Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Sloober posted:

NPR reported it as Good but also Bad.

This is basically npr.txt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

skull mask mcgee posted:

As a young person with multiple preexisting conditions, I'd like to contest this.

Don't lose your insurance for more than 6 months, don't live in a red state, make more money, and don't have any major medical issues until you are 65 and you'll be fine (and probably come out ahead financially) under the AHCA.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

This is basically npr.txt.

They made it very clear that it was more bad, but you can't cover it honestly without reporting that it will help.... some people, for all the wrong reasons, which is what it did

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
So what's the easiest way to get a job that pays over $75,000 a year?

Prostitution?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Depends on where you live. If you live in America?

Hard work, intelligence, and strength of character.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't lose your insurance for more than 6 months, don't live in a red state, make more money, and don't have any major medical issues until you are 65 and you'll be fine (and probably come out ahead financially) under the AHCA.

If you have no major medical issues before 65 then you would do even better under the "don't have insurance at all" scenario.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Engineering.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends on where you live. If you live in America?

Hard work, intelligence, and strength of character.

Don't forget being a good, moral christian that is subservient to their parents and unwilling to challenge their beliefs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

That won't help with insurance though if you've been treated for STDs

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 5, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Tech bubble.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Politics

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Comp sci

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

That pays zip at lower levels, as many interns have found out.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

*fast announcer voice*

"offer only applies if you are white, male, straight, and protestant

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

-Comp Sci or Engineering

-Learning a Trade, like Welding or HVAC, and moving up the ranks

-Moving to the upper Midwest and working the oilfields

This is all according to SA/Reddit.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 5, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Dental assistant

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Nursing. 2 year associates degree then work or 4 year BSN. Then go back and do a nurse practitioners degree. Or do ICU care and rack up a ton of OT. 100k+.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Be a plumber. No joke.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Nursing is a stressful job but on the other hand it's relatively accessible and pays relatively well.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah Nursing is a stressful job but on the other hand it's relatively accessible and pays relatively well.

You are certainly stretching the definition of "easy" there. I'd rather code Java 8 hours a day in a comfy chair next to a coffee maker, than be on my feet all day being screamed at by people who are scared and in pain, and having to touch icky things all the time.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Any idea as to what this Senate rewrite may look like? I'm assuming that, since they're coming up with a new bill from scratch, there are going to be major differences from the version passed by the House.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Tech bubble.

I don't think goons actually know what a bubble is when they say dumb poo poo like this. Go pick up a book and learn things dude!!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

You are certainly stretching the definition of "easy" there. I'd rather code Java 8 hours a day in a comfy chair next to a coffee maker, than be on my feet all day being screamed at by people who are scared and in pain, and having to touch icky things all the time.

I... literally said it was stressful? Didn't mean to imply that it's in any way "easy"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

St. Dogbert posted:

Any idea as to what this Senate rewrite may look like? I'm assuming that, since they're coming up with a new bill from scratch, there are going to be major differences from the version passed by the House.

they have to thread the needle of pleasing their versions of the freedom caucus and the moderates.

collins, murkowski, and portman in particular are concerned about the losses in coverage. the first two are also concerned about taking away funding from planned parenthood.

basically there's probably going to be a conservative "yes we love death ahahahaha" bill and a moderate "less people die (but people still die)" bill and their gonna butt heads. in the house the HFC got to something they liked and bullied the Tuesday Group with the fig leaf of the upton amendment which doesn't really do anything.

issue is that senators have much longer viewpoints and have to represent whole states rather then hyperpartisian districts. otoh you've got repeal and replace as the promise to their base and no one wants to be singularly blamed for letting that fail.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Nepotism.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Reinbach posted:

Nepotism.

Hi My name Is Sloober Trump (JR) i'll take over the treasury as my job

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

St. Dogbert posted:

On the one hand, Senate Republicans are by and large much smarter politicians than their House counterparts and the more vulnerable among them won't vote for something that may cost them re-election.

On the other hand, Senate Republicans would happily order every one of you killed if it gets them a tax cut.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SourKraut posted:

Engineering.

This. Good engineers are almost always in demand, and going into a large field more or less guarantees good employment opportunities at large stable companies (that also offer good health care).

It's not a panacea, but if you're considering a major right now, think about going into the field.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tsa posted:

I don't think goons actually know what a bubble is when they say dumb poo poo like this. Go pick up a book and learn things dude!!

