Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

the yellow dart posted:

I think this is true just in general. I finally got a bottle of Pliny when I went on a work trip to SD, and while it was really good, I felt like it was especially good for 2010, and I could find similarly good things where I live on the East Coast. The proliferation of craft beer is a great and terrible thing, that has slayed whalez and palates across the world.

Yeah but that also fails to consider that many of the "classics that aren't as good now" are still pretty unique tasting. Hopslam and Plin(e)y don't blow me away now like they did a couple years ago but there still isn't anything that has that same flavor so I'll still buy them. I buy lots of stuff that I know won't be as good as something else that's easier to get but it's different and that's half the fun sometimes. But also I don't care when AB buys out craft breweries so maybe I'm just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

MunchE posted:

I don't disagree with you and it's why I actively try to buy local options whenever possible. Just looking at the reality of it there's no real loss for the brewery taking the buyout. TBH, the only thing they lose is their street cred, and based on the behavior of Golden Road/Breckenridge/10 Barrel with their PR tour it's kind of embarrassing how they really thought they could just take the buyout and keep all of their "We're part of a small community!" perks.

But two things that always pop up during this poo poo bug me:
"OMG THE BEER IS RUINED NOW" which is rarely the case and most of the time the beer that was widely distroed was already pretty poo poo
Those same people whining that the beer is ruined now not batting an eye to lineup for the next batch of whalez from that same brewery

This is how I feel about it, I like Wicked Weed but never really cared about tapes like Elysian or 10 Barrel or Goose Island outside of the clybourne stuff and most of theiir consumers pre-buyout probably also didn't care enough to get angry about it. There will always be something new and fun for the hardcore.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

Yeah but that also fails to consider that many of the "classics that aren't as good now" are still pretty unique tasting. Hopslam and Plin(e)y don't blow me away now like they did a couple years ago but there still isn't anything that has that same flavor so I'll still buy them. I buy lots of stuff that I know won't be as good as something else that's easier to get but it's different and that's half the fun sometimes. But also I don't care when AB buys out craft breweries so maybe I'm just bad.

This raises an interesting note for me - I've noticed a lot of the big get DIPA+ beers of a few years past are freaking SWEET and malty for today's tastes. When I drink PtE today, it's still a dry west coast IPA that is incredibly well executed. I can always enjoy that. But if I go drink something like Hopslam or 90 Minute (or ffs 120 Minute) it tastes like I'm drinking hop syrup. Just too god damned sweet. I used to loving LOVE Avery Maharaja but now I can barely finish a pint of the stuff. There used to be a pretty common mentality that was "The sweetness balances the bitterness of the hops" but hosed if I can stand to drink beers designed for that mindset anymore.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Munkaboo posted:

Are you at the funkatorium or the other location? I'm going to Asheville in a few weeks.

Neither. I'm in packaging so I work at the two production facilities that don't have tap rooms. Hit me up when you're in town and maybe we can grab a pint.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

He had to sell Virtue because he was in massive debt to his suppliers.

Yeah, Virtues ciders are really tasty, but it was hard to justify the expensive price tag for their stuff ($20+ for a 750).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 5, 2017

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Yeah, Virtues stuff was really tasty, but it was hard to justify the expensive price tag for their stuff ($20+ for a 750).

Someone pointed out a few pages back that they've shifted a few of their offerings (including The Mitten) into 4 packs. Binny's website is showing these ranging from $10 to $14, which is significantly better than before.

But what I really want is Percheron in 4 packs so I can buy a case and sit on them for a long rear end time...

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Has anyone had Victory's Berliner Weisse with Elderflower before? I saw a cases for $10 the other day. Is it garbage or good enough for 10$

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

atothesquiz posted:

Has anyone had Victory's Berliner Weisse with Elderflower before? I saw a cases for $10 the other day. Is it garbage or good enough for 10$

Their Cherry Gose was pretty drat decent so I would be willing to take a gamble on *rereads post to check if it was six or four packs* wait, I hope you're messing that up because any berliner that's $10 for twelve of them is a steal.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
That Victory berliner is probably a year old at this point, and is clearance priced.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

WaffleStomp posted:

That Victory berliner is probably a year old at this point, and is clearance priced.

Exactly. Worth the gamble for 24 bottles at $10?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

atothesquiz posted:

42 cents a bottle?! Cheaper than water!

Some guy on BA said it was unremarkable and that the flowers should be taken out. *Gives beer 3.59*

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

atothesquiz posted:

I'd say so, depending on your tolerance for elderflower.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

atothesquiz posted:

Worth the gamble for 24 bottles at $10?

