Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013
After a couple months of no replies, I finally had a chance with a phone screen. Unfortunately I blew it by being nervous and totally stumbling over all my sentences. I even had notes prepared, but just couldn't get over how nervous I was that someone finally responded. They said no and now I'm afraid I'm going to go another long stretch with no replies, and if I do get another shot I might just blow it again.

Edit: I'm rambling here, but what can I do to keep my composure?

Tiger Shark fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Flambeau posted:

I went to a career fair at my community college, felt like I came off like a total goon but still got called in for an interview! It would be an entry-level office admin type job. My resume clearly shows that I dropped out of university 10 years ago and only worked occasionally for the next 6. Assuming they ask me to explain, I feel like it would be unwise to directly mention alcoholism. However, I do want to be able to emphasize the effort and commitment I've put into turning my life around. Is there a diplomatic way to say 'I went off the deep end, but I managed to swim back to dry land'?

In general I wouldn't advise bringing up alcoholism mostly because I don't advise bringing up any thing that could possibly make you look bad. If you need to explain gaps in employment you may want to chalk it up to broad descriptions of events that do not reflect you having a social stigma but being a victim of circumstance. For instance, let's say you were struggling with alcoholism but had support of any family member you could say that you "had a few years of difficult family events and unfortunately your career had to take a back seat in order to help your family."

Give it serious thought, though, related to your actual circumstances. I'm just typing that as an example of where your mindset should be.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 3, 2017

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

The Sean posted:

In general I wouldn't advise bringing up alcoholism mostly because I don't advise bringing up any thing that could possibly make you look bad. If you need to explain gaps in employment you may want to chalk it up to broad descriptions of events that do not reflect you having a social stigma but being a victim of circumstance. For instance, let's say you were struggling with alcoholism but had support of any family member you could say that you "had a few years of difficult family events and unfortunately your career had to take a back seat in order to help your family."

Give it serious thought, though, related to your actual circumstances. I'm just typing that as an example of where your mindset should be.

I was fired and have a gap. I usually say that I have a gap because I was finishing school not a lie as I was but that's a reason I didn't reseek employment not why there's a gap per se. If they asked I wouldn't lie but I think it's expected to fudge things like that.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I have an interview tomorrow morning with Amazon as a Linux system admin with their AWS govcloud group. Any last minute advice? I made a cheat sheet with some quick references, have my resume, and a list of story prompts for their leadership principles.
I feel like trying to cram and glean anything from glass door is just going to heighten my anxiety and nervousness. I've been studying off and on as I can for the past few days and think I'm just as well to take it easy and get a decent sleep (morning Interview).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, so. I'm moving to a new city in July, and am currently applying for jobs there, hooray. I am looking primarily at histology jobs, and a lot of those are in hospitals. My question is this: how personalized do cover letters to the same company really need to be? Like I'm currently looking at 4 different histology positions in the same hospital, 3 of them in the same department.

I don't want to just blanket each application with my same plug-and-chug cover letter. I also don't have a million awesome stories about my previous histology accomplishments and whatnot, and there's only so many ways to say "I embed/section/process tissue well! :smuggo:"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're applying in the same org and ESPECIALLY the same department, it will likely run through same HR at some point. Make your cover letter different. You don't need to use specifically different stories or accomplishments, but don't make it seem like C&P. At least tailor the what's interesting about each position and the fit to your accomplishments to each individual job.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

OK so here's a situation I have: I graduated but the university hasn't released my diploma or transcripts because I still owe some money on my account. I just had an interview that went pretty great I thought but now I'm worried how I deal with the possibility of them doing a background check, thinking I lied about graduating, and throwing my application in the trash. How do I preempt this? The only way I can get the transcripts released afaik is to pay off the balance which I can't pay until I get a job so it's kind of a stupid catch 22. I listed people in my references who can definitely vouch for me having graduated but it's still scaring me :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it's possible, I'd recommend that you borrow money to release your transcripts. Credit card, cash from a friend, whatever.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Yeah obviously pay the balance is what I would do if I could but I don't have the money or ability to get the money right now so I'm trying to figure out plan B

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wow, so I might be getting headhunted from my current (underemployed) contract position. Someone found my linkedin profile and contacted me that way, I didn't apply for it.

