Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

potatoducks posted:

Yeah #1 just too selfish to care much about compared to increased ease of parking. #4 maybe but at some point there will be enough lanes to fit all the people in the world and life will be great. Maybe when flying cars come and we have sky lanes. Also, I think the title of the article is misleading. I think the study found that traffic actually stayed the same, not increased.

Guilty for sure. But I think more than half of Americans live in suburbs so :shrug:

You're providing a really good example of why the human mind can't solve distant, abstract problems like global warming. You see something you think might make your life easier right now, so how could there possibly be any consequences in the future?

You wouldn't need parking if you lived in an area where the things you needed to get to were close to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It pretty much is running up a giant credit card balance on a massive scale. Both figuratively (carbon emissions) and literally (the cost at a municipal and personal level of needing vehicles for everyone and the infrastructure and land to support them). BWM for sure

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yet another opportunity for me to remind everyone to read the Strong Towns blog (https://www.strongtowns.org/) which spells out in painstaking detail (math!) why you shouldn't center your urban planning around making things as convenient as possible for motorists.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city adopted pedestrian-oriented planning codes a while ago. A team of "business consultants" brought in by the commissioners just hosed it all up by advocating bigger parking lots as a solution to our declining shopping mall corridor.

The shopping mall was declining along with every other mall in the country. And the surrounding businesses were suffering because they're built along a highway, and doing anything there is a huge pain in the rear end.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

ate all the Oreos posted:

Some guy said if you kinda squint you can model every process in society as some kind of exponential curve. The poster then draws the dubious conclusion that as a result equality is impossible, or something.

ok it's Gabaix. Not good at giving art school explanations, sorry, pick up what you'd like, this paper is for econ folks so it barely has any math in it. many things in power law land barely have any math in it lol, or have high school math

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~xgabaix/papers/pl-ar.pdf

Basically, power laws (not exponential curves... integral of exponential curve is finite, integral of power law curve in certain domain is not, very often power laws are at the edge of that domain. think of the horn of Gabriel if you ever learned it in calculus class) are generally omnipresent in nature. People put forth variegated processes to explain this but because it spans like two dozen fields, they are probably all bullshit. But it's not bullshit, the claim that money itself in certain domains takes upon a power law character. MEJ Newman in his very friendly review(https://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1062) claims that you can shove most of these into two claims: positive feedback effects or universal criticality effects (sometimes self-organized sometimes not), esp in percolation phase transition.

Gabaix claims positive feedback effect, along with other random phenomena. This is pretty usual in capitalism because it's called capitalism, there's a loving positive feedback effect on money, Jesus Christ noted this fact, Matthew 13:12 "For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.", the fundamental activity of capitalism is loaning money to people and getting it back with interest

actual study of this is reaaaal difficult, given that poo poo starts showing up at n=20k or whatever and by definition the top category will be of super loving low cardinality.

tldr: you show me an equal society wrt money, I show you a crock of poo poo. you can futz with parameters (eg: sweden is more equal than angola) but you can't change the functional form (it's still the case that one dude in sweden owns an appreciable percentage of all of the loving money)

not even communism helps

god is dead

dehumanize, face to bloodshed

curufinor fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 5, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

curufinor posted:

not even communism helps

not kidding

http://www.roiw.org/1993/23.pdf
fits lognormal distribution to USSR income distribution. lognormal is similar in power law in that it's got huge loving kurtosis out the rear end and dissimilar in that mean is never literally infinite (but mean can be quite deranged wrt median, lookit that skew). discriminating betw. power law and lognormal is a difficult game. but it's definitely of the same functional form as the capitalist economies

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Same.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You're going to be a professor someday with how little you've attempted to simplify your explanations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

To be fair for them I'm sure this is equivalent to me scoffing at preppers until the entire government collapses and I wish I had bought nothing but high-caliber ammunition. In their mind it makes no rational sense to distrust an establishment that served the previous generation.
Yeah, it is unlikely that the entire government will collapse. But think of it this way- the current public pension fund (at least here in Canada) gives you poverty-level income at its best. But now there's an unprecedented amount of seniors who're living longer than ever, so there're be even less funds to go around. So at the end of the day, the next generations of retirees will only get less money than the generations before them unless the public pensions systems gets a magical injection capital (lol).

Play it safe, and assume that there won't be a government pension headed your way when you retire.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now if only I made enough money to save for retirement :smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69cchg/buying_empty_lot_adjacent_to_my_house_to_keep_it/

Man wants to take out a second mortgage or cash out his stocks to buy an empty lot across the street and keep it empty to make sure nobody moves in.

It's a nice sentiment dude, but maybe just let your son and his friends play in your backyard?

quote:

Buying empty lot adjacent to my house to keep it an empty lot?

So, I have a question for the PF minded among us as to if this is a good idea or not. I live in a neighborhood that was a development about half an hour outside a major metropolitan area where the houses were all built in the early 2000's (2004-2006 right before things went sideways). About 3/4 of the lots in the area had houses on them when the market tanked, and the remaining 1/4 have slowly been building up as time goes on.