$0.42 per bottle of beer isn't really a gamble.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

No thanks :laffo:

http://prairieales.com/index.php/2017/05/05/now-open-prairie-dawgs-member-only-club/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

$500 is a lot for 16 bottles

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eejit posted:

$30 each is pretty steep but that seems to be the going price of these bottle club thingies.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eejit posted:

500 is fair if you're getting 750ml bottles. That page doesn't mention size at all, and everything Prairie I've ever seen is in 12oz if stout or 500ml if sour.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They used to make sours in 750mL but I haven't seen any for a long time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lol at any one of you who pays $30 a bottle for any Prairie beer 750ml or not

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

If I wanted to pay way too loving much for a Prairie beer I'd just go to any bottle shop :rimshot:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Prairie Vous Francais was like $9 for a 750 and even then I thought it was slightly overpriced. Good but ehhhhh

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Flunky posted:

If I wanted to pay way too loving much for a Prairie beer I'd just go to any bottle shop :rimshot:

ha.

they made 3L bottles of Elizabeth (or however they loving spelled it), too- the night we opened ours ended up with like fifteen of us and two or three dogs hanging out in a friend's then-unopened restaurant (Metzger, for you RVA folks) getting wasted and smoking cigarettes until like two am.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm going to Lisbon in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with breweries or bars to check out? I've checked the BA Directory and didn't see much of anything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
krustster sent me some Swish and it is quite good.

But I still wonder why people would specifically trade for IPAs. This is better than I think any locals of similar style but not so much to justify what this goes for.

But if you do get your hands on it, it's probably the of these cloudy ones I've had.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

danbanana posted:

krustster sent me some Swish and it is quite good.

But I still wonder why people would specifically trade for IPAs. This is better than I think any locals of similar style but not so much to justify what this goes for.

But if you do get your hands on it, it's probably the of these cloudy ones I've had.

:c00l:

As someone who didn't trade for it though, I agree. Really tasty and I'm glad I got it but I can't imagine charging an arm and a leg for it, trade wise. Still, one of my favorite trub cans!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm going to Lisbon in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with breweries or bars to check out? I've checked the BA Directory and didn't see much of anything.

I didn't find anything beery while I was there but YMMV.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I love buying cheap stouts that are heavily marked down because they never sold

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Ratebeer directory has a couple of bars but what you want to do is just to drink all the vinho verde.

Portugal is ace.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're going to the Iberian peninsula for beer you've hosed up. Drink some wine, unless you're in the north then drink some cider.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're going to the Iberian peninsula for beer you've hosed up. Drink some wine, unless you're in the north then drink some cider.

This is correct. Get drunk on cheap wine and eat seafood.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Catfish Noodlin posted:

a well-traveled dude i internet-know said LisBeer and Cerveteca Lisboa are far and away the best beer spots in the city. his top food recommendations are Cervejaria Ramiro, Taberna da Rua das Flores, and Peixola, but those might be crazy expensive as the dude is pretty much Guatemalan aristocracy

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Madrid actually had some really good beer bars, I would go back to them

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spanish Manlove posted:

Barcelona has a bunch of good to great beer places, including a really nice Mikeller bar

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yes but Madrid and Barcelona are literally in a different country.

Speaking of different countries, I'm in a bar in east Berlin drinking Boneyard beers which are fresh as gently caress and not breaking the bank. Life is pretty good.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Kaiho posted:

Yes but Madrid and Barcelona are literally in a different country.

I think the Spanish government would dispute that assertion :colbert:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

the yellow dart posted:

I think the Spanish government would dispute that assertion :colbert:

They are talking about Portugal, not Spain, is what they meant. Madrid and Barcelona are in a separate country from Lisbon.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 7, 2017

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

well, it started when someone said the Iberian Peninsula, so...

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

well, it started when someone said the Iberian Peninsula, so...

YUP

Also I was surprised by how much I've enjoyed the BBA ginger bigfoot. I don't like the base beer that much (sorry hivemind!) and I don't typically like ginger in beers, but I'm a sucker for a corked expensive bottle so I bought, and its actually pretty good. They used candied ginger as opposed to the straight shot of normal ginger which tends to go astringent for me. I liked this quite a bit, although couldn't bring myself to finish the 750 because I like to remain above ground.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

the yellow dart posted:

Also I was surprised by how much I've enjoyed the BBA ginger bigfoot. I don't like the base beer that much (sorry hivemind!)

whoa, careful dude, you don't want to draw the ire of the sierra nevada apologists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kaiho posted:

Yes but Madrid and Barcelona are both in different countries.

There, that's better.

But it's good to see things have changed in the past five years. I do miss being able to cheaply buy manzanilla sherry almost anywhere when I lived in seville.