Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

The code patch fixes bugs and quirks with the engine while the patch project fixes more "in game" issues like broken quests and such. They don't conflict as far as I know and pretty much everyone uses them both.
Cool, just curious. I think I'm going to remod this with the better list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

in that case what you're thinking is called stamina is actually called fatigue. In the base game it's drained by everything but most importantly it's drained by running, which you're doing constantly. The speed and stamina mod I suggest makes running drain fatigue but very very slowly so you don't have to rest every few steps if you want to hit things.

interestingly enough, basically everything is affected by fatigue, including selling items.

*bursts into store out of breath* "p....please buy....these...boots"

That's what it was. I remember there was conversation in some thread a while ago where they said that fatigue factored into most everything in the game.

That aside, is there a character build that you'd recommend for the first time through the game, or certain skills that should be favored over others?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

That's what it was. I remember there was conversation in some thread a while ago where they said that fatigue factored into most everything in the game.

That aside, is there a character build that you'd recommend for the first time through the game, or certain skills that should be favored over others?

think of your top two weapon types you want to use and put them as your major skills

then pick a race that has bonuses to at least one of those

eg: nord + axe, or imperial + long blade

birthsign = pick one that sounds cool! Just kidding, pick The Steed.
The Mage is good if you're magic.

Other good options: The Lover has a great activated ability and helps chance to hit. The Atronach is great if you never want to use magic (or powergame around the disadvantage).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing with Morrowind Rebirth, so I don't remember how many points of unlock the Tower Key ability gives you in the base game, but take the Tower. The ability to unlock most doors in the game is incredibly valuable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been playing with Morrowind Rebirth, so I don't remember how many points of unlock the Tower Key ability gives you in the base game, but take the Tower. The ability to unlock most doors in the game is incredibly valuable.

its only 50 points in vanilla which isn't very many

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Don't use mesh improvements. They're badly smoothed models that only bloat the poly count by 1000x without fixing anything. You wanna know why your game chugs, even though you have a decent PC, poo poo like this is the reason. Honestly, you're better off with vanilla.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 4, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

nah you absolutely want the one that gives you an absurd +25 to two different attributes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

Don't use mesh improvements. They're badly smoothed models that only bloat the poly count by 1000x without fixing anything. You wanna know why your game chugs, even though you have a decent PC, poo poo like this is the reason. Honestly, you're better off with vanilla.

lmao I'm peepin' those screenshots and those bowls/pots are horrendously too dense

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah you absolutely want the one that gives you an absurd +25 to two different attributes
Fair enough. I haven't played vanilla in forever. I like Morrowind Rebirth a lot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fair enough. I haven't played vanilla in forever. I like Morrowind Rebirth a lot.
please don't talk to me about Morrowind Rebirth in this thread, I get upset

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just lol if you don't play as Jiub (level 3 dunmer thief) every time you play

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

please don't talk to me about Morrowind Rebirth in this thread, I get upset
What don't you like about it? I don't know the game well enough to even have told the difference, really. I just like that it expands some cities.

Also, another modding question: the Code Patch will let me run some options but not others, because it gives me some error about a no-CD version wince I got it from GOG. How do I make it think I have a CD, or whatever I need to do to use the full patch?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What don't you like about it? I don't know the game well enough to even have told the difference, really. I just like that it expands some cities.

Also, another modding question: the Code Patch will let me run some options but not others, because it gives me some error about a no-CD version wince I got it from GOG. How do I make it think I have a CD, or whatever I need to do to use the full patch?

rebirth does a LOT more than expand cities, it makes some questionable gameplay / item changes as well. Far too many to count, but they're entirely one persons idea of what morrowind should be, and often times that isn't the most fun. Morrowind doesn't need a lot of changes.

In terms of city mods, Outlander is coming out soon that redoes vivec / a lot of other cities

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/users/159722/?tb=mods&pUp=1

this guy does a great job of expanded a lot of cities as well. There's no point in expanding cities if you don't fill them with interesting things :v:

as for the code patch that's strange, I'll ping hrnchamd and see what he says. I have the gog version and it works fine, have you altered your exe at all?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Have you installed the 4gb patch? Because that's usually what does it. If you have, restore a backup of the exe, apply the code patch and then install the 4gb patch.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Have you installed the 4gb patch? Because that's usually what does it. If you have, restore a backup of the exe, apply the code patch and then install the 4gb patch.

Only now you don't need to do this anymore, 4gb patch is included.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's all taste I guess but:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I posted my running experienced with it ITT, but a standout was that the author’s obsession with ~balance~ at the cost of all fun, atmosphere and character was so great that he apparently decided that the Hair Shirt of St Aumanator was unbalanced or something, because he removed it from the game entirely and made the Temple questline impossible to complete.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dSZMVNzD0c

I should also note that the morrowind may modathon is going on, make a mod and enter it in for a chance to win fabulous prizes! Or just enjoy the ~100 new morrowind mods made this month! It's a special may because it's morrowinds 15th anniversary

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's all taste I guess but:
Yikes. Good to know.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, has anyone tried Tamriel Rebuilt? Any good?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's good

also no answer on your MCP issue, are you SURE you're running the default exe no changes to it? No one else seems to have that problem, but it may have arisen from any edits to the exe done afterwards.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FactsAreUseless posted:

About as good as it gets. Still vastly incomplete, but that's no surprise given the scope of the thing. The stuff to the east is in pretty drat good shape especially.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao I'm peepin' those screenshots and those bowls/pots are horrendously too dense

I've got some really bad examples of how lovely Mesh Improvements is in an album here: http://m.imgur.com/a/Vctff

If you want misc mesh replacers, these are all newer and better:

Tarius' Better Meshes: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/38170/
RR Better Meshes: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43266/ which now covers all miscs but soul gems
Mine: http://download.fliggerty.com/download--1088 which does duplicate some of the meshes in the others, but you don't need extra patches for my cushions (there's UV problems with Tarius').

