Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I was evangelizing the game pretty hard at Gamestop today, but shamefully no-one else there knew what System Shock was or why they should be excited for a spiritual sequel to it. "It's by the guys who did Dishonored" got a decent amount of traction, though.

This is why I've just started telling people "it's Bioshock in space" because the people I'd be telling don't know what System Shock is.

Also I've never played System Shock, so I don't feel good comparing Prey to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't know but Arkane needs to share this magnificent shrinking technology with the rest of the world because 60gb for loving Doom was bonkers

To be fair, a lot of Doom's file size is taken up by all the multiplayer/snapmap stuff outside of the single player campaign. Which is annoying in its own way, since I still haven't touched any of that stuff despite beating the main game three times and I wish there was a checkbox to leave it uninstalled. It was even doing a thing with separate executables last I checked.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

how the f am i supposed to know what these random status symbols mean?

edit: ohhh i see that section comes as i progress into the game nm

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i wish 'back out of menu' and 'use psi power' weren't on the same key. I'd like to bind the psy thing to something I hit less often, like the ctrl button.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Hi, does this game have that inane vita-chamber stuff from Bioshock and if so can I switch it off without the game feeling like its difficulty curve is broke

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so for people who have played this enough to form an opinion, is this another doom 2016 situation? complete garbage marketing but a cool+good game?

because i haven't heard/seen anything about this game since it was announced.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Roobanguy posted:

so for people who have played this enough to form an opinion, is this another doom 2016 situation? complete garbage marketing but a cool+good game?

the game is being pretty much unanimously praised in here for what that's worth. can't speak to any wider reception. for my own money, it's really worth it if you liked system shock 2 at all.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

They did this deliberately. Nobody got copies of the game to preview. There is a "hour with prey" up on polygon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Space Hamlet posted:

Hi, does this game have that inane vita-chamber stuff from Bioshock and if so can I switch it off without the game feeling like its difficulty curve is broke

Nope. When you die, it's reload from the last checkpoint.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nope. When you die, it's reload from the last checkpoint.

Noice, thx

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This game isn't good, it's freaking amazing. There's so much optional stuff to get lost in and there are always cool rewards for exploring. Piecing together the story and filling-in the blanks and details owns as well. There's still a question how the game plays later on but so far it's pretty much the next big thing.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 6, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
do you think making the turret voice as creepy as possible is a design feature by the company

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Really love all the hidden stuff. Not sure about the combat yet. I feel uncertain about what to do with the different types of enemies. Mimics I just shock them or goo them then get them with the wrench, or even just straight up wrench since they're not too hard to avoid. The robots I glue up and plug away with the dinky 9mm since they explode in your face if you melee. The human typhons though, I'm not sure. I usually come away with less hp, and I'm not even sure what's hurting me. Some kind of shock? But it doesn't seem to come from them directly. The ones with elemental properties I'm just avoiding. They just tear me up and shake off goo like nothing. I don't feel the power of sneaking, either. The tutorial says you can get the drop on enemies but it just ends up in a straight fight anyway, so far. Maybe when I get sneak attack. I appreciate having atypical weaponry to most shooters but it feels weird.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Neurosis posted:

the game is being pretty much unanimously praised in here for what that's worth. can't speak to any wider reception. for my own money, it's really worth it if you liked system shock 2 at all.

incoherent posted:

They did this deliberately. Nobody got copies of the game to preview. There is a "hour with prey" up on polygon.

Palpek posted:

This game isn't good, it's freaking amazing. There's so much optional stuff to get lost in and there are always cool rewards for exploring. Piecing together the story and filling-in the blanks and details owns as well. There's still a question how the game plays later on but so far it's pretty much the next big thing.

alright, cool. when i first saw the announcement trailer i thought it seemed cool, but no pre-release footage is usually a warning sign.

i'll probably pick it up because i do like that system shock 2.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Flubby posted:

Really love all the hidden stuff. Not sure about the combat yet. I feel uncertain about what to do with the different types of enemies. Mimics I just shock them or goo them then get them with the wrench, or even just straight up wrench since they're not too hard to avoid. The robots I glue up and plug away with the dinky 9mm since they explode in your face if you melee. The human typhons though, I'm not sure. I usually come away with less hp, and I'm not even sure what's hurting me. Some kind of shock? But it doesn't seem to come from them directly. The ones with elemental properties I'm just avoiding. They just tear me up and shake off goo like nothing. I don't feel the power of sneaking, either. The tutorial says you can get the drop on enemies but it just ends up in a straight fight anyway, so far. Maybe when I get sneak attack. I appreciate having atypical weaponry to most shooters but it feels weird.

You start off with a basic sneak attack, first hit out of stealth does 150% damage, so a good shotgun blast will do some decent damage if you let them get close and then blast em as an opener, grenades like the recycler ones seem to get the bonus as well or at least I got a message popup for it. Can also try and lure them near to pipes on the walls or throw fire canisters and then blow those up, usually halves their health at least. I think combat is supposed to feel a bit tough early on (and I assume it'll start feeling a lot more even later when you get more powers later on).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so wait, you can kill the guy on the radio giving you objectives and try to finish the game that way?

that's fantastic

holy poo poo I can't wait to start playing this tonight. Arkane is so loving good about choices but I did not expect something like this to be one of them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Not to just add to the praise, but Prey is likely my GOTY, holy poo poo.

