Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
App13
Dec 31, 2011

Has it started to feel like "your house" yet? Or is it still just a construction site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

App13 posted:

Has it started to feel like "your house" yet? Or is it still just a construction site

Painting has helped. I think once we have the floors, it will really tie the rooms together.

Got a $6k estimate for exterior walkways, a set of stairs, & some flower beds around them from the landscaper. About what we expected from a past job.

Cable getting installed in 2 weeks. Should have internet before move-in, yay.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

I think once we have the floors, it will really tie the rooms together.

Or a rug

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

thank you friend.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Is it a minimum height from the floor/step thing maybe?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

embrace the zig zag

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TheMightyHandful posted:

Its a right angle was easier thing

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

TheMightyHandful posted:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its a right angle was easier thing

How would adding three right angles make anything easier?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Stitecin posted:

How would adding three right angles make anything easier?

Oh yeaaaaa I missed that first angle, that is just all around stupid. I would never have done it that way. At first I thought they were avoiding anything besides a 45. I think code is 34 inches

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 2, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TheMightyHandful posted:

Yeah, I guess they have to be between 34"-38"

Here's what we're going to propose to the inspector

The right-angle on the right, when you put a spindle right below it, it looks a lot less awkward.

Right now, there are 5 right angles there. I'd be happy to get it down to 2.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wouldn't a curved bannister be the most elegant solution?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
They trimmed it out before finishing painting?

Good luck on the handrail. That stuff is really expensive, hopefully you get something that looks nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Wouldn't a curved bannister be the most elegant solution?

Probably, but also more expensive.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's to prevent hoodlum skateboard punks

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

They trimmed it out before finishing painting?

Yup.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

I bet your painter is stoked about that :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

MrEnigma posted:

"You can just tape it, right?"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MrEnigma posted:

In fairness, bitching about how the other trades are all assholes making your job harder is like, 90% of a job in the trades anyway.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Actually it's more like 70%, 20% is planning how to make the other trades jobs harder, and the remaining time is actually doing your job.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Plumbers and the electricians both want to go first since the second one has to run their lines around the first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

Plumbers and the electricians both want to go first since the second one has to run their lines around the first.

You forgot HVAC.

(from the Crappy Construction Tales thread)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

In fairness, bitching about how the other trades are all assholes making your job harder is like, 90% of a job in the trades anyway.

Painters are the only ones that are outright suicidal. I delivered for Sherwin-Williams for a year or so back in the day, and the number of times I saw some beardy painter spraying solvent thinned laquer in a closed house while smoking...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Liquid Communism posted:

Painters are the only ones that are outright suicidal. I delivered for Sherwin-Williams for a year or so back in the day, and the number of times I saw some beardy painter spraying solvent thinned laquer in a closed house while smoking...
Haha, yeah, we had a guy on a job who would go in to do the initial primer spray on each townhome, and he'd walk out completely white, save for a goggle-shaped area around his eyes. No clear area where a respirator or even a dust mask would have been of course though.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I bet I get some hate here, but gently caress you I wanted them.

Shutters:

Stained stairs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gounads posted:

I bet I get some hate here, but gently caress you I wanted them.

Shutters:

Shutters are fine if they don't look like ridiculous caricatures of shutters.

Gounads posted:

Stained stairs:

I can never look at those stairs without chuckling at that bannister. I know the building code constrains the design for that style of staircase, but SO MANY right angles to turn a corner.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gounads posted:

Shutters:

Looks great!

Gounads posted:

Stained stairs:

I'm sure if you had some curved pieces it would be up to code, not sure why they didn't just do that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

I'm sure if you had some curved pieces it would be up to code, not sure why they didn't just do that.

Where are you going to get the curved pieces that are the right diameter for this specific use case? How much are you willing to pay for them?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Where are you going to get the curved pieces that are the right diameter for this specific use case? How much are you willing to pay for them?

