Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's too bad the pilot of The Mick was not very good or representative of the show, because I want to recommend the rest to friends who watch Sunny.

I'm halfway through the season atm and the pilot was pretty boring but the show gets a lot better pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not impressed by The Mick. It's just Sweet Dee living out her fantasy as leader of the gang, except her gang is children now. And that fat lady who is some kind of Artemis/Frank lovechild is bad.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FogHelmut posted:

Not impressed by The Mick. It's just Sweet Dee living out her fantasy as leader of the gang, except her gang is children now. And that fat lady who is some kind of Artemis/Frank lovechild is bad.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FogHelmut posted:

Nah, it's great and your opinion is wrong

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah, I really don't feel that she's just Dee Reynolds. Other than being the same actress, I don't see that many connections (other than "person is garbage" which is a genre thing at this point). Even with Mick being a garbage person she's much less selfish in this show and seems to legitimately care for her family. Mick never has tried to be an actress, does not gag/barf, or do other Dee-like things. I'm happy to be argued with, though.

Also, the supporting cast is loving amazing--including Alba and Benito. I don't know how anybody is even arguing against that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She is nothing like Dee.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've only seen the first couple episodes, but Mickey being basically Dee without the gang was one of the better aspects imo, and Alba owns.

If I have any beef with it, it's that nobody outside Alba seems likable at all. Kinda the stoner buddy, too, but otherwise I pretty much wanted every character to get set on fire, to a greater extent than even Sunny (and unlike Sunny it didn't seem like this was a hundred percent intentional).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess my complaint is that i don't see what the Mick does or what stories it's telling as being able to stand out on their own. Like , no show has to exist, but I guess i don't think it does anything the 'best' or even that much better than anything already out there and it leaves me wondering "why is this getting made and for whom?". If i weren't invested in Caityln Olson as an actress i wouldn't have watched past Ep 1, but I personally think children aren't funny unless they are cartoon kids, and real life children people are just not entertaining to me and haven't been since Married w/ Children (where they were teenagers who acted like adult versions of kids).

Like I'd watch the Mick over maybe the worst 3 episodes of IAS, but short of my actual most disliked episodes it doesn't really come close to bottom tier IAS at all IMO.

It's not even a bad show, and it's not too sacharine, but I haven't had it hit it out of the park for me.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know what the song is in the little hulu bumper thing where Mick is drinking mouthwash?

Party Go Boom (featuring Robyn Johnson) by Wizardz Of Oz

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Latest episode of the Mick was pretty amazing. Only thing better than Alba is Alba on shrooms.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

Latest episode of the Mick was pretty amazing. Only thing better than Alba is Alba on shrooms.

I couldn't stop staring at that guy's amazing boobs.

Also Jimmy got fuuucked up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Make a thread for The Mick you lazy shits :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're not my real dad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

You're not my real dad.

Maybe your real dad bangs dudes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
little baby dudes

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Why would that be shady?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ninja alamode posted:

Why would that be shady?

What if the dudes are babies?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Make a thread for The Mick you lazy shits :argh:
No need, the season's over. It definitely needs its own thread next season, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess my complaint is that i don't see what the Mick does or what stories it's telling as being able to stand out on their own. Like , no show has to exist, but I guess i don't think it does anything the 'best' or even that much better than anything already out there and it leaves me wondering "why is this getting made and for whom?". If i weren't invested in Caityln Olson as an actress i wouldn't have watched past Ep 1, but I personally think children aren't funny unless they are cartoon kids, and real life children people are just not entertaining to me and haven't been since Married w/ Children (where they were teenagers who acted like adult versions of kids).

Like I'd watch the Mick over maybe the worst 3 episodes of IAS, but short of my actual most disliked episodes it doesn't really come close to bottom tier IAS at all IMO.

It's not even a bad show, and it's not too sacharine, but I haven't had it hit it out of the park for me.

