Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
So far so good. Game is fun. Mimics are bastards that hide in groups that all uncloak and attack you en mass.

The first phantom I ran into dropped a anti-psi grenade, is that random? Seems like a higher-tier item for a time when you don't even have a proper gun yet.

My first death came from wandering too far into the Medical Center and being lit on fire by a perpetually burning upgraded phantom.

Knifegrab posted:

Is it a safe bet to rush necropsy so I can fabricate more neuromods?

Dunno, I haven't found a way to make neuromods yet and the extra lumps you get from the basic enemies are just vendor trash worth 0.05 units of all four materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I found a guy named trevor j young in the talo lobby I's trauma center. He appears to be Mind controlled. I had the keycode and let him out and his Head exploded.

Should I have left him there? Can I keep him alive, and should I?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any weapons in particular stand out as worth upgrading? The shotgun seems like an obvious choice but its also pretty loving woefully bad against a Phantom and flaming Phantom I've run across in Trauma. Seems a shame to waste them if the weapons involved just end up being worthless and I don't have the inventory space for all of it.

e: For that matter, both the stun and GLOO guns seem like they've got promise too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 5, 2017

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Honestly so far the stun on the stun gun seems so long I don't even see a need to upgrade it, I used to to completely clown an enemy that was giving me a lot of trouble, just stunned him to death. I've been dumping my upgrades into shotgun, it seems to kill the poo poo out of everything easily, and sometimes knocks them down for easy wrenching too.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up for anyone buying this for PC in Australia from a real shop, theres no game on this disc. It just has the steam installer thing and then you get to download 18gb on our amazing internet.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Q-beam in hand, I am death incarnate.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

So I found a guy named trevor j young in the talo lobby I's trauma center. He appears to be Mind controlled. I had the keycode and let him out and his Head exploded.

Should I have left him there? Can I keep him alive, and should I?

I don't know but I'm glad I just knocked him out with the stun gun.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I have expected the code for the safe outside the simulation to be 0451 or some derivative thereof.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 5, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Game is good. Like, real good. The music is way less lovely than it was in the demo although still annoying, I turned it down to like 40% which has been nice. No tech issues, running great on a GTX 970.

comatose posted:

Just a heads up for anyone buying this for PC in Australia from a real shop, theres no game on this disc. It just has the steam installer thing and then you get to download 18gb on our amazing internet.

Lmao it's one thing to make you download a day one patch but not even putting the game on it at all? That's some next level poo poo right there. They really have totally given up on retail.

Innerguard posted:

I have expected the code for the safe outside the simulation to be 0451 or some derivative thereof.

Wait for it.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 5, 2017

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Going back to explore earlier areas when you have more skills is completely worth it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Finding Josh Dalton in the GUTS is a pain in the rear end. I've been flying around trying to get to the marker but its not somewhere I can access.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gadzuko posted:

Lmao it's one thing to make you download a day one patch but not even putting the game on it at all? That's some next level poo poo right there. They really have totally given up on retail.

I haven't bought games in a retail store in ages so I'm a little out of touch there; Is the average pc game that is sold on a disk nowadays a bluray disk? Or is it still dvd? Because if it is the latter I wouldn't expect a game like prey to be somehow squeezed into it. Compression can do wonderful things but this goes a little beyond that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game is cool and good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How far is everyone into it? I'm wondering how weird it gets. I knew NOTHING about the game before the demo and now I'm wondering if, the alien invasion had anything to do with the aliens from the first Prey? Do you end up on another alien ship or anything of that nature? Or is it all confined to the Talos?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game has nothing to do with the other Prey.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a long week and I just wanted to relax with my new video game.

Prey is good. Very good. loving great in fact. It's paranoia in video game format.

