before Cryptic took over the development, as far as I can tell. He did not sound particularly bitter or anything, however.

Phraccy posted:

He absolutely is! Headshoting TheGremlich with rhetoric bullets of truth!

You make it sound as though this is one of those weird Dangan Ronpa trials and OldSchoolCmdr is trying to find out who murdered Star Citizen...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to half a dozen articles in 2020 where people deduce Derek killed Star Citizen, also a jukebox

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bofast posted:

I rather enjoy Star Trek Online, apart from some of the ground combat, so I was curious if Derek had actually been in touch with them. It was easy to find out via the 2nd result of a simple Google search...
It seems he had, though this was long before Cryptic took over the development, as far as I can tell. He did not sound particularly bitter or anything, however.

First line of the link : "This comes as no surprise. I predicted this back in 2004. So color me shocked." Yes that's really Dr. Smart or his alt.

Phraccy
Apr 28, 2017

Bofast posted:

You make it sound as though this is one of those weird Dangan Ronpa trials and OldSchoolCmdr is trying to find out who murdered Star Citizen...

So your saying Star Citizen is still alive and kicking? ;)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Xian is a region in china. Their culture is eastern themed and they are literally slanty eyed.

:shrug: I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't see anything problematic.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:branton:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
10 bug reports in last 17 hours.

2 of them :-

STANDS UP IN PILOT CHAIR AND AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING

ACTUAL RESULT
I flew into SPK with my Avenger Stalker and attempted to do a high speed buzz over the pads. I got over the pads (pad 6 maybe) and started a strafe maneuver. once I started strafing my ship went into a spin and I was dead stick. No inputs worked and it seemed as if I was ejected out of the ship and was currently EVAing. So I hit f4 to check the cameras of what was happening.

CO PILOT 85X GET'S STUCK

ACTUAL RESULT
Result: the co pilot is standing upright in his seat, being unable to do anything. The update on where the ship is, from the server stops updating for the client, but the rest of the server updates as normal.

EXPECTED RESULT
When the co pilot press "F" to get out, the animation should play, resulting in the co pilot getting out of the ship.

Seems to be a new bug with the flawed attachment system that or an old bug that a change has made a lot more common.

Got to hand it to CIG though, closing the forums has really killed interest in people actually talking playing this mess.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
3.0 will NOT be delayed as CIG has no history of delaying any of their releases. btw im not a gullible retard like the naysayers of this project

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

10 bug reports in last 17 hours.

2 of them :-

STANDS UP IN PILOT CHAIR AND AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING

ACTUAL RESULT
I flew into SPK with my Avenger Stalker and attempted to do a high speed buzz over the pads. I got over the pads (pad 6 maybe) and started a strafe maneuver. once I started strafing my ship went into a spin and I was dead stick. No inputs worked and it seemed as if I was ejected out of the ship and was currently EVAing. So I hit f4 to check the cameras of what was happening.

CO PILOT 85X GET'S STUCK

ACTUAL RESULT
Result: the co pilot is standing upright in his seat, being unable to do anything. The update on where the ship is, from the server stops updating for the client, but the rest of the server updates as normal.

EXPECTED RESULT
When the co pilot press "F" to get out, the animation should play, resulting in the co pilot getting out of the ship.

Seems to be a new bug with the flawed attachment system that or an old bug that a change has made a lot more common.

Got to hand it to CIG though, closing the forums has really killed interest in people actually talking playing this mess.

• T-pose refactored into t-pose

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I only see this one particular space station with the rings.
How many are there now?

This must be becoming really boring even for the fanatic SC player. (they don't exist as there is no game).

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Can someone CC this to all the CIG bigwigs (no pun intended):

http://museumoffailure.se/

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Can someone CC this to all the CIG bigwigs (no pun intended):

http://museumoffailure.se/

Done. If you want their responses, please use my ashes of creation referal code crypted in my nickname. Ashes of creation is the new embodiment of the MMO genre that will revolutionize the video games and beyond, created and supported by the most respected veterans of video games excluding Dr. Smart.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Orions Lord posted:

How many are there now?

This must be becoming really boring even for the fanatic SC player. (they don't exist as there is no game).

Size of SC is probably the same as Goldshire (starting area in WoW) given that however many million KMs is an arbitrary number because...

a) there are zero random encounters between A / B points.
b) all "mission" zones are not dynamic / scripted
c) you can "teleport" / quantum drive? to these locations relatively quickly, making the distance marketing sound really stupid.
d) you can complete all the missions in one sitting.

Phraccy
Apr 28, 2017

Orions Lord posted:

How many are there now?

