Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
When you think about if they can successfully market the RE Engine license to other game developers that should net them some hefty dough. The engine worked extremely well for what it needed to do and I bet people would love to tinker with it and see what it can truly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Once RE 2 Remake comes out, Capcom can dissolve for all I care.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Between RE6 and RE7, you had the REmake remaster (which sold extremely well for a rerelease of a 14-year-old GameCube game, especially via online storefronts), Umbrella Corps (which seems to have been some kind of failed experiment), and the RE0 remaster (which sold about as well as the REmake remaster did). You also had two films in the live-action franchise, both of which were financially successful.

RE7 came out in January in a year where very few games have been succeeding to expectations, received rave reviews, became a killer app for virtual reality, and was a genuine sales success. It only underperformed due to what turned out to be unrealistic projections, and even then, it almost fulfilled them. Given the length of the project and the cost of developing on new hardware, I can see where they might have wanted to do a little better than this, but RE7 is still a success.

Every time you bring up the market, veni veni veni, you seem to be mistaking your personal feelings for actual data. You really need to start doing even casual research before you form an opinion, because generally, you're pretty far opposite what's actually happening.

You completely missed the point and managed to not cite a single sales figure yourself. Good job!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

veni veni veni posted:

You completely missed the point and managed to not cite a single sales figure yourself. Good job!

My point was that your point is based on flawed data, which you appear to have made up out of whole cloth. You can't usefully claim the "brand name was damaged" when in the intervening four years, there have been three Resident Evil-branded games released, and all three were sales successes (http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html) despite all of them being initially released via electronic storefronts. Yeah, there's also Umbrella Corps (which appears to have been dead on arrival), but I don't think it's an accident that that game didn't have the RE name attached.

Further, while RE6 has a bad reputation among enthusiasts and critics, it's risen to become the second best-selling title in Capcom history. You can try to explain that all you like, but generally, out here in the real world, that means that the enthusiasts and the silent majority have a dramatic difference of opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You seem to think that I'm saying RE6 caused the franchise to flop, when I did not say that. I said that RE lost a chunk of mainstream appeal and is more niche than it used to be. Everything you or anyone else here has posted supports this. Everything post RE6 until 7 was either a remaster or a smaller budget value game. I didn't say they weren't successful, but they were successful in a much more modest way than Resident Evil at it peak. Capcom seemed to realize this and were happier with smaller numbers and spending less money on making RE games (for example they were very happy selling 1 million copies of REmaster for $20 each). I honestly don't even know what the hell you are trying to argue here.

My entire point was that after their recent strategy it's kind of surprising that they thought RE7 would sell a ton of copies, because it's not one of the "big" franchises like it used to be and it seemed like they knew it. Full disclosure so I don't get accused of making stuff up "whole cloth" I don't know the budget for RE7 and can't find it, but they obviously went a little more uh, frugal with it for lack of a better term so it seems reasonable to assume they wouldn't have expected RE5/6 sales.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 28, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

You seem to think that I'm saying RE6 caused the franchise to flop, when I did not say that. I said that RE lost a chunk of mainstream appeal and is more niche than it used to be. Everything you or anyone else here has posted supports this. Everything post RE6 until 7 was either a remaster or a smaller budget value game.

This is because RE7 was in production, and since RE4, it has taken them four to five years to produce the next installment in the main franchise. This is due to the larger development time and budgets required for modern triple-A titles.

RE7 is a brand-new game produced for several new platforms using a brand-new engine that also supports virtual reality. The game could be animated entirely with stick figures and there'd be nothing "frugal" about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: never mind this is stupid

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 28, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE7 failed to meet expectations cause it sucks.

Not that hard to figure out. :shrug:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

For someone who really likes to throw around accusations your posts are really stinking of armchair industry expert as well FYI.

It's not "armchair." I know what I'm talking about, since market analysis and research in the games industry used to be part of my full-time job, and you don't have a leg to stand on here.

Sales are kind of a messy subject, since it's hard to find accurate reports unless you can find a given company's shareholder report or similar data. That said, RE7 was the #2 best-selling game in February according to the NPD (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-best-selling-games-in-the-us-during-februar/1100-6448796/), and VG Chartz (which is often wrong, but is also one of the only games in town) has RE7 across all platforms as the #2 best-selling game of the year so far, behind Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Sales are one of the only ways that you can measure "mainstream appeal." By that metric, the RE brand is in fine shape, as it's managed to succeed despite stiff competition and flagging overall market sales.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I bet if they had made Mega Man Legends 3 like I wanted then karma would ensure RE7 sold better than it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

It's not "armchair." I know what I'm talking about, since market analysis and research in the games industry used to be part of my full-time job, and you don't have a leg to stand on here.

Sales are kind of a messy subject, since it's hard to find accurate reports unless you can find a given company's shareholder report or similar data. That said, RE7 was the #2 best-selling game in February according to the NPD (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-best-selling-games-in-the-us-during-februar/1100-6448796/), and VG Chartz (which is often wrong, but is also one of the only games in town) has RE7 across all platforms as the #2 best-selling game of the year so far, behind Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Sales are one of the only ways that you can measure "mainstream appeal." By that metric, the RE brand is in fine shape, as it's managed to succeed despite stiff competition and flagging overall market sales.