Since RR finished all the miscs while I was on a modding hiatus, I see no further point replicating stuff they've already done unless I think it's not vanilla enough. I'm going to focus on fixing all the dunmer tables next.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 5, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

it's good

also no answer on your MCP issue, are you SURE you're running the default exe no changes to it? No one else seems to have that problem, but it may have arisen from any edits to the exe done afterwards.
It turned out to be an issue with dumbass MGSO, now that I'm not running MGSO it's not a problem.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Stuporstar posted:

I've got some really bad examples of how lovely Mesh Improvements is in an album here: http://m.imgur.com/a/Vctff

Looks like whoever made the MGSO mod literally just pressed the 'subdivide' button twice in Blender and said "Perfect! I made the meshes all high res now!"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mister Adequate posted:

About as good as it gets. Still vastly incomplete, but that's no surprise given the scope of the thing. The stuff to the east is in pretty drat good shape especially.

I want to wait to play Morrowind again, once TR is complete. I know this is an unrealistic dream of mine, because while I'm pretty sure that it is going to happen, it won't be for... a while.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

I want to wait to play Morrowind again, once TR is complete. I know this is an unrealistic dream of mine, because while I'm pretty sure that it is going to happen, it won't be for... a while.

join tr and help out :thumbsup:

that goes for anyone else reading this too

tamriel-rebuilt.org

it can be as complex as designing interiors or as simple as writing out cool ideas for quests

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

join tr and help out :thumbsup:

that goes for anyone else reading this too

tamriel-rebuilt.org

it can be as complex as designing interiors or as simple as writing out cool ideas for quests

I have this great idea for a quest about this Nord that loses his pants, and

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Node posted:

I have this great idea for a quest about this Nord that loses his pants, and

The nord takes an arrow to the knee and and guess what you guessed it it's the same one from Skyrim that says that line

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44921/
:ssh:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Looks like whoever made the MGSO mod literally just pressed the 'subdivide' button twice in Blender and said "Perfect! I made the meshes all high res now!"

Worse. They used the subsurface button in Blender which is designed for the rest of the 3D modeling industry, not for gaming. It's the equivalent of those lazy hi-rez texture packs some rear end in a top hat always posts 1 day after a game is released saying "I made them 4k!" when all the dude did is upscale them without resampling so it's blown up pixellated poo poo that kills your framerate for no reason.

You'll notice it only exacerbates original UV issues and some of MW's models are so chunky the subsurface button can't even smooth them. It just makes vaguely rounded octagonal meshes with a billion unnecessary polys.

I can't believe the pastebin guide still recommends this oldass unoptimized poo poo.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 5, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stuporstar posted:

I can't believe the pastebin guide still recommends this oldass unoptimized poo poo.

Be the change you want to see in the world

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So many people have it backwards when it comes to modeling for gaming, the point isn't to make your object as detailed as possible, it's to make it with as little detail as possible and fake it so hard it looks like it's hi rez anyway

I ran into this a lot with Fallout 4 and critiquing the plethora of gun mods flooding the Nexus. Most of them were so poly dense they were the equivalent of having 4 entire suits of power armor on your screen at all times, and that's before taking into consideration that the player might be in third person and wearing power armor themselves, enemies using the same gun, the dense rear end streets of boston, etc.

it was ridiculous lol

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^^ It's like they don't realize every other 3D industry takes at minimum 30s to render a single frame, rather than having to render, at minimum, 30 frames a second on the fly.

Entropy238 posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world

Someone wrote their own guide for the pastebin guide. I'm actually writing an addendum of my own and will find a permanent place for it in my subforum on GHF, once it's done.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 5, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

on a related note I found out morrowind animations are locked to 15 frames per second

openmw will save us all

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

on a related note I found out morrowind animations are locked to 15 frames per second

openmw will save us all

My dreams of first person jacking off at 144 fps as a Khajit in Morrowind... shattered...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
countdown to argonian jiggle physics

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bulging floppy dewlaps everywhere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

disregard, I just deleted the bad mod

yes that's right I deleted myself!!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What happened to the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul? It sounded interesting, but it's gone from the nexus and the download doesn't contain any of the sound or music files. Does anyone have a mirror something of the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

FactsAreUseless posted:

What happened to the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul? It sounded interesting, but it's gone from the nexus and the download doesn't contain any of the sound or music files. Does anyone have a mirror something of the original?

Read the readme that comes with the overhaul.

Also thanks to the Mesh Improvements heads up.