Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

LethalGeek posted:

Someone in GBS twice brought up that not having a disk drive in a portable system was a screw up on Nintendo's part. That thread rightfully gets to point out some of the compromises the system has but lol at a disk drive in a portable in 2017. PS4/Xbox only still has them because they kind of have to.

I'm honestly surprised they're still the default in a tower PC from Dell now that I'm looking.

:thejoke:

I'm not going to be a crazy person and find all of Utnayan's old posts about how it should have had a blu-ray player in this portable device, but it is amusing they apparently don't remember it and now

Utnayan posted:

Yeah there is no need for an optical in the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/apxIoH3.mp4

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Utnayan posted:

Well, here is the panel they use.

HSD062IDW1-Axx A00 A02 HannStar

You can find these on ebay for about 26 bucks. In EOL manufacturing reboots, about $5 bucks at most. So yes, the LCD display itself is an antiquated piece of poo poo. But this is how Nintendo makes money on their hardware. Still, if this would have been launched back when this technology was mainstream (Around 2010) it would have obviously been amazing for the day.
:catstare:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Outplayed.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

katkillad2 posted:

:thejoke:

I'm not going to be a crazy person and find all of Utnayan's old posts about how it should have had a blu-ray player in this portable device, but it is amusing they apparently don't remember it and now

If I recall, I never talked about an optical drive - if I did, it could have been it should have been in the docking station - but I was more adamant that the applications such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, etc weren't available. As those are all standard in all of today's devices. And that argument wasn't necessarily saying anything but "This entire system was rushed to market".

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah this player actually got to drive a little between getting hit, could've been far worse. 0/10.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I went to my local Honda service center with my Switch playing Mario Kart and some kid told his mom "this guy has the PS4 on the go" I told the kid, "no this is the Switch, not the PlayStation 4. With it you can practically take it anywhere."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

I don't get this statement. Playing a controlled 720p game on a 6.2" tablet should have, and could have, been done years ago. I think the more relevant question would be, "Holy poo poo how was this not done years ago and why did portable users stay buried/ignored so long, and still somewhat even today with the Switch, in stagnant design.

And that is because all of the industry thought portable gaming was dead because of advances in personal devices.

Sorry that my opinion disagrees with yours. Not everyone thinks as binary as you.

AutisticScreeching
Dec 16, 2016

Utnayan posted:

If I recall, I never talked about an optical drive - if I did, it could have been it should have been in the docking station - but I was more adamant that the applications such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, etc weren't available. As those are all standard in all of today's devices. And that argument wasn't necessarily saying anything but "This entire system was rushed to market".

Reeeeeeeeeeee

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kirios posted:

Like seriously if you play portable Switch and your immediate thought isn't "Holy poo poo how is this even possible?!" when playing BotW, Mario Kart 8, or even Fast Racing RMX then you have entirely unrealistic expectations.

They knocked it out of the park on this one.

Seriously. The console is loving amazing, and takes away all my barriers that prevent me from playing video games. Even the fact that the console wakes up from sleep instantly blows my mind. It took us a year and a half to get the feature in the PS4 and it still doesn't account for power outages.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Slotducks posted:

Does anyone know the game modes in NBA Playgrounds?
Asking for a friend

Not sure atm. From what I've read, I have only seen basic game modes. (2 on 2) I know that at launch online will only be able to support 2 humans players at once. So no games with 4 humans online at launch.
http://www.operationsports.com/news/908385/nba-playgrounds-releases-on-may-9-for-20-new-details-gameplay-video/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why is it always Daisy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Utnayan posted:

Keep all that non gaming poo poo off my gaming console, please.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
brb, writing a very strongly worded letter to Nintendo about why they coudl've just made the Switch 4 years by going on eBay and purchasing cheap EOL parts

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

strap on revenge posted:

i need MINIMUM 400 DPI on my tiny screens

Not to single you out, but this is the exact reason why the industry is stagnant and in a stand still. Why are gaming consumers the only one's to not press for better design and higher end components in their devices, and higher end development? Because "It's good enough" has been the mainstay for the last 15 years. We finally got around to some exciting stuff with Virtual reality, and hopefully some augmented reality, and here we have people basically stating they do not care about dpi on the 6.2" 720 touch screen manufactured 5 years ago because it plays games so big deal and you, the Switch player (And everyone else that loves the Switch) is all up in arms about how great it is to be using technology that should have been launched 5 years ago in a stagnant section of the gaming industry that ignored you for decades. I guess something is better than nothing? Think of where the Switch COULD be right now. That's the crappy part of it all.

