Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Used to have an old Grey Kirby from back in the 80's, but it ended up getting lost in storage or something thanks to an idiot.

Still have one of the g3's from the early aughts, No where near as good as the older one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I am 100% convinced, based on this thread because I don't actually watch their stuff anymore, that they have spent the last 5 months doing nothing but working on a cafeteria scene. I hope somebody does a supercut some day of the like dozen hours of footage they have of developers and artists describing the intense levels of effort people have put into getting this weak-rear end shot of spacemen eating some food, instead of doing anything remotely related to flying or fighting. At this point half of SQ42 better take place around the god drat lunch table?

Okay, I can't really believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to sorta defend CIG here.

I think that their obsession with the lunch room scene is because it's a complex case that they're using as a baseline for NPC behavior. Like, IIRC one of the first things to be designed in The Sims was the toilet, because it was such a complex item; It refills needs, men use it one way and women another, it can get dirty lowering room stats, it needs to be cleaned. Basically the toilet in The Sims encapsulated how many gameplay elements worked, so it was one of the first items to be worked on. I think CIG is treating the cafeteria scene similarly, it contains many of the elements that they've talked about in their NPC behavior Ads promo's.

Of course, even my speculation is true, this still isn't a very rosy picture for CIG, because that would mean that watching a half dozen NPC's eat lunch shows much of their core NPC behavior elements. Not exactly a living breathing universe. Also, that it's still being worked on, even now, five years into development is... worrying, to say the least.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

This is peak Dyson

It's different applications of one technology, which is the brushless motor, or the thing that makes drones.

From the bladeless fan (the blades are in the base), to the hand dryer (It's an awkward handdryer with high pressure air) and the hand vacuum (Brushless motor in a tube).

Seriously, I was a huge fan of the DC01, but everything since coming up with the graduated vortex (and this was nicked from industry; a cyclonic separators are common for sorting particulates) has been a retread of a single thing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

OTOH, thanks to that video, I got curious, and if I had any maker skills at all, I could now build one.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Viscous Soda posted:

Okay, I can't really believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to sorta defend CIG here.

I think that their obsession with the lunch room scene is because it's a complex case that they're using as a baseline for NPC behavior. Like, IIRC one of the first things to be designed in The Sims was the toilet, because it was such a complex item; It refills needs, men use it one way and women another, it can get dirty lowering room stats, it needs to be cleaned. Basically the toilet in The Sims encapsulated how many gameplay elements worked, so it was one of the first items to be worked on. I think CIG is treating the cafeteria scene similarly, it contains many of the elements that they've talked about in their NPC behavior Ads promo's.

Of course, even my speculation is true, this still isn't a very rosy picture for CIG, because that would mean that watching a half dozen NPC's eat lunch shows much of their core NPC behavior elements. Not exactly a living breathing universe. Also, that it's still being worked on, even now, five years into development is... worrying, to say the least.

I get what your saying, but your example is the Sims. The core gameplay mechanics revolve around the interactions that you mentioned in the toilet, but those interactions exist throughout the rest of the game. So it takes forever to design that system, but then it's used in pretty much every other room. Contrast to Star Citizen, who are really working hard on that cafeteria scene, but unless we've massively misunderstood things, the core gameplay of Star Citizen does not revolve around the cafeteria.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

I get what your saying, but your example is the Sims. The core gameplay mechanics revolve around the interactions that you mentioned in the toilet, but those interactions exist throughout the rest of the game. So it takes forever to design that system, but then it's used in pretty much every other room. Contrast to Star Citizen, who are really working hard on that cafeteria scene, but unless we've massively misunderstood things, the core gameplay of Star Citizen does not revolve around the cafeteria.

Oh, you didn't see the RTV on the gameplay change?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lethality: Marketing genius.

Customer _retention_ is a thing, but once they're gone, it's harder to get them back.

That's what the perceived value is for.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 5, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Samizdata posted:

Oh, you didn't see the RTV on the gameplay change?

Hmm. Is it now cafeteria simulator?

Because I could totally get behind simulating a bleak existence as a can't retire cafeteria worker in a middle school

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

Hmm. Is it now cafeteria simulator?

Because I could totally get behind simulating a bleak existence as a can't retire cafeteria worker in a middle school

The C in SC is NOT for Citizen. Can't WAIT for the ultimate fidelity of ladling mac and cheese! You have to work 8 hours in RT or you lose your job and can't afford your wankpod. The FPS action comes in when tracking down malcontents that skip the cashier...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drunk Theory posted:

Minimum Viable Pcafeteria

The P is silent :ssh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Wow. I love it when CIG people show no respect to backers. Just got this in my email....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mods please change my name to "Posting In A Hostile Manner"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Minimum Viable Pcafeteria

The P is silent :ssh:

Cut that alien language crap out RIGHT NOW! I am UEC and this is a UEC site! SPEAK UECian (or whatever they call it) LIKE A REAL CITIZEN!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

the reason you're seeing so much cafeteria stuff is that there's a big mess hall scene in sq42 (probably several, but the leaks back mid last year only talked about one scene)

it was supposed to have dozens of NPCs, all with their own personalities and you can interact with them in various ways and then you get called into battle

they've been working on this one loving scene for over 18 months

for about 20 minutes of gameplay

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/860255845115981824
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/860403112879771648
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/860439334960451584

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hav posted:

It's different applications of one technology, which is the brushless motor, or the thing that makes drones.