It's everything Deus Ex og was, but modernized/built in 2017. Unlike the new Deus Ex games or other similar games that claimed to be Deus Ex like, it's not just mimicking the structure of Deus Ex og to appeal to that nostalgia. It's saying ok, what's the next step. It's the twisted baby of Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and it's so good to be playing a game like this again.

There is no reason not to be playing this right now, outside of money/time. It's blowing every other game of it's type out of the water.

I killed a major story NPC and the game just kept rolling with it. I just now don't get advice/help that I should be getting. It's an open world! It's a totally open space station, you just have to find the parts/ways into the areas that are initially locked off, yet in true fashion all of them have multiple ways in. I got the shotgun super early because I used a power combo I wasn't supposed to even have yet to get it, because I found that power combo by loving around in a different area. I don't even have a main quest anymore! I just have to wander around and hopefully figure out how to save the station through my own ability.

It's just incredibly open. Scarily so.

God I just can't stop gushing about this game.

SO THERE ARE TURRETS RIGHT? LIKE BIOSHOCK. RIGHT? OR DEUS EX. AND I KEPT RUNNING BACK TO ONE TO DRAW MIMICS INTO SO I COULD DEAL WITH GROUPS. GROUP ONE TOOK THE BAIT. GROUP TWO KIND OF TOOK THE BAIT, BUT SCURRIED OFF. GROUP 2 WENT AND FOUND MORE MIMICS, CAME BACK, AND FLANKED THE loving TURRET WHILE I WAS FIGHTING THEM, LETTING ONE SNEAK AROUND BEHIND IT TO KNOCK IT OUT. HE RAN THROUGH MULTIPLE OTHER ROOMS TO FLANK THIS TURRET TO KNOCK IT OFF WHILE I WAS DEALING WITH HIS BUDDIES. THEN ANOTHER GROUP THAT WAS THE ITEMS IN THE BAR POPPED UP AS SOON AS THE TURRET WENT DOWN AND KILLED ME. I GOT TRICKED BY THE loving ENEMIES.

I couldn't stop laughing during the entire thing. The AI tricked me! THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 6, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
wow its like reading this thread with nothing to do on a Friday night just surgically extracted $50 from my wallet and in about 30 minutes I'll be injecting alien enzymes into my brain...

Honestly I got burned pretty bad by following goon group think into neir Automata (Played through Ending A, realized I hated hacking and havent touched it since) but i know from playing the demo on my step-dad's X-box 1 that this game is 100% my poo poo so i'm willing to eat the loss if it ends up being too scary for me.

Do the higher difficulty modes feel fair? I like to play on the hardest settings whenever possible.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys, is there a ps4 pro mode for this? What's the difference?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bust Rodd posted:

wow its like reading this thread with nothing to do on a Friday night just surgically extracted $50 from my wallet and in about 30 minutes I'll be injecting alien enzymes into my brain...

Honestly I got burned pretty bad by following goon group think into neir Automata (Played through Ending A, realized I hated hacking and havent touched it since) but i know from playing the demo on my step-dad's X-box 1 that this game is 100% my poo poo so i'm willing to eat the loss if it ends up being too scary for me.

Do the higher difficulty modes feel fair? I like to play on the hardest settings whenever possible.

i havent tried the higher diffs, but if it helps, the hacking minigame is basically pinball. it is great.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Game seems cool so far but was the store page fibbing about those highly modular difficulty settings like Dishonored 2 had?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I seem to be stuck.

I'm supposed to talk to January, but I don't have a map marker and can't find it. My marker points to Psychotronics (I don't remember receiving this quest, but I have it) but I need the keycard.
Edit: OK found him now.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 6, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So even more exciting about this game (because I still haven't booted it up) is that it looks like the director for this game is the guy who did Dishonored 1 as opposed to Dishonored 2.
That's not to say that 2 was bad, but just that 1 was so supremely good especially compared to contemporary games whereas 2 felt more like a safe follow-up. I hope that it's the case that the bulk of the creative energy has been focused on this game.

The only thing I don't get is why is this game called "Prey"?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rookersh posted:

Not to just add to the praise, but Prey is likely my GOTY, holy poo poo.

It's everything Deus Ex og was, but modernized/built in 2017. Unlike the new Deus Ex games or other similar games that claimed to be Deus Ex like, it's not just mimicking the structure of Deus Ex og to appeal to that nostalgia. It's saying ok, what's the next step.

This is exactly right. Every time I see something I think I've seen before (and I mean story and character as well as setting and mechanics) they take it farther than I expect instead of simplifying it.

The game is basically what I remember System Shock 1 and 2 being in my rose-tinted glasses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The only thing I don't get is why is this game called "Prey"?

It's a name Beth already had the rights to and wanted to use.

