Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I do Costco, Aldi, then Hyvee. Every Saturday.

Kids are expensive and like to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

No Butt Stuff posted:

I do Costco, Aldi, then Hyvee. Every Saturday.

Kids are expensive and like to eat.

I agree on this order of operations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Also in the "contributions to thread" department, while it hadn't been "interest bearing" debt for a long time, this morning's paycheck was the final blow struck against credit card debt from when we were young, poor, trainees living beyond our means.

:woop: officially credit card debt free! :woop:

Now nothing is subject to an interest rate above 8!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also in the "contributions to thread" department, while it hadn't been "interest bearing" debt for a long time, this morning's paycheck was the final blow struck against credit card debt from when we were young, poor, trainees living beyond our means.

That's seriously great news, congrats :peanut:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Dude, that's AWESOME! Way to go :hfive:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nice job! Has to feel ooooooohhhhh so good!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Some significant news in that case. It's great to hear that you've smashed the credit card debt. This must make a huge difference to your debt servicing cashflow. :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just turned 31 and my retirement accounts just went over $100,000. now to get to $750K in the next 9 years.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spwrozek posted:

Just turned 31 and my retirement accounts just went over $100,000. now to get to $750K in the next 9 years.
Is $850k your FI number? Nice work. I'm at ~15%-to-FI as well and it feels good to be making real progress

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Blinky2099 posted:

Is $850k your FI number? Nice work. I'm at ~15%-to-FI as well and it feels good to be making real progress

How does one go about calculating their FI number?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I have over 1000 dollars in my savings account for the first time ever (sad at 25 but whatever) and my car insurance dropped by 70 bucks a month! I do have retirement savings separate at least but still! Fixing my poo poo from loving up in college/having horrible depression is finally paying off! Plus over 600 in my checking without my next paycheck on Friday! At least I dont have any credit card debt either thank god

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Blinky2099 posted:

I am not really sure at this point. It is something I need to figure out but just haven't had the time. I know exactly what I have spent since 2013 so that is a starting point. Looking at the last year or so I would say I am living on about $4000 a month (taking out my saving).

So that would be $48,000 a year, at a 4% withdraw rate that will put me needing $1.2M (kinda of ignoring taxes here so not exactly right). The hard part is figuring out the gap between retirement and being able to touch the IRA's and 401K. I started a taxable account this year and every raise I get the net is going to be added to the monthly amount I put in there. I started with $500 a month this year and want to bump it to $750 next year, then $1000, $1250, etc. I am trying to balance the saving and the still living and having fun. I mean I am not shy about spending money, my vacation spend to date will show that for sure. Obviously a lot to think about but just trying to move in the right direction.

IllegallySober posted:

How does one go about calculating their FI number?

Figure out what you need to live on per month, multiply by 12 to get the yearly number, guess your taxes and add that in, figure out a "safe" withdraw rate (3-5%) by figuring out if you want your money to last right until your predicted death or longer, divide by that number, and that will get you there. If you plan to still work some (maybe consulting in your chosen career) it throws a wrench in things. It can be simple but it is also complicated.

It is discussed in the Four Pillars and Bogelheads guide, both worth reading.

KitConstantine posted:

I have over 1000 dollars in my savings account for the first time ever (sad at 25 but whatever) and my car insurance dropped by 70 bucks a month! I do have retirement savings separate at least but still! Fixing my poo poo from loving up in college/having horrible depression is finally paying off! Plus over 600 in my checking without my next paycheck on Friday! At least I dont have any credit card debt either thank god

Hey man, progress is progress. Great Job!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

KitConstantine posted:

Yeah, the counter-intuitive part of financial success is that it gets easier, even as the numbers to get to the next step get larger. Saving that first $1000 is huge (and frankly, 25 is not that old to be getting there, especially with no credit card debt and some retirement).

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, the counter-intuitive part of financial success is that it gets easier, even as the numbers to get to the next step get larger. Saving that first $1000 is huge (and frankly, 25 is not that old to be getting there, especially with no credit card debt and some retirement).

Yeah its really amazing how much stacks up after you get a good start. I did f up my credit score with a store card in college, but only to the tune of about 1000 dollars. The issue is that I have a drat near pathological aversion to the things now even though I know I should have one. Probably will pull the trigger on getting one once I'm back over 675, use it for just netflix, pay off just after the billing cycle, the usual rules.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Grumpwagon posted:

Can confirm. ~10 years ago when I was just getting started in my debt free journey I thought I'd never be able to save up a few thousand dollars to buy a (lovely) car. It's pretty crazy how quickly your mindset and financial picture can change with planning and moderate discipline.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

my main goal is being student loan free by october 18, 2018, my 30th birthday. i've slacked off a bit recently but i'm still on pace to be able to hit it.

as of today i'm down to ~11,600.

checked my retirement account for the first time in ages and there's more money in there than i owe on my loans.

feels good.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

baram. posted:

my main goal is being student loan free by october 18, 2018, my 30th birthday. i've slacked off a bit recently but i'm still on pace to be able to hit it.

checked my retirement account for the first time in ages and there's more money in there than i owe on my loans.

feels good.