If I'm offered the job, what's the general protocol when quitting a temp job (8-month contract in this case, only a month in)? Should I inform my contact at the employment agency first, or my direct report at the company I'm working for? I'm planning on giving 2 weeks of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah obviously pay the balance is what I would do if I could but I don't have the money or ability to get the money right now so I'm trying to figure out plan B

You could always tell the employer, although that runs the risk of backfiring if they didn't actually care. What kind of job is it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So dumb question.

To cut a long story short, I interned for a company last summer and they really loved me. My cousin's husband who I babysat for is the VP and forwarded my resume internally when I worked there internally. He works in a different department - I was systems/tech, he's the VP for creative - and has no direct authority over my hiring, but obviously being recommended by the VP carries no little weight!

Anyways, did my internship and everything went super super well and everyone really liked me and I loved the work. Last March my cousin's husband set up a lunch meeting with myself, the VP of internal operations (i.e. hiring and the like) as well as my old boss, which went really really well. I walked into that meeting just asking for generic career advice, and walked out with, essentially, an offer for a full time, permanent position on their systems team when a position became available, and my old job back (my $35k/yr paid salaried internship) whenever I wanted it. This was all informally done and purely verbal, but I have a very good relationship with my old boss and I would be surprised if they mislead me.

My cousin's husband recently informed me that there was that permanent position for me available the moment I was ready.

That didn't really cut the long story short at all but w/e.

Anyways, I'm not really sure how to proceed right now given that everything is verbal and I don't, technically, have a job offer in hand yet.

I'm assuming that I basically just send an email to my old boss and the VP of hiring that I met with who promised me the job saying: "yo I'm graduating and available to work full time, loved the time I spent working for you guys while I was an intern, would love to work for you again. When we met you mentioned the possibility of a full time, permanent position, wanted to meet to discuss future employment."

Obviously it'll be more professional than that, but does that get the basic content I want across? Should I attach my resume? CC or BCC my cousin's husband? Would that be presumptuous? I don't want to appear too desperate since I do want some salary negotiating room, but I'm in something of a precarious position for that. I'm straight out of college and entirely dependent on the goodwill of this specific company since I don't have the experience to qualify me for a similar position anywhere else.

tl;dr was verbally promised a job, no clue what my next steps should be

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I think you have the right idea, send an email to the VP of hiring and attach your resume and remind them of who you are, tell them you're graduated and still interested in the position, and take it from there. It's never wrong to poke someone about a past meeting or offer I don't think, odds are they'll see it and go "oh hey I remember this person, I should probably get in touch with them again" if they really did like you, which it sounds like they did. Good luck!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, that sounds like exactly the right approach. We just had one of our old interns poke us the same way!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
All sounds right on. Don't CC the other VP. Worst case if you don't get a reply after a week or two from the hiring manager send him a separate note.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
My current employer is currently circling the drain. We ran out of money a few months back, CEO was kicked out by the investors we then went into administration, got bought out and are currently going through a round of heavy restructuring/redundancies. 50% of those doing my role are going to be made redundant so I have obviously begun looking elsewhere.

It is almost certain that any future employer will be aware of all this as it was national news - what is the best approach to take when discussing my current company with any potential employer?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Gibfender posted:

My current employer is currently circling the drain. We ran out of money a few months back, CEO was kicked out by the investors we then went into administration, got bought out and are currently going through a round of heavy restructuring/redundancies. 50% of those doing my role are going to be made redundant so I have obviously begun looking elsewhere.

