Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

you cannot be lazy if your name is speedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm crowdfunding a pop-up guillotine that can fit in the bed of a pickup for rapid deployment to temporary Eat The Rich-zones

we believe that every man needs a guillotine, and any who needs one will have one delivered to him

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It just becomes a logistical nightmare. Show executions for some, the most well known or most egregious, but just put the rest of them on boats and sink the boats, if you ask me.

They did that during the French Revolution as well, in case that wasn't what you were alluding to.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Why Shouldn’t Women Pay More for Health Insurance?

by KEVIN

lol like I'd read past this point

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Junkyard Poodle posted:

why destroy perfectly good boats?

use their own yachts

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

logikv9 posted:

"move to australia" - donald trump

just dont do it by boat

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wanted to take a poster of a guillotine with the words "FEED ME" embossed in glitter to the climate march but I was worried about getting hassled so I went with "clean coal is an oxymoron" instead

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

A guillotine is also really bad for executing large groups of people. Sure, it's fantastic for big showy executions. But when you storm the NYSE and march all the traders out at gunpoint, do you really want to spend literally days marching them one by one up to a guillotine?

yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Slippery Tilde

a.lo posted:

you cannot be lazy if your name is speedy

what if your name is slowpoke

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/860577873060651008/video/1

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

its a reminder.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
the harsh reality of working life hit me as i reluctantly cut into my $300 kobe and matsusaka steak.

sure, it was an expense that could be charged to the company. but i will never be able to claim back the time i lost in the fake opulence of that michelin starred res

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oh my loving god

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

just dont do it by boat

this is the 3rd reference to this i've seen in the last day without context and I don't know what it means but I'm just gonna assume racism

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lol seriously death to the rich, my god.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nonsense posted:

Why Shouldn’t Women Pay More for Health Insurance?

by KEVIN D. WILLIAMSON May 5, 2017 12:44 PM @KEVINNR

The Democrats, and progressives in general, like to boast of being the partisans of science.

(Science!)

Most of them, like most people, do not know the first thing about science, but they enjoy the preening.

They are, they insist, “reality-based,” empiricists who follow the evidence wherever it may lead . . . until they figure out that it sometimes leads them in directions they’d rather not think too much about. “For Republicans, being a woman is a preexisting condition!”

This is the Democratic talking point of the week as Republicans work on trying to fix the mess of a health-care program created by Democrats. A typical example of this stupidity is this column by Slate’s Christina Cauterucci, who dutifully repeats the formula: “Read closely, the American Health Care Act, or Trumpcare, also reveals the basic theory that underlies the GOP’s entire legislative wishlist on health care: the idea that being a woman is a chronic medical condition and a liability.”

(Did she read it closely? When, I wonder?) Her complaints are familiar: The Affordable Care Act enacted pricing rules that largely prohibited charging women higher health-insurance premiums than men, and the Republican plan would relax some of those restrictions, which probably would result in women’s paying higher premiums. But nowhere in the piece does she consider the actual facts of the case: Women have radically higher lifetime medical expenses than men do, about one-third higher, on average.

(At the risk of committing hate crime, I’ll be using “women” in the old-fashioned sense, the way Bill Nye used to before the Minitrue men at Netflix memory-holed all that chromosome talk.) According to “The Lifetime Distribution of Health Care Costs,” (published in Health Services Research and made available online by the National Institutes of Health) per-capita lifetime health-care expenditures for women run $361,200, or nearly $100,000 more than per-capita lifetime health-care expenditures for men.

Part of that is related to the fact that women live longer on average, but that does not account for the majority of the difference. If you want to call yourselves “reality-based,” how about taking a little reality into account?

You don’t necessarily have to interpret the facts in any particular way, but you ought at least to take note of them. The usual rhetorical strategy is at work here: Ignore the relevant facts and, if someone forces them into the conversation, retreat into high dudgeon. “Harrumph! Sexism! Harrumph!” But maybe the dudgeon here ought not be too high. Yes, you could make a very persuasive argument that women ought not be expected to bear the burden of their higher medical expenses, or at least not the entire burden.