If the episode with the birthday party didn't pull you in, then it's probably not the show for you.
But, you know, you realize that you can watch multiple shows, even if they're similar to one another and even if they're not the best show you've ever seen. It's okay to do that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

No their real dad bangs little girls

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The Mick is a bit normie cable show compared to Sunny, but it's a decent watch because Katlin is fun to watch.

Wish the deadbeat husband had a bit more of a role, I like that character a lot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, the Mick is yet another sitcom, it's a good sitcom but comparing it to Sunny doesn't do it any favors.

Sunny really is 'its own thing', I don't even know how to describe it. It's a series of trainwrecks orchestrated to make you lose your poo poo and it sets up some incredibly absurd humor while also managing to insert some clever and non-obvious commentary here and there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_-HnVhKlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJd5oQXt4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjfhOdZWaM

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZycpoGC9yW8

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
How Danny DeVito Eats an Egg (and Still Says His Lines) on Broadway

This man is a goddamn national treasure. Every time I see him outside of Sunny I am reminded of how old Danny is. When he goes, I'll probably just end it.

Ajaxify fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 2, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

This man is a goddamn national treasure. Every time I see him outside of Sunny I am reminded of how old Danny is. When he goes, I'll probably just end it.
I'll be sure to give you an egg in that troubling time.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ajaxify posted:

Do you want a funeral or should we just toss you into the trash?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'll be sure to give you an egg in that troubling time.

Look man, I don't want to say I'm a bigger sunny fan than you, but it's "trying time" not "troubling".

David D. Davidson posted:

Do you want a funeral or should we just toss you into the trash?

Just toss me in the trash. And you can bang me all you want. Who cares? A dead body is like a piece of trash. I mean shove as much poo poo in there as you want. Fill me up with cream. Turn me into cannoli. Make a soup up my rear end. Whats the big deal? Bang me. Eat me. Grind me up into little pieces and throw me in the river. Who gives a poo poo? You're dead, you're dead.

Oh poo poo, is my POST BUTTON ON?!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Janitor got a hold of the mic. Puerto Rican guy...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Danny eat the egg

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mick season finale: I like definitevely closing the door on "parents love us and are coming back", but I don't know how I feel about them losing the house. If I had to guess, it's going to turn into oh no now we are poor next season and I don't think it will work but who knows.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Remember when people said that Trump would be great for comedy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

No.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Watching Fargo, wondering who's going to show up next!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Guy Mann posted:

Did anyone ever say that? All I heard was that he is so ridiculous that he'd destroy the very essence of all comedy.
Looks like that was right.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ChesterJT posted:

Watching Fargo, wondering who's going to show up next!

:aaaaa: man I gotta catch up. I've only finished season 1.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did anyone ever say that? All I heard was that he is so ridiculous that he'd destroy the very essence of all comedy.
Looks like that was right.

I remember people saying how easy the late night comedians will have it with Pres Trump... and they were right. Now the just have to throw up a twitter post or a clip from one of his speeches and then just stare at the audience for a good 5 minutes in silence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Burning_Monk posted:

I remember people saying how easy the late night comedians will have it with Pres Trump... and they were right. Now the just have to throw up a twitter post or a clip from one of his speeches and then just stare at the audience for a good 5 minutes in silence.

Funny you should say this as, in the Trump thread, some article was linked where late night writers were infuriated with Trump because they HAVE to write jokes about him, which means they can't look away from US politics ever. Like, he is so prominent in people's minds and the media that they got to pay attention so they can be the first to right jokes and it is apparently depressing the hell out of them and making them hyper anxious.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'd really prefer comedians and comedy writers would just ignore Trump altogether because at this point it's beating a dead horse. Except that the horse is alive and he's the executive authority and symbolic figurehead of our country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FELD1 posted:

I'd really prefer comedians and comedy writers would just ignore Trump altogether because at this point it's beating a dead horse. Except that the horse is alive and he's the executive authority and symbolic figurehead of our country.

Everyone is to scared to ignore the problem, but you are right joking about it doesn't seem to be doing much either. Hoda' thunk.