It works as a generic name for any FPS with a vaguely vulnerable protagonist. Don't know if there's a deeper connotation.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I got the mimic ability and found a room I wanted to get into but couldn't manage it due to nothing to stand on near the window. I am dumb why didn't I just move something there to stand on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

It's a name Beth already had the rights to and wanted to use.

It works as a generic name for any FPS with a vaguely vulnerable protagonist. Don't know if there's a deeper connotation.

It kinda seems like they kinda just built System Shock 3 assuming they could wrangle the rights. I'm just not sure what's gained by stapling a different series' name onto it but I'm down either way.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Be prepared to avoid fights whenever realistically possible and still die a whole bunch. Like, a whole bunch. One or two enemies can either stunlock you (in space only, mercifully) or nearly oneshot you (at range!), and while you absolutely don't have to fight them working around them is no picnic either and often results in you missing out on pretty great stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm playing without any Typhon Mods, which would make the aforementioned enemies much easier to deal with. That MAY be coloring my perception somewhat :)

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 6, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Be prepared to avoid fights whenever realistically possible and still die a whole bunch. Like, a whole bunch. One or two enemies can either stunlock you (in space only, mercifully) or nearly oneshot you (at range!), and while you absolutely don't have to fight them working around them is no picnic either and often results in you missing out on pretty great stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm playing without any Typhon Mods, which would make the aforementioned enemies much easier to deal with. That MAY be coloring my perception somewhat :)

Yeah I'm doing that too. I suspect in this kind of game it might have some plot importance.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Neurosis posted:

What exactly do you mean when you say this?

I loved System Shock 2, but it's a game where I remember slowly inching forwards through a level, preserving ammunition by using your wrench and hoarding resources so that you can repair your gun when it breaks. It was more like a survival horror game and even when you got strong was never run and gun, while videos of this look like straight up action.

Space Hamlet posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer? Save-scumming is way more broken than games with integrated death and respawn mechanics, especially with any kind of resource scarcity at all.

e: Ok who cares you guys have sold me anyway. Way too many good games being name-dropped itt not to check it out.

hampig fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

hampig posted:

I loved System Shock 2, but it's a game where I remember slowly inching forwards through a level, preserving ammunition by using your wrench and hoarding resources so that you can repair your gun when it breaks. It was more like a survival horror game and even when you got strong was never run and gun, while videos of this look like straight up action.

this is not run and gun at all and is pretty much exactly like what you describe - maybe a little more forgiving on resources. also not quite as scary imo but body horror really gets to me and ss2's body horror was good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is an awesome survival horror game but in terms of traditional horror I would say that it's a little heavy on the jumpscares due to the Mimics.

The physics engine needs to calm down a bit. I came across a room where I was dead sure it was swarming with mimics because a bunch of boxes were just flying all over the room at top speed in a very square tornado. Nope, just a bunch of normal boxes glitching the hell out of the environment.

I also saw a trash can spinning in midair really quickly. I thought it was another glitch but that one WAS a mimic.

I really need to find out how to get more metal because I'm loaded down with everything else but scrambling to get scrap metal. Even recycler grenades on metal items don't give that much.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

hampig posted:

What exactly do you mean when you say this?

This is 100% what I'm doing. Both Mimics and Phantoms are way too powerful to just shotgun rear end in a top hat them, even with the preorder shotgun. Ammo is less scarce because I can just fabricate it, but my guns/suit/me/my turrets I need to beat Phantoms need parts, and I don't have the resources to waste right now.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Deus Ex meets SS2, but with lean modern design? Struggling to contain the hype :)

Can't wait to crouch behind stuff and inspect rooms :hellyeah:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

hampig posted:

Deus Ex meets SS2, but with lean modern design? Struggling to contain the hype :)

Can't wait to crouch behind stuff and inspect rooms :hellyeah:

Deus Ex meets SS2, meets a metroidvania ( but rather then "find double jump" it's "do you want to unlock double jump to explore more." ), in an open world setting.

It's honestly super hard not to just gush about this game constantly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I will say that it's not a horrible idea to spec into stealth. I avoided it thus far, but in retrospect it isn't a bad idea since you don't *need* to kill enemies. All it really gets you is exotic material, which you will be *rolling* in before long.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I will say that it's not a horrible idea to spec into stealth. I avoided it thus far, but in retrospect it isn't a bad idea since you don't *need* to kill enemies. All it really gets you is exotic material, which you will be *rolling* in before long.

Yeah I'm early in the game and iv'e just been stealthing around phantoms instead of fighting them usually. You can also spec into better stealth attacks so you can do huge damage with the wrench.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd honestly say Leverage is also one of the top powers to unlock quickly. Hacking and Engineering are important, but Leverage really helps early on against Phantoms, and early on more stuff is hidden behind blocked areas then behind hacking/broken stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah I'm early in the game and iv'e just been stealthing around phantoms instead of fighting them usually. You can also spec into better stealth attacks so you can do huge damage with the wrench.

My issue with the stealth is that I haven't found any weapons to really capitalize on that bonus with. Even if you spec to 300% you are only doubling your sneak attack damage, which iirc is not enough to kill a Phantom with a shotgun blast, only get it low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what are you supposed to do about weavers? those things kill me so quick I don't even know what they're doing to me.