Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://youtu.be/P2mGHeCAJOs at 5:24 (Can't figure out how to timestamp on mobile.)

"The creators patched out audiobook salesman and white nationalist Jontron's dialogue from the game. Which is a shame because if there's one thing Jonton is good at, it's making meaningless and incoherent noise into a microphone."

lol

Mecha Gojira posted:

Big! If true...

huge mood: communism

Safety Factor posted:

What's a Jontron?

Don't answer that.

WELL I'M GONNA he was the annoying part of Game Grumps and liked to say terrible things before he got kicked off and started his own really terrible show and then he said a bunch of stuff about white supremacy and his character was removed from Yooka Laylee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Safety Factor posted:

What's a Jontron?

Don't answer that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So did anyone at all see Free Fire besides me?

I did. It was really fun. I laughed throughout. Armie Hammer was great. I think the idea of everything going down for such a stupid petty reason worked, but it should have utilized John Denver more, could have made for interesting juxtaposition.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Reading Thomas Frank's Listen, Liberal it's really really good

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Reading Thomas Frank's Listen, Liberal it's really really good

It's really great. I just finished it last week and loved it but was a little disappointed cause the Obama section was so good and a skewering but the Hillary part at the end wasn't as good. Guess it's fair cause he had more to work with with Obama but, still great.

Edit: if you like the book, this talk the author gave is more of the same and just as good. He's surprisingly funny and younger than I thought.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4AlwewH8Y&ebc=ANyPxKqt1WPTnA1bM3QRs27xWifhkNpH8GskuFfBXqAIBsSk7xFCfxWGXlAQ037QMFngveN_eAYE

Biodome fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 5, 2017

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

I did. It was really fun. I laughed throughout. Armie Hammer was great. I think the idea of everything going down for such a stupid petty reason worked, but it should have utilized John Denver more, could have made for interesting juxtaposition.

I thought the John Denver angle was a really curious choice since you're just not doing that better than Final Destination.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought the John Denver angle was a really curious choice since you're just not doing that better than Final Destination.

I think it would have done better to just use only Annie's Song. It works when your lyrics are iterations of "Let me die in your arms" and "Let me send you my love" (You know what a love letter is? It's a bullet from a loving gun, fucker!) and everyone's gonna shoot everyone, but to also do This Old Guitar and try to sell that analogy (A gun's like an instrument like a guitar), it dilutes the idea.

A good example is You're Next. They chose "Looking For The Magic" by Dwight Twilly as the one song and repeat it throughout. It's the only song because it's a skipping CD (a skipping 8-track or whatever would have been fine). It repeats: "All my life I'm looking for the magic/I've been looking for the magic/Fantasize on a silly little tragic/I've been looking for the magic/In my eyes." It's catchy and it applies to multiple characters and their perspectives/wants/needs and the ideas throughout.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Biodome posted:

It's really great. I just finished it last week and loved it but was a little disappointed cause the Obama section was so good and a skewering but the Hillary part at the end wasn't as good. Guess it's fair cause he had more to work with with Obama but, still great.

Edit: if you like the book, this talk the author gave is more of the same and just as good. He's surprisingly funny and younger than I thought.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4AlwewH8Y&ebc=ANyPxKqt1WPTnA1bM3QRs27xWifhkNpH8GskuFfBXqAIBsSk7xFCfxWGXlAQ037QMFngveN_eAYE

ooooo thank you for this im loving this talk

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is there a thread to say just popped on Sexy Beast, been meaning to watch it forever, it was pretty good? Because it was pretty good, Kingsley is so drat funny as the a-hole mobster, and Ian McShane is the coolest loving guy around.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hannibal (show, not movie) is so loving phenomenal and I cannot believe it ever aired on network television, even after 10PM. There is some seriously gross poo poo that goes on, and it's shot like the pretentious art movie about a serial killer of my dreams. I'm about halfway through the last season and I all wish for is someone to announce that they're going ahead with that Silence of the Lambs miniseries Fuller keeps teasing, complete with his dream casting for Clarice Starling (Ellen Page).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Real Life (movie, not reality) was really funny, the production design is so perfect

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So did anyone at all see Free Fire besides me?