To put it into perspective, this is all SFH's on 1/4-1/3 an acre, usually a split or modified split with a 3 car garage and 3-5 bedrooms, 2500 square feet. Average home price is currently about 210k, and the market is pretty decent right now.

Anyway, the last few lots in my neighborhood have now all been built on except for one more which is situated directly across the street from me. I have a 7 year old son and within a block of me we have about 10 more kids 6-9 who all are friends and play in the area (at someone's house or in the yards or whatever... it's very much that 60's style "Go play I'll call you in for dinner" sort of thing).
I'd like the lot across the street to stay empty, as it's fairly centrally located and they kids run through there all the time, and play kickball and things there all the time now.

Is an empty lot at all a decent idea to purchase? I don't intend on doing anything with it other than keeping it mowed, and maybe get a bigger play system (think rainbow play system or something) for all the kids to play on.

It's not really a question of whether I can afford it, but I'll give you the rundown on numbers anyway:

Only debt is my house, I owe 230k at 4.25%, house is worth 260 conservatively.

Income is 120k salary a year, 30k stock (at current market value) per year. I currently max a 401(k), Roth IRA (backdoor), max an HSA, and have a relatively decent amount going to a 529 until it's funded to my satisfaction. I have 4 months emergency fund in liquid assets, and about 40k in brokerage.

Lot would be a 25k or so purchase.

AND SO THE QUESTIONS:

Is this a stupid idea?

Can you take out a mortgage for a property you have no intention of homesteading?

Would it make sense to pull money out of the market and drop into the property? I don't have much portfolio exposure to real estate... that could help that?

Thanks for looking/any answers I can get.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Talk about NIMBY :psyduck:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Dude sounds like he has all his bases covered. Could be a lot worse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective, it's some of the other implications I'm not a fan of. One big lot isn't enough for my family, let's take two.

It's one of those things that's fine on a small scale but if every neighborhood does it, it increases sprawl significantly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghostnuke posted:

Dude sounds like he has all his bases covered. Could be a lot worse.

He's got a high income and (except for a decent mortgage) not much debt.

But just lol at the idea that he needs to buy a lot because he'd rather have his kid and his friends play kickball there instead of his backyard.

And to try and justify it by saying that he doesn't have a lot of market exposure to real estate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just gonna post the title for this one.

quote:

Need a vehicle for work. Credit is bad and I can't save enough for a down payment because I spend $600/month Ubering to work.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But just lol at the idea that he needs to buy a lot because he'd rather have his kid and his friends play kickball there instead of his backyard.

And to try and justify it by saying that he doesn't have a lot of market exposure to real estate.

He could buy it and donate it as a park or wildlife preserve for significant tax benefits. Alternatively, without even buying it, he could lobby the city to buy it for the same purpose, but that takes considerably more effort.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69cchg/buying_empty_lot_adjacent_to_my_house_to_keep_it/

Man wants to take out a second mortgage or cash out his stocks to buy an empty lot across the street and keep it empty to make sure nobody moves in.

It's a nice sentiment dude, but maybe just let your son and his friends play in your backyard?

My family sort of did this when I was a kid. There were still a few empty lots in our neighborhood, and my parents bought the one directly next to ours. We put in a sandbox, tree house, storage shed, zip-line, and tire swing. And we got to keep it wooded.

It was really pretty cool. Lots were cheap there though, so it wasn't a huge investment.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

1/4 acre lot with a 2500 sq. ft. house with a 3 car garage means they probably don't have much of a yard

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Another "How did this even happen before you turned 20?" story from the Army.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68xwlp/20m_leaving_army_with_nothing_but_debt/

quote:

20M, leaving Army with nothing but debt.

I'm a 20 year old currently in the US Army. I was told today I was being chaptered/kicked out due to being accused of domestic violence by my wife. The case that they referenced to kick me out has since been dropped and I was found innocent, but they've made their decision already. I'm getting out in 2-4 weeks, with a general under honorable conditions discharge. I've been in just two years.

My current plan is to move back to Florida and quickly find a job to get paid, while getting my real estate license and doing that on the side to transition to a better job and maybe get extra money. After my wife had me arrested she threw away/took everything inside of our apartment, and took my vehicle.

At the moment, my current possessions and financial situation are:

2017 Honda Civic that I bought for her that I now have: 24k owed, 500 dollar payments, monthly. 14% interest.
A pair of khakis, a pair of sweats, 12 pairs of white socks, a collared shirt, a t shirt, and three white t shirts.
Some dishes.
2,000 some dollars owed on the wedding ring.
2,500 dollars owed on a personal loan, 20-25% interest, around there.
1,100 credit card debt, relatively low interest.
Cox internet bill that I have to pay off, and ATT bill that I have to pay off along with the new phone I bought her. Probably rounds out to 1,500 or 2,000 to be honest.