The current level of private venture capital flowing into really terrible ideas is an unsustainable bubble, just like healthcare costs and college tuition increasing by double digit percentages annually when real inflation is 2%.

Things like that juice bag squeezer should not be able to raise 9 figures of investment in a non-bubble market.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Lote posted:

Nursing. 2 year associates degree then work or 4 year BSN. Then go back and do a nurse practitioners degree. Or do ICU care and rack up a ton of OT. 100k+.

The academic requirements for becoming a nurse are no joke, even at the LPN level. Plus, you are going to have serious joint injuries after a decade or two of lifting 300+ lb. patients.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Just popping in to plug the goon made app to contact your rep.

Blow their loving phones up. It's super cathartic to tell them what a piece of a poo poo they are.

https://m.downloadatoz.com/myreps/com.mezzanine.myreps/

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Prostitution?

Helicopter pilot.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
My friends mother is in her 50's and is on disability/medicaid and apparently has a private plan as well to supplement medicaid. She's had some constant fairly serious medical problems but I don't know exactly what. What kind of outcome would be expected if the current bill passes in roughly the same form it's written. We're in Texas so any state options will probably be gently caress you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bashez posted:

My friends mother is in her 50's and is on disability/medicaid and apparently has a private plan as well to supplement medicaid. She's had some constant fairly serious medical problems but I don't know exactly what. What kind of outcome would be expected if the current bill passes in roughly the same form it's written. We're in Texas so any state options will probably be gently caress you.

Realistically, it depends on how quickly and precipitously state legislatures move to cut Medicaid and exactly where those cuts fall. The biggest change with this bill is not the preexisting conditions changes, it's that this bill will allow states to cut medicaid services, in a way that current federal law prohibits.

So, once and if it passes, states will have the power to start cutting essential medicaid services, like nursing home care, organ transplants, etc, and there would be nothing anyone could do to stop them.

REalistically though 65% of nursing home care in this country is paid for by Medicaid so that's a huge pot of money that will eventually be cut once states have the power to cut it.

My guess: presuming the bill passes, she'll be fine until she needs something unusually expensive, like a special wheelchair or complex surgery or long-term nursing home care. That will then be denied for pretextual reasons and she will begin a precipitous decline after that point.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 7, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/861208839416422400

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

But everyone will still have access to healthcare! Just like how everyone has access to a Porsche if they know where the dealership is!

https://twitter.com/thisweekabc/status/861209321970950144

You won't be outright denied, just effectively denied due to exorbitant pricing.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 7, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The NRO is really batting 1.000 lately.

https://twitter.com/nro/status/861187632008769536

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Eh, that article's failing is that he (almost) completely avoids pointing any consternation at where a huge part of the problem lies: for-profit insurance companies operating in the medical space, while then casually throwing out an anecdote about how doctors are considerably more interested when someone pays in cash versus using insurance.

My wife is a nurse practitioner who worked in private practice for several years seeing patients and then now works for a specialized clinic at a large hospital, and there was no "Oh they paid in CASH, let's make sure we see them!" as the author tries to insinuate. I'm sure it happens, but I can also say that far and away the largest part of the problem are the insurance companies themselves.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

But everyone will still have access to healthcare! Just like how everyone has access to a Porsche if they know where the dealership is!

https://twitter.com/thisweekabc/status/861209321970950144

You won't be outright denied, just effectively denied due to exorbitant pricing.

considering how many media outlets are bending over backwards to say that rape isn't a pre existing condition, just everything that happens because of rape, this distinction without a difference should play quite well with the Very Serious types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SourKraut posted:

Eh, that article's failing is that he (almost) completely avoids pointing any consternation at where a huge part of the problem lies: for-profit insurance companies operating in the medical space, while then casually throwing out an anecdote about how doctors are considerably more interested when someone pays in cash versus using insurance.

My wife is a nurse practitioner who worked in private practice for several years seeing patients and then now works for a specialized clinic at a large hospital, and there was no "Oh they paid in CASH, let's make sure we see them!" as the author tries to insinuate. I'm sure it happens, but I can also say that far and away the largest part of the problem are the insurance companies themselves.

Removing for profit insurance is only part of decreasing costs. You will have to lower doctor and healthcare salaries for universal health insurance to ultimately work.