Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Looks like we are getting close
https://www.facebook.com/BMWEDIBT/videos/1401353536588809/

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

sincx posted:

I'm not sure about the RV/band tour bus aesthetics on the front of that ... thing.

The American version looked much cooler, but only made it to nine episodes and drat near sank the network.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MikeCrotch posted:

Is there something in the water in Belarus that makes people unable to look left or something?

Taxi drivers.

Pretty universal that taxi drivers are the worst road users, despite being on the road all day.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gorilla Salad posted:

Better pictures:

Eat the rich.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The American version looked much cooler, but only made it to nine episodes and drat near sank the network.

This led me to the discovery of some classic Nazi insanity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

wiki posted:

Originally proposed to run on a 4-metre (13 ft 1.5 in) track, the Breitspurbahn was ultimately developed with a track gauge of 3,000 mm (9 ft 10 1⁄8 in).
The trains would be fitted with a restaurant, cinema, swimming pool, barbershop and sauna. The whole train would have a length of about 500 metres (1,640 ft), allowing a capacity of between 2,000 and 4,000 passengers, travelling at speeds of 200 kilometres per hour (120 mph).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I've heard of broad gauge, but this is ridiculous!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

This led me to the discovery of some classic Nazi insanity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

think about the amount of time/distance it would take to stop that bitch from 120 mph

or get it going up to 120 mph, even

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Swimming pool in a train, what could go wrong?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

And a dedicated cattle car for your Slavic untermenschen domestics, because :hitler:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ExplodingSims posted:

Swimming pool in a train, what could go wrong?

Lots of chances for a kiddie wave pool when changing velocity.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I was watching this and thinking the camera is too far away to catch the.. OH MY GOD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqVEk8D9Eg

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
hunter harrison killed cabs and ot. so trainmasters are the new pti and i guess they're going to have to bring a couple hundred guys back on off furlough.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That's freakin' cool.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

joat mon posted:

That's freakin' cool.

Agreed. If anyone wanted a bigger version like I did, look here: http://i.imgur.com/DPSAHrF.jpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So thats why it's called Light Rail.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
HA! ^^^

this is a new one on me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthq4WqBo0o

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Are you sure it wasn't knocked over by a fat foamer climbing the signal to get a better shot?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

How long was that boom gate down that the cops were there stopping traffic but nobody dragged it out of the way with a tie-down?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

~Coxy posted:

How long was that boom gate down that the cops were there stopping traffic but nobody dragged it out of the way with a tie-down?

I was thinking the same thing. If you grabbed the end of the gate the lever distance probably would have allowed it to be moved far enough by hand.

vains
May 26, 2004

the description for the video says the crossing gate/flashers were knocked down minutes prior. it's not like there was any danger to the crew/train...so why would anyone risk their lives/property moving it out of the way?

edit: the comments are like half autists complaining that the steam loco was not moving the train.

vains fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 26, 2017

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Whoops
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-missouri-train-collision-takes-down-highway-overpass/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I like how ntsb are on their way to review this Thursday accident. However, they have a time table of noon Saturday to even be in the area. I guess greyhound is their only option?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
hahaha
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-marries-train-station-shes-10499237

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Whoa. Although that's from 2013...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm at a loss here: aren't railroad-railroad intersections controlled in some fashion? I can't imagine why it would be just a "I got here first, yo" kind of priority.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm at a loss here: aren't railroad-railroad intersections controlled in some fashion? I can't imagine why it would be just a "I got here first, yo" kind of priority.

