Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Goku cares about Gohan but isn't a very good dad. These two facts are not mutually exclusive. He never had a great grasp over what his son wants and keeps misunderstanding and thinking his son wants to be him

Gohan was brow-beaten by his mother into thinking he wants to be a nerd. He absolutely wants to be his dad, not so much when he was 6, but certainly after he reaches his teens (the same age Goku went out into the world).

The problem is Gohan is bad at it, and always will be. He doesn't understand his dad, is too desperate to impress him, and his ideas about heroism and justice are hosed up (he has the same obsession with showmanship/pageantry as Gotenks).

TFS Gohan will grow up much healthier because he's already had his breakthrough about his father being a neglectful monster (but can still love him). Super Gohan is still spiking his hair and dressing in an orange gi, begging for his father's approval while dying of poison in an exhibition match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

Gohan was brow-beaten by his mother into thinking he wants to be a nerd. He absolutely wants to be his dad, not so much when he was 6, but certainly after he reaches his teens (the same age Goku went out into the world).

So I guess you missed where part of the big point of the Cell fight was that Gohan DOESN'T want to hurt people, and has to be pushed to the point where he's basically a ball of uncontrollable rage to access enough power to win? After which, while being sadistic and reckless, he almost gets everything on the planet killed?

Gohan doesn't want to be his dad. Gohan doesn't enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting. Gohan fights to help people, and enjoys helping people in general. That's why his father's a martial arts master who's endangered multiple universes, and Gohan is a superhero with a day job.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't think Gohan has much drive to imitate Goku. By the looks of things he really seems better off and happier being a dull nerd dad. The death defying scenarios he finds himself in seem to be mostly horrifically traumatic, watching friends and family being slaughtered and tortured by alien invaders or galactic tyrants while he's struggled to muster the courage to do anything about, and when he does he usually gets beaten within an inch of his life with the prospect that everything he's known will get annihilated a minute after, and all this before he's even able to grow facial hair. When he is effective its almost always when he's snapped and gone full on blood crazed psycho mode who reveals in the pain and terror of his foes even if it means drawing out things much longer than necessary, its never really stated but I suspect that's an aspect of himself he's extremely ashamed of.

When there aren't any threats he pretty much immediately slacked off on his training, even when his mom was less concerned about that sort of thing, he only got back into shape in Super after Frieza almost killed him (again) and he seems to be doing it more to responsibly protect his family rather than any intrinsic love of battle like Goku. The greatest extent that he enjoys fighting is more putting on the Great Saiyaman costume and fighting easy targets where nobody really gets hurt that make him look like a cool superhero.

Its one of the reasons I found it a bit annoying that people would complain that Super made Gohan a pussy before the current arc because it felt like a natural thing for his character to do (certainly more than Videl turning into a housewife) and it laid down a longer arc that's getting payoff now about how he feels the need the get back on top of his training if only to protect his wife and child and find a middle ground between spending all day in the Library and being dropped in a desolate wasteland with no preparation by a green monster man for a year to survive on his own before a fight to the death with super powered aliens.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goku: Wheeeee! This sure is a fun fight I'm having! I want to do this forever, don't you Freezer?

Gohan: I will paint the walls of my daughter's nursery with your blood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

The problem is Gohan is bad at it, and always will be. He doesn't understand his dad, is too desperate to impress him, and his ideas about heroism and justice are hosed up (he has the same obsession with showmanship/pageantry as Gotenks).

TFS Gohan will grow up much healthier because he's already had his breakthrough about his father being a neglectful monster (but can still love him). Super Gohan is still spiking his hair and dressing in an orange gi, begging for his father's approval while dying of poison in an exhibition match.

Gohan does not want to be his dad. He's coming to understand parts of him but at the end of the day Gohan wants to go home and be a salary man and spend time with his daughter and maybe be a goofy posing superhero. That is his ideal life and it is fine. He's a Saiyan and so he's got some fightblood in him but you see the same thing happening to Vegeta, who was legitimately willing to give up a chance for a big fight to spend time with his newborn daughter.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gohan DOES enjoy fighting, just not to the same extent as Goku, and not for the same reasons. That's something the End of Z showed, and something Videl is encouraging him to rediscover at the start of the current arc when she tells him to hang out with his dad. For Gohan, it's about doing it as a sport, not fighting to the utmost for high stakes where you put absolutely 100 percent of yourself into it and put yourself and the other person's life on the line.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
in summation: that boy ain't right

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bardock: Fighting is fun but it's mostly part of the job

Goku: Fighting is really loving fun and at times is the only reason worth living for

Gohan: Fighting is fun but it's mostly to protect people

Goten: does not have a character separate from Trunks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

Gohan does not want to be his dad. He's coming to understand parts of him but at the end of the day Gohan wants to go home and be a salary man and spend time with his daughter and maybe be a goofy posing superhero. That is his ideal life and it is fine. He's a Saiyan and so he's got some fightblood in him but you see the same thing happening to Vegeta, who was legitimately willing to give up a chance for a big fight to spend time with his newborn daughter.

I mean, so did Goku? He spent several years not fighting when Gohan was an infant and spent time with him.

And Vegeta and Goku both abandoned their other child in infancy for dumb fightman reasons.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 6, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vegeta just left.

Goku was killed.

Bit different, that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No Goku left first then died later.