Yup, thought it was just ok. My girlfriend hated it

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
Saw Apocalypse Now 70 mm yesterday. Never had so many goose bumps.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
web app developement nightmare is turned in.

Now I just have to start and finish a research report* by midnight tonight. And also sleep.

With a small amount of luck, I will never attend another lecture as an undergraduate.

*not by any actual criteria

edit: god, setting my alarm for 11:15 in the morning and being told that that's less than six hours from now suuuuuuuuuckksssssss

Snak fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 5, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
One of the most surreal things I ever read, and mind, the context for this was a memoir about the brutal mass rapes taking place in occupied Germany immediately after the end of WWII, was that the safest place to hide was on the second story of a building. Many Soviet troops were afraid to go up flights of stairs simply because they had never encountered them before.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

One of the most surreal things I ever read, and mind, the context for this was a memoir about the brutal mass rapes taking place in occupied Germany immediately after the end of WWII, was that the safest place to hide was on the second story of a building. Many Soviet troops were afraid to go up flights of stairs simply because they had never encountered them before.

You should read about how automobiles were introduced to American society and the ensuing bloodbaths.

The most common form of transportation were horses, which had an average life-span of 2 years. Best case scenario the horse just collapsed from exhaustion and died in it's tracks. Worst case scenario, it was injured and was shot dead in it's tracks. Either way, it was common for urban areas to have dead horses throughout the city, because it wasn't required for the owner to move it, and they had horse corpse cleaning corps that would get to it eventually. Imagine a city in the heat of summer with half a dozen dead horses rotting in the street. That was normal.

There were no such things as playgrounds or parks for kids to play in urban areas, they played in the streets. The most they had to worry about were horses and carriages.

When cars were introduced, they would go around 20mph through the city streets. People didn't look, they didn't care, so hundreds of people were getting mowed down by cars just because they didn't know what they were and the drivers didn't stop. They'd see a car coming and assume it's going to stop. The driver saw the person and assumed they'd move. Bang. Hundreds and hundreds of people, mostly kids. People's reaction: make kids play in the street more, protest by standing in the street and refusing to move (and get killed). People fought for the right for kids to be able to play in the streets and get hit by cars.

It took several decades just to figure out traffic laws and how to implement them into society. It's also why they created the children's game "Red Light Green Light", but it only lowered the mortality rate by a little.

People are so dumb. Ridiculously dumb.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From the 5th of December to the 9th 12.000 people in London died from pollution during what is known as the Great Smog. 200.000 more became ill.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Franchescanado posted:

You should read about how automobiles were introduced to American society and the ensuing bloodbaths.

The most common form of transportation were horses, which had an average life-span of 2 years. Best case scenario the horse just collapsed from exhaustion and died in it's tracks. Worst case scenario, it was injured and was shot dead in it's tracks. Either way, it was common for urban areas to have dead horses throughout the city, because it wasn't required for the owner to move it, and they had horse corpse cleaning corps that would get to it eventually. Imagine a city in the heat of summer with half a dozen dead horses rotting in the street. That was normal.

There were no such things as playgrounds or parks for kids to play in urban areas, they played in the streets. The most they had to worry about were horses and carriages.

When cars were introduced, they would go around 20mph through the city streets. People didn't look, they didn't care, so hundreds of people were getting mowed down by cars just because they didn't know what they were and the drivers didn't stop. They'd see a car coming and assume it's going to stop. The driver saw the person and assumed they'd move. Bang. Hundreds and hundreds of people, mostly kids. People's reaction: make kids play in the street more, protest by standing in the street and refusing to move (and get killed). People fought for the right for kids to be able to play in the streets and get hit by cars.

It took several decades just to figure out traffic laws and how to implement them into society. It's also why they created the children's game "Red Light Green Light", but it only lowered the mortality rate by a little.