It is almost certain that any future employer will be aware of all this as it was national news - what is the best approach to take when discussing my current company with any potential employer?

Were you working in a position where you can either be seen as responsible for what happened, or assumed that you should have known better and jumped ship sooner?

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'm a firm believer in the commandment of "always negotiate", but I'm questioning it for an upcoming interview. It's an entry level IT intra-company help desk job that actually pays extremely well from what I have read about local and national averages for similar positions, and I basically got an in solely from my friend who is on great terms with the manager. I don't have a degree or the basic certs, and I reeeeeally want this job as they will pay for employee certs, both in cost and paid time away from work to take tests, and my friend was promoted in a year from the same position with a pretty major raise (he has a degree, but it's of a completely non-relevant field). The base starting pay would already be over 50% more than I'm making right now (lovely warehouse dock job).

Would it be a little too presumptuous to ask for more, assuming I make it to the negotiation stage and I'm actually offered the same base pay as my friend prior?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
The true value of that job is that it takes you away from lovely warehouse job, teaches you skills, gets you certs and makes you marketable. What is your leverage for asking for more? They are taking all the risk here. Sure, maybe you can move the needle a little bit and I'm not saying "take whatever pittance they give you" but it sounds like this is your first "real job" so if they take a chance on you, make them glad they did. If they stretch pay-wise for you, you can be drat sure the expectations go up as well. If they give you a fair offer, I'd consider taking it and owning what could be a great opportunity for your career.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your BATNA for any offer they give you, provided it is roughly similar to your friend's experience, is terrible, so I would probably not bother.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Yeah that's about what I was thinking. I just wanted some confirmation that I was, in fact, being realistic and not just timid. Thanks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mixing fonts on your resume. How does it work? Not looking for anything over the top, just want some basic guidelines to follow.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Basic Guideline:

Don't.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Non Serviam posted:

Were you working in a position where you can either be seen as responsible for what happened, or assumed that you should have known better and jumped ship sooner?

Not really to the former, my role is product manager at a software firm. It's been common knowledge that we had cash flow problems (late paying staff etc) but the execs were never forthcoming about our exact financial state.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable posted:

Mixing fonts on your resume. How does it work? Not looking for anything over the top, just want some basic guidelines to follow.

Yeah I agree with the guy above me. Just don't. Maybe you can get away with it in the header with your name/contact info, but I wouldn't bother.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Gibfender posted:

Not really to the former, my role is product manager at a software firm. It's been common knowledge that we had cash flow problems (late paying staff etc) but the execs were never forthcoming about our exact financial state.

I know who you're working for and I wouldn't consider it a problem. You're pretty far removed from the mess, and from my POV the strongest thing to do is be able to talk about your accomplishments in an adverse environment.

Careful you don't get sucked into providing a perspective of why you think things are circling the drain right now - some people in your situation can find themselves just spewing non-constructive venom which can be taken as a sign that you're not in the right mindset to hit the ground running and being productive.

I doubt most interviewers would even ask about it.

Good luck on finding something better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any advice on cold-emailing a company to express interest in working for them? Left a job in a field that I really liked when we moved here a couple years ago, and one of my then-coworkers mentioned that a main competitor of theirs was located in the city where I'd now be living. I emailed them looking for an opening right when I moved here and they said they'd "let me know", AKA nothing. It's been a couple years since then and I still want to crack into that field, so I wanted to email them saying "hey I worked for so-and-so previously and I'm looking to re-enter this industry, let's keep in touch" but I'm struggling to come up with the right words. Advice?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

devoir posted:

I know who you're working for and I wouldn't consider it a problem. You're pretty far removed from the mess, and from my POV the strongest thing to do is be able to talk about your accomplishments in an adverse environment.

Careful you don't get sucked into providing a perspective of why you think things are circling the drain right now - some people in your situation can find themselves just spewing non-constructive venom which can be taken as a sign that you're not in the right mindset to hit the ground running and being productive.