Imagine what we would be playing right now if the current mindset of "Good enough" was a thing of the past. It's like that old adage of the entitled gamer. Yes, they are entitled. They just bought your product. If someone buys my product, I'll bend over backwards to make sure they continue to buy more products. Kind of goes to the Ego in this industry. It's appalling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kirios posted:

Playing Mario Kart 8 on portable is loving amazing.

I just had my first impromptu three-player-three-Switch Mario Kart meeting and it was Glorious. We were yelling and shouting and how the hell did Donkey Kong get in front of all of us and aaaah items let's be loud!

In the meeting room adjacent to our boss' office. Oops.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If video game components are so cheap, why doesn't someone just make a console EVERYONE can use?

Oh

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can I buy those chairs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The following are quotes from Utnayan:

"Yep. I am passionate. :) Very ok. And pissed that Nintendo is about to fail it's rear end off because I love their games and grew up with them. I suppose it's like that with anything you like Louisgod. And then seeing it flushed down the loving toilet in some of the worst decisions ever made"

"You will love the new Metroid. I told you it has been in development for a while now. It is. Unfortunately, you will need the Switch to play it. But by then, I anticipate this thing being less then $150"

"You are correct. I guess the physical portability doesn't matter anyway since the battery lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. Maybe this will force outlet deployment on trains and airplanes and busses"

"The dock should have a blu-ray drive. The battery life SHOULD last more than the time it takes my steak to get done. It SHOULD be $100 cheaper given the technology is from 6 loving years ago, and has half the loving power as an XBox One for Christ's sake, and maybe even $150 cheaper to loss"

"LOOK AT THE PICTURE.  Say it with me. DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS. Now, lets go back to grade school and talk about PHYSICS. It will be much larger with the controllers attached. RIGHT? YES. You are graduating. Now, let's also talk about STORING THOSE DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS. A"

"Not sure where you are going with that. I agree with DVD. But Blu-Ray is cheap as gently caress to print and reproduce. Carts and Solid State are more expensive. Why they went cartridge anyway when they made such a poo poo design of a portable baffles me. The loving thing is so big they may as well"

"We have seen so many games so platforming better or the same as Mario. All we have to do is look at games like Ori, Child of Light, and the countless indie games that have great level design, sometimes even dwarfing Nintendo's Mario games, and realize the only thing missing is a dude in a"

"They could have hired anyone with a salt grain of common sense on how to flood the market with Switches. Instead? This entire thing is a loving joke with 70% of the preorders being obtained by scalpers hoping they can make 200 bucks when Nintendo short supplies the poo poo out of this to confuse"

DUDE HAS BEEN TROLLING SINCE DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Astro7x posted:

Seriously. The console is loving amazing, and takes away all my barriers that prevent me from playing video games. Even the fact that the console wakes up from sleep instantly blows my mind. It took us a year and a half to get the feature in the PS4 and it still doesn't account for power outages.

It's magical. It never ceases to amaze me, and to think it's only going to get better. Every time I undock it I feel the power.

The Nintendo Power.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kirios posted:

"Yep. I am passionate. :) Very ok. And pissed that Nintendo is about to fail it's rear end off because I love their games and grew up with them. I suppose it's like that with anything you like Louisgod. And then seeing it flushed down the loving toilet in some of the worst decisions ever made"

"You will love the new Metroid. I told you it has been in development for a while now. It is. Unfortunately, you will need the Switch to play it. But by then, I anticipate this thing being less then $150"

"You are correct. I guess the physical portability doesn't matter anyway since the battery lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. Maybe this will force outlet deployment on trains and airplanes and busses"

"The dock should have a blu-ray drive. The battery life SHOULD last more than the time it takes my steak to get done. It SHOULD be $100 cheaper given the technology is from 6 loving years ago, and has half the loving power as an XBox One for Christ's sake, and maybe even $150 cheaper to loss"

"LOOK AT THE PICTURE.  Say it with me. DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS. Now, lets go back to grade school and talk about PHYSICS. It will be much larger with the controllers attached. RIGHT? YES. You are graduating. Now, let's also talk about STORING THOSE DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS. A"

"Not sure where you are going with that. I agree with DVD. But Blu-Ray is cheap as gently caress to print and reproduce. Carts and Solid State are more expensive. Why they went cartridge anyway when they made such a poo poo design of a portable baffles me. The loving thing is so big they may as well"