Edit: editing another post because I'm getting too personal over stupid game arguments.

Anyways like I said a half hour before you went back and found my post before I edited it, this argument is stupid and this is my last post regarding it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 28, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If I could add just one thing, ~~~FARTZZZ~~~

{Hilarious 90 second fart sound, everybody stood up and clapped}

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This isn't the Fable 2 thread

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I could add just one thing, ~~~FARTZZZ~~~

{Hilarious 90 second fart sound, everybody stood up and clapped}

I saw this happen it's all true.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Turns out CVX releases next week on PS4. They'll have improved the HD edition with better textures or a higher frame rate, right?

its the PS2 version through an emulator

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CVX is garbage anyway so :shrug:

Really goes on for way to long.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Alteisen posted:

CVX is garbage anyway so :shrug:

Really goes on for way to long.

Serious question, do you like anything? Because most of your posts in this thread are like this.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 6, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
RE7 is quite good, if you like Resident Evil games.

It's probably the best attempt at emulating the first one since, well, the REmake of the first one. I like the first person shift and the new gameplay elements.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Serious question, do you like anything? Because most of your posts in this thread are like this.

I like the first 3 RE's, 4-6 are ok, the latter 2 in coop, I really enjoy the revelations games as well.

CVX just wasn't good and I just don't like 7, it has nice atmosphere though!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vakal posted:

Something about this post is really funny on a meta level.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vakal posted:

Hey some of us like Resident Evil 3 too! :doom:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Convex posted:

Turns out CVX releases next week on PS4. They'll have improved the HD edition with better textures or a higher frame rate, right?

its the PS2 version through an emulator

Jesus, why. They have a working HD remaster of the game, why would they just emulate the PS2 version.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

man nurse posted:

Jesus, why. They have a working HD remaster of the game, why would they just emulate the PS2 version.

Cuz fast cash ins to make up for REVII shortsales

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't think I've seen this posted in here before, but it's a pretty interesting video that messes with the camera in RE 4 and shows some of the areas that they player can't normally get to, including what helicopter mike looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZrMD2drks

Vakal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 6, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
CVX PS4 special feature: enjoy forced 50hz mode in Europe complete with 17% slower gameplay :effort:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Convex posted:

CVX PS4 special feature: enjoy forced 50hz mode in Europe complete with 17% slower gameplay :effort:

still better than the messed up ps3 "hd" version

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At least that ran at full speed and had wide-screen though

Also HD menus

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The PS3 HD version was also running on a different engine entirely with support for dynamic lighting. It had its quirks, but Capcom put effort in there. They've done no such thing with the PS4 "HD" version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

still better than the messed up ps3 "hd" version

How is the PS3 version messed up?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

How is the PS3 version messed up?

Brightness is hosed

https://youtu.be/wBrSGa4vkT8

Also and they swapped the run and use buttons around whic messes with my muscle memory

Edit: posted a better video

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I'll take that over the loving emulated PAL version thanks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Again, the brightness was due to the switch to dynamic lighting.

To be honest, I kinda liked it. It made some areas of Code Veronica so dark that I decided to use the lighter and forgo a weapon. It made the experience feel a good bit different.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Again, the brightness was due to the switch to dynamic lighting.

To be honest, I kinda liked it. It made some areas of Code Veronica so dark that I decided to use the lighter and forgo a weapon. It made the experience feel a good bit different.

Check that comparison i posted though. You lose a ton of detail in the videos as well.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Convex posted:

how the gently caress is this still happening in 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Time must flow differently in Europe, necessitating different hertz rates in their technologies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

how the gently caress is this still happening in 2017

Laziness and ineptitude.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

In the land of Europe, the flow of time is distorted. The flow of time itself is convoluted; with hertz rates centuries old phasing in and out.

Anyways anyone willing to pay money for CV is a hapless fool in any case and as such they deserve slower gameplay, as to make their suffering continue to the end of time itself, or 17% longer at least. Man gently caress anyone who disses RE6 while liking CV or RE0, those games are so bad and I've played through them both multiple times just because I thought there had to be something good I was missing in there. There aint! They stink!

smuh fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 11, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CV was cool when it came out but it doesn't look like it's aged well. If nothing else it was cool seeing RE step into the next gen at the time.I really liked it but I don't remember anything about it and have no desire to return to it.

RE6 was a big turd shooter in a sea of better turd shooters.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I'll take that over the loving emulated PAL version thanks.

Not just that, the switch to framework messed the frame rate up in fmvs. Whole things feels unpolished. Best to just emulate the ps2 or gc versions with the widescreen patch.

Or play the code veronica section in darkside chronicles which fixes the story too and is a better version in everyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As long as they are re-releasing every RE under the sun they better get around to Chronicles because those games were great. Please add VR support too.