Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Medullah posted:

Any software to sync locally files between two drives? I've used Synctoy for years, but now am on Windows 10 which doesn't support it. I basically have 4 drives, 2 of which have data and the other 2 are mirrors of them - I had Synctoy set up weekly to perform the mirroring.

I have Acronis which can do backups, but I really just need a straight sync software so if one drive goes bye bye I can still be okay without setting up RAID.

I like FreeFileSync. You can schedule it using Task Scheduler, and there's even a real time sync option that keeps things continuously synced, though I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Medullah posted:

Any software to sync locally files between two drives? I've used Synctoy for years, but now am on Windows 10 which doesn't support it. I basically have 4 drives, 2 of which have data and the other 2 are mirrors of them - I had Synctoy set up weekly to perform the mirroring.

I have Acronis which can do backups, but I really just need a straight sync software so if one drive goes bye bye I can still be okay without setting up RAID.
I have been using SyncBackFree for over five years without issue.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Medullah posted:

I've used Synctoy for years, but now am on Windows 10 which doesn't support it.

It doesn't? Have you tried to install .net 3.5 ?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pofcorn posted:

It doesn't? Have you tried to install .net 3.5 ?

Ironically I JUST saw that. I was going to give it a try, but figured the writing is on the wall for SyncToy so I'll try a couple of the alternatives listed above. :)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Just installed Musicbee based on some recent chat here and gosh, this is neat. ++ would d/l again

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

fishmech posted:

It's possible to make WINE run in the Bash On Windows Ubuntu environment ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 ), but you'll be spending a lot of time debugging that yourself as it's not officially supported yet.

You are much better off simply running the VM so you can tell whether the problems you're getting are from WINE itself rather than WINE plus the hacks you need to do to make it run.

Ok, too bad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
kb4015217 is failing to install, both via Windows Update as well as via manually-downloaded MSU. Is there someplace I can look for error logs? The

The error message posted:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217) - Error 0x8e5e03fe

Edit: The second method in the second post fixed it.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 5, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm looking at buying a new computer. I have a Home copy of Windows 10, I think it's a complete license, on a USB stick from Amazon.ca. I used it on my current computer. Is it possible to use that license on my new computer? I don't mind deactivating or uninstalling Windows on the old one, and I don't need to transfer the installation, I'm just wondering if I need to buy a new license at all.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So, if I have Windows 7 now. I haven't upgraded the model but I did check the box long ago that I wanted Win10. Can I still do the upgrade?
If I can do that, then the question two is, can I transfer it to another computer or do I need to buy win10?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Simple Simon posted:

So, if I have Windows 7 now. I haven't upgraded the model but I did check the box long ago that I wanted Win10. Can I still do the upgrade?
If I can do that, then the question two is, can I transfer it to another computer or do I need to buy win10?

You should be able to upgrade on that box. You might be able to use the code to do a fresh install of 10 on a second box. I just built a new machine and it wouldn't let me use the code from my old Windows 7 machine for a fresh 10 install, but it did let me use an unused code for 7 that I had laying about.

If it doesn't work there's a thread in SA-Mart where you can buy a cheap 7 code and use it for 10

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Medullah posted:

You should be able to upgrade on that box. You might be able to use the code to do a fresh install of 10 on a second box. I just built a new machine and it wouldn't let me use the code from my old Windows 7 machine for a fresh 10 install, but it did let me use an unused code for 7 that I had laying about.

If it doesn't work there's a thread in SA-Mart where you can buy a cheap 7 code and use it for 10

Good to know but why am I so hesitant about Win10. Never heard anything but bad about it. With the forced update, windows store being a mess and feeling like you're being more watched on the system.
But to be fair, I haven't really sought after positive about it.

I just think it's time to do the leap, just like I did from XP to 7.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Simple Simon posted:

Good to know but why am I so hesitant about Win10. Never heard anything but bad about it. With the forced update, windows store being a mess and feeling like you're being more watched on the system.
But to be fair, I haven't really sought after positive about it.

I just think it's time to do the leap, just like I did from XP to 7.