As I said earlier, my plan now is to get to florida as soon as possible, find a minimum wage or whatever job that will hire me on the spot, get money, and do real estate part time and try to pay off debt as soon as possible. If anyone has any tips or advice to give, I'm game to hear it. I will be moving back in with my father, into the room I had before.

My wife and I are still married, I currently can't afford to file for divorce.

The army really needs to just let people co-habitate or ban wives from the bases. The amount of married 18-year olds is crazy.

They also have a new mandated financial education class for all recruits, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop these situations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

They also have a new mandated financial education class for all recruits, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop these situations.
That's because all anybody ever does is cheat on the tests to get credit.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There are a lot of payday and rent-to-own places that prey on army bases.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68xwlp/20m_leaving_army_with_nothing_but_debt/

The army really needs to just let people co-habitate or ban wives from the bases. The amount of married 18-year olds is crazy.

I figure when you're putting your life on your line for your job you're probably not thinking about your future (financial or otherwise) too closely, so it might be tough to fix this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In theory the Army is GWM in that you get fed and clothed and paid and poo poo, but it's actually BWM because dumb rear end 18 year olds with a secure social safety net gonna spend money they don't have on motorcycles/cars/booze/women.

It should be illegal to get married until you make E-4. If you can't make E-4 you're too stupid to live.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't want to internet detective the guy, but a quick peek shows him posting about meeting a stripper 10 months ago, married her, got her pregnant, and now this divorce mess is happening all within the same year. That's bad with life, not just money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't want to internet detective the guy, but a quick peek shows him posting about meeting a stripper 10 months ago, married her, got her pregnant, and now this divorce mess is happening all within the same year. That's bad with life, not just money.

that is a tale as old as time

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twerk from Home posted:

If you remove the stripper part, then that is about 50% of all Army Marriages under the age of 21.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Well, we wouldn't want to lose anybody of import while trying to export american exceptionalism for the benefit of our corporate overlords.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

If you remove the stripper part, then that is about 50% of all Army Marriages under the age of 21.

That figure seems like a lowball imho

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

I've been lead to believe if you're going to trade in every few years you should just lease instead. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Lease deals vary from great to terrible, it is completely dependent on the manufacturer and your negotiating/timing. Leasing a car off the dealer lot near the end of the model year is often a fantastic deal, for example.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective, it's some of the other implications I'm not a fan of. One big lot isn't enough for my family, let's take two.

It's one of those things that's fine on a small scale but if every neighborhood does it, it increases sprawl significantly.

This is why I support Georgist land taxes. Buy all the land you want and keep it unimproved, but have property taxes based on the value of the land without taxing the improvements.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Just gonna post the title for this one.

That's depressing as hell, and a very easy situation for someone to get trapped in if they live somewhere with no public transit.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think it sounds crazy at all. It's cheap, and it might be a good investment after his kids grow up - they could build a house there and rent it out. As long as he doesn't keep bidding up and pay more than he is expecting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's depressing as hell, and a very easy situation for someone to get trapped in if they live somewhere with no public transit.

In the post he says that he doesn't want to uber to a bus stop because he doesn't like public transportation and that he doesn't want to bother his coworkers by asking to carpool because he just started a new shift.

Also, he was rejected for a payday loan.

He's in a bad situation, but his goony awkwardness and previous financial issues are stopping him from being able to be bailed out.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 5, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lease deals vary from great to terrible, it is completely dependent on the manufacturer and your negotiating/timing. Leasing a car off the dealer lot near the end of the model year is often a fantastic deal, for example.

Makes sense, since that's when you should buy as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't think it sounds crazy at all. It's cheap, and it might be a good investment after his kids grow up - they could build a house there and rent it out. As long as he doesn't keep bidding up and pay more than he is expecting.

Asking if you can take a mortgage out on it raises a few flags to me.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Makes sense, since that's when you should buy as well.

A lease is really just an alternative way of financing a car. Instead of financing purchase price, you're financing the use of a certain amount of depreciation of the vehicle (hence the mileage limits). Provided you don't put money down, and you stay within mileage limits, leasing is a good financial decision if you want a new car every 24-39 mos. Of course, buying a slightly used Prius and driving it in to the ground is a better financial decision, but provided you can afford a small premium and are disciplined about your distances driven, leasing is a good idea.

It is also useful if you are a business owner who uses a car for work as you can deduct the lease costs as a business expense, but this is a bit of an edge case for most.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Also, he was rejected for a payday loan.

:aaaaa: I didn't even know that was physically possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

paragon1 posted:

:aaaaa: I didn't even know that was physically possible.

Me either.

He also says that he is close enough to bike to work, but that he doesn't do it because it "is a death sentence."

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Me either.

He also says that he is close enough to bike to work, but that he doesn't do it because it "is a death sentence."

That's entirely possible though. Some streets are not meant for bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BarbarianElephant posted:

How do you follow with this when I said "Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective?" I'm not talking about whether it's a good investment. It's bad from a social* and city-planning perspective - in my opinion, but YMMV.

*talking about bigger picture, not him and the 4 or 5 families that directly benefit from his underground park.