Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

Why do people never factor in cost of OS when discussing how much it would cost them to build a Switch?

Or the R&D costs, shipping, warehousing, marketing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Utnayan posted:

Not to single you out, but this is the exact reason why the industry is stagnant and in a stand still. Why are gaming consumers the only one's to not press for better design and higher end components in their devices, and higher end development? Because "It's good enough" has been the mainstay for the last 15 years. We finally got around to some exciting stuff with Virtual reality, and hopefully some augmented reality, and here we have people basically stating they do not care about dpi on the 6.2" 720 touch screen manufactured 5 years ago because it plays games so big deal and you, the Switch player (And everyone else that loves the Switch) is all up in arms about how great it is to be using technology that should have been launched 5 years ago in a stagnant section of the gaming industry that ignored you for decades. I guess something is better than nothing? Think of where the Switch COULD be right now. That's the crappy part of it all.

Imagine what we would be playing right now if the current mindset of "Good enough" was a thing of the past. It's like that old adage of the entitled gamer. Yes, they are entitled. They just bought your product. If someone buys my product, I'll bend over backwards to make sure they continue to buy more products. Kind of goes to the Ego in this industry. It's appalling.

Because if it had a higher-res screen it'd need more power to push those pixels, making it heavier and hotter and more expensive, you colossal loving goofus

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cardboard Box posted:

sonic racing transformed was an awesome game. i wish they'd make another one of those.

Same, there was a lot of things in Sonic Transformed I liked way more than MK8 and it sucks that there's probably not gonna be another anytime soon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^

Spacebump posted:

Why do people never factor in cost of OS when discussing how much it would cost them to build a Switch?

Because they are being disingenuous or are stupid idiot assholes, or, sometimes, both.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

I heard those games were fun, but never got around to playing them. I'd be pumped to get a MGS HD collection. Bluepoint did an awesome job with that.

Metal Gear Solid 4's Sony exclusivity would make things a bit trickier.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Why Does No One Attribute The Cost Of Wizards Used In This Sorcery: It Changes From A Portable To A Console In A Click, Holy poo poo!

an op-ed piece

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Loved it on my Wii U. But for some reason I liked Sonic Racing better on PC.

I heard Sonic was great too. I missed the boat on the Wii U so it's my first Mario Kart game in a long time. Good times racing with goons.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Guys, we don't need to get mad. Ignore his hot takes and enjoy some Tetris. :3:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Metal Gear Solid 4's Sony exclusivity would make things a bit trickier.

True, the HD Collection didn't have it. Just had 2, 3, Peace Walker and MG1 and 2. I think the Legacy Collection on PS3 was the one that had MGS4 included.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't MGS4 made specifically to best use the PS3's weird architecture? So that it would be a way bigger deal to port MGS4 to another system than it was for the other ones?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SystemLogoff posted:

Guys, we don't need to get mad. Ignore his hot takes and enjoy some Tetris. :3:

They are piping hot from the poo poo over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wasn't MGS4 made specifically to best use the PS3's weird architecture? So that it would be a way bigger deal to port MGS4 to another system than it was for the other ones?

That's probably a part of it, the other part being that it's one of the less popular Metal Gears.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

a.lo posted:

ha ha I am new to Switch. Any advice for me?
have fun

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they said that, or even if it was true, but I think the main issue was that the game had a metric fuckton of cutscenes and barely fit on the blurays as it was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

That's probably a part of it, the other part being that it's one of the less popular Metal Gears.

Which is hosed up, because it's great.

Also, I just rememebered my favorite fact about MGS4 that would make it impossible to port to the 360. When they were done with the game they realized it wouldn't take up an entire bluray disc, so they decided to just go ahead and fill the left over space with incredibly huge sound files.

That's why MGS4 sounds so good.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Which is hosed up, because it's great.

Also, I just rememebered my favorite fact about MGS4 that would make it impossible to port to the 360. When they were done with the game they realized it wouldn't take up an entire bluray disc, so they decided to just go ahead and fill the left over space with incredibly huge sound files.

That's why MGS4 sounds so good.

Oh right, it was the sound. I knew it was something goofy about the space.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It really does sound fantastic

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Switch is so cool. It's kind of the culmination of everything Nintendo has been trying to do for twenty years. It's so close to perfection that it makes the minor flaws it currently has stand out even more because they came so close to realizing it. It's begging for a second​ revision. I hope it continues to be a huge success so the New Nintendo Switch or whatever can really deliver on this idea.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
They should make Kirby Tilt N Tumble 2 for the switch

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They should make every good game for the switch

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

The Switch is so cool. It's kind of the culmination of everything Nintendo has been trying to do for twenty years. It's so close to perfection that it makes the minor flaws it currently has stand out even more because they came so close to realizing it. It's begging for a second​ revision. I hope it continues to be a huge success so the New Nintendo Switch or whatever can really deliver on this idea.

