Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, there are actually a few codes there I never knew about, whoa! IDDT and IDCHOPPERS, definitely not. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, there are actually a few codes there I never knew about, whoa! IDDT and IDCHOPPERS, definitely not. Neat!
IDDT was the only way I could play Map 30 on our first PC, a 486 SX 25MHz with 4MB RAM.

Also, things are drawn as triangles on the map in that mode because there was an abandoned easter egg to include an Asteroid-ish game in the automap.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The Star Wars games are all up to 75% off on GOG right now, cos may the 4th.. apparently the deal's for the next 8 days.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone want Quake Champions beta keys?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Does anyone want Quake Champions beta keys?

Could you PM me one since I'm at work and can't type it in yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

By the way for the like 1 person in this thread who cares about Strafe, turns out I didn't back at the level that lets me play the game 2 weeks ahead of release, which is why I haven't posted any INSIDE SCOOPS about it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm more excited for Dusk. It looks hella neat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm more excited for Dusk. It looks hella neat.

Hell yes, that game looks delightful. And it has toilets like Duke 3D I hear.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lurdiak posted:

By the way for the like 1 person in this thread who cares about Strafe, turns out I didn't back at the level that lets me play the game 2 weeks ahead of release, which is why I haven't posted any INSIDE SCOOPS about it.
That video from like a month ago showing a "near final" build looked, like, profoundly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2DJ9iwFIs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Quake Champions is.... fun?!?!?! :allears:

This is what Doom 4 Multi should have been. :)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope strafe is good. I want a new old shooter and that bombshell thing is years off probably.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Bombshell prequel is probably a couple months off. I'm sure it'll be better than the main game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy is that a low bar for success.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I picked up Chasm: The Rift again and I'm still having some issues getting it to run at full speed on resolutions above 300x200. I don't mind playing on that resolution necessarily, but it would be nice to get it higher.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
If anyone is struggling in QC check the FOV setting, it's set quite high by default. Never cared about FOV unless it was too narrow, this default setting may be normal for Quake players but it threw my aim way off.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Happy 25th Birthday Wolf 3D! :toot:

It is also today's featured Wikipedia article!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Seamonster posted:

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Seamonster posted:

25 years of killing Nazis :toot:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BipolarAurora posted:

25 years of killing Nazis :toot:

Indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzu8liD3BU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
25 years of shooting mecha-hitler.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I had to completely overhaul my computer to play Wolf TNO. Well worth the expense of switching to Intel and Nvidia hardware. iD Software games do not run well on AMD/ATI hardware at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Quake Champions is.... fun?!?!?! :allears:

This is what Doom 4 Multi should have been. :)

Yes, it's pretty good. I'm actually surprised.

It combines the super solid arena gameplay and good level design of Quake 3 with just the right amount of character differentiation. It isn't like Battleborn or Overwatch with very different characters, and of course the weapons are the same (taken from the arena, as a normal Quake game), but the small differences in each character are enough twist for this type of game.
Every character has their own combination of health/max armor/speed, a passive effect that usually is related to movement (Ranger can rocket jump more because he has a 20% self damage reduction, Anarki has more air control, Visor can strafe jump, Nyx can wall jump, etc) and a single active ability, with a longish (30 secs) cooldown, like acid spit or ghost walk or a front shield).
Some people worry because the possible effect on balance, but modern games just take the stats of all the players, and they can easily discriminate by time played, skill, and a bunch of factors, in other words if they are proactive it isn't hard to have a fairly balanced game.

Some keys:

DGY9-K83E-X6UP-9C8G-E69K
YEM9-K98M-M8QY-6B3A-R62C

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
It's great fun and I've only lost one (1) game in this beta period, so it's definitely not loaded with superfluously skilled players right now. I also got some keys in the mail:

KAX8-A34U-Q3CN-4Y7Y-M94K

UDR3-H36H-X7HM-9P7G-B63Y

PCF8-Q44A-R7YX-8K4X-R94X

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
quake champions is terrible and we should stop talking about it in this thread about good old fps games and not bad new fps games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Seamonster posted:

It is also today's featured Wikipedia article!

(can we change this thread to use this tag)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

:allears:

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

haveblue posted:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Overbite posted:

I hope strafe is good. I want a new old shooter and that bombshell thing is years off probably.

I'm personally keeping an eye on Dusk, which looks exactly like what I want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

I had to completely overhaul my computer to play Wolf TNO. Well worth the expense of switching to Intel and Nvidia hardware. iD Software games do not run well on AMD/ATI hardware at all.

