Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The MMO label is something developer generally want to avoid these days. Just look at how Funcom desperately avoids calling TSW's relaunch an MMO. The genre has earned itself a pretty bad reputation, and honestly its with good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The MMO genre is great, actually.

Asimo posted:

Which is the sign of a healthy, growing industry.

There's no big-name MMOs in development, and surprisingly few MMOs in general in development (and almost all of them in Asia). Everyone's moved to much easier to make and equally profitable MOBAs, hero shooters, mobile games, and so on. No, existing MMOs still exist and will continue to do so, so no the genre isn't "dead". But barring some big sea change in the game industry what we have now is what we're going to get.

So when *were* big name western AAA devs making tons of MMOs? The only one I remember is the bioware starwars one, and that one, while fairly lovely at launch, is good now from what I hear. Same with ESO.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also niche mmos continue to pop up, it's just finally been accepted after TOR and Wildstar failed that the idea of a big budget AAA mmo that will recapture the magic of WoW isn't going to happen

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

what it really comes down to - there is only room for a couple of AAA mmos and they're not going anywhere. WoW isn't what it used to be but don't pretend it doesn't still print money. ffxiv is in a very good place as well. then the lesser AAA still exist and are making a profit otherwise i doubt they'd keep them running, like eso and swtor. the idiots that thought the genre could support a dozen several mil pop games were just that all along, idiots. even the empty suits caught on so why can't you goons?

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
revelation online is.... surprisingly not bad? then again after reading reviews about it my expectations were pretty much through the floor. also it seems the trouble starts when you hit end game. so far at level 20 though it's really not that bad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's really 2 kinds of MMOs out there. One is "grind poo poo with chill friends for item levels forever", the other is "grind poo poo with chill friends for character levels forever". Whichever you prefer, there's a few that have both well designed mechanics and content, and many many bad ones, because getting both of those things right isn't the easiest thing. Also, many just drop the mmo pretense, and give you a glorified 3d lobby and then it's just instances for all the content, which isn't a bad idea really. Overworld content is kinda not popular.

There's also the sandbox thing, but it appears to be too niche to support more than eve online and a couple super tiny ones.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Percelus posted:

so if you think having a hilarious AAA mmo failure every couple of years is a sign the genre is somehow more healthy you are objectively retarded

It may not be more healthy but it's definitely more entertaining.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The least-bad Final Fantasy game made since 1994 is for loving cellphones

You can call the MMO genre dead all you want, but I'm gonna instead insist it is Final Fantasy that is dead

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Percelus posted:

even the empty suits caught on so why can't you goons?

To be fair I don't think anyone is arguing with what you're saying?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also niche mmos continue to pop up, it's just finally been accepted after TOR and Wildstar failed that the idea of a big budget AAA mmo that will recapture the magic of WoW isn't going to happen

Destiny is a AAA mmo and is releasing a new version this year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ad by Khad posted:

You can call the MMO genre dead all you want, but I'm gonna instead insist it is Final Fantasy that is dead

When did they release IX on cell phone

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When did they release IX on cell phone

Sometime last year.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

cell phones don't have good games

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Clash Royale is actually the best PvP ladder game out right now even though saying so upsets some people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

Well someone has some bad blitzball ptsd.

Or was it triple triad that got you?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Truga posted:

Overworld content is kinda not popular.

Can't imagine why no one wants to wade through a sea of endless trash just to get to the content they actually care about, preferring to fly over it when possible.

Ad by Khad posted:

Please put some effort into your trolling.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

FFT is my no.1 as well

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mayor McCheese posted:

Since this has become the general MMO thread, is it that odd? I don't follow the other MMO threads, so I'm assuming FF14 fatigue is still a thing.
Nah I'm just making a joke that the Wildstar thread tends to talk about FF14 a bunch. FF14 is real good if you want a theme-park MMO and it does some things exceptionally well but it doesn't push any limits or boundaries to the genre.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well the two big surviving subscription MMOs are WoW and FFXIV, so they're bound to come up eventually in MMO discussions. :effort:

And yeah it does some things really well but ultimately it's still just a well polished "traditional" fantasy MMO, with all that entails.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Asimo posted:

Well the two big surviving subscription MMOs are WoW and FFXIV, so they're bound to come up eventually in MMO discussions. :effort:

And yeah it does some things really well but ultimately it's still just a well polished "traditional" fantasy MMO, with all that entails.

The things it does badly is accurately reporting your performance in a group setting, having a usable interface and producing new ideas instead of reheating the same old poo poo with a new paint job.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Byolante posted:

The things it does badly is accurately reporting your performance in a group setting, having a usable interface and producing new ideas instead of reheating the same old poo poo with a new paint job.