I don't know about this specific case but I have friends who make railings and things of that nature. They seem to figure out how to bend wood and metal just fine, I guess a few feet of bent wood is too expensive though...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

I don't know about this specific case but I have friends who make railings and things of that nature. They seem to figure out how to bend wood and metal just fine, I guess a few feet of bent wood is too expensive though...

Yeah, it's not that it's not possible, it's that it's a hell of a lot more expensive to do a custom-fit job than it is to assemble a slightly clunkier solution out of prefabricated parts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

flosofl posted:

I can never look at those stairs without chuckling at that bannister. I know the building code constrains the design for that style of staircase, but SO MANY right angles to turn a corner.

I'm really curious what the plans showed for that section, or if it was just a generalized small square showing "bannister | -- X" -- | stair" as the code requirement.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I'm really curious what the plans showed for that section, or if it was just a generalized small square showing "bannister | -- X" -- | stair" as the code requirement.

I doubt that the plans are so detailed as to show the bannister. At most they'd say "bannister on this wall installed according to code", but I think even that is basically implicit in submitting plans that have a staircase at all.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Generally almost everything is ordered through someone like L. J. Smith (or really a vendor who orders through them).

They offer insane amounts of types of railing and connectors.

http://www.ljsmith.com/products.aspx?category=1&page=84

They are also amazingly pricey, but they all work together fairly easily, and are solid.

Edit: The shutters look good I think. My biggest hate with shutters are when they couldn't possibly work on the window if they were real. Yours could pass for legit (not sure why that matters really, but it feels better anyways).

Edit2: We have wood floor on the first floor, and all white trim. We ended up going with painted white posts/ballusters/railing for the landing area (and top of the stairs). But the railing itself is stained. Kind of wish we would have kept with the white posts and done stained handrails for everything. They look really nice in white, but get dirty, probably like your toe kick areas on your stairs will get.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 5, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Cabinets arrived and they started putting them in a day early.

Decorative fake beams

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Exposed beams look great, even if they are fake. Shutters look alright as well, but they do look a little small, as if they wouldn't cover the whole window. The stain on the stairs and banister look great, but you've gotta do something about all those 90s, that's just awful. If it's just a code stickler, I'd get some spare pieces and fix it after inspection.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

CBJamo posted:

Exposed beams look great, even if they are fake. Shutters look alright as well, but they do look a little small, as if they wouldn't cover the whole window. The stain on the stairs and banister look great, but you've gotta do something about all those 90s, that's just awful. If it's just a code stickler, I'd get some spare pieces and fix it after inspection.

That's the kind of thing paranoid-me wouldn't put in writing on internet forums. I mean, there is at least one banned goon that narced.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gounads posted:

That's the kind of thing paranoid-me wouldn't put in writing on internet forums. I mean, there is at least one banned goon that narced.

eh he is back, just didnt give him his avatar back :smithfrog:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What I wonder about that bannister is how does it feel to use? If it feels fine I'd just leave it, personally. It looks a little weird, but there's so much other stuff to get done that something that just looks weird is really not any kind of priority.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What I wonder about that bannister is how does it feel to use? If it feels fine I'd just leave it, personally. It looks a little weird, but there's so much other stuff to get done that something that just looks weird is really not any kind of priority.

Dunno about the first bend, it's hard to tell since we're still paying attention to everything. But I don't even reach for it in the corner, it would be weird to walk all the way on the outside there.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe I missed it, but is it a personal preference thing to have the stairs curve around the corner as opposed to a flat landing/90 degree turn?

Are the extra zig zags a requirement to meet height/distance to the stair tread, so the turn makes it wonkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Last_Taste posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is it a personal preference thing to have the stairs curve around the corner as opposed to a flat landing/90 degree turn?

Are the extra zig zags a requirement to meet height/distance to the stair tread, so the turn makes it wonkey?

We didn't like the turning-stair thing very much from the start. A landing would have required a longer stair run since you lose 2 step-ups, I think 18"? In hindsight, I wish I had the builder just make the house 18" bigger to fit it.

And yes to the second question.

• Locked thread