Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

learnincurve posted:

:lol:

Turns out Tories won Derbyshire by repeatedly promising to remove the Matlock parking charges. They may be evil but at least they were competent enough to find out what all the people with very little in their lives (aka old people) were bitching most about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bm9GPx5FMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ukle posted:

Has Corbyn appeared at all other than that 3 tweets he has sent out?

If he had anything about him he'd be writing his resignation letter.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/robmayor/status/860521346757001216

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Miftan posted:

Good, very religious people shouldn't be in government unless they can keep their beliefs away from it, and I haven't seen anybody who can.

e: and he's a kipper? loving what. I mean, it makes perfect sense for a Rabbi to be a kipper but holy poo poo what a combo.

Loads of people were surprised that ultra-orthodox Jews went for Trump in the US election, because people are always surprised when religious reactionaries vote for the side that literally jokes about killing them because their conservative values are more important.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pissflaps posted:

At least allow him the dignity of crashing out of the general election :laugh:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not convinced the leader of a political party writing his resignation letter 4 weeks before a general election would do anything positive for their party regardless of their popularity level. I don't think the new manager bounce works this close to an election.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Yeah, same here. I doubt Labour would do much better if they got in personwhoeverthehell now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm not convinced the leader of a political party writing his resignation letter 4 weeks before a general election would do anything positive for their party regardless of their popularity level. I don't think the new manager bounce works this close to an election.

You're absolutely right.

He should still be writing it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, same here. I doubt Labour would do much better if they got in personwhoeverthehell now.

A change to Dianne Abbot might cheer people up.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Give it Pardew.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

It won't, because the right have nowhere to go and remember the fate of the SDP. If he does resign the party will 'split' in the way it did under Blair, i.e. by members leaving.

Corbyn didn't resign after losing overwhelmingly a vote of confidence. gently caress even Thatcher resigned after WINNING a vote of confidence.

If he doesn't resign immediately after a terrible election defeat, it's fair to assume he's never going to leave voluntarily.

In which case, i expect the large majority of Labour MPs to jump to the Co-Operative party or whatever. I honestly don't know who would want to stick around for whatever Corbyn and McDonnel have planned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

e: and he's a kipper? loving what. I mean, it makes perfect sense for a Rabbi to be a kipper but holy poo poo what a combo.
That's a kippah.

I mean, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in Manchester, but there is one.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 5, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
gently caress me this thread has been full of windbags today. Don't any of you cunts have jobs to go to?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is pissflaps still trying to blame one single man for the collapse of the Labour Party councils, even those councils which are in Scotland?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

kingturnip posted:

gently caress me this thread has been full of windbags today. Don't any of you cunts have jobs to go to?

All you ever seem to do is come here and complain about the posters. There is the absolutely free option available of loving off.

Or, you know, try to raise the bar.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mediadave posted:

Corbyn didn't resign after losing overwhelmingly a vote of confidence. gently caress even Thatcher resigned after WINNING a vote of confidence.

If he doesn't resign immediately after a terrible election defeat, it's fair to assume he's never going to leave voluntarily.

In which case, i expect the large majority of Labour MPs to jump to the Co-Operative party or whatever. I honestly don't know who would want to stick around for whatever Corbyn and McDonnel have planned.
Maybe they could try winning a vote instead?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mediadave posted:

I don't know how candidate selection works, can they just decide to be in a different party just before the election?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Junior G-man posted:

All you ever seem to do is come here and complain about the posters. There is the absolutely free option available of loving off.

Or, you know, try to raise the bar.

Complaining about things in the UKMT thread seems really unusual, are you sure about this?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I don't know how candidate selection works, can they just decide to be in a different party just before the election?

Oh, I meant after the general election.

BTW, how safe are Clive Lewis etc?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

kingturnip posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3818944

I can see 1 guy without a job right at the top.

I don't have high hopes for the election, but it would be pretty funny if the final votes were basically the same as the 2015 one, but it seems all that's going to happen is the Tories takes UKIP's votes and the Lib Dems take some Labour, but not enough to really do anything other than just make Labour lose some seats. Nice fightback guys, really showing the Tories who's boss.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

kingturnip posted:

pissflaps has an imaginary job and an imaginary wife. im thinking big fat neck beard in mums basement.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Viscount offered £5k for Brexit campaigner Gina Miller to be run over, court hears

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/viscount-offered-5k-brexit-campaigner-gina-miller-run-facebook/amp/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We have basements in the UK? Does anyone know of anyone with a basement? I'd imagine they live in Cheshire/Essex as old money all have cellars with wine in them, and normal people have concrete poured over the foundations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lots of old terrace houses in Leicester have cellars. Also old corner shops that have been split into two houses usually have a basement.

He's going by the Forums Defence Act 1889 doctrine of having a number of posts at least equal to the combined total of the next two posters.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 5, 2017

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

learnincurve posted:

We have basements in the UK? Does anyone know of anyone with a basement? I'd imagine they live in Cheshire/Essex as old money all have cellars with wine in them, and normal people have concrete poured over the foundations.

a lot of buildings in selly oak in birmingham have basements actually. i found it weird. also i spent a lot of my life near cheshire and no, they don't really have basements there. cheshire isn't some posho bastion you know, it includes a lovely place called blacon. the duke of westminster with his eaton house estate might have a cellar, but the rest... nah not really.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Well, that sure was a day.