"We have seen so many games so platforming better or the same as Mario. All we have to do is look at games like Ori, Child of Light, and the countless indie games that have great level design, sometimes even dwarfing Nintendo's Mario games, and realize the only thing missing is a dude in a"

"They could have hired anyone with a salt grain of common sense on how to flood the market with Switches. Instead? This entire thing is a loving joke with 70% of the preorders being obtained by scalpers hoping they can make 200 bucks when Nintendo short supplies the poo poo out of this to confuse"

DUDE HAS BEEN TROLLING SINCE DAY ONE OF ITS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Or he's just dumb.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

get good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you for bringing even more of those dipshit takes for me to scroll past.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The switch onl y costs 69 dollars??

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kirios posted:

okay thanks, got it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

a.lo posted:

okay thanks, got it

glad to hear it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kirios posted:

glad to hear it

gently caress you

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Nintendo Switch is very good and well worth the asking price.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

True?

quote:

The last part was Hyperbole. It will be $249. Metroid will be announced at the Treehouse E3. (Well, a teaser)

quote:

3 hours was correct.

quote:

And... True.

quote:

"LOOK AT THE PICTURE.  Say it with me. DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS. Now, lets go back to grade school and talk about PHYSICS. It will be much larger with the controllers attached. RIGHT? YES. You are graduating. Now, let's also talk about STORING THOSE DETACHABLE CONTROLLERS.

Partially true. People complain about the pad with joycons attached. Lots of complaints about losing controllers.

quote:

Was speaking to the Dock.

quote:

Also true. Mario has been the same cut out level design platformer for a while. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. But that doesn't mean because it has a Mario stamp on it it is better than some of the most recent platformers.

quote:

TBD. Still a ton on the scalper market. From Amazon, to Ebay. It would be nice to know the percentages, but they are everywhere on the second hand market. By the tens of thousands.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hope they keep commissioning Konami to revive old IPs and niche stuff.

Hell aside from the people who think Metal Gear should die with Kojima leaving would anyone really be against a new Metal Gear AC!D title for the Switch? Especially considering that Kojima hardly had anything to do with the two titles so it's not like a new entry would be radically different.

I'm one of the lunatics who actually like AcId, but a Metal Gear Rising sequel would be way more successful and way better and is a lot more likely considering Nintendo's relationship with Platinum

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ha ha I am new to Switch. Any advice for me?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm one of the lunatics who actually like AcId, but a Metal Gear Rising sequel would be way more successful and way better and is a lot more likely considering Nintendo's relationship with Platinum

I heard those games were fun, but never got around to playing them. I'd be pumped to get a MGS HD collection. Bluepoint did an awesome job with that.

AutisticScreeching
Dec 16, 2016

Utnayan posted:

True?

The last part was Hyperbole. It will be $249. Metroid will be announced at the Treehouse E3. (Well, a teaser)

3 hours was correct.

And... True.

Partially true. People complain about the pad with joycons attached. Lots of complaints about losing controllers.

Was speaking to the Dock.

Also true. Mario has been the same cut out level design platformer for a while. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. But that doesn't mean because it has a Mario stamp on it it is better than some of the most recent platformers.

TBD. Still a ton on the scalper market. From Amazon, to Ebay. It would be nice to know the percentages, but they are everywhere on the second hand market. By the tens of thousands.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a.lo posted:

Zelda
Mario Kart
Splattoon in a few months

Other games are going to vary depending on taste (which is bitter if you lick it).

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

a.lo posted:

Play Breath of the Wild. Great game.

If you have a 3DS, buy any indie title that comes out on the Switch on the 3DS instead. They will be identical, except half the cost. Otherwise after Zelda, you will be in a holding pattern until next year. Mario will also be delayed.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Play Breath of the Wild. Great game.

It really is. Mario Kart is great too!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Burbo posted:

The switch onl y costs 69 dollars??

That' the retail price, you're gonna have to pay 420 dollars to get it from a scalper

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Meridian posted:

It really is. Mario Kart is great too!

Loved it on my Wii U. But for some reason I liked Sonic Racing better on PC.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Loved it on my Wii U. But for some reason I liked Sonic Racing better on PC.

sonic racing transformed was an awesome game. i wish they'd make another one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why do people never factor in cost of OS when discussing how much it would cost them to build a Switch?

• Locked thread