Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll have to ask another train sperg irl at the ticket office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They run the N700s on the Hikari. It's half N500 and half N700, but they only run the N700 for certain times.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
How bad of an idea would be visiting on like the 29th/30th of December for 7 days? There's a wrassling event on the 4th of Jan that I want to go to but I'm not sure how busy everything will be outside that

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Just wanted to say, I came back form Okinawa some days ago, and had a right loving blast. Did snorkeling twice, spent some time in Naha and went to the museum, went to a Japanese bath ate the best sushi I've ever had.

A question though, in one of the sushi restaurants they had this tuna sushi with what I can best describe as spiced wasabi. The sauce was darker in color than wasabi and slightly more viscous. The wasabi taste wasn't so strong and it had a distinct peppery flavor. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I've never had anything like this anywhere else.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Phone posted:

They run the N700s on the Hikari. It's half N500 and half N700, but they only run the N700 for certain times.

The very latest is the N700D but that's nozomi only. But frankly aside from the name tag your going to be very hard pressed telling them apart unless you have the super expensive gran class tickets.

I thought the 500 was Kodama only and had very recently been phased out as they were too expensive to maintain.

(edit: I have to know this as my kids love trains)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

fish and chips and dip posted:

Just wanted to say, I came back form Okinawa some days ago, and had a right loving blast. Did snorkeling twice, spent some time in Naha and went to the museum, went to a Japanese bath ate the best sushi I've ever had.

A question though, in one of the sushi restaurants they had this tuna sushi with what I can best describe as spiced wasabi. The sauce was darker in color than wasabi and slightly more viscous. The wasabi taste wasn't so strong and it had a distinct peppery flavor. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I've never had anything like this anywhere else.

I'm going to guess yuzu kosho, which isn't actually wasabi at all - it's a sort of paste made from the peel of a citrus fruit and peppers. It's good on pretty much everything.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New Year's week is the opposite of busy. A lot of museums will be closed Dec. 28 - Jan. 3.

That sushi thing definitely sounds like yuzu kosho. I love it in restaurants but haven't found practical use for it at home yet (because my family doesn't love it.)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Back when I "cooked" for myself yuzu kosho was a godsend. A little bit goes a really long way, especially for BSCBs. And it's basically zero calories.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Solus posted:

How bad of an idea would be visiting on like the 29th/30th of December for 7 days? There's a wrassling event on the 4th of Jan that I want to go to but I'm not sure how busy everything will be outside that

Trains/transport out of Tokyo will be very busy with people travelling home. Temples will be busy at New Years, most other places will be manageable or quiet.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

DiscoJ posted:

Trains/transport out of Tokyo will be very busy with people travelling home. Temples will be busy at New Years, most other places will be manageable or quiet.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to being way too large for everything and standing out of the crowd as a 6 foot tall man

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Solus posted:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to being way too large for everything and standing out of the crowd as a 6 foot tall man

You will be very special.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I got to Osaka today and ate some good takoyaki and walked around a bunch and it was a p good day.

That's my Osaka story.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Nice!!

You can get good takoyaki in pretty much any prefecture. Osaka just happens to be the place where they try to pretend is a very big thing because they don't have anything else to be proud about.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Nice!!

You can get good takoyaki in pretty much any prefecture. Osaka just happens to be the place where they try to pretend is a very big thing because they don't have anything else to be proud about.

Last time I was in Japan I got some in Tokyo and tbh it was worse than ones I've had in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei... the takoyaki I had last night was for sure the best I've had.

Anyway, gonna eat more foods today and maybe get one of those American Cherry Pie frapucinos I've seen at Starbucks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I recommend this Takoyaki place in Osaka station https://tabelog.com/en/osaka/A2701/A270101/27012248/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So here's a weirdly specific question:

I can't get on Line cuz last time I was in japan it was attached to whatever phone number I had at that time. Even the Facebook authentication pushes me to get a verification code either though a line account I'm logged in with or by SMS.

So that's out.

I also can't make a new account cuz my current sim is data only.

Is there any way I can get on Line or am I just out of luck?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dang dude :/ I think LINE isn't gonna happen but you can post obsessively in here or gmail me at jlaney and I'll connect you with goons who can answer your questions.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

So here's a weirdly specific question:

I can't get on Line cuz last time I was in japan it was attached to whatever phone number I had at that time. Even the Facebook authentication pushes me to get a verification code either though a line account I'm logged in with or by SMS.

So that's out.

I also can't make a new account cuz my current sim is data only.

Is there any way I can get on Line or am I just out of luck?

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahah

*deep breath*

aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
LINE is absolute garbage and i have an irrational hatred for it

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

It's not irrational to hate garbage though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

Yes, I do agree Wechat is the One True Chat Client.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Yes, I do agree Wechat is the One True Chat Client.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is Line wallet useful in Japan? Can you just tap and go and transfer money and order train tickets and pay for restaurants and pay for movie tickets like Wechat?

Is Guardians of the galaxy out in Japan yet

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Is Line wallet useful in Japan? Can you just tap and go and transfer money and order train tickets and pay for restaurants and pay for movie tickets like Wechat?

By the looks of it all the bic camera/etc here take wechat wallet and alipay which was an interesting surprise.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I tried it once but it takes forever because the cashier has to push a bajillion buttons :smith:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

caberham posted:

Yes for several years

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The new one

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

There is nothing irrational about your hatred for it. It is dog poo poo and there is no reason anyone should use it since this is not the dark ages and everyone has facebook now.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

caberham posted:

The new one

I don't know

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

If you want to see a Marvel movie, you're better off going to Seoul for the weekend.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

teddust posted:

There is nothing irrational about your hatred for it. It is dog poo poo and there is no reason anyone should use it since this is not the dark ages and everyone has facebook now.

Ewwww

A few good features of LINE: turn off notifications by user, friends over 30 who don't use Facebook

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Line is still the be all and end all method of communication in Taiwan to the point that I've had students have to interrupt their class because their bosses were Line-ing them demanding an answer for something work related.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Ewwww

A few good features of LINE: turn off notifications by user, friends over 30 who don't use Facebook

My notifications is already off and doesn't play any sound but the chat program is still bad and shows chat notifications

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

If you want to see a Marvel movie, you're better off going to Seoul for the weekend.

It's ok I watched it last week in Hong Kong. We don't have to wait forever for new movies

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Guardians 2 is like 5/12 or something right? Just a week late or so.

Edit: wait never mind I thought it was 5/5 US release for some reason

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Guardians 2 is like 5/12 or something right? Just a week late or so.

Edit: wait never mind I thought it was 5/5 US release for some reason

It is

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

teddust posted:

The reason is you have Japanese mates.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Here's my Japan tourism pro-tip: the Yamazaki distillery tour is awesome.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My work section does all their communication over LINE, including sending sensitive data about customers and poo poo when they are on business trips. Also a few times per week someone will post something to the group that is intended for their wife or their mom or someone. They also give each other poo poo for using stickers in the group that aren't from one of the two sticker sets the company has released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol I think my coworkers all use free line stickers in our work chat so they don't look extravagant even though I'm p sure they must have some excellent paid sets.