Yeah I was the same way, I held onto Windows 7 for a long time because I used Windows Media Center as my cable box with a HDHomeRun. But doing a fresh install of 7 is a pain in the rear end to update these days, and it's pretty much just time to move to 10.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm genuinely surprised Ceton hasn't gone belly up once W7 started dying off. Are cable providers still required to provide cablecards?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Ceton hasn't gone belly up once W7 started dying off. Are cable providers still required to provide cablecards?

Dunno, I got mine a few years ago. HDHomeRun released their fairly lovely Windows 10 App but it lets you view encrypted channels finally, so the one thing that WMC was required for is no longer true.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

They're still required to provide CableCards, they're also still not required to make them easy to use.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I've done the cable card dance with Comcast for the last 7-8 years with Comcast. It has been fine - the old Hauppage tuner I used to use was a real piece of poo poo, but my HDHR Prime works well enough. Setup with Windows Media Center is easy.

The real problem is that Comcast makes you pick up the cards from a Comcast store, and I have a tendency to cancel my service every 12 months to sign up for new promos, meaning I have to walk into Comcast stores once a year. This ranges from being pretty easy, to being downright awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I applaud people still making it work, especially now that they're cramming x1 down everyone's throat. We used CableCard for a couple years and it just wasn't worth the hassle.. zero support, problems were never EVER the provider's fault, and with the death of WMC we gave up and cut the cable entirely.

WMC was so darn cool too. Wish Microsoft didn't let it go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm not really the typical cable watcher, I generally don't channel surf, just know when the few shows I want to watch are on. Running cable into my bedroom and computer room was gonna be a pain in the rear end, so I tried the HDHomeRun and it works great for me. But for most users, yeah, definitely a pain.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

I applaud people still making it work, especially now that they're cramming x1 down everyone's throat. We used CableCard for a couple years and it just wasn't worth the hassle.. zero support, problems were never EVER the provider's fault, and with the death of WMC we gave up and cut the cable entirely.

WMC was so darn cool too. Wish Microsoft didn't let it go.

I gotta say my X1 is great though. It's a cable box that isn't slow as poo poo, finally after like 40 goddamn years of cable boxes existing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fishmech posted:

I gotta say my X1 is great though. It's a cable box that isn't slow as poo poo, finally after like 40 goddamn years of cable boxes existing.

Except for the part where Comcast may randomly delete some/all recordings when changes are made to your account.

You can have them "investigate" it and you'll get nothing but a "we can't get your shows back, deal with it" type excuse.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Alright, so I started to go down the rabbit hole of "how bad is Win10", while it seems it's a great engineered OS, with great features in it. Lots of good native support.

It seems that it really wants to spy on you.
What can I do to stop it? What is the must get third-party-stuff?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Define "spy" so we know which clickbait articles you read.

Largely, it collects telemetry to improve its own function (50% of crashes happened when X and Y, ect) - the scary privacy warnings are things it needs to do if you use cortana, since it literally can't not "share" information about your trip if you're asking MS' servers to plan it. This is the same with any digital assistant, siri, Now, etc.
You can disable cortana and telemetry if you wish.

e: If there are still valid complaints about Win10, it's certainly a lack of QC around larger updates. If you are building a new machine and want a good experience, consider paying ~$10 for a Win7 pro key and using it to get Win10 pro. Defer updates makes the experience a lot better.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 7, 2017

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Khablam posted:

Define "spy" so we know which clickbait articles you read.

Largely, it collects telemetry to improve its own function (50% of crashes happened when X and Y, ect) - the scary privacy warnings are things it needs to do if you use cortana, since it literally can't not "share" information about your trip if you're asking MS' servers to plan it. This is the same with any digital assistant, siri, Now, etc.
You can disable cortana and telemetry if you wish.

e: If there are still valid complaints about Win10, it's certainly a lack of QC around larger updates. If you are building a new machine and want a good experience, consider paying ~$10 for a Win7 pro key and using it to get Win10 pro. Defer updates makes the experience a lot better.