I doubt most interviewers would even ask about it.

Good luck on finding something better.

Thanks for this, appreciate it. I've spoken to a fair few recruiters now and you're right. It hasn't really come up outside of me stating it being the reason I'm leaving.

My biggest concern was the new company having a concern that I'm not "loyal" enough and won't stick around when times are tough. But to be honest I'm not certain I'd want to work somewhere that took that view.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I'm getting laid off from my firm so I'm setting up my new resume. I got two options here for some filler: an actual job I worked (but not related to accounting) or the time I worked as a treasurer (basically the book accountant) for a school club for a few years. In the former, I was literally inventory management. The later, I grew the club's membership 25% and negotiated up our budget by 50% because of it.

Which should I go with?

Also, I've been out of college for about a year now. Probably should not put in the GPA as its a 3.27.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Covok posted:

So, I'm getting laid off from my firm so I'm setting up my new resume. I got two options here for some filler: an actual job I worked (but not related to accounting) or the time I worked as a treasurer (basically the book accountant) for a school club for a few years. In the former, I was literally inventory management. The later, I grew the club's membership 25% and negotiated up our budget by 50% because of it.

Which should I go with?

Also, I've been out of college for about a year now. Probably should not put in the GPA as its a 3.27.

The obvious question: what do you want to do? Generic advice is that your resume is a doc to generate enough interest to warrant someone talking to you. I'd include whatever is going to be most compelling to someone in your target field.

I don't do any real college recruiting, but I can't imagine caring about a GPA unless it was a 4.0 at a tough school.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

murked by dragon posted:

Yeah I agree with the guy above me. Just don't. Maybe you can get away with it in the header with your name/contact info, but I wouldn't bother.

poo poo, really? That's what I get for trusting "How to write your resume" articles. I was looking for fonts other than Times New Roman / Calibri / other generic crap, so I was doing Garamond for headers and Georgia for the main text (since the article said not to use Garamond for the whole thing).

Now that I write it out, that sounds really pretentious. Maybe just Georgia all across the board? I feel like that looks nice and not generic while also not seeming pretentious, but maybe I'm wrong about that too.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Honestly it doesn't matter. No one cares if it's pretty.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If there are multiple positions I'm interested in at a large company (but all in the same domain and location), should I:
1. Apply to all of them
2. Apply to the one I'm most interested in (Highest level with job duties I'm qualified for, but with a listed years of experience requirement greater than what I have), or
3. Apply to the one that has the greatest match to my years of experience (Lowest level, even though my KSAs far surpass the needs of the role)

If this was a smaller company I'd try to give a solid pitch about why the highest level position is the best fit for me, but the size of this organization is large enough that they clearly have a pretty formalized system that may or may not be amendable to such an attempt.
I'm more interested in what the company does and how I can contribute than any specifics of my job role, though obviously I want the highest paying position they'll take me for while still fitting my competencies.

I also managed to get my hands on the email for the HR person responsible for answering questions related to these roles, but I'm unsure how I should phrase my question.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

gently caress recruiters.

Them: Hey the HR team would like to chat about this job you applied for a few weeks back.

Me: OK would this be a phone call or in an in-person meeting? I'm free on days A, B, C for a phone call at these times. Alternatively, I could come into their office on days X, Y, Z. Do any of these options work?

Them: Hey, we really need to organise when you can chat to HR.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
In that vein, I have a resume covering 12 years, live in the Bay Area and operate in an in-demand role. I had an outreach last week that was a little lazy but the scenario seemed interesting. I responded, offering my email. The (external) recruiter's response was to palm me off to her associate who had 2 months experience in recruiting.

Told her I was no longer interested. The other recruiters I have engaged with and had a positive experience with have all had significant industry experience and understand the particulars of my role. A guy who had been bartending three months ago for five years prior isn't going to be any value to the company or me.

