Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Benjamin Arthur posted:

You're very welcome. I could happy feed your narcissistic personality disorder in exchange for you no longer trolling people who are worried about suicidal/disabled friends or family dying by repeatedly insisting that its their fault.

Could you not quote him though so the clever people who have him on ignore don't have to see his boring nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ewan posted:

- Public services (trains, NHS etc) are often best run for profit by corporations. This introduces efficiencies and reduces the taxpayer cost.
- Selective education (grammar schools) provides the best kids with the means to realise their potential.
Add to that the running of ordinary schools by private academy chains for profit, it's been it's own mini-disaster.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Could you not quote him though so the clever people who have him on ignore don't have to see his boring nonsense?

Fair enough.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Can we at least collectively agree that it's past time to feed Dianne Abbott into some kind of political wood chipper?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Junior G-man posted:

Can we at least collectively agree that it's past time to feed Dianne Abbott into some kind of political wood chipper?

Actually she's good but the media, the public and also democracy itself conspire to make her look bad. Also you're racist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

I'm not sure feeding one of the few black, female politicians in the country into a wood chipper would be a very good idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jesus

https://twitter.com/DavidAPaine/status/860484300403347458

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Junior G-man posted:

She's fine and has good views that she's not afraid to speak out about, she should just be herded away from TV and Radio interviews whenever possible.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

She's fine and has good views that she's not afraid to speak out about, she should just be herded away from TV and Radio interviews whenever possible.

You mean, "she good and should speak out, just nowhere in the public view"? How does that work :confused:

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure feeding one of the few black, female politicians in the country into a wood chipper would be a very good idea.

I'd be inclined to agree if she wasn't so calamitously awful.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This is not true btw, the guy seems to be lying, bad at maths or not linking the full results.

Also another lie, but this is just funny:

quote:

With the Lib Dems currently on 10 seats, leader Tim Farron said: "These results tell a clear and stark message.

"Labour has collapsed. They cannot win the general election.

"If you want a strong opposition to this government, we are the party for you."

The party claimed they were on course to win "scores" of seats.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

This is not true btw, the guy seems to be lying, bad at maths or not linking the full results.

Also another lie, but this is just funny:

I hope you're right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Similarly, it took me a little while to realise that pissflaps is basically a oval office.

I think you'll find he's a supporter of New Labia.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

I think you'll find he's a supporter of New Labia.

I just want a labia majoraty

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860486250637262848
This seems surprising, both for the relatively low gain for the Tories (related to number of seats won) and the high gains for the Lib Dems that haven't translated into seats.

EDIT: Translated into Electoral Calculus that would give a hilarious result of a 28 seat Con majority, with the Lib Dems gaining 12 and Labour losing 20. Would certainly be a surprise.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 5, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

They should give her a late night comedy show on BBC 2, they wouldn't even need to tell her it was a comedy show.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Tory has won the Tees Mayoral race.

Unless him just accepting the win at the podium was fake.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I hope you enjoy your publicly owned airport.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

jabby posted:

This seems surprising, both for the relatively low gain for the Tories (related to number of seats won) and the high gains for the Lib Dems that haven't translated into seats.

EDIT: Translated into Electoral Calculus that would give a hilarious result of a 28 seat Con majority, with the Lib Dems gaining 12 and Labour losing 20. Would certainly be a surprise.

Perhaps it compensates for the seemingly miserable turnout yesterday, which I imagine would inflate the Conservative vote?

Just speculating/clutching at straws though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Party Boat posted:

I hope you enjoy your publicly owned airport.

It will definitely happen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
If people are flipping out this much over local council elections I can't wait for the general

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

I think Curtice has been at the glue.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Unsurprisingly to anyone but the idiot narcissist in the thread, Liverpool area returned massively for Labour.

As usual, it would have been closer to 90% than 65%, but people on the Wirral are poo poo.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tigey posted:

Perhaps it compensates for the seemingly miserable turnout yesterday, which I imagine would inflate the Conservative vote?

Just speculating/clutching at straws though
Speaking of which, just saw that the turnout for Swansea was 21%. Which surprised me a bit, the polling station seemed fairly busy compared with previous times I'd been there. Might just have been the time of day though, I went around 5pm when previously I've gone in the middle of the day or something.

Although looking closer, turnout in at least one ward (the largest ward too, Morriston which has 5 seats) is given as 0%, which is probably skewing things. Most other wards are over 30%, though I guess that's still bad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Turnout in the general will be increased and will probably just result in more Tory votes because we live in the Armageddon-by-stupidity timeline.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The busiest time would be the few minutes between work and the pub, yeah.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The Conservatives soaking up the UKIP votes because they've adopted all of UKIP's policies is a consequence of Jeremy Corbyn being leader?

Sadly, yes. Looking at this from the perspective of building a winning coalition, it's largely Corbyn's fault. The Tories feel safe on the centre, so have rhetorically gone after the right wing voters who had been choosing UKIP. Early indications are that this is working really loving well. If Jeremy Corbyn wasn't Labour leader, then the Tories would have to contend with the possibility of their centrist voters deserting them if they went too right wing. But as it stands, the Tories have maintained their centrist coalition and cannibalized their right wing rivals. It shouldn't have been possible to do both, but Corbyn (and the anaemic Lib-Dems) allowed them to by not presenting a credible centrist alternative.

