Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

brb assembling my own Switch from individual parts that I obtained for about $100 total

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cojawfee posted:

I have no idea why I'm collecting coins and orbs. This seems to be suffering from the same problem Yooka Laylee is suffering from as well. There are a bunch of collectibles but no real reason for them to exist other than "collect these things to make the numbers on the level select go up."

It's a collect-a-thon. One of the main goals of the gameplay is to collect lots of things for it's own sake. You don't need a story for that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Utnayan posted:

Well, here is the panel they use.

HSD062IDW1-Axx A00 A02 HannStar

You can find these on ebay for about 26 bucks. In EOL manufacturing reboots, about $5 bucks at most. So yes, the LCD display itself is an antiquated piece of poo poo. But this is how Nintendo makes money on their hardware. Still, if this would have been launched back when this technology was mainstream (Around 2010) it would have obviously been amazing for the day.

Your posts are what I imagine gargling a continuous fart blast would be like

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

i bought a switch with money from my job and its fun and i still have money :prepop:

do you take it to work (you can undock the switch and the home console becomes a portable you can take anywhere)?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

acksplode posted:

brb assembling my own Switch from individual parts that I obtained for about $100 total

Not a bad idea. You could upgrade your panel to be an OLED 1080p panel and it would look amazingly better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Not a bad idea. You could upgrade your panel to be an OLED 1080p panel and it would look amazingly better.

I'm giving it a third joycon rail and a cupholder

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

acksplode posted:

Add the girl gamer button from that prototype mockup

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Girl gamer buttons are recently invented tech, so they have no place in this rickety old thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Utnayan posted:

Not really in video game consoles though. Nintendo is the only company that sells their initial launch consoles at a fairly healthy profit. Sony and MS loss lead and make it up on licensing, market place (Video,/Movies, Games) and now, ads and apps (For MS). Kudos should be given to Nintendo for, in all actuality, continuing to con their player base into buying very antiquated hardware and trying to sell alternate means of playing antiquated games. By Antiquated, I mean to today's graphical/audio and presentation standards. Game play wise, some are very good (EX: Zelda)

It obviously has worked well for them up until the Wii U and jury is still out on how successful the Switch will be.

Ps4 was not loss-lead

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
This thread... is dead.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Quoting Utnayan should be a bannable offense.

This antiquated hand held doesn't even have a disc drive am i rite.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps4 was not loss-lead

Um, yeah it was.

https://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-4-to-sell-at-a-loss-but-sony-expects-profit/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

For how long after launch they said it was selling for a profit early in its life

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

acksplode posted:

I would like to see that actually. :)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

For how long after launch they said it was selling for a profit early in its life

Eight months.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

strap on revenge posted:

i bought a switch with money from my job and its fun and i still have money :prepop:

Same except I don't have money anymore I'll have to live off bitter Switch cartridges.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

In Sony's defense, being at a profit after 1 game and PS Plus for the PS4 is a massive improvement over the PS3's losses at launch.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Quoting Utnayan should be a bannable offense.

This antiquated hand held doesn't even have a disc drive am i rite.
Someone in GBS twice brought up that not having a disk drive in a portable system was a screw up on Nintendo's part. That thread rightfully gets to point out some of the compromises the system has but lol at a disk drive in a portable in 2017. PS4/Xbox only still has them because they kind of have to.

I'm honestly surprised they're still the default in a tower PC from Dell now that I'm looking.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

In Sony's defense, being at a profit after 1 game and PS Plus for the PS4 is a massive improvement over the PS3's losses at launch.

Oh for sure. They did an awesome job. PS3 was horrid :(

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Actually the Switch only costs 1488 yen to manufacture

acksplode
May 17, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Someone in GBS twice brought up that not having a disk drive in a portable system was a screw up on Nintendo's part. That thread rightfully gets to point out some of the compromises the system has but lol at a disk drive in a portable in 2017. PS4/Xbox only still has them because they kind of have to.