Where's does it fail

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

bef posted:

Where's does it fail

No mouse wheel shoulder buttons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HD Rumble is so last year. It should have 4K rumble. I want it to destroy my house.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bef posted:

Where's does it fail

Apparently it uses 5 year old parts you can buy off eBay

At least that's what I heard from a reputable source

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
While it's clear the SWitch is a revolutionary product that will house a stellar lineup of games enjoyed by millions for years to come, Nintendo has failed miserably at giving any idea of how they'll top the system, or what they'll be releasing in five years to replace the Switch. And for that, I can only give the console a final score 2 out of 10. See my full review at Polygon dot com

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Phantasium posted:

HD Rumble is so last year. It should have 4K rumble. I want it to destroy my house.

Nah I want Retina Rumble, I want the entire Eastern Continental Shelf to quake while I'm getting jobbed by a gang of Lakitus on Mt. Wario.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Louisgod posted:

While it's clear the SWitch is a revolutionary product that will house a stellar lineup of games enjoyed by millions for years to come, Nintendo has failed miserably at giving any idea of how they'll top the system, or what they'll be releasing in five years to replace the Switch. And for that, I can only give the console a final score 2 out of 10. See my full review at Polygon dot com

Switch U is going to be great.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a.lo posted:

I went to my local Honda service center with my Switch playing Mario Kart and some kid told his mom "this guy has the PS4 on the go" I told the kid, "no this is the Switch, not the PlayStation 4. With it you can practically take it anywhere."

Did you give the kid a look that implied that anywhere could mean the trunk of your civic?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

bef posted:

Where's does it fail

Where did I say the word fail.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Louisgod posted:

Oh my god utnayan is Ben Kucheras alter ego

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like playing video games

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

Oh my god, just answer his question. What are the flaws you believe the switch has, don't get into some dumbass pedantry about failure vs flaw, jesus chirst.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

DoctorWhat posted:

Because if it had a higher-res screen it'd need more power to push those pixels, making it heavier and hotter and more expensive, you colossal loving goofus

Not true at all. The system already pushes 1080p in the dock. Only thing that would have been needed to over come was a stronger battery. It's not like the dock is anything other than an hdmi pass through, you realize this right? At least the secondary device lobby and online system could have been justified. It's all fine don't get me wrong. We live in a gaming world of "Thanks so much for allowing us to spend our money and getting at least this much" that it closes the door to the thought that this should have been out in 2011, and the advancement would have been a lot better by now. Forced by consumers demanding better.

AutisticScreeching
Dec 16, 2016

Imagined posted:

Reeeeeeeeeee

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I like... the Switch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Utnayan posted:

Not true at all. The system already pushes 1080p in the dock. Only thing that would have been needed to over come was a stronger battery. It's not like the dock is anything other than an hdmi pass through, you realize this right?

I know right. I've been saying all along it should have been thinner, had triple the battery, and been cheaper, with a higher res screen, 4G wirelesss, 3D, UMD, and a belt clip.

Glad we're not idiots - everyone else is.

Idiots.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Utnayan posted:

Not true at all. The system already pushes 1080p in the dock. Only thing that would have been needed to over come was a stronger battery. It's not like the dock is anything other than an hdmi pass through, you realize this right? At least the secondary device lobby and online system could have been justified. It's all fine don't get me wrong. We live in a gaming world of "Thanks so much for allowing us to spend our money and getting at least this much" that it closes the door to the thought that this should have been out in 2011, and the advancement would have been a lot better by now. Forced by consumers demanding better.

But what about the games, are the games good?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like playing video games

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

Not to single you out, but this is the exact reason why the industry is stagnant and in a stand still. Why are gaming consumers the only one's to not press for better design and higher end components in their devices, and higher end development? Because "It's good enough" has been the mainstay for the last 15 years. We finally got around to some exciting stuff with Virtual reality, and hopefully some augmented reality, and here we have people basically stating they do not care about dpi on the 6.2" 720 touch screen manufactured 5 years ago because it plays games so big deal and you, the Switch player (And everyone else that loves the Switch) is all up in arms about how great it is to be using technology that should have been launched 5 years ago in a stagnant section of the gaming industry that ignored you for decades. I guess something is better than nothing? Think of where the Switch COULD be right now. That's the crappy part of it all.

Imagine what we would be playing right now if the current mindset of "Good enough" was a thing of the past. It's like that old adage of the entitled gamer. Yes, they are entitled. They just bought your product. If someone buys my product, I'll bend over backwards to make sure they continue to buy more products. Kind of goes to the Ego in this industry. It's appalling.

Ah yes, the multi-billion and consistently growing games industry is stagnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whats this reeeee thing? Gonna guess its probably really meanspirited

• Locked thread