Seriously, it looks to me that almost literally every boss has that mechanic where you have to kill a bunch of adds before the boss uses Instant Wipe Attack.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's some interesting elements in the overall design of encounters; most of them have various "mercy kill" moments of either DPS checks or raid-wide burst damage to finish off a weakened or unprepared party without the kludge of a hard enrage timer or locking out mid-battle resses. There's also a lot of reuse of boss mechanics compared to something like WoW... which is kind of both good and bad. It's bad since, yeah it's obviously reusing mechanics. But at the same time there's very clear symbology for the various "types" of attacks and this makes it really easy to learn even unfamiliar fights without requiring strategy guides, and it lets them keep things hectic by mixing various mechanics in different ways and timings and still have it manageable.

There's no excuse for completely obfuscating character stats though. How much +hit do you need? How much critical hit chance does +crit get you? How much actual damage does improving your weapon get you? Not you! Well, unless you skim forums to find people breaking this down like it was WoW in 2006 or something. :geno:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asimo posted:

I feel like WoW comes up surprisingly rarely considering how much of the market it makes up. It's still there, and you can play it if you want, but what else is there to say? It's the NCIS of MMOs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

Seriously, it looks to me that almost literally every boss has that mechanic where you have to kill a bunch of adds before the boss uses Instant Wipe Attack.

theres some advantages but boss limit breaks are a bit overused. Then again it is final fantasy so...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like WoW comes up surprisingly rarely considering how much of the market it makes up. It's still there, and you can play it if you want, but what else is there to say? It's the NCIS of MMOs.

WoW's community seems very weird and insular to me. The game still has a huge number of subscribers but I cant remember the last time I talked to someone who played. Its as if its become part of Blizzard's self contained eco system of games from which people rarely every poke their heads out to talk to non-Blizzard fans.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Except for Overwatch fans, they're everywhere.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, Overwatch is the big massive game that is broadly popular. Its like WoW was during the WotLK era.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

WoW's community seems very weird and insular to me. The game still has a huge number of subscribers but I cant remember the last time I talked to someone who played. Its as if its become part of Blizzard's self contained eco system of games from which people rarely every poke their heads out to talk to non-Blizzard fans.

Greetings

I think part of it is that it's just been around for so long that its presence is accepted and playing it isn't really seen as noteworthy

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

Imo people view wow as something polite people don't talk about enjoying, like anime or having a bat. FF14 people are the weebs who explain why madoka isn't actually paedo bait to you at a party.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Byolante posted:

Imo people view wow as something polite people don't talk about enjoying, like anime or having a bat. FF14 people are the weebs who explain why madoka isn't actually paedo bait to you at a party.

Spot on

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

I only have (e:)3 friends who are still wow subscribers and they never ever do anything outside of wow. Ever

One of them has a thing for thai box and stuff, but all his spare time aside from training is 100% wow time

If you have friends like this you can talk to them through bnet chat for the most part, though sometimes they may delete you so you can't see when they are on/off, and then blame you for deleting them. If that happens don't worry, its just normal decade+ addiction behavior

These brave men and women have been at it for all those years. They have all the achievments, even the impossible ones. They have the zulian tiger from the BMAH, they have an emerald drake. Hats off srsly

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 2, 2017

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
WoW is a game I play off and on. The on times is usually when I figure something new might have happened, or something has improved through a patch or something. The off times is when the realization sets in that doing ANYTHING else with the time I spent playing it would've been more rewarding and not feel (as) wasted. It generally boils down to where I'm more interested in the podcast I'm listening to than actually playing the game on screen. The only other MMO I feel this way about is Guild Wars 2, but at least that doesn't have a $15 subscription fee.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Colgate posted:

It generally boils down to where I'm more interested in the podcast I'm listening to than actually playing the game on screen.

I only sub to WoW when I need to listen to a shitload of podcasts.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I resubbed to WoW after they did their "1 month + all expansions free" promo before Legion came out and now I raid twice a week :(

Probably don't log on for anything else though except to maybe do my emissary chests a couple times a week.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MisterZimbu posted:

I resubbed to WoW after they did their "1 month + all expansions free" promo before Legion came out and now I raid twice a week :(

Probably don't log on for anything else though except to maybe do my emissary chests a couple times a week.

The all expansions thing is just how it works now. You only need to buy an expansion while it's current, once a new one drops you're set

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I resub to WoW every few months. Spend a month flying my helicopter upside-down and trying old raids armed with a fishing pole or a level 1 bow and a sporebat.

I find it fun.
Then I wander off after 2 months at the most and do other things.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I tried this mess of a game.

And it made me re-subscribe to World of Warcraft, thanks a lot Wildstar.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So is this game still an unfun pile of dumpster fires despite sounding good on paper or have they changed the gameplay/pace/etc in the last year?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Game bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

RagnarokZ posted:

I tried this mess of a game.

And it made me re-subscribe to World of Warcraft, thanks a lot Wildstar.

What was the population like while you were playing?

• Locked thread