Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Brilliantly spotted Josuke.

What a tremendous chapter, the bro-out between the Captain, Serpico and Guts was so good, even with Skull Knight's forewarning weighing on Guts' mind to see them all opening up and relaxed was fantastic. Gutsdog deserves some scooby snacks.

It must be so weird for Farneese and Schierke to see young guts who isn't torn to shreds, if and when they see what happens to him and Casca during the eclispe, or the waterfall it's going to really put their relationships to the test. Schierke has more of an infatuation of Guts, but Farneese is something else.

Casca's memory fragment is :unsmith:

Miura is one magnificent dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Miura's still got it :unsmith: Here's hoping for another 20 years of good health to finish Berserk.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Friggin Snake Apostle callback

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One thing I just noticed is that Griffith wishes for wings at the eclipse after being shown that the only way to the sky castle is a ramp made of corpses.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

genericnick posted:

One thing I just noticed is that Griffith wishes for wings at the eclipse after being shown that the only way to the sky castle is a ramp made of corpses.

Makes sense. Griffith wants to think of himself as a hero, even as he acts as an abuser and a rapist. He has a self-justification for everything he's done, but is still vaguely aware that throwing people's lives away is wrong. He wants Rickert to forgive him because he did what he had to and what his men (at least in his mind) gave him permission to do -- to use their lives in pursuit of his dream -- and now he thinks he can move forward and away from all of that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How it looked to us

What it was to her

Funny little panel turned out super important and I love it

Yeah I loved this part, especially that you can see all the fires in the distance behind Guts

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Makes sense. Griffith wants to think of himself as a hero, even as he acts as an abuser and a rapist. He has a self-justification for everything he's done, but is still vaguely aware that throwing people's lives away is wrong. He wants Rickert to forgive him because he did what he had to and what his men (at least in his mind) gave him permission to do -- to use their lives in pursuit of his dream -- and now he thinks he can move forward and away from all of that.

I forget. Did he send Rakshas to kill Rickert or did Locus send him/Rakshas did it himself?

And if he did send him I assume it's from a combination of recognizing Rickert is a threat, and being incredibly mad at Rickert but not wanting to show it in front of his underlings.

VVV I think Miura said he regrets including the Idea of Evil and that it will never be directly mentioned again. I'm not sure if he said how "canon" it still is. Even if it is canon I think it's just there to be a nebulous abyssal overbeing who's just there to explain that the world is so poo poo because of a positive feedback loop of hatred and suffering and fear causing people to act lovely and cause more violence and fear and suffering.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a testament to Miura's writing that I hate Griffith more than pretty much any other fictional character, yet also do empathize with him in the Golden Age arc as he watches his dreams of schmoozing and massacring and assassinating his way to the top crushed before his eyes. It's all about how you frame the character.

Like that part where he crashes the wagon into the lake shore, about a minute before he finds the behelit, and he's about to try and commit suicide by impaling himself on a piece of driftwood, but he notices one of his useless withered noodle-arms has broken in the crash, and he just looks a it and laughs... :(

Still. gently caress Griffith and I hope he suffers the worst fate cosmically possible in this setting.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 4, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That lost chapter basically shows Griffith was being manipulated by the Idea of Evil. So even though he crossed many moral lines, he was pushed there by a supernatural force with incredible power. The only way Guts can meaningfully get revenge for what happened to him and Caska is if killing Griffith screws up the Idea of Evil's overall plan for the world. If not, killing him doesn't attack the root of it.

I wonder if Guts will actually kill the Idea of Evil in the manga, or if it's something so intrinsic to humanity that it can't be harmed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I forget. Did he send Rakshas to kill Rickert or did Locus send him/Rakshas did it himself?

And if he did send him I assume it's from a combination of recognizing Rickert is a threat, and being incredibly mad at Rickert but not wanting to show it in front of his underlings.

It was pretty clear that Locus sent Rakshas, if Rakshas didn't do it on his own. Griffith was shocked, but accepted Rickert's decision to leave Falconia. Then it cut to Locus, frothing in rage at The Slap and that Griffith just let it slide.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schubalts posted:

It was pretty clear that Locus sent Rakshas, if Rakshas didn't do it on his own. Griffith was shocked, but accepted Rickert's decision to leave Falconia. Then it cut to Locus, frothing in rage at The Slap and that Griffith just let it slide.