Both trains blew through 4 signals each. NTSB blames sleep deprivation, and the thing the NTSB always blames everything on - lack of a positive train control system. Report: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAR1402.pdf

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

0toShifty posted:

Both trains blew through 4 signals each. NTSB blames sleep deprivation, and the thing the NTSB always blames everything on - lack of a positive train control system. Report: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAR1402.pdf

Granted I have not had a chance to read the whole thing, but the executive summary suggests that the BNSF train had the right of way and it was only the UP train, operated by a sleep deprived crew that blew through the signals.

vains
May 26, 2004

PremiumSupport posted:

Granted I have not had a chance to read the whole thing, but the executive summary suggests that the BNSF train had the right of way and it was only the UP train, operated by a sleep deprived crew that blew through the signals.

the up engineer is a diabetic and it doesn't sound like he managed his condition very well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks to a link in the aeronautical insanity thread I read all of Axeman Jim's crap British locomotive posts, they kicked rear end.

I have a question for the thread: what do y'all think of this? Ontario apparently wants to make high speed train routes between London, Toronto and Kitchener.

e: old train post

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Axeman Jim is the gods gift to this thread.

And I think it's a good idea, too bad a lot of people (NIMBYs) are very opposed to any rail expansion because IT INCONVENIENCES ME AT CROSSINGS (and train horns).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iospace posted:

Axeman Jim is the gods gift to this thread.

And I think it's a good idea, too bad a lot of people (NIMBYs) are very opposed to any rail expansion because IT INCONVENIENCES ME AT CROSSINGS (and train horns).

In one of the aviation threads, there was a discussion about NIMBY noise complaints. The main factor in them is 1)proximity to rich people's houses. Actually, that may not even be the main factor; concentration statistics show that a major percentage of noise complains are made by twenty or less households.

quote:

In 2015, for example, 6,852 of the 8,760 complaints submitted to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport originated from one residence in the affluent Foxhall neighborhood of northwest Washington, DC. The residents of that particular house called Reagan National to express irritation about aircraft noise an average of almost 19 times per day during 2015.

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a couple airports in Canada restricted to props because the city had allowed so many people to build next to the airport and in the flight path. Toronto's Billy Bishop is the primary culprit.

Given the TO real estate bubble I imagine NIMBYs may be literally the main problem (not knowing much else about railways.) But I'm also saying "don't be fooled, the NIMBY noise might be a dozen mentally unwell complainers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

In one of the aviation threads, there was a discussion about NIMBY noise complaints. The main factor in them is 1)proximity to rich people's houses. Actually, that may not even be the main factor; concentration statistics show that a major percentage of noise complains are made by twenty or less households.

Given the TO real estate bubble I imagine NIMBYs may be literally the main problem (not knowing much else about railways.) But I'm also saying "don't be fooled, the NIMBY noise might be a dozen mentally unwell complainers.

Lol... Phoenix Sky Harbor - 3,814 complaints from 13 households in 85258 for an average of 293 calls per household.

Got to love morons in Scottsdale....

Note that all of Sky Harbor's runways are east/west, and the only aircraft flying over that zip code would still be quite high coasting in on an approach from the north or on a departure having made their initial climb-out and then turning (departures tend towards the west then turning north and then east).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
And there's another airport much closer to that zip code.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jamal posted:

And there's another airport much closer to that zip code.

Yes, it's the one all the rich assholes complaining about the noise fly their biz-jets and Moonies out of. :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One of Chicago's commuter trains (Metra) struck a grocery cart that someone placed onto the tracks near the Naperville station. According to the train crew, the cart went under the engine and caused an airhose to separate, and the cart got caught between axles 11 and 15 of the 28-axle train according to the defect detector which reported "dragging equipment" between those two axles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wilford Cutlery posted:

One of Chicago's commuter trains (Metra) struck a grocery cart that someone placed onto the tracks near the Naperville station. According to the train crew, the cart went under the engine and caused an airhose to separate, and the cart got caught between axles 11 and 15 of the 28-axle train according to the defect detector which reported "dragging equipment" between those two axles.

Well, uh, it's not wrong :shrug:

Still dumb that people think "OH, I'LL LEAVE THIS HERE ON THE TRACKS" is fine for other than pennies.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I had this happen to me while riding an Amtrak train on the NEC in like 1995. Saw little pieces of metal go flying by the window then the train braked. It cut an air line, same as that train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://i.imgur.com/ytSe8r0.mp4