People are so dumb. Ridiculously dumb.

Why is this not a movie? I want 90 minutes of idiots being slowly mowed down by primitive automobiles, filmed as a really morbid silent comedy

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Honestly, pedestrians and drivers are still that stupid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I can't draw worth poo poo, but I've considered making animatics of scene ideas using action figures a la CP in lieu of storyboards.

Either that or do a radio play version.

My buddy is pressing our social group pretty hard to start a podcast and I keep trying to drive it towards radio plays. Or me just reading news and blandly as possible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Radio plays are great because they force you to find ways to tell a story outside of the box of visual storytelling.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Remember when Frasier put on a radio play? He vowed never to return to...NIGHTTTTMARRRRRE INN

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Radio plays are great because they force you to find ways to tell a story outside of the box of visual storytelling.

I've listened to every HP Lovecraft radio play I've been able to get my hands on. It's such a great format for spooky stories.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Today some random site had a headline like "Ron Pearlman considering running for presidency in 2020" and I feel like this is just the latest of a recent string of similar headlines about people with little political background wanting to run in 2020. Is it always like this when the dems lose or did anyone just figured, if Trump can win why not me?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Glamorama26 posted:

Remember when Frasier put on a radio play? He vowed never to return to...NIGHTTTTMARRRRRE INN

"Short on bullets. Thank YOUUUUU!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Honest Thief posted:

Today some random site had a headline like "Ron Pearlman considering running for presidency in 2020" and I feel like this is just the latest of a recent string of similar headlines about people with little political background wanting to run in 2020. Is it always like this when the dems lose or did anyone just figured, if Trump can win why not me?

Oprah should have run. You can debate whether or not Bernie Sanders could have beaten Trump, but there's no way on Earth Oprah would have lost to Trump.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I mean, Reagan was a Hollywood actor first.

MacheteZombie posted:

I've listened to every HP Lovecraft radio play I've been able to get my hands on. It's such a great format for spooky stories.

They're terrific for dramas, as well, you can get really into the flow of the language and ideas.

Glamorama26 posted:

"Could the McAllister sisters please stand back to back, I'm short on bullets."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I recently snagged every episode of The Lives of Harry Lime, I need to jump in already.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I still need to get my hands on the radio play Mike Leigh did.

edit: german theater is so loving advanced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBmvhjIzss

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 5, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Criminal Minded posted:

Why is this not a movie? I want 90 minutes of idiots being slowly mowed down by primitive automobiles, filmed as a really morbid silent comedy

The time is ripe for a Magnificent Ambersons reboot.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I got an amc gift card that I gotta use by next week. What should I go see?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Baahubali 2

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Lost City of Z is apparently great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

plz dont pull out posted:

Boss Baby

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

plz dont pull out posted:

Don't buy any tickets just go see how much popcorn they will give you

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yeah, or Smurfs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cakebaker posted:

Saw Apocalypse Now 70 mm yesterday. Never had so many goose bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnGTWI9ebKw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would say Guardians Vol2 because it's wonderful and filled with great emotional moments, character scenes, and super stylish action beats but no one here is going to see any of that in it, so I dunno. Boss Baby.

Spend money on that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 is neat because it actually has a good villain that isn't just a generic baddy who wants to destroy [insert planet here] but someone with an actual personality and motive and stuff. Also even though the film is more of a comedy than most Marvel films the characters actually all feel distinct and not just like one sided witty one liner dispensers that all sound the same.

Also one of the mid credits scenes shows that Marvel is finally going to include their best character in the MCU. To be specific Adam Warlock is probably showing up in Guardians 3. Though I suspect that they'll ease a bit on the Space Jesus with PTSD aspect of his character as the Vision seems to be a Robo Jesus and they can't really have two different Messiahs. Jim Starlin´s Warlock run is probably the best thing Marvel has ever published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Apparently TCM is showing a movie about Peter Weller fighting a giant rat on their Saturday over night thing.

• Locked thread