Well I guess spyware is a strong term but data collection but mainly watching Barnacules Nerdgasm(dumb name but considering he worked with MS for 15 years, he should have some knowledge about it).
I was reading some on Arstechnica about Candy crush.
Also on the Verge but that site has never been that good at most reporting but I would trust it over forbes.

Is Barna. hyperbolic/click-baiting/promoting his own agenda?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you're running a normal installation of 7 or 8 you already have all the "omg spyware!!!" stuff, unless you've very carefully spent 2 years choosing to only install certain updates to prevent it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Simple Simon posted:

I was reading some on Arstechnica about Candy crush.
Also on the Verge but that site has never been that good at most reporting but I would trust it over forbes.

Do you really care if some dumbass​ game comes with it though? Hardly seems like a dealbreaker

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Do you really care if some dumbass​ game comes with it though? Hardly seems like a dealbreaker

Well, I can understand it as a matter of principle (and it really is stupid insulting bullshit), but in practical terms I agree that by itself it's a dumb reason to forsake the whole thing.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Should I instead think of it as the modern solitaire for windows?
But yeah, I'm not planning on going back to 7 but I was just a bit worried about everything in win10 but if I have almost the same type of spying right now on 7. It doesn't matter too much.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You can uninstall it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question: Is there any free/open source document management type software out there that one might use to, say, make an index of a bunch of PDF files by searchable metadata, that one would recommend?

Is there is a "small office software" thread or something where people might be up to date on this stuff?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gozinbulx posted:

Quick question: Is there any free/open source document management type software out there that one might use to, say, make an index of a bunch of PDF files by searchable metadata, that one would recommend?

Is there is a "small office software" thread or something where people might be up to date on this stuff?

In what way does Windows built-in search not work? Do you mean custom metadata of some sort?

You might have to install an ifilter for pdfs...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yes, these PDFs are not necessarily editable/readable as text. More like create a centralized database where I could, at least, manually enter the metadata for the each file and then look it up based on that metadata at a later date.

There are some open source solutions out there but they seem massively complicated and would go down like a bombshell with a workforce which is generally not too computer savy.

Maybe I'm asking too much but was wondering if anyone knew.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, these PDFs are not necessarily editable/readable as text. More like create a centralized database where I could, at least, manually enter the metadata for the each file and then look it up based on that metadata at a later date.

There are some open source solutions out there but they seem massively complicated and would go down like a bombshell with a workforce which is generally not too computer savy.

Maybe I'm asking too much but was wondering if anyone knew.

We use Sharepoint for this stuff at work. But it is nether free nor open-source and probably overkill for what you're trying to do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gozinbulx posted:

A PDF editor will allow you to add metadata that Windows Search will search as "tags", and will usually be called "keywords" in the PDF editor. Title, Author, Subject are also editable and will be searched by Windows.

In Adobe Acrobat itself, you can edit these things in File>Properties>Description with the PDF open. Also don't bother editing the metadata beyond Title, Author, Subject and Keywords; since Windows Search will only index and search those ones.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Windows 10 computer at home. What would be the best way to Remote Desktop to it from my iPad or MacBook?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a Windows 10 computer at home. What would be the best way to Remote Desktop to it from my iPad or MacBook?

Teamviewer free.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Teamviewer free.

Holy poo poo gently caress that. TeamViewer has terrible security.

Use Microsoft Remote Desktop on MacOS. On iOS Jump Desktop costs money but is an incredibly good RDP client.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's 1001 good tutorials to RDP over SSH.
Any one of them is a better idea than TV or default-port-exposed RDP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chrome's remote access works well too. No idea why a web browser has an extension like that, but hey if it works it works.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bobfather posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress that. TeamViewer has terrible security.

Use Microsoft Remote Desktop on MacOS. On iOS Jump Desktop costs money but is an incredibly good RDP client.

Really? People are still on that poo poo? Teamviewer is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreenNight posted:

Really? People are still on that poo poo? Teamviewer is fine.

Teamviewer is for doing short jobs where the target computer will have the teamviewer server software removed shortly after you're done with it. It is not really suitable for something where the target is expected to be accessible all the time.

One should set up a proper VPN solution with their home router and use RDP directly through that for remotely using their own computers.