#firstworldproblems

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devoir posted:

In that vein, I have a resume covering 12 years, live in the Bay Area and operate in an in-demand role. I had an outreach last week that was a little lazy but the scenario seemed interesting. I responded, offering my email. The (external) recruiter's response was to palm me off to her associate who had 2 months experience in recruiting.

Told her I was no longer interested. The other recruiters I have engaged with and had a positive experience with have all had significant industry experience and understand the particulars of my role. A guy who had been bartending three months ago for five years prior isn't going to be any value to the company or me.

#firstworldproblems

If you land a new job you like who cares?

EDIT: Did you just come here to brag that you're too good for someone who made a career change? You're literally every bay area dickhead.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 27, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

CarForumPoster posted:

If you land a new job you like who cares?

EDIT: Did you just come here to brag that you're too good for someone who made a career change? You're literally every bay area dickhead.

Nah brah, he just won't waste time talking t some pleb who was bartending up until recently. That clearly means he can't do his job.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I'm looking to change careers to a completely different industry: publishing/editorial to web development. The reasons are various, but suffice it to say I (as well as most of my coworkers) am pretty miserable and I've realized I don't want to do this job here or really anywhere else for the long term. And, aside from what would likely be a hefty pay bump, I actually am interested in programming and development.

So, my question is how to best package myself so that HR and/or recruiters don't just see "editor" and throw my application out. I've tried to arrange my resume to put what I think is the most relevant stuff first, and I've tried to frame my job duties in a way that I hope suggests transferable skills, like good project management (not like, official PMing, but just seeing multiple projects through their full timeline) and coordination with multiple teams, etc. Numbers are hard here for a couple of reasons. One, the company doesn't use much in the way of easy-to-reference measurables. Two, the kinds of quantities we do have don't seem like things relevant or interesting for an IT or developer team. I doubt they care how much money any book I worked on brought in from rights sales. I figured I could try to calculate the percentage of projects that were completed on schedule, though even that is tricky because things are a bit more fluid than "this is your deadline," though I could certainly simplify it for my resume's sake. (By this I mean, even if the project wasn't uploaded by the date set by the overall sheet, regardless of whether because of me or something else, that doesn't mean printing or publication is delayed.)

That all said, I feel like what's left ends up sounding pretty generic and unimpressive. Hence starting with personal projects. I tried to format those in a way that shows what skills/languages/etc. I worked with so I didn't just have a list of things with no context. I do have some formal training. I actually started my undergrad as as CS major before switching, and I took the MITx CS course with Python. But the former was like, twelve years ago, and I didn't pay for the cert on the latter so I'm not sure if either is worth mentioning.

I've been sending applications out as I see things that seem like the right fit, updating my resume and projects as I go. I haven't heard back from anything yet except some random place that got my resume from somewhere else but that didn't seem at all worth going for. All told, though, I've probably only been seriously applying for four to six weeks.

Anyway, if anyone could take a look at my resume and see if they have any suggestions for it or just in general, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the New York area, which I hope helps. I'm planning to put all my stuff up for scrutiny in the Newbie Programmer thread once I clean stuff up a little but thought I'd start here, so I've redacted the info for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcileqs1zyjrrqo/redacted_resume.pdf?dl=0

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

z0331 posted:

I'm looking to change careers to a completely different industry: publishing/editorial to web development.

No feedback on where youre at right now but as an FYI, a friend was in the same boat, wanted to go Finance degree -> Developer. She did the 18 weeks (9 prep/9 on site) Dev Bootcamp program, landed a job quickly after graduation and they had her TA for the time between grad and starting her job. Overall she (to an outsider) seemed to make the transition smoothly and is doing very well as a dev now. Apparently Dev Bootcamp helps with placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I've definitely considered/looked into those things but am just not sure I can swing it financially, especially if it doesn't almost immediately lead to a job. Did your friend ever say whether she thought it was more valuable for the networking or for the skills?