I'm sure that dipshit would be fine with his 1-hour battery life as Zelda keeps the disc spinning to stream in assets

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah there is no need for an optical in the Switch. I personally think they did the right thing by not having one. With that said, I do not feel the games should be sometimes double the cost (Especially indie titles that are legacy games by now, even as GOTY editions) with limited improvement in anything other than it was a port. So, some people are blaming cartridges for the increase, but that wouldn't account for thesame price on the eShop (Well, it does Because Nintendo forced the prices to be the same) so the licensing fees from Nintendo are obviously more than what Sony and MS charge and that is being passed through to the consumer. And that isn't a good way to win back 3rd party like they state they want to do.

With that said, optical drives are here to stay. 4k players will now just replace the others and this will always continue. Regardless of software distribution - due to these are still inherently media devices, and you cannot stream a lossless audio track.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 5, 2017

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm glad this thread is active, it's wonderful to see everyone is enjoying their switch. Mine arrived in the mail today. :3:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Switch is the best Nintendo console since the SNES.

Playing Mario Kart 8 on portable is loving amazing. Nintendo skipped an entire generation on the portable graphical prowess.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope they keep commissioning Konami to revive old IPs and niche stuff.

Hell aside from the people who think Metal Gear should die with Kojima leaving would anyone really be against a new Metal Gear AC!D title for the Switch? Especially considering that Kojima hardly had anything to do with the two titles so it's not like a new entry would be radically different.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Switch is good. Glad I bought switch.

AutisticScreeching
Dec 16, 2016

Utnayan posted:

Well, here is the panel they use.

HSD062IDW1-Axx A00 A02 HannStar

You can find these on ebay for about 26 bucks. In EOL manufacturing reboots, about $5 bucks at most. So yes, the LCD display itself is an antiquated piece of poo poo. But this is how Nintendo makes money on their hardware. Still, if this would have been launched back when this technology was mainstream (Around 2010) it would have obviously been amazing for the day.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hope they keep commissioning Konami to revive old IPs and niche stuff.

Hell aside from the people who think Metal Gear should die with Kojima leaving would anyone really be against a new Metal Gear AC!D title for the Switch? Especially considering that Kojima hardly had anything to do with the two titles so it's not like a new entry would be radically different.

No Thank You

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Like seriously if you play portable Switch and your immediate thought isn't "Holy poo poo how is this even possible?!" when playing BotW, Mario Kart 8, or even Fast Racing RMX then you have entirely unrealistic expectations.

They knocked it out of the park on this one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i will take 1 castlevania, please

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Does anyone know the game modes in NBA Playgrounds?
Asking for a friend

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

i will take 1 castlevania, please

What a terrible night to have a Switch

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

Like seriously if you play portable Switch and your immediate thought isn't "Holy poo poo how is this even possible?!" when playing BotW, Mario Kart 8, or even Fast Racing RMX then you have entirely unrealistic expectations.

They knocked it out of the park on this one.

I don't get this statement. Playing a controlled 720p game on a 6.2" tablet should have, and could have, been done years ago. I think the more relevant question would be, "Holy poo poo how was this not done years ago and why did portable users stay buried/ignored so long, and still somewhat even today with the Switch, in stagnant design.

And that is because all of the industry thought portable gaming was dead because of advances in personal devices.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
why is everything about the mk8 online experience as lovely as possible? is this supposed to get me excited to pay for online play in 6 months?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

:dance:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Utnayan posted:

I don't get this statement. Playing a controlled 720p game on a 6.2" tablet should have, and could have, been done years ago. I think the more relevant question would be, "Holy poo poo how was this not done years ago and why did portable users stay buried/ignored so long, and still somewhat even today with the Switch, in stagnant design.

And that is because all of the industry thought portable gaming was dead because of advances in personal devices.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

What a terrible night to have a Switch

Get a silk joycon from the graveyard duck to game longer

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i need MINIMUM 400 DPI on my tiny screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

400 dicks per inch is a little extreme even for me.

• Locked thread