So Griffith is actually completely cool and collected in his pursuit of his dark ambitions, and only gets mad when Guts is involved? He says that he feels nothing when he sees Guts in his Femto form but I completely refuse to believe that. Or at least, not in his reincarnated form that's also partially the Baby.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

That lost chapter basically shows Griffith was being manipulated by the Idea of Evil. So even though he crossed many moral lines, he was pushed there by a supernatural force with incredible power. The only way Guts can meaningfully get revenge for what happened to him and Caska is if killing Griffith screws up the Idea of Evil's overall plan for the world. If not, killing him doesn't attack the root of it.

I wonder if Guts will actually kill the Idea of Evil in the manga, or if it's something so intrinsic to humanity that it can't be harmed.

It would require an event on the scale of Skull Knight killing Ganishka and flattening all the planes of existence down like an accordion. Or, the same thing but even bigger.

Maybe killing Omega Final Form Griffith? Miura is probably too classy for something like that, though.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 4, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It would require an event on the scale of Skull Knight killing Ganishka and flattening all the planes of existence down like an accordion. Or, the same thing but even bigger.

Maybe killing Omega Final Form Griffith? Miura is probably too classy for something like that, though.

Guts will heal Griffith with love.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, the idea of evil would cease to exist if you kill all of humanity :shobon:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
When the ending comes, Griffith will talk to Guts and Guts will finally name-drop the series.
"No Griffith... I am Berserk"

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
heh, this new armor i've got? i guess you could say it makes me go a little BERSERK.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's looks like its time for me to go BERSERK and the band of the hawk

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
You can't hope to stop me, I've got the Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Graar you have made me berserk Griffith!!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
One of my favorite pet theories is that Griffith's endgame is usurping the dubiously-canon Idea of Evil in the heart of the people and his death by Guts' hand will sort of but not really free humanity from its mystical and metaphysical overlords.

EDIT: v Yeah, don't misunderstand. This would not be the execution of some master plan, but his hubris leading to the toppling of the cosmological status quo. v

LordMune fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 5, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think ascribing selfless motivations to griffith isn't supported by any part of the manga

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think ascribing selfless motivations to griffith isn't supported by any part of the manga

Griffith may not act selflessly, but his actions have benefited people plenty before. I could easily see whatever happens to him in the end being good for humanity, even if that's not his intent.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

This reminds me, it's been a long time since I read that part, can anyone explain/remind me what the heck actually happened?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The combination of Skull Knight's super cool sword and the death of cloud man ended up tearing down the wall that separated the physical world and the fantastical. All sorts of monsters and demons were able to exist in the real world.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ManSedan posted:

This reminds me, it's been a long time since I read that part, can anyone explain/remind me what the heck actually happened?

Skull Knight accidentally stabbing Shiva-Ganishka with his Behelit Sword caused the Physical and Astral planes to merge. So now fairies are 100% real and everyone can see them regardless of rigid faith. But the problem is so are bad things like trolls and ogres and apparently dragons. Also the other four God Hand members are now "closer" to realspace in a dimensional sense, so it might be easier for them to manifest and influence the world, like when Slann former herself out of intestines.

I admit I have no idea what the four page spread of "Void's brain" "Slann at the end of a huge tunnel made of people loving" "Conrad forming himself from a giant mass of rats" and "Ubik in the Hieronymous Bosch tree man" means. Like, it's really good as character-establishing art. But I don't know if that implies they are now in reality like Griffith is? Or if that's their own worlds, or what.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's probably still something that has to happen before the God Hand can fully manifest in the real world. Although I'm not sure why Griffith would want that to happen beyond being Femto.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're closer to the physical realm, that just makes them easier to kill :black101:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Small correction, Skull Knight was trying to hit Femto, who then warped space so the sword hit Ganishka in the head, even though he was like 20 feet away. SK was trying to defy fate with his rad behelit sword but played right into Femto's hands.

Since Femto was a brand new God Hand, SK didn't know what he could do but decided to take his shot anyway. And now dragons and goblins and poo poo are in the physical world, way to go.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Griffith loves Guts and Casca. He saved Guts several times and he has shown Casca preference in multiple occassions. He can't be a popular leader without redeeming traits.

I've said this a billion times now, but there is a scene when Skull Knight tried to attack Femto and Femto's power didn't work and he looked confused. Griffith/Femto is still limited, even after becoming a member of the Godhand. Everyone is bound by causality.