Richt now ou have Port Olisar, Grim Hex, Kareah and Covalex Station. Only stations you can spawn ships are Olisar and Hex (pirate station).
Random encounters are pirate spawns at comm stations or during the ICC missions which re straight forward as of now.

You can have some fun with becoming a pirate and fighting other players trying to collect your bounty but as soon as the server is half full (12 people) it gets a test in patience and anger management. dropping FP to sometimes 10-15 frames, hitbox registration problems, inaccurate targeting blibs, invulnerability parts on ships, shield bugs etc. etc. yeah .. fun NOT

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

no_recall posted:

Size of SC is probably the same as Goldshire (starting area in WoW) given that however many million KMs is an arbitrary number because...

a) there are zero random encounters between A / B points.
b) all "mission" zones are not dynamic / scripted
c) you can "teleport" / quantum drive? to these locations relatively quickly, making the distance marketing sound really stupid.
d) you can complete all the missions in one sitting.

…and most importantly, and just to highlight the sheer incompetence and ignorance of something as basic as dimensions in whatever uneducated brainless jughead wrote that bit of PR:

Z) it's a distance, not an area or a volume.

This means it is pretty much useless for measuring size of “space” once you get outside the realm of quantum indeterminacy. The 100 sextillion km (1.0×1026 m) number they brag about on their front page is many orders of magnitude less than what I can fit in my bathroom.

To wit, the hole in the wall I'm referring to is a 1.8×3.5×2.5m (≈16m³) volume. The floor, walls, and ceiling amount to 2×(1.8×3.5 + 1.8×2.5 + 2.5×3.5) ≈ 39m². One Planck length (ℓP) is about 1.6×10-35m. Just looking at those exponents alone should tell you where I'm going with this… but let's do it anyway.

Say that I take the surfaces of my bathroom, subtract a m² or two for the hole for the door, and slice it up into 100ℓP-wide strips — that's wide enough to be measured with some certainty and not being in risk of actually not existing at all. So we divide the surface (3.7×101m²) by the strip width (1.6×10-33m) and get a total length of strip of 2.3×1034m — or 23 nonillion kilometres. Just looking at the surfaces that enclose my little bathroom, we have a 100,000,000 times larger distance than what the blockheads at CIG tout for their “massive” universe, and we haven't even begun to look at the actual volume contained within those four walls. Suffice to say that if we did that, we'd run up against the limit of wikipedia's list of names of large numbers.

They picked an arbitrary number, and due to putting an idiot in charge of the whole thing, that arbitrary number, rather than being impressively large, became very very very very very pathetically small.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 5, 2017

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I'll take your word for it.

Also downgrades:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

This is like watching a train-wreck in slo-mo, then you pause every few mins to see if you still missed anything.

These guys are completely outmatched and they have no clue how to respond to him. This is how bullies behave. Once you confront and take them to task, you find out they're just scared, cowardly bitches.

I have to go check his latest posts today to see all who he has tangled in knots. Did obey_the_fist get his turn yet? I know ABH, messi_knessi, TheGremlich and one or two other dudes who weren't on my radar. Someone should make a list and go tell them on /r/DS that their pals are being eviscerated in /r/starcitizen. Though I believe they already know, but are to scared to engage him because he's just going to burn their usernames.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is this oldsclcommander person just another of your reverse inverse uber l337 trolls Uncle D ?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bofast posted:

"it seems he had"

quote:

"I was so excited at the prospects of a good Star Trek game and MMO, that I was rooting for the n00bs, thinking that they hadn't already dipped in the poison well. To the extent that I contacted them in 2004 and offered my consulting (since I had my own games and have no intentions of working for anyone, ever) assistance as well as my seamless space/planetary tech which they could build from. That went nowhere. The rest is history." - 2008

Yeah, I remember that. Actually I met up with two of them at E3 back in 2004 and we had a chat about the direction they were taking. I told them I couldn't work as part of a team because I don't want to work for anyone in that capacity, and I was already working on Universal Combat which came out that same year (2004). It was really just chatting with industry peers and saying "well if you guys need some thoughts and ideas, let me know". I recall that I was trying (for the third time I think) to get the Freespace license in order to do an FS3 after Universal Combat. I ended up doing All Aspect Warfare & Angle Of Attack instead, both of which released in 2009.

This is what messi_knessi stated, which made his statement false. Pretty much the same sort of thing TheGremlich did and just got razed for it. This is probably why OldSchoolGamer didn't even reference it because it doesn't at all fit the description of what messi_knessi was saying.

quote:

I wonder what triggered derek to jump onto the backs of this kickstarter project ... I'm guessing he might have applied for a job or as he calls it "offered his services" and got rejected. Or maybe he offered something to them and got rejected. Like what happened with Star Trek Online and Battlescape Inffinity, where derek publically turn sour on them (saying they will fail) when he got rejected by them.