But you could also make a pretty compelling case that poor working people in the South Bronx ought not be forced to subsidize the lifestyles of the multi-millionaire vanden Heuvels out in the Hamptons or the multi-millionaire Clintons in Chappaqua (does Mrs. Clinton still pretend to live in Chappaqua?) just to satisfy some gender-studies graduate from Bryn Mawr. The higher premiums charged to women are not rooted in the malice of wicked insurance executives but in the thing that our progressive friends claim to love: science — in this case, actuarial science.

The argument for charging women higher premiums may not be persuasive to you, but it has some basis in reality.

The argument against doing so has no obvious basis in anything other than preference.

We all support evidence-based medicine. Why not support evidence-based health insurance, too? Which is not to say that we can’t or shouldn’t subsidize some health-insurance consumers. Of course we can, and will. But why subsidize them based on biological sex (seriously, call the hate-crime hotline!) rather than on some other more subsidy-relevant metric such as income or wealth?

I know it is a downer to start thinking about the facts when you’re right in the middle of a very pleasurable episode of moral grandstanding, but the facts will still be there when you’re done.

Sir this is a drive thru guillotine please place your head on the block we have people waiting in line

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

its amusing how low the bar is now

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Service guarantees citizenship, and also the right to not die of easily preventable or treatable illness.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
all caps JOBS JOBS JOBS is now presidential language

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not a Children posted:

I wanted to take a poster of a guillotine with the words "FEED ME" embossed in glitter to the climate march but I was worried about getting hassled so I went with "clean coal is an oxymoron" instead

Yeah I've been wondering if taking a big paper mache guillotine to a protest in DC would be enough to get you arrested for making a terrorist threat. Probably, right?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

inhales
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!!

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

2DCAT posted:

In preparation for Congress next week, I had to sit through a 2 hour presentation on what I can and cannot say when speaking with them... We went over the below video quite a bit. It was explained that even if you hear the dumbest loving poo poo you've ever heard in your life... you have to sit there with a straight face, like admiral willard does below... and act like the person didn't just ask you the dumbest thing that was ever asked in the history of history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q

Holy poo poo, watch this video the whole thing. The opposition party, folks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

99% sure there's a tweet saying a good jobs report when obama was around was skewed, fake, etc

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

. . . . .

2 phone calls?

really?

I like how 20 hours of personal time is included in the 55 hour work week, loving lol

line em' up and chop em' off boys

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 5, 2017

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

tenderjerk posted:

this is the 3rd reference to this i've seen in the last day without context and I don't know what it means but I'm just gonna assume racism

yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/11/government-launches-new-graphic-campaign-to-deter-asylum-seekers

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah I've been wondering if taking a big paper mache guillotine to a protest in DC would be enough to get you arrested for making a terrorist threat. Probably, right?

this is a country where you can now go to jail for laughing at an elf lying under oath, so :mmmhmm:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

a.lo posted:

inhales
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!!

to the tune of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUYZJRlOHyw

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is video is 15 years old !

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh my god JOBS JOBS JOBS!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

it's a 420 page!

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Mirthless posted:

. . . . .

2 phone calls?

really?

That's 2 hours of phone calls. Literally slavery.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I read somewhere about a Wallstreet type guy who spent $10K+ on a porcelain poodle umbrella holder.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Baloogan posted:

its amusing how low the bar is now

im curious what would happen if you ~unskewed~ the uc numbers for 50 years

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tenderjerk posted:

They had a slogan "stop the boats", because they didn't want refugees getting into their big, empty country. So instead they put them in concentration camps on some island.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

At my old job, it was commonplace for those with company credit cards to use them at strip clubs. Nobody cared. Once you hit a certain pay scale, it's really hard to look yourself in the mirror if you still have to interact with blue collar employees.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

boethius posted:

Boo loving hoo

My favorite is the 11 hours a week of travel time, personal care, and exercise that counts as work for some reason.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ok, let's say you set up a guillotine in Manhattan and start executing the people there who deserve it. Pretty quickly the Manhattanites would realize you were serious, and most of them would flee. So your guillotine is going unused while you deal with extradition, or wars with the countries they fled to. That guillotine is going to have a lot of down time.

If we had a guillotine everywhere they'd have nowhere to run god try to keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

prefect posted:

They had a slogan "stop the boats", because they didn't want refugees getting into their big, empty country. So instead they put them in concentration camps on some island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkGvk1rQBI

• Locked thread