The crumb of comfort so far is that two places have done 'projected vote share' and extrapolated a Tory majority of somewhere around 30 to 60. Which at least avoids landslide territory unless people turn out even more for the Tories in the general.

Yeah, I didn't say it was much comfort.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Saw that yesterday - comments section was overwhelming "Good" "I'd do it for free" "Death to the black bitch", etc

I'm genuinely worried she is going to end up being killed by someone

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

The number of people hit by the benefit cap has trebled in three months, according to government figures published today.

The statistics are the first to show the impact of the lowering of the benefit cap from £26,000 to £23,000 a year in London and £20,000 a year elsewhere. The cap limits welfare payments to households that are not working regularly

The lowering of the cap has spread its impact well beyond the capital, with the numbers having their benefits payment restricted shooting up from 20,000 households in November - just before the reduced cap took effect - to 66,000 in February.

The number affected is lower than forecast in the impact assessment of the changes, which was published last year. However, those affected are being hit hard - with around half losing at least £2,500 a year.

The benefit cap is supposed to act as an incentive to find employment. Those who find at least 16 hours of work per week are allowed to receive their full level of benefit, including housing benefit and child benefit.

Earlier this week the Department for Work and Pensions select committee published evidence that the reduced cap was leading to sharp rises in the number of people affected outside London, with increased workloads for Citizens Advice and homelessness charities as people struggled to cope with the sudden loss of income.

Poverty charity Turn2Us told the committee that their helpline was fielding calls from pregnant women asking what benefits they would receive if they continued with the pregnancy, "citing that the outcome will help them to decide whether they continue with the pregnancy or terminate it".

Fewer than one in six people hit by the benefit cap are receiving benefits that actually require them to try and find work - suggesting that the cap is hitting thousands of people who have little chance of getting a job.

The figures show that just 16% of those affected by the cap are receiving Jobseekers Allowance - whose recipients are expected to try and find work.

This is barely higher than the 15% who are receiving the ESA "work related activity" disability benefit, which requires claimants to prepare for a return to the workplace, but not to actually find a job.

More than half of claimants affected by the cap receive Income Support, which is mostly paid to single parents, and fully 91% are in receipt of child tax credit - neither of which requires claimants to try and find work.

This reflects the huge impact the benefit cap has on single parents. Forty-eight thousand households - 72% of those hit by the cap - are single parent families. Fifty-five thousand are households with between one and four children, while a further 6,800 have five or more children. The lowering of the cap has had a particular impact on households with three children.

Halton Housing Trust told the DWP Select Committee that the initial response from tenants affected by the reduced cap was to apply for emergency funding or for those disability benefits that are exempt from the cap. The Trust said in its evidence to the committee: "Where there are concerns about the lower benefit cap, it does not initially act as an incentive to find work."

The lower benefit cap is expected to put pressure on tenants. London Councils, which represents local authorities in the capital, warned the committee: "It will be increasingly unviable for households to avoid the cap by moving to lower value areas (including areas outside of London) given that housing costs will be more widely unaffordable."

The think tank Policy in Practice told the committee that the benefit cap more than doubles the average gap between housing benefit and rent for families in temporary housing, leaving councils to plug the gap. Croydon alone could face extra costs of £1.1m as a result.
:toot: :suicide:

As some goon put it the other day: It is a basic tenet of Conservatism that poor people only work harder if they are given less money, but rich people only work harder if they are given more money

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the problem with an inevitable Labour loss is that everyone who is someone is going to be hunkering down for the post-GE battle for the party

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

mediadave posted:

BTW, how safe are Clive Lewis etc?

It's hard to say that anyone with a less than 10,000 seat majority is safe, but Lewis remains popular locally, has been involved in the local campaign and has good visibility and saw all of the local council seats in his seat get returned comfortably for labour. There's people with larger majorities than him in 2015 that I think are in a lot more danger.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's hard to say that anyone with a less than 10,000 seat majority is safe, but Lewis remains popular locally, has been involved in the local campaign and has good visibility and saw all of the local council seats in his seat get returned comfortably for labour. There's people with larger majorities than him in 2015 that I think are in a lot more danger.

I wonder how the MP for Islington North is going to fare.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Looke posted:

The left is dead

Source your 25 year old quotes

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
andy burnham's decision to bide his time in manchester looks better and better, really

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

learnincurve posted:

I live in a shared house with a basement, though it's bloody tiny and full of old furniture. I think most houses on my street have them too

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

Used to have a cellar in two terraced houses in Nottingham.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess my big hope now is that this isn't representative because the turnouts were so insanely low.
I know a lot of people didn't realise there was an election here.

The idea of Libdem or Green voters making the Tories their second preference absolutely baffles me. It's like saying "I'll vote for Die Linke or I'll vote for the Nazis", it just doesn't make sense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/RonJichardson/status/860540463794851840

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that was a shower of shite.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/thatconnartist/status/860395404294225920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The house I just purchased in Surrey does not have a cellar

• Locked thread