Of course we all know what happened with STO before it got taken away, and after.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 5, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RubberJohnny posted:

Also downgrades:

Wait! Are they saying that's Mark in both of those clips? Whoa!!

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

Is this oldsclcommander person just another of your reverse inverse uber l337 trolls Uncle D ?

Nah man, I don't have the patience or moral fortitude to engage those retards beyond a paragraph or two. That's why I wasn't very active on Reddit fighting with them.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

RubberJohnny posted:

Also downgrades:

ho lee poo poo that's bad.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phraccy posted:

So your saying Star Citizen is still alive and kicking? ;)

I would refer you to my blog on this, but legal did not clear it for publication yet. Two weeks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

ho lee poo poo that's bad.
It's even worse in motion.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

"it seems he had"

Yeah, I remember that. Actually I met up with two of them at E3 back in 2004 and we had a chat about the direction they were taking. I told them I couldn't work as part of a team because I don't want to work for anyone in that capacity, and I was already working on Universal Combat which came out that same year (2004). It was really just chatting with industry peers and saying "well if you guys need some thoughts and ideas, let me know". I recall that I was trying (for the third time I think) to get the Freespace license in order to do an FS3 after Universal Combat. I ended up doing All Aspect Warfare & Angle Of Attack instead, both of which released in 2009.

This is what messi_knessi stated, which made his statement false. Pretty much the same sort of thing TheGremlich did and just razed for it. This is probably why OldSchoolGamer didn't even reference it because it doesn't at all fit the description of what messi_knessi was saying.

Of course we all know what happened with STO before it got taken away, and after.

Yes, I think it was quite clear from the post I linked to that you had simply talked to them at some point, nothing came of it and that was it. It was also rather clear that messi_knessi was trying to cast that as something it wasn't.
I just thought it was interesting that you had offered to contribute in some fashion, even if whatever they were making back then was not what ended up as the final product.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bofast posted:

Yes, I think it was quite clear from the post I linked to that you had simply talked to them at some point, nothing came of it and that was it. It was also rather clear that messi_knessi was trying to cast that as something it wasn't.
I just thought it was interesting that you had offered to contribute in some fashion, even if whatever they were making back then was not what ended up as the final product.

Yeah. I am a big Star Trek and Star Wars fan, so an opportunity to work on an MMO with those licenses in some capacity would have been awesome. Of course SWG didn't hit the mark either. Which just goes to show that you can throw as much money and talent at a game as you like, but there's no guarantee of success. Interesting to note that about two years later, I started working on my own MMO :D

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Because it isn't a game :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Or she was worried comic geeks would accuse her of ripping off Dagger (since Cloak and Dagger will be coming out).

Yipe. Second most awkward origin story after Power Pack.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 5, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/791274388914077696

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Space rape post.jpg except with space pedophelia.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Decrepus posted:

Space rape post.jpg except with space pedophelia.

I wonder if we should let them know about Big Ben?

I will point out that the quotes of Ben Lesnick are real.

Check it out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

He's also got an SA account so maybe this is a self own on ourselves?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 5, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

He's also got an SA account so maybe this is a self own on ourselves?

obey-the-fist is also a Goon, so it's a fairly amusing self-own.

Edit:

quote:

There's a lot of Star Citizen backers, 10bux, but only a handful of goons. It's not notable to be a Star Citizen backer. It's very notable to be a goon, considering all the stuff they're associated with, and what they go to jail for. That's why so many goons have to use throwaways like you are now - cowardice, and fear of being found out being a goon. Why are so many goons going to jail?

For a non-throwaway account, he appears to have a somewhat laser focus.

And a hatred for the Tatatae, it would appear. I wonder what Nico is doing these days.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Checking in to confirm I'm not in jail today.

:D

(OTF is a bit weird really isn't he?)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hav posted:

obey-the-fist is also a Goon, so it's a fairly amusing self-own.

Someone bought Ben a Kerri Lee AV. LOL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=51766

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RubberJohnny posted:

Sorry. :ohdear:

My point is simply this: CIG was trying to make their game sound impressive by PR:ing it up with a big number. Only problem is, they don't understand the difference between three things you interact with on a daily basis, and how they the same number applied to each of those things yield very different results.

10m — the distance it takes for Ben to get winded..
10m² — the size blanket you need to cover him up as he recovers, and you don't want to scare off visitors.
10m³ — the volume you need to report to DHL if you want to ship him anywhere out of sight.

So the question is what on earth they actually mean by that number, because none of the options make any sense or end up being all that impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

If someone want to doxx a pedo-defender, I , as a non-mod and non-admin, will permit it.