Griffith will turn face and RKO Void into the Idea of Evil.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 5, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I like to think some poor farmers field just turned into a giant brain after the Ganishka poo poo went down. Imagine waking up to that in the morning.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

temple posted:

Griffith loves Guts and Casca. He saved Guts several times and he has shown Casca preference in multiple occassions. He can't be a popular leader without redeeming traits.

I've said this a billion times now, but there is a scene when Skull Knight tried to attack Femto and Femto's power didn't work and he looked confused. Griffith/Femto is still limited, even after becoming a member of the Godhand. Everyone is bound by causality.

Griffith will turn face and RKO Void into the Idea of Evil.

Yeah but he still needs to die. Like....for realsies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm thinking a Darth Vader death for Griffith where he turns on the God Hand and destroys them, but dies himself in the process, is entirely plausible. This chapter seems to hint that Guts isn't gonna get the killing blow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Casca then. gently caress that noble sacrifice nonsense. Griffith is still a bad dude.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking a Darth Vader death for Griffith where he turns on the God Hand and destroys them, but dies himself in the process, is entirely plausible. This chapter seems to hint that Guts isn't gonna get the killing blow.

Griffith isn't Darth Vader, he's Prince Humperdinck.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
How is sending the hawk (falcon) into battle any different than sacraficing them to demons? also why did casca wear that purdy dress if she didn't want Griffis to notice her? #Griffithdidnothingwrong

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Griffith isn't Darth Vader, he's Prince Humperdinck.

I don't think the characters are comparable, I just think they might go out similarly. Apologies for any confusion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think the characters are comparable, I just think they might go out similarly. Apologies for any confusion.

Right, I'm saying I think the best outcome might really be that nobody kills Griffith, but rather he's frustrated in everything he tries to do and left to rot. The most horrifying thing for Griffith is probably just not mattering any more.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Right, I'm saying I think the best outcome might really be that nobody kills Griffith, but rather he's frustrated in everything he tries to do and left to rot. The most horrifying thing for Griffith is probably just not mattering any more.

So he should lose his powers, and revert to his form before the Eclipse, and is just a skinny tongueless beggar? And maybe Midland-City is magically restored in some form, and his begging spot on the street has a clear view of the castle?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LordMune posted:

One of my favorite pet theories is that Griffith's endgame is usurping the dubiously-canon Idea of Evil in the heart of the people and his death by Guts' hand will sort of but not really free humanity from its mystical and metaphysical overlords.
Oh no, a reverse Evangelion? Barf.

Ccs posted:

[spoiler]The only way Guts can meaningfully get revenge for what happened to him and Caska is if killing Griffith screws up the Idea of Evil's overall plan for the world. If not, killing him doesn't attack the root of it.
But then there's every reason to believe Guts will kill IOE out of revenge, nej? If Guts realizes that Griffith is a victim, particularly if he thinks that IOE is holding Griffith hostage or something, then he'll take it out on IOE... which may be IOEs design anyway.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah but I mean like it's a godlike being that's still in another dimension. Kinda difficult to kill. Though it is in the shape of a giant heart which he could stab if he got to it.

And then it will burst and inside is delicious candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So Griffith is actually completely cool and collected in his pursuit of his dark ambitions, and only gets mad when Guts is involved? He says that he feels nothing when he sees Guts in his Femto form but I completely refuse to believe that. Or at least, not in his reincarnated form that's also partially the Baby.

It probably has absolutely nothing to do with the baby. Griffith has a dark fascination with Guts that he's desperately trying to deny the part of him that Still Wants Guts. That he should be beyond such emotions and lusts as a Godhand - something above and beyond him. Watching Guts fight in the Berserk armor's - probably when they attack Elfhelm right around when Casca's finally healed in some way is gonna get him off all over again, basically showing a reverse of Griffith watching Guts kill Bazuso, and he's gonna start thinking about how much he actually wants Guts to fight with him again "because he could still have some use". Probably try to manipulate Casca to get to Guts.

Also I want to see some more painful memories of Casca be presented to the girls, besides the obvious Eclipse one. Like how she blames herself for the men that got killed when they ambushed Guts before he joined or how she felt when he left and watched everything go to poo poo. There's a good opportunity here to flush out Casca's thoughts and feelings in the things we didn't see or experience with Guts.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 6, 2017