Then left again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku died to raditz
then stayed on some random planet learning to teleport for a while
then died again
then flew off into the sunset with the reincarnation of a magical bubblegum monster

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The saiyans are a horrible people, end of story.

Gohan isn't immune either; he's the one trying his damnedest to hide this universal tournament stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe we need some kind of plot to eliminate the Saiyans.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Gohan is cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You guys keep getting into an argument with a guy that literally said krillin wasn't goku's friend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah because Goku doesn't have friends.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kurui Reiten posted:

So I guess you missed where part of the big point of the Cell fight...

That's not Teen Gohan.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

You guys keep getting into an argument with a guy that literally said krillin wasn't goku's friend

I literally said that Krillin and Goku weren't best friends.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sassassin posted:

I literally said that Krillin and Goku weren't best friends.
Dare I ask?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Funky Valentine posted:

Bardock: Fighting is fun but it's mostly part of the job

Goku: Fighting is really loving fun and at times is the only reason worth living for

Gohan: Fighting is fun but it's mostly to protect people

Goten: does not have a character separate from Trunks

GT Goten: Fighting is lame, dad, I have a date later

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

They are childhood friends, but they're not close as adults. Even in Dragonball they only spent significant amounts of time with each other during Roshi's first training period. Gohan was 4 or 5 before Krillin knew he existed. Both are far closer with other people, in Goku's case because he only remembers people exist when they have something he wants, which is almost always fight or food-related).

To Goku, Krillin is something like a pet (Goku is John Wick).

To Krillin, Goku is that friend you had who went on to become rich and famous without you. You try to keep in touch but mostly only see each other at weddings and funerals.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sassassin posted:

They are childhood friends, but they're not close as adults. Even in Dragonball they only spent significant amounts of time with each other during Roshi's first training period. Gohan was 4 or 5 before Krillin knew he existed. Both are far closer with other people, in Goku's case because he only remembers people exist when they have something he wants, which is almost always fight or food-related).

To Goku, Krillin is something like a pet (Goku is John Wick).

To Krillin, Goku is that friend you had who went on to become rich and famous without you. You try to keep in touch but mostly only see each other at weddings and funerals.
Counter-argument: Goku having weird ideas about friendship doesn't make those friendship feelings he does have any less valid. Krillin isn't ever really shown interacting with anyone else aside from the Z-Fighters and later 18, and even Krillin isn't pathetic enough to really spend any time with Yamcha.

If anything, Goku and Krillin are childhood friends who are still close, and stay in touch (as much as Goku stays in touch with anyone, anyways) even though their lives went in different directions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
eh goten has a personality. he's a very nice, sweet, and dumb boy who trunks is a terrible influence on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

Counter-argument: Goku having weird ideas about friendship doesn't make those friendship feelings he does have any less valid. Krillin isn't ever really shown interacting with anyone else aside from the Z-Fighters and later 18, and even Krillin isn't pathetic enough to really spend any time with Yamcha.

Krillin and Yamcha spent more time training together than Goku and Krillin ever did.

My thesis concludes that Gohan is Krillin's best friend, but that won't be published for another few months Krillin is Gohan's best dad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

If anything, Goku and Krillin are childhood friends who are still close, and stay in touch (as much as Goku stays in touch with anyone, anyways) even though their lives went in different directions.

Amendment: Goku literally called Krillin his best friend like 3 episodes ago.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blockhouse posted:

eh goten has a personality. he's a very nice, sweet, and dumb boy who trunks is a terrible influence on.

Goten at least knows how to take care of babies so at least he isn't stupid like his bum of a father. He's just too nice to try and emotionally manipulate Trunks into being a good boy.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MasakoX did a video about Goku as a parent and all that. Brought up a quote from Toriyama that said while Goku cares about his family, to him they are companions which was the typical saiyajin mind set.

Regarding Gohan, I like what they are doing in Super with him. During the prelim he was enjoying watching the fighting, and realizes he does have that enjoyment of good battles too at some level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kild posted:

Amendment: Goku literally called Krillin his best friend like 3 episodes ago.

Because Krillin had something to teach him about fighting. Roshi will be his best friend next episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Maybe we'll find out that they all have a poker night or something and they don't invite Goku.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbf I would totally invite Goku to my poker nights. "let's see you've got an ace, 2, 3, 4, and a 5 and they're all hearts. that's bad goku, real bad, you gotta give me all your chips"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf I would totally invite Goku to my poker nights. "let's see you've got an ace, 2, 3, 4, and a 5 and they're all hearts. that's bad goku, real bad, you gotta give me all your chips"

Goku doesn't like to lose.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It would be great- you'd have a full house, he'd have a pair and you could.just goad him into going all in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dragon Ball might be a simple fight show. It might be a show about family drama and character interactions. But there's one thing that Dragon Ball never ever is under any circumstances: a manga.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Like anyone could beat Goku at anything remotely competitive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Goku's win-record post DB isn't exactly stellar.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

CharlestonJew posted:

goku's not gonna give you any chips

he loves eating chips

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RBX posted:

I think the only actual named opponents Goku has singlehandedly beaten in Super are Botamo, Bergamo, and he would have beaten Krillin. Everyone else he's either fought to a draw or lost to.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

But... he's good at rock, paper, scissors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

RBX posted:

But... he's good at rock, paper, scissors!

Vegeta beat him in that during the Buu saga.

• Locked thread