Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wintermutant posted:

What did human meat taste like?

Molly and gun oil usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bobcats posted:

If you want the next-best hardship experience then Moogfest 2017 is in Durham, North Carolina this month

Durham is super bougie

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
What I learned is that gently caress da Mods is holding out on us

This websites dying dude wtf

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

gently caress da Mods posted:

just got back from fyre festival.

pretty hosed up our tragedy was made a big lol, but it was not lol @ all.

AMA

had a good time...so lol? :shrug:

"Don't laugh at my tragedy of a good time! lol"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I think gently caress da mods might be joshin us

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Everything on the internet is a lie.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Everything on the internet is a lie.

i think you have that backwards friend, everything on the internet is the troot

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/theguyolson/status/860262426553589760

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

comes from a "satire" website: https://aboveaverage.com/here-are-the-7-people-who-had-an-amazing-time-at-fyre-festival/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's real in my heart

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Bobcats posted:

If you want the next-best hardship experience then Moogfest 2017 is in Durham, North Carolina this month

The Gathering of the Juggalos is in Oklahoma this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol that juggalos are more organized than this

A bunch of carnie motherfuckers lmao

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

just got back from fyre festival.

pretty hosed up our tragedy was made a big lol, but it was not lol @ all.

AMA

are you going to get a refund like a big girl's blouse or are you up for the adventure of free tickets in '18?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

lol that juggalos are more organized than this

A bunch of carnie motherfuckers lmao

junkies are super organised and resourceful when it comes to acquiring drugs

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I thought DJ's just did all those listed tasks beforehand

I guess the click and whistle songs are a little more impressive if improvised on the spot like that... but it's never fully improvised, samples and all, right?

Edit: As in, a virtuoso keyboardist does a lot more operations per second that each exhibit a lifetime of music theory study, whereas these guys get a pass on having that level of skill because drugs

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 5, 2017

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also what do historic lessons have to do with you leaving the country, you were asked nicely already

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also I personally witnessed gently caress da Mods those days, he was not at this festival

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

BONGHITZ posted:

hey meme guy, did you take any good pictures? did you commit any crimes?

most of the pic u see floating around are from me

lol if u think ill tell u my meme IG

CharlestonJew posted:

What I learned is that gently caress da Mods is holding out on us

This websites dying dude wtf

what u want 2 kno?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kro-Bar posted:

The Gathering of the Juggalos is in Oklahoma this year.
Holy poo poo I've gotta go

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh Jesus the "venue" is a swamp.

Well the juggalos will thrive in it I'm sure.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

remember when the juggalos threw stones and turds at tia tequila

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

where did they get the turds?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Windfall posted:

I thought DJ's just did all those listed tasks beforehand

I guess the click and whistle songs are a little more impressive if improvised on the spot like that... but it's never fully improvised, samples and all, right?

Edit: As in, a virtuoso keyboardist does a lot more operations per second that each exhibit a lifetime of music theory study, whereas these guys get a pass on having that level of skill because drugs

Actually it can be depending on the dj.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eB83axVvw

Not to mention, Traktor (the software he is using) can be hand crafted to suit the needs of the dj. In order to do what Ean is doing in that video, you need to completely customize traktor to interact with your controllers. Having one button activate a multitude of automated fades, effect triggers, reloops, and sample grabbing. Moreover, you can create huge combos of triggered effects and automations depending on what buttons are held down in whatever order you choose.

He spent months just setting up the software, let alone using it and planning out a set. The beauty of it is, once configured and you're comfortable with the setup, you can absolutely 100% improvise remixes, mashups, and even play notes of a song in your own order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VJm0mi7aUc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not to mention, Traktor (the software he is using) can be hand crafted to suit the needs of the dj. In order to do what Ean is doing in that video, you need to completely customize traktor to interact with your controllers. Having one button activate a multitude of automated fades, effect triggers, reloops, and sample grabbing. Moreover, you can create huge combos of triggered effects and automations depending on what buttons are held down in whatever order you choose.

He spent months just setting up the software, let alone using it and planning out a set. The beauty of it is, once configured and you're comfortable with the setup, you can absolutely 100% improvise remixes, mashups, and even play notes of a song in your own order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VJm0mi7aUc

...and then once you're so familiar with it that you find it easier to just make sets with slight variations in advance, you do, because why not, then you can coast during your set and not worry about something messing up! Pressure's off!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Last Chance posted:

...and then once you're so familiar with it that you find it easier to just make sets with slight variations in advance, you do, because why not, then you can coast during your set and not worry about something messing up! Pressure's off!

That's what most pop singers do

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The "why not" probably happens for all the audience knows

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Excuse me, meme guy, I have a few more questions if you have the time.

1. What did you eat? How often were you fed?

2. How were the bathrooms?

3. Was any music played at all?

4. How did you leave the island?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

They generally don't because it would be akin to a guitarist doing the same thing.

It's a skill they have, and it's fun for them to do.

Of course there are dudes like David Guetta who totally do that, but I just wanted to illustrate that it's totally possible to do some incredible poo poo on the fly that most people don't even realize is happening.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Class Warcraft posted:

where the gently caress do you think

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Class Warcraft posted:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Most DJs are on a (heh) spectrum between composing songs from scratch like a one-man-band, and pushing a play button. Also the other funny thing is that musicians that are amazing producers often tend to be poo poo DJs. Like I've been digging Minnesota lately so I went to a show, and he is nowhere near even my amateur ability as a DJ, but his tracks are absolute fire. It really all just depends.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ProperCoochie posted:

yeesh..

In a similar vein, have an image:

ha I originally made this and put it on my facebook forever ago, I did something on the internet

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not to mention, Traktor (the software he is using) can be hand crafted to suit the needs of the dj. In order to do what Ean is doing in that video, you need to completely customize traktor to interact with your controllers.

That's pretty boring poo poo you linked. Looks like it's better to just lay out some tracks and pretend you're doing something like most of them DJ's do.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lladre posted:

That's pretty boring poo poo you linked. Looks like it's better to just lay out some tracks and pretend you're doing something like most of them DJ's do.

Ean is really technically advanced but also super boring and uninspired to listen to. Just like Qbert.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

BONGHITZ posted:

Excuse me, meme guy, I have a few more questions if you have the time.

1. What did you eat? How often were you fed?

2. How were the bathrooms?

3. Was any music played at all?

4. How did you leave the island?

1. i brought over some soylent (coffee flavor) + cliff bars so i was ok :)
2. I actually was constipated for the whole time so i peed outside and finally poo ppoo on plane
3. some bros brought some guitars so we jammed. other music might have played but i wasntaware / didnt go
4. on plane, there were a few hiccups from ppl who wanted to smoke but whatevs i puffed on a few got yelled at got on plane nbd

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Did Blink-182 do the naked song?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I guess we've run out of Fyre Festival things to talk about, but that's okay because I enjoy seeing folks get educated about proper DJing

I also enjoy watching complete DJ trainwrecks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQA2xXwILVw

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fried Watermelon posted:

That's what most pop singers do

That's what any band on tour does.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Being a good DJ doesn't actually translate to making good music though. The DJ for Eiffel 65 is actually a very technically competent DJ, but he was still the guy making music for Eiffel 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Izzhov posted:

where the gently caress do you think

you tell me bro, i've never been to the gathering of the juggalos

did they pack turds and bring them with them like "bet these will come in handy" or were there turds just lying on the ground, or are we talking about someone literally making GBS threads in their hand in the middle of a set and then throwing it?

• Locked thread