Is more like AMD/ATI can't code for poo poo for OpenGL. Sometimes they release drivers that work well then gently caress it up on the next version. Last ATI I owned was a X1800XT wich was an amazing card but any game that used OpenGL was a russian roulette but in the worst way, 1 out of 6 worked well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Reive posted:

I'm personally keeping an eye on Dusk, which looks exactly like what I want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

I was actually trying to remember the name of this game since I'd seen some gameplay footage around Halloween, thanks for linking the trailer!

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Mutant Standard posted:

quake champions is terrible and we should stop talking about it in this thread about good old fps games and not bad new fps games

QC is a good compromise between old and modern fps games you should celebrate it not denigrate it, friend. It's no overwatch with its lovely Reinharts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dusk looks ugly as hell, but if it's fun I don't mind.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bruc posted:

QC is a good compromise between old and modern fps games you should celebrate it not denigrate it, friend. It's no overwatch with its lovely Reinharts.

Overwatch is like someone sat down and tried to figure out how to include abilities that slowed gameplay down and took as much agency from players as possible

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Overwatch is like someone sat down and tried to figure out how to include abilities that slowed gameplay down and took as much agency from players as possible

You can just say "a MOBA."

The annoyance is exacerbated because it's in first person.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
OW is the best parts of FPS game mixed with the worst parts of MOBAs. I'm a dude that trys to be as positive as possible toward games for real and gently caress if OW isn't the most disappointing game I've ever played ( I think it's OK tho). If you think QC or UTALPHA201* are poo poo you probably need to temper your expectations because it's not gonna get any closer to Q3/UT99 than that. Or play Titanfall 2 the perfect mesh of quake and CoD.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Quake Champions is all right. I can live with the character abilities but them having different stats for health/armor/speed goes against the simple arena shooter concept. The game also needs better feedback for player damage and the weapons sound rather muted.

I'll probably get it whenever it comes out of beta, play it for 4-6 hours then never touch it again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I remember that I bought Overwatch for $40 not too long after it came out. After playing it for a few hours, I just sort of went "I guess this is okay", and then I didn't touch the game again until the Chinese New Year event. Ironically, I later bought Payday 2 for about six dollars, and I ended up sinking nearly 90 hours into it.

People describe Overwatch as a first-person MOBA (and I don't know anything about MOBAs), but it seemed like the game it was cribbing from primarily was Team Fortress 2. That was part of the reason why I picked it up, since I played a lot of TF2, and I was hoping that OW would be similar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Overwatch, and I know at least one big TF2 fan who found it to hit that spot. I can see why it's not everybody's thing, but I find the combat really enjoyable, and overall it felt pretty fresh to me. Played more of it in one year than I did of TF2 total I think, just grabbed me more. But I did love TF2 when it hit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I remember that I bought Overwatch for $40 not too long after it came out. After playing it for a few hours, I just sort of went "I guess this is okay", and then I didn't touch the game again until the Chinese New Year event. Ironically, I later bought Payday 2 for about six dollars, and I ended up sinking nearly 90 hours into it.

People describe Overwatch as a first-person MOBA (and I don't know anything about MOBAs), but it seemed like the game it was cribbing from primarily was Team Fortress 2. That was part of the reason why I picked it up, since I played a lot of TF2, and I was hoping that OW would be similar.

Overwatch isn't a moba. People are silly. It is TF3 and its okay but not as revolutionary as TF2 or TF on Quake was, and I've burned out too much on TF already.

Battleborn is closer to a moba than overwatch is, but its lovely.

GUI posted:

Quake Champions is all right. I can live with the character abilities but them having different stats for health/armor/speed goes against the simple arena shooter concept. The game also needs better feedback for player damage and the weapons sound rather muted.

I'll probably get it whenever it comes out of beta, play it for 4-6 hours then never touch it again.

I balked at the health/armor/speed differences at first myself too, but they're minor and its not like characters get locked out like in Overwatch or something. If you wanna play a certain character, it doesn't matter if literally every single person is playing that character too, you can.

There's no roles or limits because its not that kind of game, so its not really a problem. If some character is massively OP, everybody will just pick them, and they'll be forced to adapt the other characters.

I would rather it was just straight quake 3 but I'm finding its not really that far off. And it also creates small amounts of balance handicapping. If you're a bad player who can't bunny hop for poo poo, you can play one of the other characters that just has higher base speed. If you are good, you pick a character with lower base speed, but then as long as you're consistently pulling off bunny hops you're actually going faster than the other players. Its like a choose your own playstyle, risk/reward. Seems okay.

If it was more gamebreaking it would be bad, but I find it still feels like I'm winning fights because I landed more shots than the other guy and not really any other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Overwatch isn't a moba. People are silly. It is TF3 and its okay but not as revolutionary as TF2 or TF on Quake was, and I've burned out too much on TF already.
Overwatch is definitely not a MOBA, it's a highly polished TF2 clone.

It 100% contains MOBA elements though.