From the bladeless fan (the blades are in the base), to the hand dryer (It's an awkward handdryer with high pressure air) and the hand vacuum (Brushless motor in a tube).

Seriously, I was a huge fan of the DC01, but everything since coming up with the graduated vortex (and this was nicked from industry; a cyclonic separators are common for sorting particulates) has been a retread of a single thing.

As an amateur aerodynamics dork that also has dabbled with min/maxing HVAC systems for grow rooms and glass/welding shops, nothing I've seen made by dyson rubs me as anything but a dumb gimmick/existing technology repackaged in a way attempting to make it appear futuristic but work markedly worse. It's ironic, because of my engineer oriented friends I think I'm the only artistically inclined and also the only one that even cares about aesthetics. Functional>Looks Rad!>Inexpensive: you can only pick 2

If CIG actually manages an MVP they will basically be the dyson of games but every day they are looking more like Theranos.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

the reason you're seeing so much cafeteria stuff is that there's a big mess hall scene in sq42 (probably several, but the leaks back mid last year only talked about one scene)

it was supposed to have dozens of NPCs, all with their own personalities and you can interact with them in various ways and then you get called into battle

BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO SPOIL ANYTHING! :reddit:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh, is that the new defense now? Other games have referral programs so why isn't anyone complaining?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yo don't quote me on this but I heard that some pedophiles also happen to be redditors we should archive and be wary of all of them.

All. Of. Them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If I had the choice of playing Star Citizen or chilling in a cafeteria I'd be grabbing a coffee, so for once I think CIG have their priorities in order

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh, is that the new defense now? Other games have referral programs so why isn't anyone complaining?

It's closely related to the 'calling Elite bad makes Star Citizen good' gene

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the gently caress is wrong with these people
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/858060291019616256/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LOL. How hard is this dickhead projecting here?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

So the real question is, what movie or sci-fi property did Chris Roberts crib the mess hall idea from? Is Pusher going to shank someone and shout "YOU'RE TRAPPED IN HERE WITH ME" ?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

As an amateur aerodynamics dork that also has dabbled with min/maxing HVAC systems for grow rooms and glass/welding shops,

:allears:

Thoatse posted:

nothing I've seen made by dyson rubs me as anything but a dumb gimmick/existing technology repackaged in a way attempting to make it appear futuristic but work markedly worse.

Yep. I'm really critical of the airblade for having the ergonomics of a brick. It's vaguely unusable.

Drunk Theory posted:

The first defense is usually 'Everyone else was killing jews, so I went along with it'. (Example may contain hyperbole.)

tooterfish posted:

LOL. How hard is this dickhead projecting here?

Before or after the libel?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

So the real question is, what movie or sci-fi property did Chris Roberts crib the mess hall idea from? Is Pusher going to shank someone and shout "YOU'RE TRAPPED IN HERE WITH ME" ?
I'm assuming aliens

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

I'm assuming aliens

Aliens 3, or Guardians of the Galaxy has the prison break.

I'm now wondering how the events of Squadron 42 would look like from the salad station in the cafeteria.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

Before or after the libel?
During.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

And that doesn't track the fruit baskets and other poo poo he sends them weekly

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure when his spaceship investment quadruples we'll be sorry

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

So, if we assume they are going to release roughly 1 minute of gameplay for every month they've worked on it, a Sq42 with say 20 hours of playable content would take them 100 years?
:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Man, I can't wait to see their reaction when this poo poo-show collapses.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheAgent posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

I'm sure when his spaceship investment quadruples we'll be sorry

Admittedly, once one of those $4,000 ships is worth $16,000 I will certainly sigh heavily while reaching into my wallet.

Or I could play the game?

Or CIG won't stop selling the ships and then backers will just say that its to allow them to pay for the servers. Probably that one.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

And that doesn't track the fruit baskets and other poo poo he sends them weekly

This is one of the guys that should be under suicide watch. That's more than just a financial investment.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Or CIG won't stop selling the ships and then backers will just say that its to allow them to pay for the servers. Probably that one.

"Donate more and we finish quicker".

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
how is it that people profit on the grey market when there is no real shortage of ships or features and you'd just have to wait until they put everything on sale again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Someone ask him if he owns his own home, or is still renting.