Every beautifully crafted room is potentially full of things that want to eat me and it's not relaxing at all :ohdear:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm having a crapload of fun in this game, its super detailed. Every office has a person that owns it that seems to be e-mailing another person that also has an office somewhere else, every corpse has a name and aww man i love this poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing this over my studio monitors because fuuuck playing this on my headphones. I'm not as good with horror and jump scares as I once was.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm seeing a lot of enemies listed as being weak to fire, is there an actual fire-based weapon or grenade? Because in a game where the tougher enemies can take you from full health to dead in about 5 seconds (I actually timed it!), meticulously luring them over to a gas pipe and then breaking it does NOT seem practical.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game so far, doing a Human-only run. I have to say though, some of these enemies (Technopaths and the Telepaths I just met) are kind of giving me a run for my money.

Still, there's nothing quite like crafting 10 Neuromods, realizing that I'm never going to use these 50 Psi Hypos I have and recycling them, and then crafting ANOTHER 10. Even without all the psi-options I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

cheesetriangles posted:

Going back to explore earlier areas when you have more skills is completely worth it.

Are there points of no return? I played for am hour last night and stopped at "are you sure you want to go to the lobby?"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hows the ps4 version?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Two Owls posted:

Are there points of no return? I played for am hour last night and stopped at "are you sure you want to go to the lobby?"

No, the game is very good at allowing and and in fact encouraging backtracking, at least in what I've played so far (up to the Arboretum).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's probably some e-mail about Tommy as a homage that makes its canon that Prey 2006 and 2017 are in fact the same universe :spergin:.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Pwnstar posted:

This looks cool and all but, gently caress man Prey 2 looked like it would be so much my poo poo. I never really was into System / Bioshock type games. Maybe I'll just replay Doom again.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pwnstar posted:

Cool, cheers mate. Didn't want to read up anything because the demo blew me away... But then I asked for spoilers anyway. I know, it makes no sense. Ignore me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prey is a very good game but man do I wish the person who was responcible for audio mixing knew what he was doing.
Audio mixing problems are the only thing that annoys me in this game but they're bad enough to constantly take me out of it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Where is Danielle Shos treasure map? I've found the rest, I just can't find hers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Prey is a very good game but man do I wish the person who was responcible for audio mixing knew what he was doing.
Audio mixing problems are the only thing that annoys me in this game but they're bad enough to constantly take me out of it.

they fixed the controls?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I saw the initial trailer for this when it came out a year or so ago, thought "meh, spoopy space 1st person shooter, who cares" and didn't read or watch anything else about it until today.

Man, I love being surprised.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

they fixed the controls?

I haven't played the console demo and I'm playing with kb+m on PC, so I dunno about the differences.
Haven't had any problems with the controls though. Other than I wish you could bind more than one button per action and that it was possible to rebind the ability wheel button.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I loved reaching the lobby and learning that it's a hubworld with interconnecting areas instead of being segmented into chapters like Dishonoured.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On PC this game controls perfectly. The UI is also very good, probably the best the -shock genre ever had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

On PC this game controls perfectly. The UI is also very good, probably the best the -shock genre ever had.

You try it w/ a controller?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No, I forgot to mention that I mean all of that with k/m in mind, sorry.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Glooy McGlooface owns. I love all the little details that make the world seem lived in. And of course the engineers build a nerf gun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Question about the Do No Harm achievement.

Do the typhon with crew names like the phantoms count? I'm guessing not, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Loving this game so far, although the fact that so many things are recyclable is really bringing out the worst of survival horror in me. I tend to grab up every scrap I can find and run it back to my office to recycle constantly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Protip: Don't go crazy with Neuromods just because you have some to spend, at some point in the story your upgrade trees will get more skills to buy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pwnstar posted:

Protip: Don't go crazy with Neuromods just because you have some to spend, at some point in the story your upgrade trees will get more skills to buy.

Actually, I know that the game has just come out but has anyone found any really good or really bad things to spec into? I have been going the hacking/engineering route but some of the stuff seems situational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love that there is so much poo poo that you can miss if you don't pay attention. Like the combination for the first safe and Dr. Calvino's hidden safe.