This would all be fine if the big initial hope of Corbyn, that he would energize a mass of disengaged and disenfranchised, had come up good. There's a large enough quantity of non-voters that large scale changes in engagement patterns could warp the electoral math considerably. But that dream died in the 2016 local elections. When that became clear, Corbyn became at best dead weight, and at worst an active electoral danger.

There's a bigger danger lurking beyond. If the Tories succeed in turning UKIP into a stub, they're sitting pretty in the future. Because instead of a split right and a split left, we'll see a united right and a split left. The Tories can ignore the right wing, pander to centrists and marginals, and continue their low key campaign of wanton civil destruction for fun and profit, unable to be opposed effectively by the half dozen left of centre opponents who are also competing with each other.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Junior G-man posted:

oh yes joking about murdering black women is v. funny

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Scottish results are coming in and the Tories are taking a lot of seats off the SNP as predicted.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Undead Hippo posted:

Sadly, yes. Looking at this from the perspective of building a winning coalition, it's largely Corbyn's fault. The Tories feel safe on the centre, so have rhetorically gone after the right wing voters who had been choosing UKIP. Early indications are that this is working really loving well. If Jeremy Corbyn wasn't Labour leader, then the Tories would have to contend with the possibility of their centrist voters deserting them if they went too right wing. But as it stands, the Tories have maintained their centrist coalition and cannibalized their right wing rivals. It shouldn't have been possible to do both, but Corbyn (and the anaemic Lib-Dems) allowed them to by not presenting a credible centrist alternative.

This would all be fine if the big initial hope of Corbyn, that he would energize a mass of disengaged and disenfranchised, had come up good. There's a big enough mass of non-voters that large scale changes in engagement patterns could change the electoral math considerably. But that dream died in the 2016 local elections. When that became clear, Corbyn became at best dead weight, and at worst an active electoral danger.

There's a bigger danger lurking beyond. If the Tories succeed in turning UKIP into a stub, they're sitting pretty in the future. Because instead of a split right and a split left, we'll see a united right and a split left. The Tories can ignore the right wing, pander to centrists and marginals, and continue their low key campaign of wanton civil destruction for fun and profit, unable to be opposed effectively by the half dozen left of centre opponents who are also competing with each other.

I still suspect that after an election or two the right will split between the outright nationalists and the capitalist wings: nothing has been resolved and Brexit will probably be a sore spot for all of them no matter what the final arrangements will be. Lack of electoral opposition from Labour (hopefully they'd still be providing ideological opposition) will embolden this urge as well.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 5, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

your neighbours are bigger cunts than you are. amazing I know, but it's true

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Maphis posted:

I didn't see a single door knocker or leaflet from any of the parties. The polling station was equally as empty.
I'd like to think they were focusing on campaigning for the GE but I doubt I'll see anything then either.

Developing a campaigning organization takes time. I'm a 'new' Labour member (actually, like many others, an old member who rejoined). Accompanied by other 'new' members, I've done leafleting for these local elections. But we've had no support or encouragement from old members at any point, though we've sat through less active old members moaning on about the lack of action from new members while we were right there. We've talked about ways we can strengthen the local party - for example by making an effort to actually meet and talk to our new members at least once - but it cannot happen overnight.

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't think Corbyn is going to be leader by the time of the next general election but that doesn't mean he's going to step down immediately after.

I'm with Forkboy that I really want Corbyn to get on with reforms to allow left wing MPs to stand though, since the memberships patience with Corbyn isn't infinite.

Changing the rules of a democratic party takes time (and Conferences). I wish the left had been a bit more on the ball against last year's 'The members elected lefties to the NEC so we'll just add two more places for right wingers' move, but we did fight off the Unite challenger so there is still hope we can get the McDonnell amendment through this summer. Corbyn can't just do whatever he likes.

I thought I was an impatient person, but what with things like these and the reaction to election results where little has changed except for UKIP's collapse, I really wonder if short-termism isn't the left's biggest problem now. We need to put in years of work. It's not going to pay off immediately. Didn't we always know that?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The problem with that analysis is that left wing parties sticking to centrist triangulation is failing literally everywhere in the world it's being tried. At least actual left wing parties are winning in some places.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

JFairfax posted:

:psyduck: That's how you read that? Good God.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol the UK is full of hateful cunts.

corbyn has had 2 years of total media opposition and his own scumbag MPs opposing him from the first leadership results announcement.

idiot UK public believes he is bad man. votes for tories and brexit.

jesus gently caress the UK is just full of loving cunts, insufferable wankers who are going to suffer from brexit and the tories and I am loving glad.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Currently Tories are up 91 seats in Scotland alone. SNP lost 21, and Labour 58.

All hail Glorious Leader.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

That's racist and sexist.

Joking about murdering anyone is v. funny

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Junior G-man posted:

:psyduck: That's how you read that? Good God.

u want to feed the UKs most prominenat black politician into a wood chipper (it would have to be an industrial one not a little rental)

also wood chipper is not a good way of disposing of a body, it leaves a lot of DNA evidence scattered around and looks suspicious when u are feeding a leg into it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

That's racist and sexist.

Joking about murdering anyone is v. funny

what about joking about murdering pissflaps' imaginary family?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ukle posted:

Currently Tories are up 91 seats in Scotland alone. SNP lost 21, and Labour 58.

All hail Glorious Leader.

Didn’t realize the Scots became accelerationists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Didn’t realize the Scots became accelerationists

They didn't. The Tories just successfully became the Unionist party in Scotland.

• Locked thread