All of that is awesome. Congrats on the progress!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

baram. posted:

feels good.

Nice! My plan has me debt free with like 15-20k by 34. Sucks I couldn't get started earlier but I'm wearing out the effects of past poverty one day at a time.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 4, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Paid off 1 of 3 credit cards today :buddy:
If I can live off string cheese and keep above water for three months I'll be in a good position to kill off the rest of my debt

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

1/3 of the way to the two comma club. :toot:

These past couple years of market bonanza have put me somewhat ahead of plan, on paper, until something inevitably shits the bed. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My NW numbers look really good right now but I'm increasingly convinced that this is all a mirage and that the admin will manage to gently caress things up big time

on the other hand maybe it's just time to accept that I'm now going to get put up against the wall when the revolution comes and to just ride it out with my plutocratic bretheren

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm trying to get my spending under control and this seems like a good place to post/get inspired.

First on the chopping trimming block: goddamn Amazon. Last year was particularly bad -- hobby tools and project supplies added up to a lot -- but I'm encouraged so far:

Amazon spend YTD: $240.80
Same time last year: $1,150.22

That's a massive 77% reduction YoY (sorry Jeff!) so let's see if I can sustain anything approaching that.

Next up: dining out. That'll actually be tougher given my dislike of cooking. Time to break out the Instant Pot, I think.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I'm trying to get my spending under control and this seems like a good place to post/get inspired.

First on the chopping trimming block: goddamn Amazon. Last year was particularly bad -- hobby tools and project supplies added up to a lot -- but I'm encouraged so far:

Amazon spend YTD: $240.80
Same time last year: $1,150.22

That's a massive 77% reduction YoY (sorry Jeff!) so let's see if I can sustain anything approaching that.

Next up: dining out. That'll actually be tougher given my dislike of cooking. Time to break out the Instant Pot, I think.

So long as you didn't spend that $900 at alternate Amazon replacement retailers, I'm impressed!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! No, I don't think I shifted my spending elsewhere -- it was largely a matter of saying to myself "How badly do I want this poo poo?" and then answering honestly. And let's face it, these are wants rather than needs much, much more often.

On the topic of Amazon: they (obviously) have many ways to entice you to buy things. One-click shopping, recommendations, Prime, pretty much everything they do. But there are a couple of things Amazon has which have actually helped me clamp down on my spending there, and I've been telling everyone to use them. The biggest is the ability to retrieve a report of all your purchases by date range, I believe on the left side of your main account page. I'm on mobile at the moment and it won't show up, but I know for a fact it exists when viewed on desktop.

edit: click on "Account & Lists" and you'll find it in the "Ordering and shopping preferences" section at the "Download order reports" link:

Let me just say that it can be tremendously eye-opening to total up how much you've spent with them. Then you start going through the list and start wondering what exactly possessed you to buy some of that poo poo. That's when asking yourself how badly you want something becomes much more effective vs. just going "lol, I sure get a lot of Amazon deliveries! :downs:"

Another, smaller thing is the "Save for later" feature they have built into the cart. I think it's a relatively recent addition, and probably not much different from a wishlist. Still, it has helped me as well: I've moved stuff from the cart to "later" and if it's still sitting there after weeks have passed, I delete it.

It genuinely feels good to bring that back to a more sane level.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 12, 2017

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Trabant posted:

Good for you for reducing your spending, but is Amazon just one category for you?

I buy a ridiculous amount from them (given how much I disapprove of the company), but it's across many different categories that I budget individually and don't overspend in--groceries, housewares, entertainment, gifts, sometimes clothing.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Trabant posted:

Thanks! No, I don't think I shifted my spending elsewhere -- it was largely a matter of saying to myself "How badly do I want this poo poo?" and then answering honestly. And let's face it, these are wants rather than needs much, much more often.

On the topic of Amazon: they (obviously) have many ways to entice you to buy things. One-click shopping, recommendations, Prime, pretty much everything they do. But there are a couple of things Amazon has which have actually helped me clamp down on my spending there, and I've been telling everyone to use them. The biggest is the ability to retrieve a report of all your purchases by date range, I believe on the left side of your main account page. I'm on mobile at the moment and it won't show up, but I know for a fact it exists when viewed on desktop.

edit: click on "Account & Lists" and you'll find it in the "Ordering and shopping preferences" section at the "Download order reports" link:

Let me just say that it can be tremendously eye-opening to total up how much you've spent with them. Then you start going through the list and start wondering what exactly possessed you to buy some of that poo poo. That's when asking yourself how badly you want something becomes much more effective vs. just going "lol, I sure get a lot of Amazon deliveries! :downs:"

Another, smaller thing is the "Save for later" feature they have built into the cart. I think it's a relatively recent addition, and probably not much different from a wishlist. Still, it has helped me as well: I've moved stuff from the cart to "later" and if it's still sitting there after weeks have passed, I delete it.

It genuinely feels good to bring that back to a more sane level.

This is really great to hear. A little bit of mindfulness goes a long way. Congrats!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

epenthesis posted:

Good for you for reducing your spending, but is Amazon just one category for you?

I buy a ridiculous amount from them (given how much I disapprove of the company), but it's across many different categories that I budget individually and don't overspend in--groceries, housewares, entertainment, gifts, sometimes clothing.

That's a valid point. I guess I lumped it all together because Amazon really felt like it was becoming a money sinkhole across the board.

But to your point, I was curious and looked at the product categories. It seems like I made progress all around (and slightly miscalculated first time I did this):

code:
Category			2016	2017	% change
Apparel				14.74		-100%
Automotive			17.98		-100%
Baby Product			39.8		-100%
Electronics			45.5	44.45	-2%
Health and Beauty		360.35	142.94	-60%
Kitchen				169.93		-100%
Misc.				335.87	15.98	-95%
Personal Computers		48.59		-100%
Shoes				52.95		-100%
Sports				34.61	23.93	-31%
Tools & Home Improvement	88.01	13.51	-85%
(blank)				7.82		-100%
Grand Total			1216.15	240.81	-80%
The back half of 2016 was truly awful on the Tools side of things, so here's hoping I don't fall back into that.

pig slut lisa posted:

This is really great to hear. A little bit of mindfulness goes a long way. Congrats!

:tipshat:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
BFC, I have done it. Finally. This month is the month.

I now have more cash on hand than I owe people. Feels good man.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Awesome! That is the best feeling ever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Way to go!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Trabant posted:

Way to go!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

overdesigned posted:

BFC, I have done it. Finally. This month is the month.

I now have more cash on hand than I owe people. Feels good man.

:peanut:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This is an awesome month for you, sincere congratulations. Go buy yourself something nice you can't afford (ha).

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
A few weeks back I found out my manager was going to give me a 6% raise, but I declined it, because I had been hourly, and the raise would have pushed me above the limit to be required overtime (which I now know never even went into effect). I was going to take it eventually, but it was a particularly busy time and I was getting a lot of overtime and I didn't want to give it up.

Well, now the company is switching all of management back to salary since the new overtime rules didn't go into effect, and I got a call from my regional manager saying he saw while doing my paperwork that my annual raise was due and he put in for 11% so I'm pretty stoked to see holding out worked.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BAE OF PIGS posted:

A few weeks back I found out my manager was going to give me a 6% raise, but I declined it, because I had been hourly, and the raise would have pushed me above the limit to be required overtime (which I now know never even went into effect). I was going to take it eventually, but it was a particularly busy time and I was getting a lot of overtime and I didn't want to give it up.

Well, now the company is switching all of management back to salary since the new overtime rules didn't go into effect, and I got a call from my regional manager saying he saw while doing my paperwork that my annual raise was due and he put in for 11% so I'm pretty stoked to see holding out worked.

hell yeah, that rules :black101:

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
After several years of loving around after high school and being an overall mess of a person I decided to (somewhat) get my poo poo together and pursue a degree. Two weeks ago I attended my commencement and received my associate's diploma for computer engineering. I'm also <10K in debt post-graduation and it looks like companies are in dire need of software developers. Thanks community college!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Get Innocuous! posted:

After several years of loving around after high school and being an overall mess of a person I decided to (somewhat) get my poo poo together and pursue a degree. Two weeks ago I attended my commencement and received my associate's diploma for computer engineering. I'm also <10K in debt post-graduation and it looks like companies are in dire need of software developers. Thanks community college!

Community college turns out to be one of the best decisions someone can make if they pick a field where jobs are in demand. Congratulations.

For content, I wanted to share I was able to obtain raises at work totaling what works out to be 15% of my base salary. I'm sure I owe a debt of gratitude to Dwight Eisenhower and the negotiation megathread, as pursuing another opportunity this April led to a BATNA which was compelling enough for my manager to request this raise and assign me a new title.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Community college turns out to be one of the best decisions someone can make if they pick a field where jobs are in demand. Congratulations.

For content, I wanted to share I was able to obtain raises at work totaling what works out to be 15% of my base salary. I'm sure I owe a debt of gratitude to Dwight Eisenhower and the negotiation megathread, as pursuing another opportunity this April led to a BATNA which was compelling enough for my manager to request this raise and assign me a new title.

:glomp:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Another BFC success story :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Get Innocuous! posted:

I was in the same situation, 9 years ago! Except zero debt, and I was lucky enough to get shoved into community college by my parents right after high school.

I was not super wise with my money in the subsequent years (new car, lots of nonsense), but not having crushing debt allowed those early mistakes to not really matter so much. Most people my age are probably worth nothing or worse, and let's just say I have a lot more than nothing. You can easily send yourself down the same path.